Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Express and Star thread. Time to highlight their lies and spin.

Y

yammer

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/04/mick-mccarthy-wolves-will-get-physical/

The Headline - Mick McCarthy: Wolves will get physical

The quotes -
“It kind of suited people to give them a stick to beat us with at the time,†said the boss.

“But it did us a real disservice because we were going to away grounds and the fans were screaming ‘dirty Wolves’ at any tackle that went in.

“Some of the staff from other teams were using it to get at the officials, saying ‘look, it’s Wolves, they’re always kicking this and that’. And yet nothing could be further from the truth.â€

------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice there is no comments section underneath :rolleyes:

I propose its time we highlight the constant rubbish articles like this from this posionous little rag in this ongoing thread.

B

basshead

I looked at that too, could it be that if you subscribe you get the full article?

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Or why not just accept that it's a struggling provincal newspaper with staff hardly being paid millions and decide that if you don't like what they print - don't buy it and don't read their website.

Whilst I don't personally buy the paper and take everything Wolves related with a pinch of salt - the constant vitriol aimed at the paper and in particular Tim Nash surprises me.

Everyone should take a deep breath and relax - it isn't that important.

Y

yammer

Or why not just accept that it's a struggling provincal newspaper with staff hardly being paid millions and decide that if you don't like what they print - don't buy it and don't read their website.

Whilst I don't personally buy the paper and take everything Wolves related with a pinch of salt - the constant vitriol aimed at the paper and in particular Tim Nash surprises me.

Everyone should take a deep breath and relax - it isn't that important.

McCarthy says himself in the quotes how the unfair reputation we gained worked against us so the local paper tries to imply we are going to "get physical" and reminds everyone that we like to mix it.

I can just imagine the debate on talksport with wound up Newcastle and Arsenal supporters. That in my opinion is having a direct negative bearing on the club and should be highlighted for the rubbish that it is.

P

Penk Wolf

And don't forget the majority of Wolves fans believe what they read in the E&S.

However, I also feel that the club are partially to blame for this and the two parties should sit together and get it sorted. The Club need the paper more than the paper need the club.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Wolves are a physical side and at times last season overstepped the mark. The tackle by Henry was horrendous - if the situation was reversed, people on here would be spitting blood. The way we targetted Barton as well in the Newcastle game...

The media fuore was over the top (though not without some justification), but McCarthy and Wolves' PR team did a good job in deflecting some of the criticism and by the end of the season I think people no longer associated the team with those earlier tags.

The headline may well be misleading - although surely we should read the whole article first - but headlines are often misleading in newspapers - very often it's not the writer of the article who will write the headline. Even if you are corrent and it is lies and spin - they are trying to sell their product.

Fortunatly, I never listen to Talk$$$$ - so I'm immune from some of the anti Wolves comments that may be heard!

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Club need the paper more than the paper need the club.

In what way?

With an official site they have their own outlet to let fans know of any news etc. and more importantly one they can control.

Can't see what benefit the E&S is to Wolves other than being a constant thorn in their side releasing rumours and generally causing annoyance.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I propose its time we highlight the constant rubbish articles like this from this posionous little rag in this ongoing thread.

There's already one below about Roger Johnson and Ron Flowers....misleading headline with no substance to the story promised.

Seasider

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Club need the paper more than the paper need the club.

Can't agree with this, particularly in this new media age. I read the E&S everyday online, but in terms of Wolves reporting it seems that most stories are generated from a web trawl. I have no axe to grind and there can be no doubt that the newspaper industry is really being squeezed financially. This story, however, is poor...the headline does not reflect the story below it.

P

Penk Wolf

In what way?

With an official site they have their own outlet to let fans know of any news etc. and more importantly one they can control.

Can't see what benefit the E&S is to Wolves other than being a constant thorn in their side releasing rumours and generally causing annoyance.

What % of Wolves fans read stuff on the internet? Generally these people will get their information from flicking through the back pages of the E&S or nationals. A lot of people I speak to who don't read the internet seem to take the E&S as gospel. Hence, why the club needs the E&S

However, I wouldn't think there is that high % of people buy the E&S because of the sports sections. Hence, why the E&S doesn't need the club.

D

Deleted member 3604

Tim Nash isnt too happy about grumblings from somewhere..

Tend to agree. Where in this quote " Wolves boss Mick McCarthy today declared he wants his team to ‘get physical’ again this season " does it suggest McCarthy want's a repeat of the rampaging and pillaging that was inflicted on opposing teams last season. It all caused Garth Crooks a hissy fit.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What % of Wolves fans read stuff on the internet? Generally these people will get their information from flicking through the back pages of the E&S or nationals. A lot of people I speak to who don't read the internet seem to take the E&S as gospel. Hence, why the club needs the E&S

However, I wouldn't think there is that high % of people buy the E&S because of the sports sections. Hence, why the E&S doesn't need the club.

Ok, but what meaningful information are these fans receiving? If the club want to say something they have plenty of their own means of doing this.

Doesn't it worry you that such a high % of fans have their opinions set for them based on such terrible and usually uninformed articles?

The paper media is dying, i'd say the E&S need any help they can get. Rebuilding their relationship with the club so that they're a credible source of information would be a start.

B

BeardyWolf

Is that a deliberate mis-spelling of "bunkum" Beardy? Very funny if so!
Of course, I'm probably one of the funniest people on this forum, just a lot of people though some of stuff I wrote was in all seriousness in the past.

Your good friend Beardywolf!

P

Penk Wolf

Ok, but what meaningful information are these fans receiving? If the club want to say something they have plenty of their own means of doing this. There not which is why the club need to sit down with the paper and get it sorted

Doesn't it worry you that such a high % of fans have their opinions set for them based on such terrible and usually uninformed articles? Yes, as above.

The paper media is dying, i'd say the E&S need any help they can get. Rebuilding their relationship with the club so that they're a credible source of information would be a start. The group turnover £118M and like all business models they have to change with the times and that appears to be moving away from the E&S.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's already one below about Roger Johnson and Ron Flowers....misleading headline with no substance to the story promised.

The full story was in the paper last night with Flowers' take on the captains he played under which was an interesting article if truth be told. Sometimes the E&S do print decent pieces, not that often I grant you and why Peter Rhodes gets his own column i'll never know. Martin Swain usually writes interesting stuff but when he's on holiday they let Steve Madeley bore us all with his take on the world, which is about as interesting as Jason Cundy's opinions on TALK$$$$E.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UNCLE REMUS

I read the "Star" regularly and it's no worse or better than any other part of the press or the media in general, you take from it what you want and I know that of recent times that anything they say regarding Wolves has to be taken with a pinch of salt. The club have openely said that any transfer dealings or matters withing the club are for the club to know.

All of the media these days thrives on bad or misinformed news.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's amazing, what do the naysayers do when the closed season arrives and there is nothing to moan about on the pitch? . . . . well now it seems that they moan about the journalists that cover Wolves!!!!!:mad:

The quicker the season get's underway the better . . . am sure Tim would heartily agree and please, give him a break ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

cooper_J

I feel sorry for Tim Nash, feeding on the scraps from the Molineux table but he doesn't do himself any favours when the headline bares hardly any reflection to the story.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I haven't got any particular axe to grind for or against the E&S but how come everyone is so happy to take as gospel the Halford story in a provincial Portsmouth paper when it could just as easily be ill informed drivel.

Fact of the matter is that most of what is reported in the E&S about Wolves is usually a topic of discussion already on this site, as we too trawl through the national media for scraps of info (which for all we know are made up)....the E&S are probably doing the same and cherry picking the more likely of these news items.

Seasider

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't got any particular axe to grind for or against the E&S but how come everyone is so happy to take as gospel the Halford story in a provincial Portsmouth paper when it could just as easily be ill informed drivel.

My issue is that it is presented as a news story when really it could have been highlighted in an E&S 'best of the web' about Wolves. I'm not having a go at Nash in particular, I'm sure the web provides plenty of regurgitated copy for local and national newspapers. I guess it's the way of the new media world...

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to the E&S site but was distracted by the Panache superbra advert and clicked on that instead:adore:

UEAwolf

Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of insulting other people on twitter.

If you don't have the bottle to say it to someone's face - don't do it.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of insulting other people on twitter.

OK no more insults on here unless we all have the bottle to say it to someone's face :rolleyes: :D

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Point taken - but twitter is more personal. It's like someone posting insults on somebody's facebook page - why go to all that trouble?

LG Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would say it to his face if I ever met him.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There not which is why the club need to sit down with the paper and get it sorted

The group turnover £118M and like all business models they have to change with the times and that appears to be moving away from the E&S.

I don't think that we should pander to them just to stop them writing rubbish about us. We don't owe them anything.

If like you say they are moving away from a paper based E&S (to online alternatives I presume), dwindling that offline reader base, then back to the original point... why do Wolves need them when they have their own controlled outlet?

P

Penk Wolf

I don't think that we should pander to them just to stop them writing rubbish about us. We don't owe them anything.

If like you say they are moving away from a paper based E&S (to online alternatives I presume), dwindling that offline reader base, then back to the original point... why do Wolves need them when they have their own controlled outlet?

I'm not saying pander, I'm saying come to an agreement that's beneficial to both parties.

I would guess the online bit would also fall under the E&S banner.

Principal activities for Claverley Group is 'HOLDING COMPANY WHOSE SUBSIDIARIES ARE ENGAGED IN NEWSPAPER PUBLISHERS, COMMERCIAL PRINTERS, MARKETING OF COMPUTER SYSTEMS, INSURANCE'.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again; the comments section of the E & S makes me despair in the future of mankind.

'We'm only spent £7 million. It's a disgrace lioke. Mad mick owwwwt'

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again; the comments section of the E & S makes me despair in the future of mankind.

'We'm only spent £7 million. It's a disgrace lioke. Mad mick owwwwt'

I get pelters every time I even insinuate this, but the average number of fingers per fan at Molineux is reason for concern.

Back
Top Bottom