Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Feigning injury

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Anyone else fed up with players (including ours) wasting so much time by pretending injury after every tackle. Then tell ref ‘no physio’ and having wasted 30+ seconds game restarts.

If physio on player HAS to go off. Suggest ref can insist player who deliberately stays down unnecessarily goes off too.

Similarly when foul committed, book any player who does not IMMEDIATELY retreat to 10 yards.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The trouble is twofold:

1) A lot of the time unless you go down and make a meal of things, you don't get the foul.

2) Feigning injury especially head injuries to stop the game works a treat, and never gets punished. Any player that feigns a head injury should get a 5 game ban first offence. If a team does it multiple times, point deductions.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We were shocking for this under Bruno. Think an element of it comes from the coach/manager.
To be fair to Lage that win away at Brentford was some top class ****housery! Especially after what they did to us earlier in the season.

Seeing their managers reaction was priceless! Really dislike Frank, he is similar to Klopp in that when things go against him he drops the “nice guy” facade!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever the referee stops the game for an “injured” player, that player should go off for 5 minutes. They’d soon stop faking.
Talk about encouraging opponents to commit the sort of niggly injury-causing fouls that don't always attract a booking....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Like all the time wasting tactics the first step is simply to actually add the time on. The idea that a player goes down and the ref stops the game, jogs over and asks if he wants the physio, to be told it's OK, just give me a minute, and no time is added on for that (which always seems to be the case) is mad. What I don't think you can do is ask refs to judge whether am injury is genuine.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One of the issues here is that sometimes a player has the need to feign injury or over egg the tackle made to actually get a free kick.

This was nevermore so evident than yesterday's game against Soton. We were getting naff all out of that ref, it took Cunha going over and acting like his ligaments had snapped to even draw a foul out of that chump ref.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like all the time wasting tactics the first step is simply to actually add the time on. The idea that a player goes down and the ref stops the game, jogs over and asks if he wants the physio, to be told it's OK, just give me a minute, and no time is added on for that (which always seems to be the case) is mad. What I don't think you can do is ask refs to judge whether am injury is genuine.
This. I don't think refs should be responsible for time-keeping. A separate official should note all the stoppages, injury, time-wasting, substitutions, etc, etc and add the appropriate time on, a bit like in the WC. With 5 subs now I honestly can't believe any half of football should not have around 4-6+ minutes et.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with what you say but its not just for time wasting that they do it. Its mostly to break up play and the rhythm of the other team.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. I don't think refs should be responsible for time-keeping. A separate official should note all the stoppages, injury, time-wasting, substitutions, etc, etc and add the appropriate time on, a bit like in the WC. With 5 subs now I honestly can't believe any half of football should not have around 4-6+ minutes et.
Blimey I wouldn't ;like anyone timing me when I am in the WC. :eek::D

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair to Lage that win away at Brentford was some top class ****housery! Especially after what they did to us earlier in the season.

Seeing their managers reaction was priceless! Really dislike Frank, he is similar to Klopp in that when things go against him he drops the “nice guy” facade!
I agree as it was in retaliation, but week in week out I don’t want to see that from us.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else fed up with players (including ours) wasting so much time by pretending injury after every tackle. Then tell ref ‘no physio’ and having wasted 30+ seconds game restarts.

If physio on player HAS to go off. Suggest ref can insist player who deliberately stays down unnecessarily goes off too.

Similarly when foul committed, book any player who does not IMMEDIATELY retreat to 10 yards.
The last paragraph grinds my gears so much. Standing in front of the ball to stop a quick free kick. FFS, you're supposed to be in the entertainment industry

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last paragraph grinds my gears so much. Standing in front of the ball to stop a quick free kick. FFS, you're supposed to be in the entertainment industry
Entertainment is dead at the top level more like a game of chess these days

For me any good game is two teams going gung-ho to win that’s when you get high scoring and entertaining football non of this playing to draw or stifle the opposition rubbish we see every game

Bad example but how interesting was blackpool to watch that season they got relegated from the prem goals every game guaranteed in who’s net the most that’s the excitement

captain chaos

Groupie
Reaction score
Physios should just be allowed to enter the field of play the same as Rugby. If the injury is serious plan can then be stopped.

I would also adopt the same policy as stopping the clock for stoppages that way there would not be X amount of time added on. As soon as the clock reaches 90 minutes game over.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is we can’t even trust an off field official to get the right player who is last man when adjudicating an offside or even draw any lines at all in another instance. Be carnage if we gave them a clock to be in charge of as well. Be there all night.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I ****ing hate that and I never understand why the ref always gives the defending team as much time as they need to set up to defend the free kick. They’ve committed the foul, the attacking team should be able to take the free kick whenever they want

Reactions: Ian

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Physios should just be allowed to enter the field of play the same as Rugby. If the injury is serious plan can then be stopped.

I would also adopt the same policy as stopping the clock for stoppages that way there would not be X amount of time added on. As soon as the clock reaches 90 minutes game over.
My first rule of any proposed changes based on rugby is to ignore them. Both of these are fine examples. The 'it works in cricket /rugby' argument is a large part of how we got into this mess.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I ****ing hate that and I never understand why the ref always gives the defending team as much time as they need to set up to defend the free kick. They’ve committed the foul, the attacking team should be able to take the free kick whenever they want
Yes, whilst wasting another 2/3 mins and no one bats an eyelid

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never understood why the ref makes the player taking the free/corner wait, whilst he has a word with players grappling in the box. Just let them continue and give a freekick/penalty, would soon stop it!

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Quite simply if a head injury is indicated and the game is stopped for that reason the player should have to go off for a set period of time, how long that is I can't say, minutes.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the feigning of injury is depressing and is killing my love for the game.

How refreshing it was to watch plymouth a few weeks ago and to see a constant flow of football with the referee allowing play to continue when a player went down theatrically.

Diving is killing football. Special var operatives must clamp down on this. Well, it should have happened two years ago really.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Get rid of club's allowing their own physio to attend to players on the pitch and replace with a neutral body that supplies the on pitch medical support.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couple of ways to stop it happening …..
Opposition teams stop being so ‘ sporting’ and don’t kick the ball out.
Player has to have a physio come on then has to wait 5 minutes before coming back on.
It’s a blight on the game.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Diving is killing football.
Is it though? Only attendances are at a record high, TV revenue is at ludicrous levels and the game as seemingly never been more popular or profitable.

I've been watching footie from the 80s and diving has always been a part of it. When Serie A came on Channel 4 it was evident it was part of the game. Roberto Donadoni was the first player I saw kick his own legs out from under him and draw a foul out the ref.

I do agree now, that with VAR, if it's assessed as a dive it should be an automatic yellow, and that it should die out if consistently and progressively punished. Che Adams should have been booked after review on Saturday at the end of the game for example.

But to say it's killing football is a little much. It's always been there, we're humans, we'll cheat, it's in our nature.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from VAR, pretending to be hurt is the most annoying thing about football. But how can it be stopped? A lot of players go down now holding their head, which means the referee must stop play.

I agree with others who say that anyone going down ‘injured’ should have to leave the field for five minutes so the medical team can assess them.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would all but stop if the World Cup stoppage time precedent was implemented again.

That was a superb and simple idea that solved the issue almost immediately, but for some reason everyone has since ignored it.
Messed with TV schedules having so much time added on, so it was never going to last (unfortunately)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's part of the 'referee controls all' agenda, so that they get a starring role.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time-wasting over the last 18 months or so feels like it's cranked up to another level. With the price of watching football these days (both live and from the arm chair), it needs to be stamped out.

We don't pay what we're paying to watch keepers lying on the ball and taking 40 odd seconds for a goal kick and countless players rolling around.

binners

Reaction score
In the mI’d 70s when I was playing for a 6th tier club in Germany I saw the coaches at training teaching 9 years olds how to go down at the slightest touch and hold some part of their body to feign injury. It was disgusting to watch

Back
Top Bottom