Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Finally a player speaks

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but if I over-interpret it like this, then it proves that my tenuous theories were correct all along!

I reckon my theories and others theories about Lage were right last season, Flump.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if some players are ok at Podence‘s candour. I doubt they all agree with him.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of those blunders were down to Bruno? Not many I think - Transfer policy was out of his hands
Hence me saying.......
I don't think Sellars and Shi are up to the level required to progress and improve our club.
For me Nuno had the ability to assess improve and maintain a player. No one improved under Lage. He simply wasn't up to managing in this league. He won't be missed by players or supporters.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t see much to disagree with. We’ve all pretty much acknowledged that Lage had to go but Podence is dead right, the players are the ones on the pitch and they have to do better.
I wouldn’t be surprised if most if not all of them agree with what he has said there.
Well some players might not agree with him…..simple as that.
They might think he’s wrong to state that the squad became comfortable or weren’t doing well in training.
Podence is probably my favourite player but his opinion may not be gospel.

We only have one player‘s point of view.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well some players might not agree with him…..simple as that.
They might think he’s wrong to state that the squad became comfortable or weren’t doing well in training.
Podence is probably my favourite player but his opinion may not be gospel.

He's not really said anything anyone can disagree with, when you account for a bit of footballer cliche use.

"It's very sad because it means us as players didn't make a good job as well," Podence said. "We are playing in a good way but we are not winning points or games. It's not just about the boss, it's us as well. It makes us feel bad.
Completely fair - he's defending Lage if anything here.

"At the same point, we needed something new or a different way to do things because players were not doing so good in training sessions or at matches. Something had to change and the club realised the boss had to go.
We needed something new - yeah, look at the form. The "realised" bit could be read as him (Podence) having noticed before "the club", but in most languages "realise" doesn't really have the same connotations it does here, and is more similar to "decided".

"We have to accept it and we have to deal with it now with a different [boss]. As players, we have to demand much more from each other.
We have to accept it - basic platitude - we have to try hard, we have to focus on the next game, next game etc.

"It's a mix of everything: the system and the management. Even the players were getting comfortable and we needed something different and now we have it.
"Getting comfortable" could be read as a criticism, but it's pretty mild, and tied into "needing something different", which is a bit of a cliche when you want to point out that results were crap, but you don't want to blame anyone. "Now we have it" doesn't really make much sense without us having a new manager in place, so it shows he's just rolling through the stock phrases.

"We have been watching a lot of teams sacking their manager and still doing a bad job so I think us as players, we have to think and realise that we have to do so much more."
We have to really try - not controversial, and you hear this every time a manager is sacked.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't say they weren't trying, he said they were "not so good in training sessions" - as he's an ESL speaker, there's likely quite a difference, so there's no need to overreact.
Neves said similar the other day. What does 'not so good in training sessions' mean? I can just imagine going to my boss and saying ' I'm not so good in the morning' or 'I'm not so good on Wednesdays'. These players should be giving 100% in training and in matches. I said during the WHU game and before these players (bar Neves) were not giving their all for Lage. He's now paid the price now they all have to up their game.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty much what Ruben was alluding too.
He's looked angrier this season. I thought maybe he was doing it deliberately as he stepped up to Captain, but perhaps he is just really angry inside. To end up having to play centre half after what he's done? He's done everything by the book and is now being held back.

We have a few weeks to sort out a new manager and start getting results or he'll have a deal sewn up by the time the World Cup is over and be gone in January.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t see much to disagree with. We’ve all pretty much acknowledged that Lage had to go but Podence is dead right, the players are the ones on the pitch and they have to do better.

Exactly. It would take a brave person to try and defend 3 goals in 8 matches.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves said similar the other day. What does 'not so good in training sessions' mean? I can just imagine going to my boss and saying ' I'm not so good in the morning' or 'I'm not so good on Wednesdays'. These players should be giving 100% in training and in matches. I said during the WHU game and before these players (bar Neves) were not giving their all for Lage. He's now paid the price now they all have to up their game.

You still don't seem to be able to separate poor performance from lack of effort.

If you said to your boss that you're not so good in the mornings, then they could scream at you. Or they could allow you to work your hours later in the day, when you're more effective, allowing you to perform better, and everyone would be happy.

It would be a bit of a coincidence if our best player is the only one who's trying - do you really think Kilman, Moutinho, Collins etc aren't "giving their all"??

lycophilos

Reaction score
How many of those blunders were down to Bruno? Not many I think - Transfer policy was out of his hands
This seems another of those assertions which become "facts" merely because they are repeated over and over..

I suspect that "transfer policy" very much included Bruno, and that he had probably the final say in transfer matters.

Fosun - in the form of Jeff - admitted that they knew very little about football when they bought the club. Hence the mistake in appointing Zenga. Lambert was an improvement, and I understand that many on this forum - which I wasn't then following - wanted him to stay.

But then, at the third attempt, and with the assistance of Mendes, came Nuno. It seems clear to me, from his method of working, that Nuno had a very great deal to do with transfers in and out. The massive success that Nuno had in his first three seasons must have made Jeff and the board be very much in favour of a policy of giving the manager/head coach a major part in transfers. After Nuno left, they would surely have continued to do so with Nuno's successor.

While what goes on at the highest level of management in most football clubs is always a bit veiled, there is at least one small piece of evidence that what I have surmised may be closer to the truth than the idea that the Wolves manager/head coach has no say in transfer policy. It was widely believed that when the club seemed to be interested in Hwang, Nuno said "no" - and so Hwang didn't come. Bruno did want him, and so he came.

I am not pointing this out to get at Hwang, who has, in my opinion, been very unfairly scapegoated by many on this forum. Nor am I saying that Nuno was perfect and always got things right, and that Bruno always got things wrong. I am merely pointing out that there is no evidence that the transfer policy is entirely out of the hands of the Wolves head coach, and rather more evidence that he does have a large say. Until I see clear evidence to the contrary, I will continue to believe that many of the clubs "blunders" are as much down to Bruno as they are to anyone else.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You still don't seem to be able to separate poor performance from lack of effort.

If you said to your boss that you're not so good in the mornings, then they could scream at you. Or they could allow you to work your hours later in the day, when you're more effective, allowing you to perform better, and everyone would be happy.

It would be a bit of a coincidence if our best player is the only one who's trying - do you really think Kilman, Moutinho, Collins etc aren't "giving their all"??
Flump, you're just playing with words. Poor performance, lack of effort all point to players (and I don't know which ones) not working hard enough for each other and the team and from what we gather this applies at training and during games. Disgraceful.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He said they also have to take responsibility but mentioned players got comfortable.

Just interested to know who? Most of them come across as very professional.
Professional yes, but even good pros periodically need to be challenged. The balance has to be right on the training field and the coach has to take full responsibility for that

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This seems another of those assertions which become "facts" merely because they are repeated over and over..

I suspect that "transfer policy" very much included Bruno, and that he had probably the final say in transfer matters.

Fosun - in the form of Jeff - admitted that they knew very little about football when they bought the club. Hence the mistake in appointing Zenga. Lambert was an improvement, and I understand that many on this forum - which I wasn't then following - wanted him to stay.

But then, at the third attempt, and with the assistance of Mendes, came Nuno. It seems clear to me, from his method of working, that Nuno had a very great deal to do with transfers in and out. The massive success that Nuno had in his first three seasons must have made Jeff and the board be very much in favour of a policy of giving the manager/head coach a major part in transfers. After Nuno left, they would surely have continued to do so with Nuno's successor.

While what goes on at the highest level of management in most football clubs is always a bit veiled, there is at least one small piece of evidence that what I have surmised may be closer to the truth than the idea that the Wolves manager/head coach has no say in transfer policy. It was widely believed that when the club seemed to be interested in Hwang, Nuno said "no" - and so Hwang didn't come. Bruno did want him, and so he came.

I am not pointing this out to get at Hwang, who has, in my opinion, been very unfairly scapegoated by many on this forum. Nor am I saying that Nuno was perfect and always got things right, and that Bruno always got things wrong. I am merely pointing out that there is no evidence that the transfer policy is entirely out of the hands of the Wolves head coach, and rather more evidence that he does have a large say. Until I see clear evidence to the contrary, I will continue to believe that many of the clubs "blunders" are as much down to Bruno as they are to anyone else.
Hardly anybody on here wanted Lambert to stay. He was public enemy number 1 for leaving Saiss out in favour of Edwards, Saville and Price

lycophilos

Reaction score
Hardly anybody on here wanted Lambert to stay. He was public enemy number 1 for leaving Saiss out in favour of Edwards, Saville and Price
As I wasn't following this forum then, I am merely picking up on some statements I read on another thread. As you will know much more about those matters than I do, I am sure you are correct.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flump, you're just playing with words. Poor performance, lack of effort all point to players (and I don't know which ones) not working hard enough for each other and the team and from what we gather this applies at training and during games. Disgraceful.
Is it though , if they don’t like his methods and let’s face it none of us did , and then in turn results start to turn sour , you are going to start to lose faith just like us as supporters did , if your manager isn’t giving you the best chance to succeed then heads will drop and in turn so will performance levels in games and in training …

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a case of not giving 100% in training. The coach lays out the training sessions and I’m interpreting the comments made that these sessions were not challenging and stimulating the players enough to successfully impact their performance in matches.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the Liam Keen article on Bruno, he was an incredible hard worker, often stayed into the evening, when previous unnamed managers left by 3. Ruddy in his interview said that Bruno was a very good coach, but hinted that he was not a great man manager.

Now suddenly it's being suggested that training was a complete doss and players had stopped bothering.

Doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited:

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the Liam Keen article on Bruno, he was an incredible hard worker, often stayed into the evening, when previous unnamed managers left by 3. Ruddy in his interview said that Bruno was a very good coach, but hinted that he was not a great man manager.

Now suddenly it's being suggested that training was a complete doss and players had stopped bothering.

You can still be a hard working coach putting in many hours BUT if you don't have the knowledge or skillset to put across appropriate training sessions to get the players to engage with you and on the pitch , it's a pointless exercise.
I have no doubt Bruno was a hard worker who tried his best but as we keep saying his best was way short of the required standard for this level.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it could be that on a one to one, individual basis his coaching is excellent. He might not be able to coach a group of players to the same level.

blakenhall wolf

Reaction score
Bruno stayed back and worked late, Nuno was in the pub with the players.

Not saying Nuno didn't work hard, just that a balance would be needed by next manager.

Needs a good bond with the group and to be committed to learn and improve.

I will never underestimate how much respect Nuno had from most of his team. He was such a cool character.

Remember he and his assistant having a fag out the back of Middlesbrough away straight after the game. Had a chat with me and posed for some pics happily.

Bruno seemed the polar opposite lacking people skills and a bit of character

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No, you're still not actually getting my point - poor performance is not necessarily always caused by a lack of effort - it could be, for example, by players trying hard but using poor or unsuited tactics.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves is a Portuguese social club that just happens to be in the PL. Of course they're comfortable. We're even picking managers of their nationality, and conducting training in their language. It's one huge Portuguese clique.
We have overdone it IMO.
Diversity in a football team is always a good thing.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, you're still not actually getting my point - poor performance is not necessarily always caused by a lack of effort - it could be, for example, by players trying hard but using poor or unsuited tactics.
The effort hasn't been lacking. We're trying to play out from the back how he wants. We've sorted our shape, we're dominating possession usually. We just don't look like scoring. That is down to tactics for me.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think it is a matter of trying to put square pegs in round holes and continually playing players that is not bringing enough to the table that has been our biggest problem thus far this season.
Neves in central defence is just wrong for so many reasons for example.
Watching our big signings in Guedes and Nunes producing so very little they have is another thing.Nunes isn´t playing in his right position and Guedes needs being dropped to the bench.
Yes,we have had some real bad luck on the injury front..but that is no excuse to go away from the foundations of building a decent team anyways.
It has been pointed out so many times on this board alone.
I continues to be surprised at managers/head coaches that thinks they have a better alternative.
They never have IMO.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Professional yes, but even good pros periodically need to be challenged. The balance has to be right on the training field and the coach has to take full responsibility for that
If I am not happy I do not perform well however I try
The boys were not happy with Lage so however they try they fall short training must have been even harder
Have any of you been in a position where at work you just don’t want to be there
Hope there is a massage mood change now

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto in goal says it all, too much joking about

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno stayed back and worked late, Nuno was in the pub with the players.

Not saying Nuno didn't work hard, just that a balance would be needed by next manager.

Needs a good bond with the group and to be committed to learn and improve.

I will never underestimate how much respect Nuno had from most of his team. He was such a cool character.

Remember he and his assistant having a fag out the back of Middlesbrough away straight after the game. Had a chat with me and posed for some pics happily.

Bruno seemed the polar opposite lacking people skills and a bit of character
Was Nuno really in the pub with the players? Doesn’t seem a very Portuguese thing to do to me; 1970/80s British players perhaps, but not Portuguese who come across invariably as being more professional than their U.K. counterparts.
Nuno also had a big back room team including analysts so presumably he delegated some of the work, but in the early days, in particular, was known (istr) to drill and drill and drill again the team in the various shapes he wanted at various passages of play. No doubt he was more charismatic.
Maybe Bruno took on more himself? But seemingly the training ground drills were replaced by long team meetings/ presentation sessions. He also attended more U23 matches etc. but seems to have been distant and a poor man-manager.
Hopefully there is a happy medium between the two and that is Lopetegui?
I still think that losing people like Coady and Ruddy from the dressing room was a mistake, and not using Toti, Cundle and Ronan much at all, and shoehorning people in to unfamiliar positions when the squad was clearly thin on the ground, we’re mistakes.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd like to think that if any coach (on the short list) is watching the game at Chelsea on Saturday, then hopefully there will be a considerable uplift in effort and intensity from these players.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The effort hasn't been lacking. We're trying to play out from the back how he wants. We've sorted our shape, we're dominating possession usually. We just don't look like scoring. That is down to tactics for me.
And the lack of recruitment of suitable strikers, and hence playing people like Hwang, Podence and Guedes in unsuitable positions.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have overdone it IMO.
Diversity in a football team is always a good thing.
The greatest ever Wolves team in the 50s had very limited diversity. In general though l agree with you that diversity is a good thing.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves is a Portuguese social club that just happens to be in the PL. Of course they're comfortable. We're even picking managers of their nationality, and conducting training in their language. It's one huge Portuguese clique.
Wolves happen to be in the premier league due to the Portuguese social club.
Brentford have got a Danish one going. Maybe the baggies could try one? Latvia about their level?

Back
Top Bottom