Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Forest Verdict

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't subscribe to the "a win is all that matters" school of thought
Two very poor teams, with Infogol giving xG of Wolves 1.24 - 1.42 Forest
Strip out the 0.8 for the penalty and that means Wolves created 0.44 against a very bad Forest side
Strip out the chances created and shots by Adama Traore and the xG from the rest of the team was 0.14
Why would you take the xG stats of the most attacking player from the rest of team to prove a point? He's part of the team and tactics, without him it's the xG of a 10 man team. It's like Man City fans taking Haaland's stats out if their xG and Arsenal taking Jesus's xG stats out to say they're not as effective without one of their main attacking players. No **** Sherlock.

I'd agree our overall xG isn't very good though. However, I'm really struggling work out how Forest had a higher xG than us. Kilman hit the inside of the post from the 6 yard line and we had numerous opportunities in the first half from close range. Only real chance I can remember that Forest had, apart from the penalty, was the header from the corner in the second half.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were easily the better team against Forest who created the sum total of **** all.
It was an improvement to me today, uncomfortable to watch and not what I want but an improvement.
it’s probably why I choose to trust my own eyes and not pay attention to Stats…at no point today did i feel that Forest were more likely to score than us.
Yeah agree, other than a couple of half decent chances from set pieces Forest created nothing and we weren't really stretched defensively. While we didn't actually create a great deal in terms of chances ourselves I do think we were just a better decision or final ball away. We saw quite a few efforts to slip people into dangerous positions that we haven't seen since forever, they didn't come off but it was fine margins and think it'll improve again at Palace on Tuesday

Cosford

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't subscribe to the "a win is all that matters" school of thought
Two very poor teams, with Infogol giving xG of Wolves 1.24 - 1.42 Forest
Strip out the 0.8 for the penalty and that means Wolves created 0.44 against a very bad Forest side
Strip out the chances created and shots by Adama Traore and the xG from the rest of the team was 0.14
The only numbers which matter are 1 - 0 to Wolves.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give Adama what he wants? Going against the grain here but I thought he saw a lot of the ball but did very little with it. Two decent crosses, amongst the usual aimless overhit ones.
Oops sorry I was trying to just be positive! But really, I don't think he's worth what he seems to have been asking for.
Won the penalty

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa 8- Hero
Jonny 5- Rough day
Max 6- Fine
Toti 5- Fine but the first half was rough
RAN 7- Dangerous
Nunes 6- 7 minus 1 for the pen
Neves 8- This ******* guy
Moutinho 6- OK
Adama 7- Gave it to Adama. Mixed bag. Gave defensive effort
Costa 6- Worked hard
Pod 5- Passing it to Pod was generally a bad idea today

Subs: no grade.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question for those who commented re Toti. How did he play compared to last season? It seems that there were not the same thoughts on him last season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This team showed *******s today. That’s what we needed to see, now let’s build on this!!

Seeing Mouts on the sideline animated and barking orders was great, Hodge smashing their player late on was brilliant… the players are desperate to win and turn this around.

Baby steps.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question for those who commented re Toti. How did he play compared to last season? It seems that there were not the same thoughts on him last season.
I was at Brentford away.. I thought he looked solid enough in a back 5 last season. A lot calmer than today.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of things I've noticed. Side are better with Costa in it and Traore better with Costa in the side.
Agree. They instantly changed the game against West Ham when playing together.

Hopefully Costa can scramble one in soon, as it’s great to see the rest of his contribution.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
First 60 minutes wee good, we bossed it 95%.
But... we have totally lost our shape from 60 minutes -> on the field in our latest home games. Both Lage and now Davids have failed to introduce B Traore in time, and as a result we have more or less collapsed during the final 30 minutes.
We were unlucky against the Toon, but rode our luck today.
Bring Traore on while we still have some functional shape on the pitch, then he could have some influence and hopefully keep our gameplan.

But if we bring him on in the "83rd minute" as we have done in our last homegames, there is really nothing he can do to help us keep control of the midfield in the final 30 minutes...

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This team showed *******s today. That’s what we needed to see, now let’s build on this!!

Seeing Mouts on the sideline animated and barking orders was great, Hodge smashing their player late on was brilliant… the players are desperate to win and turn this around.

Baby steps.
I agree. Couldn't really ask for more effort as they gave their all, ulike in most games under Bruno.

Now they need someone clever to point out a way to play effective attacking football.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just about did enough to win. Not sure either was penalties to be honest. Forest got what they deserved with that post. Serves them right for that. Time we go an attack Palace get a result there things are on the up

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad we won but we were very fortunate with a penalty and Sa saving one.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Couldn't really ask for more effort as they gave their all, ulike in most games under Bruno.

Now they need someone clever to point out a way to play effective attacking football.
It’s nearly there. I think using Nunes further back and getting Podence on the ball further forward would be a start.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore did well at both ends today. Personally I want him here as he offers something different. Costa occupies defenders more than any other striker we have . Nunes needs to be part of a diamond behind a two in a 442 for me . Costa and Hwang up too. Hwang looks well up for it this year. All this moaning about Fabio going on loan yet Hwang looks a yard quicker than last season and two yards quicker than Fabio.
Point or better v palace and we are in a roll for Leicester

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did, yes. Wasn't a performance worth drooling over and offering a fat contract for.
Would I want Traore I. My tent ****ing out or outside my tent ****ing in. He is young enough and offers something different in a team of few options . He is worth a new deal. It will help his confidence

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Showed bottle today. Got the three points. Bit of luck along with it which is always welcome. These are the wins we need atm, all this craving for attacking football and 45 shots a game aint gonna come anytime soon.

B.Traore did alright again and Hodge def has something about him 100 percent a option for the first team.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the team were a lot more together today as well. They all celebrated the goal, and their reactions at the final whistle were very emotional. Whether it's Neves or Davis behind it, or the absence of Lage, they were all in it together and fought hard for the win. Maybe the beginning of a team emerging

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mind you, the one I couldnt get me head around was the booing of Jota.
Why on earth?

The Jota booing was to put a player off and a bit of fun, how I took it. He got a standing ovation and chant when he was subbed off, and rightly so for what he contributed here.

MGW would not have had either.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a bit like those 1-0 wins we ground out in the Covid season against Sheff U and Fulham. Didn't look much better than relegation fodder, but we won and they didn't. In first half, comfortable until the final 3rd where we were as disjointed as usual. After scoring, disjointed in all 3 thirds. Possibly more to do with Forest sitting back in the first half, giving us space? Once they had to have a go, they did make us creaky. Lots of panicky miskicks and clumsy challenges from both sides. Though we'd left the subs a bit late, they won their penalty when we were looking tired.

Match won by Sa's excellent save on their penalty and Neves excellent despatching of ours. Not that Sa (or Forest keeper really) had much to do. As said, lots of errors, typified by Adama who was very good at times, but then also messed up that final ball. Won the penalty. Nunes looked good at times, but also made mistakes and was often angry at others for poor decision making and looked frustrated in a "I am surrounded by incompetents" kind of way. So joined them by giving away a penalty.

The sight of our players shouting at each other may be a positive, at least it showed they care. Looked like the put more effort and fight into this match than any other so far. Costa also, trying to sort the rabble out. We need it. £100M of so-called "quality" signings.. and having to resort to scrapping with 7 foot tall Championship level defenders :D We have to keep that level up for every match now. (else they will be scrapping 7ft tall Championship defenders every week. That should motivate them!) , And to add in a little bit more speed of thought when attacking. First half, was still too slow, though better than most of this year.

So now only one point behind Liverpool in mid-October, we'd all have wanted that pre-season.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought the atmosphere was a lot better today. We dominated the first half and were unlucky not to score. We had more people getting in the box and were better at maintaining pressure. We continued in the same vein after the break until we scored, after which we didn’t seem to know whether to stick or twist and fell between the two and therefore started to panic.

We were unlucky with some of our forward play. It looked better than recently but often the final ball was poor, overhit or just cut out.

At the back we were largely ok other than self inflicted pressure through mistakes. Toti performed as I expected, generally ok but has a ticket in him. He was not so bad that he shouldn’t have played vs West Ham.

Finally Adama had probably his best team game for a while. Yes he overhit crosses, made the wrong decision (Costa was annoyed with him), and put one shot into the crowd when he had a good opening but he actually played for the team and linked with team mates. It wasn’t just Adama ball.

Back
Top Bottom