Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA STATEMENT RE POSTPONEMENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If next week is cancelled too, then Lage can pretty much have a mini preseason to bed the new signings in. He mentioned in one of his pressers recently that they'd had preseason and now the team is different or something to that effect. Could be good for them to take stock and calibrate.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will these matches be played in midweek now?

D

Deleted member (smith)

Wrong decision in my view. I don’t see how playing football is disrespectful. Instead let’s all just sit at home bored all weekend. The whole country would’ve been united bellowing out the national anthem.

agreed ….note too they found themselves incapable of making a decision for the ten days….will the following weekend be cancelled? Will it go ahead? Will there be trains? What further information do they need?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get ****ed. Virtue signal at the highest.

Totally support either this weekend *or* next weekend events being postponed - personally I would prefer the weekend of the actual funeral as that is the time for mourning. But both weekends seems excessive and with respect, not what the Queen herself would have wanted. And the government guidance leaves it down to the sporting associations themselves.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Literally every other aspect of society is open. Workplaces are open. Pubs and restaurants are open. Cinemas and theatres are open, but we can play a game of football.

You can play football and show respect at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
I also don't think the Queen would have wanted this, and I don't think the government wanted it either. It's clearly a Liverpool plot to delay their fixture with us until their players have recovered health and form.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I`ve read somewhere that the fixture list was given a go when Elizabeths father died.
They seem to have sung Abide With Me and the national anthem before the matches started back then.
Personally,I don´t have any problems with the decision given.

At the end of the day,there is more important things in life than football..believe it or not.

Bill Shankly was wrong.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally support either this weekend *or* next weekend events being postponed - personally I would prefer the weekend of the actual funeral as that is the time for mourning. But both weekends seems excessive and with respect, not what the Queen herself would have wanted. And the government guidance leaves it down to the sporting associations themselves.
With respect, we don't know what the Queen would have wanted. If she felt strongly enough about it she'd have left instructions for a minimal period of mourning.

What's for sure though, is it ain't what I want. I don't need to mourn, I just wanna watch some football at the weekend.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of money spent on hotels etc. Is it any different than when games get moved for TV, weather, Cup fixtures or other competitions, illness ....

as to the actual postponement, I can see both sides, yes a mark of respect at games could have been done instead, others will feel a postponement is the right kind of mark of respect, unfortunately it's impossible to please everyone all of the time. It is what is is and the games will go ahead at another time

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A completely nonsensical decision in every single way.

And actually, it would have given a mass of people an opportunity to express their tributes through singing the now old National Anthem or anything else they chose to. But no - Instead, whilst literally every other part of society remains the same we get a leisurely activity taken away from us to achieve absolutely nothing.

Go to work, but don't you even dare think about enjoying yourself at the weekend. Sorry, get to ****. Thought Police.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong decision in my view. I don’t see how playing football is disrespectful. Instead let’s all just sit at home bored all weekend. The whole country would’ve been united bellowing out the national anthem.

Do you think Liverpool would have been respectful had this gone ahead?

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also don't think the Queen would have wanted this, and I don't think the government wanted it either. It's clearly a Liverpool plot to delay their fixture with us until their players have recovered health and form.
well there are conspiracy theories, then there is this one :)

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but apparently the rugby is still on

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A completely nonsensical decision in every single way.

And actually, it would have given a mass of people an opportunity to express their tributes through singing the now old National Anthem or anything else they chose to. But no - Instead, whilst literally every other part of society remains the same we get a leisurely activity taken away from us to achieve absolutely nothing.

Go to work, but don't you even dare think about enjoying yourself at the weekend. Sorry, get to ****. Thought Police.
Check the God Bless the Queen thread. Thought police is spot on.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very odd when all football cancelled.

I really don't understand why professional games are cancelled at such a short notice causing inconvenience and expense to fans who may have booked hotels, transport etc.

However it is more ridiculous grassroots are cancelled, I don't see how the cancellation of a sunday league games and kids football is in anyway to honour the monarch.....yet people can still go pubs, cinemas etc but football is stretch to far.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's still time for them to say they got it wrong and reverse the stupid decision. Obviously, they won't though.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say it is looking more and more a bit of the wrong decision to postpone all these games. Cricket, rugby and horse racing all going ahead this weekend. If all the games are off next weekend then it will look farcical if all these other sports are going ahead.

And they will be off next weekend because of the funeral. At least there'd be some actual logic behind that decision.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I deeply mourn the loss of HM, Queen Elizabeth II, I'm dis-appointed with this decision as crowds throughout the land could have shown their respect in the time honoured way.

Instead, I will do an early shop and go to the local in the evening to watch some live act.
In other words, no different to any other Saturday apart from having football taken away from us.
I'm surprised they havn't requested everyone to stay in doors and listen to mournful music on the radio.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is utterly daft. Could have had a couple of mins silence at each game, black armbands and people who would like to singing the anthem etc. I don’t see what would be remotely disrespectful about playing a football match, and obviously this will be a financial hit to fans, small businesses and low paid staff e.g. pubs and hotels, at what is already a difficult time for many. Rugby is on this weekend ffs!

Lucky me has covid, so my plan was basically to still home and watch footie this weekend. Will have to make do with rolling news coverage and listening to sad piano music or something

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
they wont cancel next weekend on the back of being showed up by other sports.

Unfortunately they wont reverse this or relook at it

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not surprised, but I also don’t agree with cancelling the fixtures this weekend. I agree with those who suggested a better approach would have been a well respected minutes silence, black armbands, and such. I understand some may not wish to attend at this time, but I think a lot of people would have welcomed the opportunity to express their support for her majesty before the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom