Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA Charge again : Chelsea Homophobic chants

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's the point of discussing a hypothetical scenario you've just dreamt up?

I suspect part of the reason gay footballers haven't come out is because some ... would think they're doing it just to get exposure, be signed by a team above their ability level, and even fast-tracked into the England team.
Very true

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to know how any club can ensure their fans dont chant some inappropriate song?
Every club in the land chants you fat ******* at the goalie every goal kick dont they, and far far worse during games,nothing is ever said
Its gone on for years and nothing has been said why now?and why us?
As others have said its chanted at several grounds and has been for years,not condoning it at all but its fact

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to know how any club can ensure their fans dont chant some inappropriate song?
Every club in the land chants you fat ******* at the goalie every goal kick dont they, and far far worse during games,nothing is ever said
Its gone on for years and nothing has been said why now?and why us?
As others have said its chanted at several grounds and has been for years,not condoning it at all but its fact

It’s quite straightforward really.

Commenting on someone’s weight is not against the law.

Racism and homophobia are.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yet. There have been a number of calls for body-shaming to be designated a hate crime. One person's 'chubby' is another person's body dysmorphia.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I’m concerned we deserve what’s coming to us with it, there’s just no place for it in modern society whether it’s “banter” or not. However if that is the case then ALL clubs found to have done it this season deserve exactly the same punishment

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well although your technically right its shaky ground if taken to court as its verbal abuse and harassment which is against the law

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I’m concerned we deserve what’s coming to us with it, there’s just no place for it in modern society whether it’s “banter” or not. However if that is the case then ALL clubs found to have done it this season deserve exactly the same punishment
Spot on.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a good article and worth a read for anyone doubting whether it represents a homophobic chant or not.

As for the charge, it’s a farce. If the FA told clubs back in January that clubs could or would be charged if their fans sang this chant, then where are the charges for the other instances? This is especially the case for clubs which took no action during or after the incidents. So I assume our defence will be that we promptly told fans over the tannoy to stop, and after the match, assisted the authorities in identifying perpetrators. I’m not aware it was some fan protest organised in advance that the club could have reasonably known about and taken action to prevent, so to charge a club who takes the required action, and not others which don’t, seems perverse.
The only thing l can think of is that the police were involved at Molineux. Perhaps that didn't happen elsewhere.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet. There have been a number of calls for body-shaming to be designated a hate crime. One person's 'chubby' is another person's body dysmorphia.

Well although your technically right its shaky ground if taken to court as its verbal abuse and harassment which is against the law

How would you feel about ‘you fat *******’ becoming outlawed?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well the FA haven’t acted against the other clubs, and I don’t know if the other clubs tried to stop the chanting, as we did, or aided the prosecution of the offenders, as we did. So unless we see a slew of these changes against each and every club, then I think the charge against us is unjustified.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the FA haven’t acted against the other clubs, and I don’t know if the other clubs tried to stop the chanting, as we did, or aided the prosecution of the offenders, as we did. So unless we see a slew of these changes against each and every club, then I think the charge against us is unjustified.
That’s literally what I said…….

We have to take the charge on the chin however if we are punished then so should others.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indifference. Are there any fat goalies nowadays? Very much of its time (the 1980/90s) & aimed at the porkier end of the goal keeper spectrum (eg Steve Cherry, who used to take it in very good spirit )

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It should be outlawed on the basis of the complete lack of self awareness of the user. More fat on a carrot than on Ben Foster but he gets it from a 18 stone bloke in the south bank still desperately squeezed into his 34” waist jeans with his gut over spilling to his knees.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s literally what I said…….

We have to take the charge on the chin however if we are punished then so should others.

I think my inference was that we shouldn’t get charged because other clubs haven’t been for incidents which happened before our game, and there was no change in rules or advice in between. Especially as we did just about as much to stop it as any club could reasonably do, so the FA are being unreasonable in singling us out.

So the same gist but a different emphasis.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sunderland fan put graffiti on Preston War Memorial on Saturday. See thread on their website,

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a parent there are lots of other chants that offend me more than this one. Not saying there shouldn’t be a sanction and we should of course be inclusive for all but the last part of Albion get battered I have more difficulty with.

Consistency is important and there should be clarity and sanctions for all.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps Chelsea could own it (like Spurs supporters) & register the name (like Rebekah Vardy's Wagatha Christie). Use it as an ironic badge of pride (like queer & N-word). Has to be better than The Pensioners or boring old Blues.

Puregold

Reaction score
This really feels like the FA have completely lost any creditability that they may have had, how in the world can Wolves account for some people deciding to chant something that is deemed not acceptable in the world we live in today.

There are a few clubs that could have been charged, why Wolves?

When you consider what goes on in this world and they bring this to attention and possible sanctions for Wolves beggars belief!

They have referres and linesman who cheat, lie or just plain useless and they push this forward, what a waste of time and money.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a parent there are lots of other chants that offend me more than this one. Not saying there shouldn’t be a sanction and we should of course be inclusive for all but the last part of Albion get battered I have more difficulty with.

Consistency is important and there should be clarity and sanctions for all.
We can use the truth defence on that one.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s be honest the reason why the FA have recently gone into over drive issuing sanctions like this, and investigating club owners, is entirely to try and demonstrate to the government and its new regulator that it is in control.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re correct it is ****ing ridiculous, How many Chelsea fans were offended!!! upset!!! hurt!!! cut to the quick!!! in tears!!! There are are to many who want Football to be sterilised to the level of Operating theatre
Yep. I get that some chants (this one included) are old hat and out dated and not needed but I can’t imagine that there were any fans at that game fuming at such a chant from one set of fans to another.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. I get that some chants (this one included) are old hat and out dated and not needed but I can’t imagine that there were any fans at that game fuming at such a chant from one set of fans to another.
Its not about the fans specifically though is it? Its about the gay community as a whole knowing that its (still) deemed acceptable/unacceptable for their sexuality to be used as a weapon of insult in a football setting.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that some think it’s just “banter” (god I hate that phrase) but as others point out it’s derogatory to the LGBTQ community. I’m sure those who think it’s just banter come from a place where their sexuality isn’t made fun of. I’ve got a gay mate who came out late in life and used to have a season ticket for them lot down the road, he doesn’t go now because he doesn’t want to hear such phrases over something he fought internally about all his adult life.

There also has to be a line, if the Chelsea bit is deemed acceptable what about if we play a team with a coach who is disabled, are they fair game for some “banter” or how about a black manager, is he fair game for “banter”.

Ultimately as reasonable human beings there’s no room in society for being homophobic, racist or ablist let alone in football. This isn’t 1985, we aren’t watching Alf Garnet and it’s really not funny.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It should be outlawed on the basis of the complete lack of self awareness of the user. More fat on a carrot than on Ben Foster but he gets it from a 18 stone bloke in the south bank still desperately squeezed into his 34” waist jeans with his gut over spilling to his knees.
Lmao brilliant.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
If I remember correctly also. This whole thing over 'homophobic chanting'. What it was, was our fans were showing a disagreement with Ivon Toney's behaviour. In relation to his betting. When players aren't allowed to do this. A small minority of our fans, then got a bit silly, and decided to chant homophobic language. I think it was 3 people, but that's the thing with chants. Especially in the South Bank. All it takes is a couple of people to chant something, and the whole crowd joins in. Blissfully unaware of the consequences. For anyone to say the FA is on a 'power trip' is ill informed.
No, it was for a chant aimed at Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom