Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Farewell to ALOB, and your chance to support its final worthy gesture.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
As Penk has already posted, the final issue of ALOB, number 158, goes on sale tomorrow. Copies are already in the post to subscribers.

When Charles knew that ALOB would be finishing, he asked subscribers if they would like a refund on outstanding subs, or if the money should go to charity. The unaminous reply came in favour of a charitable donation in the name of A Load Of Bull.

To that end, as a result of subscriber generosity and goodwill, and adding an additional £208, Charles has been able to make a donation of £2,257.00 to Wolves Community Trust. This money will be used specifically in their disability sports programme, particularly to help youngsters in local schools.

If anyone else would like to contribute to this cause, in order to mark the passing of ALOB, further donations would be very much appreciated.

To find out more about the Community Trust please visit: www.wolvescommunitytrust.org.uk. On the home page, please go to “fundraising and donationsâ€, and then click on the “donate†button. This lets you donate online by card and via paypal. Navigate through the process of making your chosen donation. At the point where you are asked to “please review your donationâ€, you should see your chosen amount, and the purpose as Wolves Community Trust; under that, you will see a small blue underlined option to click on, called “Add special instructions to recipientâ€. Click on there, and then in the box which appears, please enter in it: “A Load of Bull fanzine gift for the Disability Sports Programmeâ€.

Very many thanks to anyone who decides to contribute.
Thanks too to Charles Ross for his great work with ALOB, and generally as an ambassador for Wolves fans.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Excellent. Well done to the subscribers and to Charles Ross.

I enjoyed A load of Bull over the years - yes, it had its faults - but at the time when many fanzines had already packed up, it was great that it lasted as long as it did. I'd much rather spend £2-3 on ALOB than the Wolves official programme.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely there have been more than 158 issues? sorry forgot it wasn`t every home game IIRC.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic achievement from Charles, thanks for all the effort over the years

J

JR's Boots

Thanks to Charles, ALOB was one of the better fanzines and a good read during the lost years in the second tier. I did used to occasionally contribute and always looked forward to JIWAL's rantings.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many thanks Charles, for all your time & effort in producing such an excellent mag.
I've thoroughly enjoyed some excellent reads over the years.
RIP 'A LOAD OF BULL' !!!!!

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
A 'come back' issue at the end of each season would be good.

But as issue 158 signals the end of an era, RIP ALOB.

Goodbye and thanks, to Charles and his friendly team of sellers.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Charlie on a great feat to keep a fanzine going for so long.
But due to the internet, it was going to be hard to keep bringing them out.

All the best from members of Yorkshire Wolves.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pity it's going for good.

Couldn't a single issue per season be produced? Like said somewhere else at the end of each season?

Would Charles be open to handing over the reigns to someone to carry on with it and do this if he has decided he's had enough?

Paris Wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for stickying this Mutchy. Am reading the last edition now and getting very sad and nostalgic.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for stickying this Mutchy. Am reading the last edition now and getting very sad and nostalgic.

Glad to do it Paris. I well remember buying the very first issue from Muriel and Albert in the old Supporters Club caravan by the North Bank.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed ALOB for many years. Thanks Charles.

F

Fred Flintoff

Long shot but I can't make any more games this season so is there a way to buy the last issue online?

Sad to see it go, also contributed to it a few times, thanks for all your amazing efforts over the years Charles.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Congrats Charlie & co for keeping ALOB running as long as it did...RIP ALOB gone but never forgotten

G

George Berry's Afro

Thanks for the memories Charles. By the way Turner Must Stay!

D

Dewsburywolf

Chas was telling everyone at 2.50 that he'd totally sold out but was going to look into doing a reprint. I did ask him if this was financially viable but he was getting swamped with requests so was unable to answer. In the two or three minutes I was stood with him he must have said "sorry we've sold out, but I'm looking into doing a reprint" over a dozen times

RIP A Load of Bull & thanks for the memories Chas. Also to Dave Wharton for instigating it in the first place

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
R.I.P. to a great read........served me well when I was in Germany and looked forward to getting it in the post and sitting down with a few beers to read it all...very apt that we finished the season playing like "A Load of Bull" and being led by two clowns who are also " A Load of Bull.." Ah but the memories, JIWAL and his eternal: "PAH..!!!!! ". Must do an odd "Best Of" as a one -off.......

G

glastowolf

Loved a load of bull, but have to say I couldn't stand JIWAL's constant negativity (whether he was right or not!). Well done Charles, like others have said, most of the stuff in there was a great read, succinctly capturing what it is to be a wolves fan.

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well done Charles! I was a subsciber for many yaers and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Sadly I stopped reading it a couple of years ago, I just found it had lived it's day.

D

Dewsburywolf

Just to say that there was a re-print done if people are still wanting a copy. Probably should have highlighted this earlier in the week for those going to the Arsenal fixture. Not too sure if Charlie or any of his associates are going to the Sunderland game tomorrow though

Shuttlewolf

Reaction score
And the re-print sold out 10 mins before kick off. Thanks for supporting the final ever issue of ALOB. Remember you can still support the www.wolvescommunitytrust.org.uk. like the ALOB subscribers, visit the site and donate the cost of a single copy.

B

BlackBully

I must've been lucky to grab a copy in the Steve Bull concourse at half time then.

Just a quick question - does anyone think that there's a demand for this kind of thing any more? Fanzines, that is?

I realise the internet has not helped in any way and I also realise that the great success of ALOB's final issue was mainly down to it being the final ever issue but if there's still enough demand for it then would there be any merit in continuing its great legacy? Passing the baton down to a new generation, if you will?

I, for one, believe that there's enough demand and think that fanzines will/should always have a place in English footballing culture.

Reaction score
I'm sure there is still a demand, it's just that maybe there's less demand now that you can get news from the internet, there's 24 hour Sky Sports News, the Premiership has come into existence with it's heightened coverage since ALOB began IIRC - ALOB would always sell, it's just probably struggling to break even any more, and it's a hell of a lot of work to keep it going. I certainly don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that someone will one day ask Charles if they can have a go at being the editor though, and we'll see it revived, be it on paper, or as a eZine or some other form.

Back
Top Bottom