Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA Cup Replays SCRAPPED

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For balance, I'm all for it. Increased jeopardy with no possibility of a second chance. Show up or ship out.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve often thought this.
Or make it just for everyone not in any sort of European cup. So all prem teams are in 2 cups, but non in 3. Could be played same midweeks as European games which would help the fixture schedule.
Not a bad idea. And increased possibility of a team outside the top seven earning European football.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scrapping replays is fine.

IF.

The non Premier league/Championship sides chose whether the tie would be played at home or away.

That’s a fair point, but I would take it a step further.

In 3rd and 4th round games, if drawn against a lower league team, the Premier league club will automatically have to play away from home.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In 3rd and 4th round games, if drawn against a lower league team, the Premier league club will automatically have to play away from home

Think the point is to give the lower team the financial opportunity of playing at a Liverpool or Man Utd etc. ie they want to play away..

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would you want to get rid of the League Cup as a Wolves fan?

What does that benefit us? If we won the League Cup next year it would be the best day out/moment for a generation of fans. It would be remembered forever and give us European football.

You want to scrap that potential so Man City and Man United can play Porto and Salzburg in the Club World Cup? Or play each other in an extra Champions League group game?
In the last 20 years it’s been won twice outside the big boys (blues and Swansea) it’s absolutely finished as a competition. No one takes it seriously including managers, players or fans. Attendances are woeful, tv figures are woeful.

Re your last paragraph, point me where I said any of that?

Scrap the tedious league cup and keep the FA cup replays.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Think the point is to give the lower team the financial opportunity of playing at a Liverpool or Man Utd etc. ie they want to play away..
Yes, this would be a problem. Like years ago when small teams decided they couldn't play at home and played away deliberately. It generates the cash, I remember Burton Albion playing at Old Trafford as a non-league team, transformed the finances in one game. Would further guarantee progress for the big clubs though.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In 3rd and 4th round games, if drawn against a lower league team, the Premier league club will automatically have to play away from home.

Bettter for the smaller sides to play away against Premier League sides because of the gate receipts etc.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If people’s concern is a financial pay day for lower league teams, how about doing away with replays but seeding the prem teams in a round or two? Plus maybe giving the non prem team the choice of playing home or away? It would guarantee lots of ties that actually quite rarely happen with a straight draw and replays.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'The current format, which has no replays from the Fifth Round onwards, has been extended throughout the "Competition Proper" in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions.'

In other words, the Big/Sky 6 don't want them.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bettter for the smaller sides to play away against Premier League sides because of the gate receipts etc.
Depends which teams though.
If Sunderland get drawn against Luton or Bournemouth I bet they’d rather play at home…

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scrapping replays is fine.

IF.

The non Premier league/Championship sides chose whether the tie would be played at home or away.
I like the German model where the team lower in the League when the draw is made gets to play at home. (Here, we could amend it so that the home team could opt to play away if they wanted to for a bigger payday).

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is anti-sport. I'm sick of the way Football is run Why can't the Regulator intervene and reverse it? We need to lobby the Regulator for this when it's up and running!

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I like the German model where the team lower in the League when the draw is made gets to play at home. (Here, we could amend it so that the home team could opt to play away if they wanted to for a bigger payday).
Has been suggested before but then teams will probably complain they got a harder draw than a lower seeded side .

I guess managers will prefer the risk of their team playing 120 minutes plus penalties once before a mid week game than a replay .

Guess it will free up an extra week too..

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In the last 20 years it’s been won twice outside the big boys (blues and Swansea) it’s absolutely finished as a competition. No one takes it seriously including managers, players or fans. Attendances are woeful, tv figures are woeful.

Re your last paragraph, point me where I said any of that?

Scrap the tedious league cup and keep the FA cup replays.
Or keep the league Cup for the championship and league one and two.
To give these clubs a chance of of a day out at Wembley and winning some silverware.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
'The current format, which has no replays from the Fifth Round onwards, has been extended throughout the "Competition Proper" in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions.'

In other words, the Big/Sky 6 don't want them.
I think a certain media darling German manager has a lot to answer for.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it wasn’t for FA cup replays or even second replays we wouldn’t have had our highest attendance (was there a Wolves fan who wasn’t there?). Chorley!!

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think a certain media darling German manager has a lot to answer for.
Too late for him to worry about though .

Of the top managers he did seem less keen on the competition.

Man C actually seem to always play strong sides but maybe it’s because they can!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given where the world is now, I'm fine with scrapping replays and deciding on the day.

I'd also remove 2 legs from League Cup semi-finals.

Finally, I'd make the result at 90 mins stand and be looking forward to this weekend more.

Yes I am over 25, not American and understand the excitement of a drawn test match.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There is a line in the press release that says that games will be played exclusively on weekends, a few lines further they say about an extended weekend for the 4th round with games being played between Friday and Wednesday, since when have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday been classed as a weekend ?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
There is a line in the press release that says that games will be played exclusively on weekends, a few lines further they say about an extended weekend for the 4th round with games being played between Friday and Wednesday, since when have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday been classed as a weekend ?
The weekend is surely Saturday and Sunday. Even Friday and Monday isn’t the weekend.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I’ve just seen this suggestion on Twitter, and I think it’s brilliant:-

If a draw after 90 minutes, the lowest placed team in the league pyramid goes through, if you are an "elite" team and can't beat a minnow after 90 you don't deserve to go through.

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just seen this suggestion on Twitter, and I think it’s brilliant:-

If a draw after 90 minutes, the lowest placed team in the league pyramid goes through, if you are an "elite" team and can't beat a minnow after 90 you don't deserve to go through.

Thats fine until top of the league City draw 1-1 with 2nd placed Liverpool, should Liverpool just go through cos theyre lower?

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of wacky ideas to try and improve the FA Cup but surely in a sport where the only thing that matters is money (even the EFL are seeking compo rather than a reversal of todays decision) surely the only solution is to find a way of hugely increasing the prize money of the FA Cup.

For context Maidstone received approx £700k for their epic cup run while a PL club will earn 4 times that amount just by jumping up a place in the league.

There’s your problem. Lol

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next step will be to go straight to penalties, get rid of that tiring 90 minutes beforehand… :)
It is a little bit of a joke. It has advantages and disadvantages if anything beneficial to bigger clubs putting out a stronger side…. Are they hoping for less injuries? They need to space the games out make the season longer not shorter but hey ho. Having more warm weather games would reduce injuries. Cold weather muscles tighten quicker

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simple, give the FA Cup winners a champions league place and ask the ‘elite’ teams if they wish to enter.

If they don’t, then they can withdraw from it. My guess is if it has a champions league place they’ll want to play.

Honestly wish the big 6 would have ****ed off over the super league and leave us to it. Far more interesting competition that way.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats fine until top of the league City draw 1-1 with 2nd placed Liverpool, should Liverpool just go through cos theyre lower?
I would imagine that the original idea meant team from a lower division, rather than the same division.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And it’s pure bull**** to move the final to the weekend before the Premier League ends. They use the excuse of giving players at least three weeks off to re-energise but then fail to mention the world-wide tours and friendlies these tired players have to play in. The FA Cup should ALWAYS be the last game of the season.
Moving the final forward to within the league season will only exacerbate congestion, so it isn't about that. This (along with the decision being taken behind the backs of the EFL) is the final mask-off moment from the FA and the Premier League. They have made it crystal clear they resent the Cup, they don't care who knows it, and openly seek to tarnish its luster by having it play second fiddle to the final league day.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could they have allowed clubs to agree beforehand if they didn't want a replay, or is that too damaging to the competition?

If City played Leeds for example this season, I would guess that both don't want a replay as they push for the title and promotion, so that could be a solution.

So if both agree beforehand, a replay can be scrapped. But if one club doesn't, replay as normal.

Far from ideal but a potential option to help lower league clubs. You could already argue the competition is allowing different rules with VAR available for Premier League teams if they play at home.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potentially it works in favour of the lower league clubs. If they get to penalties against a Prem team, they have a 50/50 chance of winning.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really poor that the EFL and its clubs weren’t consulted at all, absolutely stinks. The top clubs scream player welfare but are more than happy to send them off around the world playing exhibition matches. I hate what modern football is becoming.

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we know if our club supported this change? If so, we should make our views known to them.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m personally in favour of this on the basis the fans travelling to the game deserve to see the tie concluded on the day.

Back
Top Bottom