Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Finishing refereeing

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Sometimes you know enough is enough .After 49 years and 2240 games I decided to step away from Refereeing last summer .I have to admit my enthusiasm waned somewhat after my wife’s illness. Yes I miss the good times which includes the people of which there were many and admittedly many who were ********s .
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),MidlandsFootball Alliance ,West Midlands League ,Central League ,Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
I received fantastic retirement letters from both the FA and Staffordshire FA..I haven’t posted this to receive plaudits but merely to reminisce as I cast my mind back to my first ever game in 1972 as a 17 year old callow youth at Dunstall Park
I think I have done my bit

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes you know enough is enough .After 49 years and 2240 games I decided to step away from Refereeing last summer .I have to admit my enthusiasm waned somewhat after my wife’s illness. Yes I miss the good times which includes the people of which there were many and admittedly many who were ********s .
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),Midland Football Alliance .Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,FA Trophy,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
I received fantastic retirement letters from both the FA and Staffordshire FA..I haven’t posted this to receive plaudits but merely to reminisce as I cast my mind back to my first ever game in 1972 as a 17 year old callow youth at Dunstall Park
You most be fit but bloody tired. Have a good retirement.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
You most be fit but bloody tired. Have a good retirement.
Not as fit as I was but when your enthusiasm wanes it affects your fitness.Taking the rough with the smooth ,including being assaulted and knocked out I have enjoyed it immensely
Thanks for your kind words

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done on your career.

is there a modern ref (someone we will have seen) you would compare yourself with or others have commented you are like so and so ?

Reaction score
What advice would you give to young refs Jonzy who are just setting off on their ref journey? Even young refs have to put up with a barrage of inappropriate abuse at grassroots.

wulfie88

Reaction score
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),Midland Football Alliance .Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,FA Trophy,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
Well done , John. A great record. You've certainly earned retirement. I remember playing as a teenager on Dunstall Park with Andrew. I seem to recall heavy pitches and strong winds !

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow that is some list of achievements. As a dad with two boys playing youth football i know how difficult it is to attract young people to take up the whistle but certainly people like you stand as an inspiration to those that may be considering it.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Good job. Enjoy the retirement! No more listening to chants of " you don't know what you're doing".. :p

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
What a wonderful and long stint as a referee. Happy retirement Jonzy.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Youve certainly done your bit Jonzy,enjoy your retirement mate
Ive reffed at a lower level to your good self but i can tell anyone its a thankless and difficult job,all refs have my sympathy, even if some really get my back up at times lol

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Well done on your career.

is there a modern ref (someone we will have seen) you would compare yourself with or others have commented you are like so and so ?
When I started because I was so young and refereeing adults much older than me I could be quite officious .As I matured I opened up more and whilst never liking disrespect I have always tried to show respect in return .Hard to say about the current crop but I always rated and respected Collina and modelled myself on Roger Milford and even had a perm back in the day when they were fashionable

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Well done , John. A great record. You've certainly earned retirement. I remember playing as a teenager on Dunstall Park with Andrew. I seem to recall heavy pitches and strong winds !
Sadly all gone now

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Well done mate! Never reffed but hard job, especially lower levels where a small % of mouth-breathers who don't know the laws are waiting for a chance to get physical.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I started because I was so young and refereeing adults much older than me I could be quite officious .As I matured I opened up more and whilst never liking disrespect I have always tried to show respect in return .Hard to say about the current crop but I always rated and respected Collina and modelled myself on Roger Milford and even had a perm back in the day when they were fashionable
thanks

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well earned retirement. You must have been very dedicated. Well done.
Time to chill.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Enjoy your retirement.
Any idea who ref for Sunday is yet?
Will we get Mike Dean in his last premier league game?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),MidlandsFootball Alliance ,West Midlands League ,Central League ,Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,FA Trophy,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
Wow…..that’s a great long and commendable list of your reffing. Hats off to you and now sit back and enjoy the game on a different level.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),MidlandsFootball Alliance ,West Midlands League ,Central League ,Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
Have they offered you a job at Stockley Park on VAR ?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You will almost certainly have reffed me in the Wolvo Sunday League, Municipal League etc.., so I need to apologise, now ;). Well done on your long career.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Well played on your career Jonzy! Enjoy your retirement!

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very impressive “career “
Thats probably one of the longest refereeing stints!
Enjoy your retirement.
Keep your whistle wet………….you never know;)

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Retiring is never easy, especially if it's something you really love doing. I hope you have a long, happy and healthy retirement mate.

Still, you can get those new glasses now, and trace your real father.

Only kidding.

Back
Top Bottom