Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
it was just a deal to line Mendes pockets. And to think I was slated on here when I called him a £35m dud. To be fair he wasn’t too bad the 2nd half of last season, but has gone backwards since.

To be fair, he improved last season because he started getting regular minutes.

This season, he has only really had the Forest game (where he was very good) and tonight (where he really wasn’t).

I still think he will end up a very decent player but probably not until 3-4 years time. Being third choice striker here though isn’t going to help his development. Tough spot for the kid to be in.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nowhere near good enough I'm afraid and has shown nothing special about him to justify the price tag. Not his fault, more Jeff Shi's for signing it off, especially when we have such big holes in the team.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Kourtney Hause didn’t cost £35M, people said he would come good, he didn’t.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This season, he has only really had the Forest game (where he was very good) and tonight (where he really wasn’t).

I still think he will end up a very decent player but probably not until 3-4 years time. Being third choice striker here though isn’t going to help his development. Tough spot for the kid to be in.
I don't think Lage really fancies him either, just a hunch, which makes it even tougher.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A generational talent who gets in any premier league team according to Jeff, a sound investment who makes us a minimum of double our money according to some posters on here.

I just see a kid out of his depth but what what do I know?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m reminded of Sigurdarson and probably with the same outcome alas!

I just don’t see anything there! The Emperor has no clothes yet we look and look and hope to see the robes!

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
He should be playing in the U23's whenever possible. He might excel playing against players his own age which in turn will bring confidence. However, £35m is beyond ludicrous for him. Did we even scout him or did we just take him on someone else's say so?
Either way it's incompetence of the highest order.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve never rooted for somebody as much as I have Fabio but…

What level would we loan him to? I mean can anybody, hand on heart, say that he would go on loan in the championship and play every week? He would need to go to league 1 for guaranteed games I reckon.
Grasshoppers

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The type of signing that only a Man City or Chelsea could afford to make and sit on until it matures, yet we decided to blow several season’s worth of transfer pot on him after just three seasons in the PL and, as it turns out by recent evidence, with a very limited future budget.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Absolute scam of a signing. If we'd have paid £150k for him and loaned him out to Telford I could have maybe understood it. But £35m is just criminal.
100% Absolutely down to Jeff Shi, by his own admission.

Extreme incompetence or well dodgy?
You decide…

As for Fabio, he isn’t going to magically turn into a premier league striker after 5 games he didn’t play in. Need to judge him next year.

Jeff on the other hand has to within the next week.

Reactions: Ian

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A generational talent who gets in any premier league team according to Jeff, a sound investment who makes us a minimum of double our money according to some posters on here.

I just see a kid out of his depth but what what do I know?
I just don't see how a man who I'm sure admitted to not knowing much about football at all just a few years ago should be playing any role whatsoever in judging players' ability.

Signings like this come from a vacuum of ability being directly involved in the recruitment process. If we're trying to run a tight ship on spending, there has to be much more competence in identifying the players who are truly worth putting the big bucks down for. This was a completely "wonky" signing for any club that is trying to minimise its spend as much as we have been over the last 18 months.

Last edited:

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I’ve made up my mind about him now.

I see no positives whatsoever. As someone else said, what is he good at?

The only ray of hope is if he maybe can play in a front 2, we dont know yet. As the middle striker in a 3 he is totally inadequate.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would he get in there though? They’ve got Bonatini and Campana.
True but it's the easiest route given our link or back to Portugal.Personally I would consider even a two year loan get him playing football and see what you have.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but it's the easiest route given our link or back to Portugal.Personally I would consider even two years playing football before coming back.
Yea I don’t think the lower leagues (below championship) will do him any favours. I would 100% be playing him for 90mins in every U23 game from now on though.

He’s been plucked from youth team football too early on in his development and moved to a league he isn’t currently suited to. If we aren’t careful we will ruin the lads career before it’s even started. He needs game time but at the right level.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question to those who rate him… what is he good at? What are his stand out qualities?

“Qualities that can’t be taught” apparently… and that “if you can’t see them you clearly don’t know football”.

I’ve watched him play for a year now, I can honestly say the only quality I can confidently say he has is that he’s a good bloke by the looks of it. Then I’d be left with saying he doesn’t seem to give up. After that I can’t see much.

I don’t begrudge him at all, really wish him well, but quite frankly this looks like one of the worst signings in PL history. The fact that it’s got a fishy smell to it what with the allegations against Porto just makes it all the more uncomfortable to try to process as a fan watching on.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course he aint but that's not his fault. Like Covid, it'll all come out in the wash....

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This transfer still absolutely blows my mind. We spent 75% of the jota money on this guy. He is not fast, he is not good in the air, he is not strong and he is not a finisher. Just what is he supposed to be good at? I'm sorry but i dont believe that we saw such potential in him. We need investigating over this transfer because something is way off about it.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Qualities that can’t be taught” apparently… and that “if you can’t see them you clearly don’t know football”.

I’ve watched him play for a year now, I can honestly say the only quality I can confidently say he has is that he’s a good bloke by the looks of it. Then I’d be left with saying he doesn’t seem to give up. After that I can’t see much.

I don’t begrudge him at all, really wish him well, but quite frankly this looks like one of the worst signings in PL history. The fact that it’s got a fishy smell to it what with the allegations against Porto just makes it all the more uncomfortable to try to process as a fan watching on.
He definitely has qualities that can't be taught.

He also has a lot of deficiencies which he needs to improve.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Jeff shi is a joke ain’t he. 35 million on him but won’t spend it on a centre back.

What planet does that clown live on
I don’t know how Shi has the front to stay role after this and many other disasters. I do know that they longer he stays the worse things will get.

Please Jeff fall on your sword and apologise for personally taking us from the cusp of champions league to the championship (driven by your ego) in your resignation speech.

I have never hoped more that you are reading this!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He definitely has qualities that can't be taught.

He also has a lot of deficiencies which he needs to improve.

What are they? Genuine question. His positional sense is ok, nothing spectacular, his touch and hold up play is adequate, but no more than I’d expect from a person of his frame, his finishing is mediocre too if you look at his conversion rate, and he’s ****e in the air.

That’s in my opinion of course… I know we all see things differently though, and that is part of the joy of football.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are they? Genuine question. His positional sense is ok, nothing spectacular, his touch and hold up play is adequate, but no more than I’d expect from a person of his frame, his finishing is mediocre too if you look at his conversion rate, and he’s ****e in the air.

That’s in my opinion of course… I know we all see things differently though, and that is part of the joy of football.
His positional sense - in my opinion - is really good. He's always in the right place in the box, peeling off and arriving bang on time.

Big issue for me is that he's just not an effective striker. His first touch often goes astray and, as you say, his finishing is hardly dynamite.

I would loan him out personally. He needs game time but he's just not effective enough to warrant it here.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meh from me! Needs to be moved on for his own sake before the crowd turn on him!

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He may well get into the right positions but he has absolutely no composure. Always on his heels, mistiming a shot or being muscled off the ball.

He didn’t hold up a single ball played into his feet tonight.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an awful waste of money and not just reacting to tonights performance.

I've genuinely not seen anything from Fabio to convince me he'll come good. Would love to be proven wrong, just can't see it happening personally.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nowhere near good enough and I don't think he ever will be , what a total waste of money.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This forum would be in a sorry state without @Tring Wolf , @reanswolf , etc. Open you eyes, read and digest!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His positional sense - in my opinion - is really good. He's always in the right place in the box, peeling off and arriving bang on time.

Big issue for me is that he's just not an effective striker. His first touch often goes astray and, as you say, his finishing is hardly dynamite.

I would loan him out personally. He needs game time but he's just not effective enough to warrant it here.

Yep. It's one of several difficult decisions I think the club and/or manager (I've no idea whose in charge these days) has to make. Bite the bullet and send him out on loan.

He did fine against Forest, though they are the worst team in the Championship. And that was their reserves. :D He could struggle in the Championship. Maybe second level in Spain or Portugal as they are somewhat lower level than Championship and sending your record signing on loan to League 1 here would be just too shameful, wouldn't it?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He isn't value now, I think he is a smart enough player to come good in a few years. Still think there is a good player in him.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cannot believe some of the comments on here. Spend 35 million and let him play for the 23,s or go out on loan. The more time he spends around the 1st team around moutinho neves etc is where the kid will learn his trade.

But if I'm honest I'd rather the 35 mil have been spent on a new 10k south bonk that included the corners.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I have tried to be patient with Fabio but sadly I can’t see him making it in the Premier League. Tionight against Spurs he looked totally out of his depth, he offered no threat whatsoever. I know he is young,but the good ones show their promise from the beginning. Keane - exceptionally, Richards missed a few at the beginning, but learned quickly, Bull took a few games to get going …the rest is history. I hope I am wrong with Fabio, but I suspect I am not.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am clinging on to the fact that Harry Kane was **** at this age too... but it doesn't look promising.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but it's the easiest route given our link or back to Portugal.Personally I would consider even a two year loan get him playing football and see what you have.
Maybe loan him to huesca, and give them a four million cut for ' developing' him , when we sell him.

Back
Top Bottom