Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Express & Star Poor Grammar

W

wolvesultra

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...5/20/your-the-boss-who-would-sign-for-wolves/

Surely it is You're. Pet hate of mine but would have thought a paper would have got it right!!

they often make such simple mistakes and with basic information too. To an extent journalism as a whole is on a slide such things are no longer considered important but getting a story out on twitter within sseconds is!

A pal of mine writes for the Express and Star I give him loads of grief :D

S

Snarlingwolf

The best of it is that the glaring mistake is repeated !

I would have thought that to work for the E & S you would have had to have at least a good knowledge of English language.............with even a basic qualification in it, too??

E

Essex Wolf

I would have thought that to work for the E & S you would have had to have at least a good knowledge of English language.............with even a basic qualification in it, too??

You know what they say about assumption Doogiskingwolf?

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There lies the problem in that the barest pass grade at GCSE is so far from actual competence in the language as to be worthless to all intents as a guarantee of proficiency.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grammar.jpg

wildfire_wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It also gripe's me when people use apostrophe's in the wrong place's.

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My biggest gripe regarding bad grammar is when people say "of" when it should be "have",as in "should have" or "could have" or "would have",and so on, or am I being pedantic.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What you onna abert mate. E&Sh is my favrite fab paypa. Howw dare ya surgest tha theyr nott up to gernalistik standurd. Thayre punchuashun is write up theyre wive the Gardian.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"who would want to replace Sako?" - nobody in a sane state of mind I hope.

An even worse mistake in my eyes. Must have been in a rush to get to the pub.

W

wolvesultra

What you onna abert mate. E&Sh is my favrite fab paypa. Howw dare ya surgest tha theyr nott up to gernalistik standurd. Thayre punchuashun is write up theyre wive the Gardian.

I know this is in jest but I must point out there is a massive difference with speaking with an accent and or local dialect than simply bad grammar/spelling.

Despite what the southern biased media may try to brainwash us with using an accent and your local dialect does NOT show a lack of intelligence / education.

Its an unfortunate but commonly held myth that in order to be considered clever or eductated you need to lose your accent and dialect.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've come to the wrong place to complain about grammar, (Mol Mix).

Here's another common mistake, mixing up 'of' and 'have'; [Edwards should of made the forward pass].

and another; 'are' and 'our' [We really love are team]

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He done well is another example of sub-standard English. More a London expression I think.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I blame the education system, not enough discipline. In our day, bad grammar was punished by a thrashing with a leather belt, with a piece of lead sewn in the end.

S

Smudgewolf

Grammar - the difference between knowing your $$$$$ & knowing you’re $$$$$!

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A common error that always irritates me is the use of "affect" when the correct word should be "effect".

O

oldwulf

Yes wildfire, that annoys me as well and the incorrect us of 'of' and 'have', as someone else has pointed out.

And "the AMOUNT of goals he's scored" when it should be "the NUMBER of goals he's scored". "Amount" is how much, "number" is how many. You wouldn't say "how much goals has he scored this season?" But you could say

"The farmer has a large AMOUNT of hay in his field" and

"A large NUMBER of crows are taking it for their nests"

wildfire_wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I feel all edumercated.

You can tell the footy's stopped....

Roll on the 14th June :)

V

Vita45

E&S published a poem recently, awful stuff from one of their regular would-be bards, in which Sako was praised for his "Gaelic skills". I never realised he was Irish!

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really irritates me when people type "of" instead of "off" too.

It's crazy that so many people can't grasp basic English - despite spending at least 12 years at school.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really irritates me when people type "of" instead of "off" too.

It's crazy that so many people can't grasp basic English - despite spending at least 12 years at school.

Please get off of everybody's back!!

D

Dewsburywolf

Always presuming they actually attended school, truancy is a very common issue

Surprised this thread's been allowed to stay to be fair

V

vega recollection

"When that Aprille with his shoures sote
The droghte of March hath perced to the rote
Than longen folk to goon on pilgrimages."....there,hope that's clear!

V

Vita45

Anybody see E&S review slagging off Bully's restaurant? It referred to Bully as now being a "restauranteur" - it should be restaurateur. They presume to criticise a food place yet do not even know the correct word for someone who runs a restaurant. You'd think the paper's editor would tell his reporters about these things.

Back
Top Bottom