Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fighting Talk from Lambert

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From last night's E&S

"We'll be a lot better next year, that's for sure," Lambert added.
"I'm telling you right now we'll be better. This club needs a few to come in, there's no two ways about it.
You can never promise anything, but one thing's for sure you'll come out the traps next season.
"This club, with the size of support it's got, has to be on the front foot.
"If someone's going to beat us, you make sure you're on your backside. I think we're too inconsistent and I think we have to have a mindset of next season starts from scratch. We have to go toe to toe."
Almost 3,000 fans sang their hearts out at Pride Park and Lambert paid tribute to them.
He added: "They were unbelievable, absolutely fantastic. They'll be the same next Sunday.
"But ultimately we've got to give them something as well. Listen, I've seen it at Stoke, Liverpool, against Villa, Chelsea, it's a brilliant support.
"But you cannot keep accepting what's been happening over the past few years. There's got to be some sort of barrier where it stops and you say right, we're going to go for this.
"If everyone buys into it we'll push. I'll not accept anything less."

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...leiros-moment-of-madness/#mytFzRSSJUmmujM1.99

He's setting himself up for a fall if they don't 'come out of the traps' next season. So he kind of recognises the issues and how bad we've been but has not been able to do anything about it. But all is well: PL will accept nothing less next season so lets see what happens. Hmmmm....

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will see. Nice words but they don't really mean any more than the comments yesterday, though a little harder to twist into an attack on the fans!
I'm hoping that some of his recent comments, supportive of our players are just to keep morale up and there will be serious changes. The first indication will be the players we release or list.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what he says at all. The thing is, as was mentioned in an earlier post, if he doesnt get these changes made, if the status quo stays relatively the same and we don't come out next season all guns blazing, he will have a lot more fans offside, and i think he will struggle to last 10 games tbh. He is talking the talk, now he has to back it up ( if he keeps his job ) and walk the walk. I'm pretty sure though there will be more excuses made for him if he fails.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Encouraging words, which suggest that some pretty big changes are on the way. Tbh Costa and maybe Marshall aside the whole lot of them are replaceable (kids and players returning from injury excluded). We certainly need more than a 'few'.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's always tomorrow, for a squad that rarely attacks and can't defend, just please just give us a crumb of real evidence that you can influence change, Mr Lambert.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deluded buffer in fear of losing his job and essentially his career.
The wonderful thing for you Poole with your attitude is you cant help but win.
If he is this deluded buffer then you were right and you win.
If he is not and turns out to be the best manager we have had for ages then it means the club you support is doing well and you win.
I will drink to the second one.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deluded buffer in fear of losing his job and essentially his career.

Just going to post the same myself. Sounds like his telling Fosun what they want to hear so he gets to keep his job.

D

Deleted member 4722

kissing up to the owners like saying back him or he will walk heard it all before up to you now FOSUN

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
kissing up to the owners like saying back him or he will walk heard it all before up to you now FOSUN
So you'd prefer him to say something like we will be fine with 1 or 2 additions next season?
I'm sure that an experienced football man can see all the problems we do. It's putting it right that's the hard part. That starts with our released or available list.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, if what he talks about comes to pass then it will be like "night and day" compared to this season.

D

Deleted member 4008

Nice to see but why does he pick two cm at full back if we could of played youth players there? Also why Edwards and Evans playing when youth could be tried out as they are not good enough for promotion so why play them . And Dicko is not good enough so why not play one of Ennis or Wilson?

If he believes those comments surely this would have happened???

So is it the usual bs we are fed season in season out and we end up with 3/4 new players and only 3 changes to a very poor 11 at the moment.

M

MattyWWFC

Don't think people are giving Edwards the respect he deserves. I agree he isn't a good technical player and always seems to go missing, but he's helped us out in terms of goals this season as much as Costa has.

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did a good job at Colchester.
Did a brilliant job at Norwich.
Did a good job at Villa in difficult circumstances.
Did a good job at Blackburn in difficult circumstances and walked when owners failed to match ambition.
Will do a fantastic job at Wolves IF we all pull together.
The future is bright - the future IS Paul Lambert.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think people are giving Edwards the respect he deserves. I agree he isn't a good technical player and always seems to go missing, but he's helped us out in terms of goals this season as much as Costa has.

He is nowhere near good enough for a side wanting promotion he gets by because he's a nice bloke and pops up with odd goal.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since day 1 he has consistently said "we're a million miles away from where we need to be but *insert positive spin here*" - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's always maintained there's a lot of work to be done but has never slagged off our current players and why would he? He needed them to get us results this season.

He's also stated on several occasions how big this summer will be for the club. He's under no illusions.

Get behind him and put a bit of faith in him to turn the team around, I for one think he will do it and we'll have a successful season next season.

4 or 5 first team players will completely transform the side. We don't have a team of no hopers, we have some very good players, some mediocre players and some poor players. We'll sort that out over the next few months.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's hardly going to say that he's going to build a team around Saville and hope to avoid relegation though is he.

D

Deleted member 3573J

He's said about 10 sentences there but not actually said anything, the equivalent of the captain screaming 'come on!! Work harder!!' over and over. Classic Lambert, riddles and non specifics.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People keep alluding to how good his teams were at Norwich , but the 3 seasons of perennial struggle at Villa I think have seriously damaged his mindset and after the initial honeymoon when he came here he finds himself back in the 'defensive mode' of trying not to lose games rather than win them and with a style of play that is easy on the eye.

He looked a broken man at Villa , and I am sure he felt time off could get his mojo back , but sadly we are now seeing the 'Villa Lambert' under pressure and his team selections and tactics reflect this.......Stress does funny things to you and inevitably and you start doing things more in hope than with any conviction

To be fair until the likes Price , Edwards , Saville , Coady, Evans & co are ditched as they may be decent league one players, he will be back in the same position by September

M

MattyWWFC

He is nowhere near good enough for a side wanting promotion he gets by because he's a nice bloke and pops up with odd goal.

As I said above, I agree that he isn't good enough. But he's still contributed to our season so deserves at least an ounce of respect. Went on twitter yesterday to see people @ing him and calling him s***. He doesn't deserve that at all, considering he's played here for 10 years and has always given his all.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said above, I agree that he isn't good enough. But he's still contributed to our season so deserves at least an ounce of respect. Went on twitter yesterday to see people @ing him and calling him s***. He doesn't deserve that at all, considering he's played here for 10 years and has always given his all.

Questionable choice of word Matty.

Reactions: Ian

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From last night's E&S

"We'll be a lot better next year, that's for sure," Lambert added.
"I'm telling you right now we'll be better. This club needs a few to come in, there's no two ways about it.
You can never promise anything, but one thing's for sure you'll come out the traps next season.
"This club, with the size of support it's got, has to be on the front foot.
"If someone's going to beat us, you make sure you're on your backside. I think we're too inconsistent and I think we have to have a mindset of next season starts from scratch. We have to go toe to toe."
Almost 3,000 fans sang their hearts out at Pride Park and Lambert paid tribute to them.
He added: "They were unbelievable, absolutely fantastic. They'll be the same next Sunday.
"But ultimately we've got to give them something as well. Listen, I've seen it at Stoke, Liverpool, against Villa, Chelsea, it's a brilliant support.
"But you cannot keep accepting what's been happening over the past few years. There's got to be some sort of barrier where it stops and you say right, we're going to go for this.
"If everyone buys into it we'll push. I'll not accept anything less."

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...leiros-moment-of-madness/#mytFzRSSJUmmujM1.99

He's setting himself up for a fall if they don't 'come out of the traps' next season. So he kind of recognises the issues and how bad we've been but has not been able to do anything about it. But all is well: PL will accept nothing less next season so lets see what happens. Hmmmm....

Hear hear , out with the old in with the new , at least 5 plus Graham , Ronan , Ennis , Zyro etc

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He says the right things there but he has to back it up with a huge improvement, make no mistake about it if we are slow out of the traps next season he's probably going to be under a lot of pressure.
Hopefully we get a squad overhaul though not just a few incomings. My other worry is with Lambert he looks like Moyes does, failures over past few years on a downer and the demeanor just looks a bit beaten

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
4 or 5 first team players will completely transform the side. We don't have a team of no hopers, we have some very good players, some mediocre players and some poor players. We'll sort that out over the next few months.

And the mediocre players will likely become better players with good players around them.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
My big concern is that I wonder whether Lambert realises the scale of the task he has. Talk of 3 or 4 players coming in worries me, as Tring says. We need 7 or 8 Championship/Premier League quality players, just to get within a sniff of the top 6. Look at the Derby team that battered us yesterday, full of experienced players at this level. Yet they're nowhere near finishing in the top 6.

It's also the mentality which needs to change. The home form over the last two years is a real worry, this season for example, only Rotherham have lost more home games than us. They lose loads of away games too though, whereas relatively speaking, we don't. So it's not necessarily the quality of opposition that causes us to get beat at Molineux. It's our approach to games. That needs to change.

For the second time in the space of a few years, we're also in danger of allowing a malaise to set in. Without naming specific players, a lot of them aren't good enough for where we want to be. Yet some of them appear to be beyond criticism, particularly from the club and local media. Justifying a player's selection because he "tries hard" or "wants to do well" is quite frankly, ridiculous. Every single one of us on here would do that if Lambert asked us to play next Sunday. But he won't, because we're not good enough. The same should apply to some of the current squad. Does Lambert have it in him to ditch the mediocrity, or will he fall into the trap of keeping a player because he's "a nice guy", or been at the club a long time? That will be critical to next season.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think anyone with the amount of time on the pitch would have chalked up a few by now.

T

TacticalWolf88

Since day 1 he has consistently said "we're a million miles away from where we need to be but *insert positive spin here*" - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's always maintained there's a lot of work to be done but has never slagged off our current players and why would he? He needed them to get us results this season.

He's also stated on several occasions how big this summer will be for the club. He's under no illusions.

Get behind him and put a bit of faith in him to turn the team around, I for one think he will do it and we'll have a successful season next season.

If he knew that Matt why did he mention playoffs? Had he come in stated playoffs unlikely due to squad, too early he needs time I would take that, he himself said it was possible. His own words in Jan ''"There's no stipulation on 'you must do this or that'. I know the long-term project and the long-term targets'' So he states theres no stipulations to reach playoffs basically then says ''"In the short term it's about getting as far up as we can. Whether that's the playoffs [we'll see], but as long as it's viable then we'll 100% go for it and finish as high as we can''

Then a month later in feb his own words ''"I'm not giving it up. We're playing well, we look a side that's come a long way. We'll keep vying for it and going for it. You look at the gap [to mid-table] and there's not much in it. I'll always look up and we'll see what we can do. If you look at that group from 10th there's one or two points in it.

Now contrast this to Neil Warnock who came in at a similar time as Lambert with a similar poor squad similar table position (above us now) in the same month in feb asked about playoffs for Cardiff after a winning run, his response ''They [journalists] asked me yesterday and they are in cuckoo land''

Just because he's aware we need a huge overhaul doesn't mean he's the right man for the job a casual observer could tell you that.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Some very fair points there mate but what I would caveat them with is that exactly the same arguments could have been applied to Jackett at this point last season.

He had been saying very similar things for months about the current squad needing help and bringing in better quality and 'battle-hardened' experience to help a lot of the kids.

Jackett had also proven that when he did have some quality at his disposal (along with many of the same other 'core players' that Lambert has had to work with), he could produce a team that was capable of near-automatic promotion form over a half-season period.

If we were just looking for stability, continuity and the chance to give a Manager some decent money to spend, then there was more of an argument to do that with Jackett based on what he had shown here (not at other clubs 6-7 years ago) than there currently is for Lambert based on their respective performances at Wolves.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has had an extended trial period this season.
He should know which players need moving on and those who have a future but he does some strange things.
Silvio played well on Tuesday, dropped yesterday.
Bright returned out of nowhere and did ok but he will probably not feature on Sunday.
Edwards is great when he scores but if he doesn't he doesnt offer anything else. Similar to most strikers.
He has said the right things and if we do not start well in August then he has only got himself to blame

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like I've said i will judge him in September after the summer window and a few games lets see what quality he comes up with in the summer i hope its quality players i really do.It should be interesting hopefully

Back
Top Bottom