Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 26708

This is us in the dying stages of the game. 6 men in our own half in case the speed demon that is Teemu Pukki has a breakaway.

Chiquinho and Silva on the shoulder ready to pounce, Raul offering the short option. Podence hovering free in the space as Silva is taking up their left back and their LM isn't tracking him

View attachment 26709

Raul receives the ball and turns into space, Chiquinho runs wide dragging their RCB over, and Silva starts a diagonal run to do the same to their LB and LCB.

View attachment 26710
View attachment 26711

Look at all the space he gave Podence to run in to, and Pod/Raul didn't read it.

He does this constantly.

Rewatch Moutinho's goal Vs Brentford. When Moutinho receives the ball, Silva comes short, drags the CB about and opens up the shooting lane which Moutinho uses for the goal.
Very good analysis.

I just rewatched the highlights from Saturday. Fabio's movement in the second half was excellent, a constant threat. I agree with the point that he needs to be part of a front 3, otherwise he can get marked out of the game. Although this is just as true for our other strikers to be honest.

Given his age, his ability is very apparent.

I think he is close to a breakthrough at Wolves so long as he doesnt lose confidence.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not strong enough for a striker attacking midfield maybe

I am by no means Fabio's biggest fan, but as we're all Wolves fans, this may well add some weight to the 'Fabio will be worth it' argument:
That does confirm what we can see, I would argue. Exceptional movement, and getting better all the time at receiving the ball under pressure. It just needs work, especially with Raul, so that they can both be on the pitch at the same time without getting in each others way.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That does confirm what we can see, I would argue. Exceptional movement, and getting better all the time at receiving the ball under pressure. It just needs work, especially with Raul, so that they can both be on the pitch at the same time without getting in each others way.
Both drop too deep which is why Lage wants a target man

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be interesting if Trincao is back tomorrow. Silva likely to be on bench but play as second half sub or visa versa.

Our forwards always have hunt for the ball as we have little midfield central penetration.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was really poor in the first half, and I think there's a ruthlessness missing from his personality at the moment for him to genuinely have any kind of impact on our performances. He's just kinda playing along at the moment and that only gets you so far - there was a point during the first half when Podence put a rocket up him, and he started chasing players down and looking more purposeful, and whilst Podence shouldn't need to do that, Fabio is our investment, so we try to make it work. If he needs someone on his back during games to make sure he's doing the basics then so be it - someone needs to take responsibility.

In fairness his supply chain - Podence - didn't come out of Saturday with much credit in my eyes either as he was well off color, but Fabio wasn't really giving him many options, until the second half when to be fair he did look more threatening. Until then, he wasn't curving his runs at all, and was consequently so predictable to play against.

Most of the goals I've seen him score at youth level he's just used a little decent footwork and then a very good finish. In the premier league, he just isn't even getting the opportunity to have a shot.

He's not blessed with great pace or great strength, and in the premier league you need a little of both if you want to fashion your own chances (look at Neto and how he matured) otherwise you're another Bamford. He doesn't even have the instinct or wherewithal that Bamford has picked up from years of failure.

When you're not chasing down lost causes, not curving your runs and second guessing situations, and can't fashion chances for yourself.....well, you're a passenger.

He wasn't the only player to have a bad day at the office, and I hate to pick on one player especially as the fee wasn't his fault. But he has invariably more bad days than good, more bad moments than good. Whether or not he makes it I have no idea, but we are a poorer team with him starting.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that's the problem, the results mask the issue.
Look at the types of goals scored:

Past 5 games:
Vs Brentford:
2x long range strikes

Vs Southampton:
Penalty
Set piece
Solo effort

Vs United:
Long range

Vs Chelsea
Nil

Vs Brighton:
Set piece

Relying on long range strikes isn't sustainable.
Going games on end without shooting in the box isnt sustainable.

Results have masked the issue.
Conversely, if your best finishers are your central midfielders, play a system that allows you to attack as team and get them into advanced, shooting positions.

Have results masked the issue, or has Bruno worked out the issue and found a temporary fix? The evidence seems to suggest it's a bit of both.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only got 10+5 minutes tonight but he certainly is no game changer, looks lost.
If fosun pulled the plug because of one deal it was for him!! Sorry to Slag any footballer but Fabio and donk are outrageously poor.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m starting to think he needs to start ahead of Raul or, at least, up there in a 352 with him.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we’re questioning the future of our £30m+ striker I think this may be the wrong thread…

I love Jimenez, I’m so glad to see him back fit and healthy, but there is a Wolves striker who’s form I’m concerned about and it isn’t Silva.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m starting to think he needs to start ahead of Raul or, at least, up there in a 352 with him.
I'm starting to think that they should both be benched. Pity there's noone else.
Oh , btw, we should have kept Mir.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s not Silva’s fault we couldn’t score in a brothel, it’s those running the club that are to blame for having neglected the team, and being unable to see the obvious in January.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that's the problem, the results mask the issue.
Look at the types of goals scored:

Past 5 games:
Vs Brentford:
2x long range strikes

Vs Southampton:
Penalty
Set piece
Solo effort

Vs United:
Long range

Vs Chelsea
Nil

Vs Brighton:
Set piece

Relying on long range strikes isn't sustainable.
Going games on end without shooting in the box isnt sustainable.

Results have masked the issue.
These last two games have been painfully predictable.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He should of cracked it when he had the chance but **** me, you lads are being unfair. We were **** before he came on, we were less **** when he did. We could have played for another 12 hours and we wouldn’t have scored.
So, he is supposed to come on and make a difference, regardless if we were **** before or not. His legs are as weak as a kitten when either running or shooting, he has no power in them.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, he is supposed to come on and make a difference, regardless if we were **** before or not. His legs are as weak as a kitten when either running or shooting, he has no power in them.
Lol! Defenders come on to be more defensive and attackers come on to be more attacking. We were more attacking when he came on. Goals aren’t a given you know…

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would like to see them both up top together. Was it 30 odd crosses we put into the box tonight?

How about we have someone in there to get on the end of them.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looks like he wont score. A bit like most of our other attacking players to be fair. Little or no conviction at present.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we’re questioning the future of our £30m+ striker I think this may be the wrong thread…

I love Jimenez, I’m so glad to see him back fit and healthy, but there is a Wolves striker who’s form I’m concerned about and it isn’t Silva.

To be honest I am concerned with the form of Raul, Trincao and Silva. Where are the goals? No existent at present.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
A quality striker has two distinct attributes. The ability to find space in the box. The ability to hit the target 9 times out of 10.

Unfortunately Fabio has neither. Have seen enough now to make that judgement. If we hadn’t paid £35m the lad would be on loan at Cheltenham.

And I’m a glass half full type of person.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul and Silva just look lost. Maybe we need to get Bully on the training pitch with them. Get their confidence up.

Both drop too deep. Raul’s form is worrying Iv said it all along he needs to be replaced. Silva still learning but I get frustrated with his efforts needs to be more selfish and shoot more.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What has Fabio shown you that makes you think he should start ahead of Jimenez?
Raul has been poor ( form, attitude, body language) and as others have said I dont think he or Silva have done enough to be starting...
Hwang is back and id give him a start next game but then he is more of a wide attacker..... surely we must have someone that is consistently putting the goals in the back of the net on our books???

Back
Top Bottom