Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Four years ago today

SevernWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
What a night! I had tickets for a gig. The headliners came on stage at half time, but they had the match on the telly in the downstairs bar and I could see the win coming. My wife ended up seeing most of the gig on her own.

What a shame we p*ssed away the semi-final. I really felt we were going to carry on and win it.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was evident looking back at those clips was of how fluid and on the front foot we were and how mobile and attack minded Jonny was
Yep, soak up pressure, win the ball and attack!

Winning the ball deep and quickly move the ball forward - not just a hit and hope, but measured one and two touch football to move through the lines as quickly as possible with support from both WB's and attackers who got forward to where damage could be inflicted.

Glorious. Almost.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Yep, soak up pressure, win the ball and attack!

Winning the ball deep and quickly move the ball forward - not just a hit and hope, but measured one and two touch football to move through the lines as quickly as possible with support from both WB's and attackers who got forward to where damage could be inflicted.

Glorious. Almost.
Notwithstanding Mikey saying that was Raul’s 15th goal of the season .
Heady days

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I remember thinking multiple times that season that it might not ever get better than this for us Wolves fans. Good periods come and go so you have to appreciate the highs when they're happening. What a season that was, with some amazing games. We also came from behind at Molineux to beat Man United in the league a few weeks later. Great times.

Some of our attacking play was scincilating that season. This is the team that won that quarter final.

Ruddy
Boly, Coady, Saiss, Otto, Doherty,
Dendoncker, Neves, Moutinho,
Raul, Jota.

With the exception of Ruddy, that was probably our strongest team. Adama was on the bench to wreak havoc later in games. In its pomp this team was magical, and as the sum of its collective parts was the best team I've personally experienced supporting Wolves. Led by Nuno, Wolves greatest manager in my lifetime too (although I hope Lopetegui eclipses that). It might well be the best Wolves team I'll ever get to see in my lifetime. What wonderful memories we have from Nuno's reign.

4406.jpg

2686.jpg

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember thinking multiple times that season that it might not ever get better than this for us Wolves fans. Good periods come and go so you have to appreciate the highs when they're happening. What a season that was, with some amazing games. We also came from behind at Molineux to beat Man United in the league a few weeks later. Great times.

Some of our attacking play was scincilating that season. This is the team that won that quarter final.

Ruddy
Boly, Coady, Saiss, Otto, Doherty,
Dendoncker, Neves, Moutinho,
Raul, Jota.

With the exception of Ruddy and the inclusion of Jonny, that was probably our strongest team. Adama was on the bench to wreak havoc later in games. In its pomp this team was magical, and as the sum of its collective parts was the best team I've personally experienced supporting Wolves. Led by Nuno, Wolves greatest manager in my lifetime too (although I hope Lopetegui eclipses that). It might well be the best Wolves team I'll ever get to see in my lifetime. What wonderful memories we have from Nuno's reign.

View attachment 33567

View attachment 33568
You know Otto and Jonny are the same person right?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was having a meal out for a birthday. Fortunately, they had a bar with the match on, and despite getting told off, I watched most of the game.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably my all-time fave game/pregame.

I just remember getting out the taxi in town few hours before and felt that atmosphere in the pubs that something special was about to happen.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Jota goal probably gets ruled out on VAR now
There's probably a stupid time (lockdown maybe) when they'd look at it more. No way it would be given as a foul now though.

The flags made it for me. Everyone this side of Walsall still has some flag too!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was evident looking back at those clips was of how fluid and on the front foot we were and how mobile and attack minded Jonny was
Some scribes on here would have you believe that Nuno game was limited and unexciting….. simply because in his last season he had no goals left in the team due to sales and injuries and had to grind out the wins to keep us up, still finishing 12th!!!

It’s like they had collective amnesia about the thrills of the first 3 years

Ebbo

Reaction score
The most collectively drunk the South Bank has ever been I reckon! The atmosphere in the pubs in the daytime, and then in the ground was just 'off the scale''. An incredible and never to be forgotten night. Something very very special.

Egga

Groupie
Reaction score
Late kick off if I remember right. Got to the Clarendon quite early and Bully came in with free drink vouchers. Got to say one of my favourite wolves games ever.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Snap! Was going to say the same. We moved the ball faster and with more precision back then. Also, our set pieces were so much more threatening.

Looking back, I see the Covid break as the cutoff point. We've never got back to that level since then. When was Jonny's first main injury? Around that time? Again, in hindsight, from that team, it's the loss of Jota and Doc, together with Raul and Jonny injuries, that have hit us most. Despite trying, we've not managed to replaced them effectively.

But still, an extra special magical day in a period when we had many.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A perfect day. The evening kick off time on a Saturday made it all the better. The atmosphere was as good as I've ever heard Molineux. Absolute chaos when that 2nd goal went in. Fell down several steps with about 4 people I'd never spoken to before or since.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably my all-time fave game/pregame.

I just remember getting out the taxi in town few hours before and felt that atmosphere in the pubs that something special was about to happen.

100%

The pubs were buzzing. Remember watching Swansea vs Man City, and Swansea being 2-0 up. Thinking, ****ing hell it's winner takes all tonight at this rate.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some scribes on here would have you believe that Nuno game was limited and unexciting….. simply because in his last season he had no goals left in the team due to sales and injuries and had to grind out the wins to keep us up, still finishing 12th!!!

It’s like they had collective amnesia about the thrills of the first 3 years
So true sir, suspect the words "never had it so good" will echo for years!!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite match at Molineux.

It’s a cliche, but the roof really felt like it came off the place when Jota smashed in the second.

Truly magical Molineux evening.

Nights like that feel like a distant memory at the moment. I sincerely hope we stop up this season and see if Lopetegui can match or better the heady days under Nuno.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Halcyon days.

Those couple years were just magical. It was like 40 years of pain was being repaid by the football gods.

Treasure that team. Fans of other clubs wouldn’t understand, but that Jota goal to me means just as much as what Solskaer v Bayern does for United fans, or like Liverpool fans felt like in Istanbul.

As I say, that ball hitting the net felt like 40 years of pain had been all worthwhile.

We will never, ever have another manager like Nuno either. Still miss him so much.

Back
Top Bottom