Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football writers player of the season

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard this morning that Jordan Henderson has been named the football writers player of the season.

Im not trying to slate him, but has his season been that good? I know he captained Liverpool to the title and has been consistent all year, but surely others have been better all year.

For me, hes not even been the best player in the Liverpool team, theres loads I'd put before him in the league.

Du Bruyne, Sterling, Mane etc and how the hell did they forget about Fernandes at utd? ;).

For me, It's just lip service and devalues the awards. If it was most improved player, he'd stand a chance, behind Traore, but it's supposed to be the best player of the season award, I just don't think they understand.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard this morning that Jordan Henderson has been named the football writers player of the season.

Im not trying to slate him, but has his season been that good? I know he captained Liverpool to the title and has been consistent all year, but surely others have been better all year.

For me, hes not even been the best player in the Liverpool team, theres loads I'd put before him in the league.

Du Bruyne, Sterling, Mane etc and how the hell did they forget about Fernandes at utd? ;).

For me, It's just lip service and devalues the awards. If it was most improved player, he'd stand a chance, behind Traore, but it's supposed to be the best player of the season award, I just don't think they understand.
Must disagree with you Pagey. He's the heartbeat at Liverpool, he does an unsung job and is a fantastic captain. If you speak to any real liverpool fans they absolutely love him. A lot of people cant let go of the player he was when he first went to Liverpool, but hes massively improved the last few years. Personally id go Van Dijk but the writers award is a voted one so theyve obviously decided together

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
To be fair, I thought he was comfortably Liverpool’s best player against us at Molineux.

Obviously not as naturally talented as the likes of De Bruyne but hugely effective and a massive part of Liverpool’s success over the last couple of years.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His meaningful stats are poor compared to numerous others but his running around goes unrecorded in stats tables.

He's a better version of Dave Edwards that won the league. Had they given it to any player from any other club, there would have been uproar.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
. He's the heartbeat at Liverpool, he does an unsung job and is a fantastic captain
I agree with all that, but does that mean he's the player of the season? Coady is similar to me, he does a similar job for us, although in a different position. But he's not our best player this year, and I doubt he will win our award.

D

Deleted member 5635

Football writers player also includes what he does outside of the pitch.
There's no doubt De Bruyne is a better player but Henderson brings that Liverpool team together.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm no fan of him and didn't see him as being good enough when he joined Liverpool, I also found it laughable that he got into the England team.
But he has continued to prove doubters wrong and is the heartbeat of Premier league winners.

He's not the easiest player on the eye or come across as particularly inspiring on TV interviews.
He doesn't crave attention, works hard and is a very good role model for younger players.

A worthy winner

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been much better when I've watched him this season. He was very impressive against us at Molineux & you could pick out 6 or 7 players from that Liverpool team to win it.

Me personally, it should have gone to KDB. He's the best player in the league by some distance.

I wouldn't pay much mind to the writers award, christ it's the one Parker won a few years ago when he got relegated I think.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henderson shows how far a player with average skills but a massive heart can go. He has made himself an essential part of the Liverpool team by squeezing every drop of effort out of himself week in, week out. . |He makes both Liverpool's forwards and defenders look better and like Coady he has proved to be an inspirational leader. I think he is worthy of the award, though I'd have given it VVD.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must disagree with you Pagey. He's the heartbeat at Liverpool, he does an unsung job and is a fantastic captain. If you speak to any real liverpool fans they absolutely love him. A lot of people cant let go of the player he was when he first went to Liverpool, but hes massively improved the last few years. Personally id go Van Dijk but the writers award is a voted one so theyve obviously decided together
That's good for England then .

Last edited:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Apparently Liverpool have dropped more points in the 7 Premier League games he has missed than the 30 he has played.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
You know Journalists, buy 'em a couple of pints . . . probably . . . allegedly . . . possibly . . . maybe . . . ;-)

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Liverpool have dropped more points in the 7 Premier League games he has missed than the 30 he has played.
Tbf they had already won the title. The motivation wasn't there. So he missed about 20% of the Premier league matches too?

Last edited:

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him, like him in the England team.
Not sure he is player of the season though.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That good for England then .
They'll coach it out of him and play him in a much weakened set up. Never rated a whole stream of Liverpool players for England, despite being magnificent for Liverpool.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
he did that NHS fund-raising thing with the other captains ay it so they might have that in mind as well

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Every time I have seen him play this season he has been superb. Can’t argue to be honest

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is consistent and liverpool build the side around him. DeBryune is more talented but I think considering how Pep likes to chop and change that plays a role

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Not sure Jordan has even been the best Henderson in the League...

Seriously though, I get why they've chosen him. Personally, I can't look past De Bruyne. I think as long as he keeps performing and stays at Man City for a few more years, he'll be seen as one of the Premier League's all-time greats. He's that good.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore received vote(s) as did Grealish, Ings and bizarrely Jonny Evans.

Henderson was more logical than Rashford in top 5 for me.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore received vote(s) as did Grealish, Ings and bizarrely Jonny Evans.

Henderson was more logical than Rashford in top 5 for me.
“As well as the top five of Henderson, De Bruyne, Rashford, Van Dijk and Mane, ten other players received votes from FWA members including Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Aguero, Adama Traore, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Madison and Jonny Evans.”

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
“As well as the top five of Henderson, De Bruyne, Rashford, Van Dijk and Mane, ten other players received votes from FWA members including Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Aguero, Adama Traore, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Madison and Jonny Evans.”
Some of those are baffling, I can only assume it's the local writers from those clubs? Wan-Bissaka, really? Evans hasn't even been Leicester's best centre half, never mind the League's.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Majority this forum said at start of the season they wouldn’t have him in our team!
Glad our fans are exactly that fans and not in control of our playing staff

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imo the award had to go to a Liverpool player as they won the Premier by a mile.

With Henderson being the captain made it an easy decision. No doubt he would say the award deserves to go to all his teammates for their efforts during the season.

I agree with many others who says the award should have gone to De Bruyne. I am amazed gods gift to the Premier League Bruno Fernandes never made the top 5!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member LP 3925

Think back to the last World Cup and groaning every time he hoofed it agriculturally - my youngest son had just watched Big Foot and The Hendersons at the time and thought he played that badly because he had a big foot. I couldn’t disagree?

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not bad for a chap that can't run properly

D

Deleted member 9788

He's not even been the best player at Liverpool... It's like giving an award to the milk monitor at school. ****ing joke

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The footballing equivalent of Magnolia paint.
it does the job you expect but no ones ever going to be excited or impressed by it.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he did that NHS fund-raising thing with the other captains ay it so they might have that in mind as well

Wolves announced they were donating money before the Henderson story came out. There’s been a desperation in the media to laud him as some sort of saviour. It’s a bit like Raheem Sterling hes now anti racism the poster bok for the same media and tabloids that were castigating him for his tattoos / off pitch antics / poor England performances prior to the Chelsea abuse incident.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just think if we had Henderson, we could have a midfield of...Neves and Moutinho.

Maybe so, but Neves - Henderson would be an excellent pairing. Like against Everton but with 6 years more top level nous.

Agree with others, he was noticeably low-key outstanding against us at home.
We played very, very well, but could hardly ever break on them, beat their press or get that many interceptions against their non-threatening possession. He was the architect of all of that.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always think it is daft these things are voted on before the seasons end.
KDB could yet get the record for most ever assists and then go on to score a hat trick and win the champions league.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe so, but Neves - Henderson would be an excellent pairing. Like against Everton but with 6 years more top level nous.

Agree with others, he was noticeably low-key outstanding against us at home.
We played very, very well, but could hardly ever break on them, beat their press or get that many interceptions against their non-threatening possession. He was the architect of all of that.
He also had the intelligence when on the edge of the box to see Moutinho at 5" smaller was marking him, and thought "**** standing here, I'm going to get in the box and get my head on it"
Ultimately they only won by a goal.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Achieved what Stevie failed to do so many times.

He’s never particularly stood out as a great player in my eyes, but in some way he’s a bit like our Connor. Heartbeat of a well oiled team that has a few stars, but looks a lot weaker without them in it.

Back
Top Bottom