Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I concur. But, he looks like he works hard and will get stuck in. I hope the expectation does not get to him. I think he has a trying time ahead, and hopefully has enough about him to Dendonckerise rather than develop a case of the Cutrones.
Nothing like being Dendonckerised with a case of the Cutrones is there lol
Love the turn of phrase :)

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing like being Dendonckerised with a case of the Cutrones is there lol
Love the turn of phrase :)
Thank you. It seemed appropriate. I always liked the Donk, but he needed work, and is a more experienced player. I have seen enough of Silva to see some potential.
As long as he doesn't come down with the Enobakhares or a touch of the Van Dammes...... :eek:

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure where to pose this question so will put it here: Can we recall any of our loaned strikers? I'm thinking Rafa Mir mainly.

BTW I though young Fabio played well.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Silva looked good last night. Linked play well which brought the likes of Neto and Podence into the game. He also got into some good positions for ball into the box, it just didn't quite fall for him.

To be honest, I'm quite astounded there are a few people writing him off already.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was quick to write neto off when he first joined us, which I am ashamed of now. I will keep my mouth shut about fabio.
Takes a bigger man to admit it mate.
Fortunately I’m always bang on the money every time (yeah right).

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dont think theres any chance of any of them. All of them are on season long loans with no recall option.
Are you sure there is no recall option?

I just think that we would be better off paying a penalty fee to a club who have one of our loan players than be held to ransom in January.

Wolves have an 18 year old who has barely played any football as their only striker. Clubs won't roll over and have their bellies tickled just because what happened to Raul.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did OK, was a big game for him, only18, give him a break for goodness sake he's far from the finished article and I'm sure will do his best.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to judge a player who's still getting used to the system and had very limited game minutes. Definitely saw some positives.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He cannot be criticised as he's very young and still learning he may well be an absolute diamond in the future but we can't expect him to lead the line yet.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like I'm in the minority, but although Silva had some nice touches, I didn't think he troubled the Arsenal back 4. I didn't see him put his size to good use by leaning on the centre backs and on a couple of occasions when a cross came in, he didn't read the action, so missed a couple of chances to threaten the Arsenal goal. I realise that he's still very young and will improve with maturity, but didn't see a player worth £35m, even in these times of ridiculous transfer fees.
Still early days in his Wolves career and time is somewhat on his side, but is he really better than Mir and/or Campana? Jury is still out, for me.
Silva now has what could be a long-run in the side, something that many were calling for. Personally, I think we're going to regret not having a ready-made back-up for Raul and may have missed a trick in our summer spending.
If Nuno feels the need for someone more experienced, the January window opens in a month and a transfer could be lined up during December. Someone like Giroud perhaps.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to hope he doesn't get injured. Presumably would have Neto or Podence as centre forward then?

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's a good chance one of Mir, Campana or Cutrone will come back on 1st Jan and be first choice.

Silva to me just looks a bit awkward and has a lot of developing to do ... I don't think he is ready nor do I think it is fair on the lad to be starting every game.

Seriously?! No offence mate but have you seen Mir or Campana?! As for Cutrone, the thought crossed my mind but its bridges burned I reckon.

More likely Jorge brings us in a loan to buy in Jan if Raul is out for a lengthy period.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno feels the need for someone more experienced, the January window opens in a month and a transfer could be lined up during December. Someone like Giroud perhaps.
I think it is very likely, Woburn. Unfortunately we have 6 games in December and 11 games before the end of January. This is a very difficult time of the season to get through without a recognised goalscorer. Hope that Podence and Neto can continue where they left off at Arsenal and of course that Silva's progress is swifter than I fear.

D

Deleted member 11332

Didn't exactly look sharp, but did an ok job for a young lad dropped in the deep end!

I think we might see Traore take the CF role.

As a lone striker? I don't see it. Just stick with the formation and personnel we've just won with and let's try and build some consistency. Game time will do him good.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously?! No offence mate but have you seen Mir or Campana?! As for Cutrone, the thought crossed my mind but its bridges burned I reckon.

More likely Jorge brings us in a loan to buy in Jan if Raul is out for a lengthy period.
I saw Mir for a brief spell when he first joined the club. Has anyone seen Campana play as to my knowledge he's never played a match for Wolves but was on the bench towards the end of last season?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you sure there is no recall option?

I just think that we would be better off paying a penalty fee to a club who have one of our loan players than be held to ransom in January.

Wolves have an 18 year old who has barely played any football as their only striker. Clubs won't roll over and have their bellies tickled just because what happened to Raul.
Yep, absolutely sure.

Even if we could, I dont think we would. Cutrone would be madness to as he is on an obligation to buy, so we'd lose out on the income on a player that didnt work out (and caused a lot of friction with management). Campana is not at the level of Silva and Mir hasnt done a great deal.

There will be a host of available forwards in the Mendes stable in January, we just need to limp through December.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who's the wee (actually he's massive) Romanian chap in our under 23s? Maybe time for some bench action for him?

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

And if Podence had put his shot wide then people on here would be moaning about how we are doomed having to rely on a striker who didn't get a shot on target or even have a touch in a box. Fast forward to the discussion about him on here if we don't beat Villa in a couple of weeks. We spent 35 million on Fabio for the player that we think he will become, not the player he is now.
What? Podence has nothing to do with it. Fabio tees up Adama perfectly for a goal.

Podence scoring or not is a complete irrelevance.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not fair to compare Mir with Cutrone, he’s got 3 goals and an assist in his past 6 games.

Last edited:

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
bit of a shame Vinicius is tied in at Spurs (potentially) think he would be ideal

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Promising.

Some very nice touches and was regular where he needed to be.

Pleasingly, it looks as though he wants to improve and has a bit about him as well.

I’ve been critical with our recruitment at times but you have to credit those who make the decisions for identifying those with the right character/mentality.
He did well under pressure in bloody awful circumstances.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a good chance one of Mir, Campana or Cutrone will come back on 1st Jan and be first choice.

Silva to me just looks a bit awkward and has a lot of developing to do ... I don't think he is ready nor do I think it is fair on the lad to be starting every game.
You are either on a permanent wind-up or are no more a Wolves fan than Lee Hughes is. Every bloody thing that you post is intended to get a reaction. I wonder how long it will be before either most of the posters have you on permanent ignore or the mods get fed up and stick you in pre-mod..

wolf of sedgley

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are either on a permanent wind-up or are no more a Wolves fan than Lee Hughes is. Every bloody thing that you post is intended to get a reaction. I wonder how long it will be before either most of the posters have you on permanent ignore or the mods get fed up and stick you in pre-mod..

I have him on ignore. One of a handful of time wasting WUMs.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coming on in those circumstances would have been difficult for an experienced player, let alone an 18 year old with little to no first team minutes.

I thought he did really well. Linked the play up and kept their defenders occupied. He needs to bulk up a bit, but that will come. But it was his character which impressed me more than anything.

We'll obviously require another forward come January, Giroud perhaps? But Fabio will certainly offer us something too.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva's time has come.
The coaching team will be working on him BIG time.
The pack will rally round and we'll get through this.
Wolves ONLY Wolves!!

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What because we have an 18 year old who hasn't had time to develop as our only striker available?

I'm suggesting we bring back one of our other strikers who are out on loan so we don't ruin a players career before it has even begun.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big chance for him now but we will certainly need a striker signing in January now. Would mind Giroud as a short term option.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he did well. He's happy playing with his back to goal and there are not many 18 year olds who can play that role in the professional game. Yes he did lose it on some occasions but he also managed to lay it off and put people in. It was also noticeable that he very much played in the middle of the pitch and when play was developing he headed straight to the box. I also thought his movement in the box was good, if you re-watch the match he makes late movement and tries to get across players when attacking the ball but he also found pockets of space in the box as well where he wasn't picked up by defenders.

He needs to bulk up and put on a little pace but considering the metamorphosis that the coaching staff do with most of our players that will come. I thought Neto looked like a work experience kid in that first game, 6 stone wet through, and immediately thought he'd be a modern day Corica, nice skills but too lightweight - so very very wrong.

Exactly this. In answer to @SA Wolf, the things Silva is lacking at the moment are the ones that are easiest to coach and improve naturally with maturity/experience/game time.

As we’ve seen with Adama, movement, positioning, general football intelligence are the most difficult things to make great strides with if they don’t come naturally.
Other examples being Rashford, Martial. Gifted technical and athletic players, but still don’t really have a strikers instinct despite comparatively loads of top-level experience.

At least 2 occasions last night, he got a free kick out of a nothing situation, where his only other options were losing the ball or putting it out of play (the one down the touchline being the clearest example. Absolutely nowhere to go, sucks the Arsenal player into making a challenge with his body position, then gets fouled by manipulating his position again).
That’s a sign of an intelligent player, the kind of thing Moutinho does whenever necessary. It’s a rare trait in a lad of 18. This wasn’t some half-pace U23 game, it was an away match in the most physically demanding league in the world, with everything on the line.

Bulking up, confidence and composure in finishing are all likely to improve steadily over time.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. In answer to @SA Wolf, the things Silva is lacking at the moment are the ones that are easiest to coach and improve naturally with maturity/experience/game time.

As we’ve seen with Adama, movement, positioning, general football intelligence are the most difficult things to make great strides with if they don’t come naturally.
Other examples being Rashford, Martial. Gifted technical and athletic players, but still don’t really have a strikers instinct despite comparatively loads of top-level experience.

At least 2 occasions last night, he got a free kick out of a nothing situation, where his only other options were losing the ball or putting it out of play (the one down the touchline being the clearest example. Absolutely nowhere to go, sucks the Arsenal player into making a challenge with his body position, then gets fouled by manipulating his position again).
That’s a sign of an intelligent player, the kind of thing Moutinho does whenever necessary. It’s a rare trait in a lad of 18. This wasn’t some half-pace U23 game, it was an away match in the most physically demanding league in the world, with everything on the line.

Bulking up, confidence and composure in finishing are all likely to improve steadily over time.

Spot on.

Wolvessince63

Reaction score
don’t really get what some people expect of a young 18 year old , forget the price tag that’s not his fault, this kid has amazing ability , I see similarities with a young Fernando Torres , give him time he will be world class.

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
I thought he looked great to be honest. Was quite impressed with his link up play and he seemed to have an intelligence to his game.

I think he'll come good but I wouldn't want to rely on him solely and I think it could do more harm than good to his development if he's constantly playing.

So I think a striker in January is going to be key.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he grew into the game well yesterday

Only 12 professional appearances before he came to us, "be careful in England son, they play physical there"....then comes off the bench after he's just seen his teammate sent to hospital...

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don’t really get what some people expect of a young 18 year old , forget the price tag that’s not his fault, this kid has amazing ability , I see similarities with a young Fernando Torres , give him time he will be world class.
Can’t disagree with any of this but totally don’t understand why we didn’t get in a more experienced striker who didn’t need to learn his trade first.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That run out last night will have done him the world of good, his confidence will be high as he did everything that would have been asked of him. He held the ball up well, kept possession and found a gold shirt. His movement and positioning were great.

Back
Top Bottom