Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Frank Worthington RIP

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recall seeing him at Molineux as player manager of Tranmere.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a player
What a goal
Thoughts and prayers to all his family and friends at this sad time

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bloke in our village looked very much like Frank. Same hairstyle and moustache etc.

We thought he was a bit exotic and interesting as kids.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a star & what a goal!
RIP BIG Frank.
Wanted us to sign him, when he was in his prime.

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another great player and character from that era departs.
RIP Frank.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah no, R.I.P. Frank. Was only looking at an old picture of him on a Goal magazine last night.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So sad to read about Frank Worthington.

He really had all the charisma and was a top player imo.

Rest in peace Frank. You are joining many other legends up there.

Condolences to all Franks family and friends.

Gedwolf

Reaction score
RIP Frank, a real maverick. Too many of the great characters of the game leaving us now.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lose yet another great player to the football field in the sky.

Frank Worthington was one of those characters in the game, the likes of which we rarely see now in the modern, sterile game.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Last edited:

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lose yet another great player to the football field in the sky.

Frank Worthington was one of those characters in the game, the likes of which we rarely see now in the modern, sterile game.

My heartfelt condolences to his friends and family.
Sterile is an excellent description of the modern game, where are the Frank Worthington's now ? can't think of any modern player who compares to Frank, RIP.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good player and a great character. Iirc, he was a big Elvis Presley fan and often mimicked him at player parties etc... Sad loss.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sterile is an excellent description of the modern game, where are the Frank Worthington's now ? can't think of any modern player who compares to Frank, RIP.

A different period it has to be said Wednesbury when players would have banter with the crowd. Tony Currie, Stanley Bowles and Rodney Marsh as well as Big Frank immediately spring to mind.

D

Deleted member 8123

Met him many years ago on the motorway services. Great bloke and footballer.

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
Rip frank , remember you being one of the very top players as I grew up , a house old name , I think I remember you wearing tights the one Xmas if I’m not mistaken , great player , rip

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the 80’s I was working in Sweden and trained with Mjallby a year or so after Frank had played for them. Everybody wanted to talk about him, he certainly led an active life over there and left his mark on the people of Solvesborg and Hallevik. I always wanted to meet him and ask him privately if the stories I heard in Sweden where true.

RIP Maverick.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't it Frank who in a magazine quiz put down the answer for 'Most difficult opponent' as 'My ex-wife' ?
Great player. RIP

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
You can keep Ronaldinho, Messi, Ibrahimovic, none of them could hold a candle to the talent of Frank Worthington. This is the best goal I’ve seen and apparently he equaled it at Molineux for Stockport but nobody saw it because the fog was that thick. I’ll never forget the site of Frank appearing out of the mist on the halfway line celebrating and we hadn’t the foggiest he’d scored. A character and a player RIP Frank.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
You can keep Ronaldinho, Messi, Ibrahimovic, none of them could hold a candle to the talent of Frank Worthington. This is the best goal I’ve seen and apparently he equaled it at Molineux for Stockport but nobody saw it because the fog was that thick. I’ll never forget the site of Frank appearing out of the mist on the halfway line celebrating and we hadn’t the foggiest he’d scored. A character and a player RIP Frank.
I remember that game Marcus and then in the second half when we still couldn’t see a thing out of the gloom we seemed to have a 5 on one break and I think it was Nigel Vaughan who equalised

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BBC football on line have that remarkable picture of Frank ' signing ' for Liverpool from Huddersfield with Shanks and Bob Paisley stood over him, only for Frank to fail the medical due to high blood pressure and the deal collapsing. Talk about what could have been.

I have just been on YouTube so I could see that goal of absolute genius for Bolton against Ipswich which for me easily sits in mine and I dare say many others Top Ten all time goals.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So true. All so bland now in comparison. FW, Stan Bowles, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Peter Osgood and George Best of course to name a few. All part of my football education and my love for the game. RIP Frank.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So true. All so bland now in comparison. FW, Stan Bowles, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Peter Osgood and George Best of course to name a few. All part of my football education and my love for the game. RIP Frank.

There were so many characters in the game back then. We lost another in Peter Lorimer.

Personal favourite was Waggy, my Dad preferred The Doog

Frank was up there with the best.

Reaction score
Great player from the 70's!
Had to laugh at the quote when he said he'd had 11 clubs,12 if You included `Stringfellows'.
RIP

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
So some time around 1978 I am at a Bolton match (sorry!), maybe against Notts Forest. My apologies to you as a big mate of mine at uni was a Bolton fan who actually was on the pitch like me at the end of that amazing end of season promotion match when we did them right royally. But, I digress badly.
Anyway, at the Bolton match we get talking to another couple of fans who turn out to be Leicester fans who would also occasionally travel the country to watch Frank Worthington when Leicester were not playing! There's only very special players who get that kind of adulation and it speaks volumes of the qualities he had and not just as a goalscorer.
Frank Worthington - a genius at football and obviously another one let down by robotic traditionalists at the FA.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great player with all the talent in the world. He is famous for that goal for Bolton against Ipswich, but Frank Worthington often did outrageous thing. He was an entertainer, and he gave joy to many football fans. Whether you supported the team he played for was not important. It was a pleasure just watching him play.

R.I.P.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He might well have accepted his fate. Lived life to the full on and off the field. That rare breed where entertainment and personal enjoyment was more important than results - him, Stan Bowles, Gazza, and the rest. Remember him laughing nearly to the point of collapse when Geoff Palmer tried to take him out and missing by yards. Top, top man.

Back
Top Bottom