Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

For ****'s sake... sign a striker and stop making excuses

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like him to come out and at least explain the strategy this season and going forwards. Silence from him for months now and I think quite a few would like some clarity.
You say it like its changed, it hasnt. What can he had clarity to?

All he would say is "the onus is on youth with a mix of experience) then point out the young players in the summer brought in and Marcal as the experience.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jimenez, Silva, Cutrone, Mir, Bonatini, Campana. We have six senior out-and-out strikers on our books, without even looking at wide forwards who could play through the middle, or the U23s. The money has been spent, but the recruitment and utilisation has been poor.

Dadashov as well another highly rated kid but he got injured and is on his a way back

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimenez, Silva, Cutrone, Mir, Bonatini, Campana. We have six senior out-and-out strikers on our books, without even looking at wide forwards who could play through the middle, or the U23s. The money has been spent, but the recruitment and utilisation has been poor.
The latter 3 didnt cost £10 million between them hardly anything to worry about when we will probably make the majority of that back in loan fees and sales.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The latter 3 didnt cost £10 million between them hardly anything to worry about when we will probably make the majority of that back in loan fees and sales.
But do you think that was the original intent behind the purchases? It's a small outlay in the grand scheme of things, and you're quite correct, we aren't exactly going to lose anything. I doubt we'll even lose much on Cutrone or Silva, and may even make money if things take an upward turn for them.

But when those purchases were made, was the thinking really that we'd make our money back, or was it that these players would develop to be in our squad, our team? Raul has been a success, Silva has his whole career ahead of him. But Nuno obviously hasn't fancied the other four, and even now, who's to say what position Cutrone finds himself in?

I think Fosun have made the money available, and I think Nuno is a fantastic manager, but there is an area somewhere in between - recruitment for the first team - where things haven't gone right, and that's most problematic with strikers.

I understand the club's thinking in that everything has to be right for a purchase to be made, in terms of age and value and everything else, but if you end up in the position that we're in, with your main striker injured and none of the other five on your books ready to step in, you're asking for trouble.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we were playing 5 at the back and pace in attack we're Wolverhampton we're on ar way back.Every player knew his position,as mentioned many times by the pundits.Now we are mostly playing 4 at the back the players are still learning where they are supposed to be on the pitch.I'd definitely gew back to wat we know for the remainder of the season.And work on the new system in the pre season training ready for the new season.Any striker coming in now will still have to work to Nuno's instructions,and we are not gonna get a striker of Rauls ability for peanuts.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But do you think that was the original intent behind the purchases? It's a small outlay in the grand scheme of things, and you're quite correct, we aren't exactly going to lose anything. I doubt we'll even lose much on Cutrone or Silva, and may even make money if things take an upward turn for them.

But when those purchases were made, was the thinking really that we'd make our money back, or was it that these players would develop to be in our squad, our team? Raul has been a success, Silva has his whole career ahead of him. But Nuno obviously hasn't fancied the other four, and even now, who's to say what position Cutrone finds himself in?

I think Fosun have made the money available, and I think Nuno is a fantastic manager, but there is an area somewhere in between - recruitment for the first team - where things haven't gone right, and that's most problematic with strikers.

I understand the club's thinking in that everything has to be right for a purchase to be made, in terms of age and value and everything else, but if you end up in the position that we're in, with your main striker injured and none of the other five on your books ready to step in, you're asking for trouble.
If you look into why Fosun brought us you will see why and you will see why Mendes is a massive part of it (It was his agency that recommended them to buy us over other clubs). There is lots of it on the net with direct emails between Shi and Gestifute way before they purchased. They dont see the day to day success as a club as a return on their investment but more on individual transfers of players and wanting a network of clubs (which explains the links now with Familcao and Grasshoppers along with taking a shareholding with Gestifute). Those players, along with several others have been purchased to produce revenue, nothing more and nothing less. That isnt doom and gloom, its fact. The good thing is as a club, we are the jewel in the crown of their operation.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah but we bent over backwards to get that deal done, including offering the proposition of only £4 mill upfront.

Didn't we want 35mil but full amount and Liverpool offered 45mil but in instalments as it was reported etc

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are beholden to Mendes.
They can see the utter waste of £35m and are understandably reluctant to make another mistake.
Plus there is the perilous state of China/UK trading.
Fosun are in the moneymaking business, they have no allegiance to football I'm afraid.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You say it like its changed, it hasnt. What can he had clarity to?

All he would say is "the onus is on youth with a mix of experience) then point out the young players in the summer brought in and Marcal as the experience.

I find his silence a bit concerning that is all. We clearly arent in a good run and maybe a few words from him would be of a slight help. Not saying it would be the answer but may be slightly reassuring.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been though this thread. We really need to step up our MM game. Who can we practically get?

Some names given below were mentioned as examples or to make points so of course they are not practcical.

As each place in the premier league has a value (2M mntioned) we realistically must have a budget (including wages) of around 10-14 million (any other view is rather porr planning). So in the list below there are a couple of names which could be practical.

The issue will be "I wamt high wages and a two year deal" or "We want 10-20M regardless of how long left on the contract you need him" (and then we have the wages issue).

Boulaye Dia, Kenneth Zahore, Matt Smith, Jón Daði Böðvarsson, Helda Costa, Ivan Cavaleiro, Robert Lewandowski, Divock Origi, Oliver Groud, Salomon Rondon, Josh King, Diego Costa, Hulk, Sébastien Haller, Amad Diallo Traoré.

Anyone?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cutrone, Campana, Mir all for now adding nothing to our first team squad dynamics (Cutrone a vague hope still alive). Samuels and Ennis back after failure in the lower leagues. Dadashov injured I believe. Bonatini (unbelievably given a four year contract) languishing at Grassshoppers. Corbeanu a potential bright spark but still too young and often played as a winger. Silva....no comment. Raul out for the season. Jota sold of course with no direct replacement.

Ten strikers! And yet we are struggling desperately to put on the field even one mildly competent Premier League central striker. Fosun reluctant to be asked for an 11th....I don't blame them. Arguably the most important position in any team and we are at a complete loss. Who is responsible for this shambolic situation?

We have such a good team when everyone is fit,. Add a decent attacking midfielder and striker and I reckon we have top six potential. And yet here we are on a terrible run looking down at only six teams below us many with plenty of games in hand! Extraordinary.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been though this thread. We really need to step up our MM game. Who can we practically get?

Some names given below were mentioned as examples or to make points so of course they are not practcical.

As each place in the premier league has a value (2M mntioned) we realistically must have a budget (including wages) of around 10-14 million (any other view is rather porr planning). So in the list below there are a couple of names which could be practical.

The issue will be "I wamt high wages and a two year deal" or "We want 10-20M regardless of how long left on the contract you need him" (and then we have the wages issue).

Boulaye Dia, Kenneth Zahore, Matt Smith, Jón Daði Böðvarsson, Helda Costa, Ivan Cavaleiro, Robert Lewandowski, Divock Origi, Oliver Groud, Salomon Rondon, Josh King, Diego Costa, Hulk, Sébastien Haller, Amad Diallo Traoré.

Anyone?

Not easy, is it? Maybe it won't be so easy to deride the likes of West Ham and Everton who have spent big trying to get the elusive players who will get you into the top 6. And slightly different, but I've read angst and outrage here when some have suggested we follow the "Southampton model". Southampton have never really spent big and there model does not involve splashing record sums on inexperienced 18 year olds. But hey, we are better than that, aren't we?

The narrative used to be that our owners were so wealthy, we could afford to spend huge sums. But apparently not any more.

How about we look in the (whisper it..) Championship for some young talented players who won't cost gazillions in agents fees and wont have troubles "settling" in the UK? Just a thought.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not easy, is it? Maybe it won't be so easy to deride the likes of West Ham and Everton who have spent big trying to get the elusive players who will get you into the top 6. And slightly different, but I've read angst and outrage here when some have suggested we follow the "Southampton model". Southampton have never really spent big and there model does not involve splashing record sums on inexperienced 18 year olds. But hey, we are better than that, aren't we?

The narrative used to be that our owners were so wealthy, we could afford to spend huge sums. But apparently not any more.

How about we look in the (whisper it..) Championship for some young talented players who won't cost gazillions in agents fees and wont have troubles "settling" in the UK? Just a thought.
On your final point, living up here near Hull I remember saying on here to go for Jerrod Bowen. He looked a real player. WHU got him and he'll be a big, big star in the Prem. I'm sure we all know good Champs players but as a club we are fixated on the foreign market.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cutrone, Campana, Mir all for now adding nothing to our first team squad dynamics (Cutrone a vague hope still alive). Samuels and Ennis back after failure in the lower leagues. Dadashov injured I believe. Bonatini (unbelievably given a four year contract) languishing at Grassshoppers. Corbeanu a potential bright spark but still too young and often played as a winger. Silva....no comment. Raul out for the season. Jota sold of course with no direct replacement.

Ten strikers! And yet we are struggling desperately to put on the field even one mildly competent Premier League central striker. Fosun reluctant to be asked for an 11th....I don't blame them. Arguably the most important position in any team and we are at a complete loss. Who is responsible for this shambolic situation?

We have such a good team when everyone is fit,. Add a decent attacking midfielder and striker and I reckon we have top six potential. And yet here we are on a terrible run looking down at only six teams below us many with plenty of games in hand! Extraordinary.
Said before, Wolves record on developing strikers is abysmal. Perhaps it is because the main emphasis is on being defensive with counter attack.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said before, Wolves record on developing strikers is abysmal. Perhaps it is because the main emphasis is on being defensive with counter attack.
I've said this many times on this forum, we don't sign strikers with good goalscoring records. With that approach, we're not going to get proper strikers (with the exception of Raul, who didn't have a good goalscoring record before signing him anyway).

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On your final point, living up here near Hull I remember saying on here to go for Jerrod Bowen. He looked a real player. WHU got him and he'll be a big, big star in the Prem. I'm sure we all know good Champs players but as a club we are fixated on the foreign market.
I've said for a while that Lucas Joao from Reading would be an excellent shout. 13 goals in 17 games this season so far. There have been numerous examples of players in the Champ going on to be hugely successful. Closest to home would probably be Keane and Lescott.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said for a while that Lucas Joao from Reading would be an excellent shout. 13 goals in 17 games this season so far. There have been numerous examples of players in the Champ going on to be hugely successful. Closest to home would probably be Keane and Lescott.

He's got the right sounding name. If we can just convince our owners that Reading is a less well known team in the Portugese or French league we may have a chance. :)

After all, as somebody said "we need to buy these players *before* they become superstars". Might be too late though as he's 27.

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun spent 35 million on a striker and then told us all he is one for the future.
Fosun now say we cant sign a striker as we have no money as the budget was spent in the summer.

That's like me investing in a lovely expensive house for the future whilst me and the family sitting in a 1 bed flat with 2 kids that isnt fit for purpose right now.

I get Fosun are an investment company but come on lads, are team is going backwards. Are best players wont be here next season if we don't show some ambition. If we finish 16th this season do you think Raul, Neves, Neto, Adama will all be up for sticking around for another season in the hope we turn into a champs league contender next season? Or do you think they will watch Jota lift the premier league and reach champions league final and think i want some of that.

All of this its a transition season is rubbish, you dont finish 7 years on the trot and then get away with finishing 15th the next by calling it a transition season.

Before anyone shouts me down, i know we have injuries etc but every team has its a tough compact season. The fact we have such a small squad is the problem!
As much as my natural instinct is to, I cannot disagree with any of this !

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a really good point. The reality was as a free scoring 23 year old playing in the championship he was still considered a risk as was Ollie Watkins (at time of transfer). Credit to the both them and their clubs for trying them out and persisting with them.

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For many its a "bums on seats" situation and anyone will do. Not for one minute do I think thats the right approach.

If we have to limp out this season as is, so be it. Spending £20 million on a player who will be warming the bench after 20 games isnt the way to go, at all.
The difference between us and the top six is that they have several alternative strikers warming the bench ready to get on , we have none, apart from a kid and a reject.

D

Deleted member 8913

Fosun are beholden to Mendes.
They can see the utter waste of £35m and are understandably reluctant to make another mistake.
Plus there is the perilous state of China/UK trading.
Fosun are in the moneymaking business, they have no allegiance to football I'm afraid.

- I am not sure beholden is the right word but they certainly rely on his knowledge which may not always be a good thing.
-not yet certain that buying an 18 year old was a mistake...judgment should be reserved for some years,...no doubt he was not expected to play as a starterthis year.
-there certainly is and it may or may not be a big factor...but 9ts a huge risk.
- they are a business and so it’s not a billionaires vanity project to throw money at.

so I think you are pretty much right.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got the right sounding name. If we can just convince our owners that Reading is a less well known team in the Portugese or French league we may have a chance. :)

After all, as somebody said "we need to buy these players *before* they become superstars". Might be too late though as he's 27.
Yes, the famous Readingao from the Portuguese top flight! We also previously signed their superstar striker Kevin Doylinho a few years back.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather stick with cutrone and Fabio than spend it on Origi.
There has been some crazy posts on MM this week and this is another one added. @WolfInSheep'sClothing anybody would think you are spending your money. Divock Origi is a proven PL goal scorer for the Champions of the PL. a European & World Champion too.. Plus a Belgian International who are ranked No 1 team in the world. So you'd rather stick to 2 unproven novices than a PL pedigree player to buy in when it is so needed for us. Now we've lost Raul and only won 1 game in 9 now is it since?

CLUELESS COMMENTS!!

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There has been some crazy posts on MM this week and this is another one added. @WolfInSheep'sClothing anybody would think you are spending your money. Divock Origi is a proven PL goal scorer for the Champions of the PL. a European & World Champion too.. Plus a Belgian International who are ranked No 1 team in the world. So you'd rather stick to 2 unproven novices than a PL pedigree player to buy in when it is so needed for us. Now we've lost Raul and only won 1 game in 9 now is it since?

CLUELESS COMMENTS!!
PS. To add to that I didn't realise Divock Origi is still only 25 years old. I thought he was nearer 30.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

CLUELESS COMMENTS!!

I think it will be money thrown down the drain and he won't solve our goalscoring problem.
Proven how? How many has he scored?
19 goals in 94 games?
You think cutrone or Fabio couldn't do that at Liverpool?
Clueless? Sure!

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it will be money thrown down the drain and he won't solve our goalscoring problem.
Proven how? How many has he scored?
19 goals in 94 games?
You think cutrone or Fabio couldn't do that at Liverpool?
Clueless? Sure!
Is that the best reply you could come up with @WolfInSheep'sClothing
Like saying about Bully only scoring 4 goals for England in 13 games yet like Origi for LIverpool how many times out of those 94 games has he come off the bench for last 10, 15 or 20 mins. I think I recall him scoring 1 or 2 against us coming off the bench?
I think I'm right in saying Bully got less than half of his 13 caps for England from off the bench. Proving you can't always go by some stats.

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At his latest press conference, Nuno said: “This is a transfer window that is always hard but it’s become harder with the new situations. The situation of Brexit and not allowing European players, all these things."
Maybe this why no-one is coming in. We know how hard it is to get players from Britain in January.

Back
Top Bottom