Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton Verdict

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves brilliant again. Personally think Raul has been rejuvenated the last 2 performance after being left. Could say the same for Kilman after being rested for Watford.

Just want to touch on Dendoncker’s 2nd half performance. Absolutely sensational positionally. We are all aware of his technical limitations. But one other poster mentioned imagining Sanches today in Donk’s shoes. I don’t quite understand why this forum has such a hard on for him but I am salivating at the fact it’s most likely going to be a better more experienced MGW than we’ve seen before playing in that role next season.
Yes that was me.

Dendoncker offers pretty much nothing offensively and his ‘sensational positioning’ in a half where we dominated possession was probably not that decisive a factor.

It’s that classic binary position - somebody mentioned his part in the goal for basically a 7 yard pass. He’s average at best but a good squad option.

The reason many posters, myself included, talk about RS as whilst not some sort of panacea, it is what we are absolutely lacking from midfield - athleticism, ball carrying, pace, dynamism and goal threat.

If you can genuinely suggest that LD is a better option than RS, then that is a matter for you, but I think many would suggest otherwise. MGW could work but isn’t box to box/ 2-way - which is what we are missing and have been for a very long time.

Finally, to be clear, I don’t have a hard-on for Sanches. It was from something else.

Last edited:

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Problem with that is you leave yourself open to a goal from nothing. Not that they really threatened but it only takes a few seconds to score.
The other problem is that we sit back and try to soak up the pressure. Far more likely to concede that way. See Leeds, Arsenal.. got away with it at home against Leicester. I think such performances are a hangover
from our time under Nuno. Sure against City and Liverpool it’s all we can expect but agaisnt the rest of the league if we are a goal up we have the quality to go for the jugular. Hopefully Bruno is slowly trying to implement this so we break out of our old habits.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good performance, was always worried when we're only leading 1-0 and don't kill the game off.

I thought Jimenez had an average to poor game only due to his link up play was let down by his passing. Silva should have had at least the last twenty minutes to see if he could do better.
He looked despondent when he walked off

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are very lucky to have him. And particularly lucky to have had him in the Championship, that was frankly ridiculous. I'm not sure about 'head and shoulders' though... RAN, Jonny, Moutinho, Kilman and Sa (arguably the Pod too) are all at least shoulder level talent-wise. His potential level is almost limitless though, kid's got the lot in terms of defensive midfielder, breaks up play, makes time for himself, has vision, touch, passing range, everything.
Until a few weeks ago that’s a fair point, but it seems Ruben is stepping up levels every game now.
His goal involvements are way up this season, he’s getting better when being pressed and in tight areas…and as if he even chipped the ball over his man and surged 40 yards up the field today.
We’re truly seeing championship style Neves now at the top level.
That’s what Bruno challenged him to do. ‘Why aren’t you an automatic pick for country, why aren’t the champions league clubs queueing up for you’ type quotes.

He deserves both now, but only one would make me happy.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow. That's a good bit of research from that original bluenose.

Clubs, like empires and families, are always falling and rising. Everton might be on the wane but they're so big a club I see them bobbing straight back up à la West Ham and Newcastle. Honestly, if they were to go down I can't see them doing a Wednesday or Forest, they're too damn big for that.
Unless of course they end up in full financial meltdown, and be Leeds or Sunderland instead.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
It was a poor first half but it may have been our game plan all along. Everton have a hostile crowd and their players were up for it. So containment was the first priority. In the second, we more or less controlled the game with some glorious training-like possession play. However, Everton still had one or two chances and had the Richarlison header gone in and not hit the post, it would have been game on with a different outcome. We live on fine margins.
Everyone is aware of our limitations in front of goal and a striker at the top of his game would have put this game to bed earlier. Raul has a presence and is still a handful but his touch and passing was very poor today. His shooting was wayward with none threatening their goalie. I love Raul and he is all Wolves, but his star is fading. It is very obvious and quite sad to see. Maybe, just maybe, he will refind his form and killer instint - and you will find no-one happier than me if that were to happen. But I think in reality a new senior striker is a top priority for next season. Doesnt mean Raul should leave as he still has a lot to offer but the emphasis should not be on him for goals.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was the archetypal game of two halves. How many times have we said that about Wolves!!! First half was staid, boring, sloppy and as dull a football match as there could be. Second half was controlled, possession-based and some of the passing was delightful, although without really having a cutting edge. That our Liverpool fan, Coady should get the all-important goal was an added bonus, rubbing salt into the blue half of Scouseland. Great to put back to back wins on the board after three defeats and suddenly we are back in the mix for European honours. Hope we can beat Leeds on Friday and see where we are after the next round of matches.

Sa - 7.5- Did everything asked of him (which wasn't much as Everton were dire). Sweeper-keeper supreme.
Saiss - 7 - Not troubled.
Coady - 8 - Loads of time at the back to pass forwards and popped-up with the all-important goal.
Max - 7 - Looked as though he hadn't been away. Masterstroke by Bruno to drop him for the Watford game.
Marcal - 7 - Steady game. Certainly not as dynamic as RAN, but didn't let us down.
Jonny - 7.5 - Continues his comeback displaying the consistency we know him for.
Moutinho - 7 - Poor first half, as most were. Kept the midfield ticking in the second.
Neves - 8 - Similar second half to his superb Watford performance, but without the goal. MotM again!
Dendoncker - 6 - Got through some important work, but lacked any real presence.
Hwang - N/A - Injured before he could really contribute. Hopefully nothing too serious.
Jimenez - 6 - Worked hard as always, but never a serious threat to Everton.

Subs;

Podence - 7 - Lots of work, lots of tricks, lots of theatrics.
Trincao - N/A - Meh.
Silva - N/A - Meh.

Bruno came in for some criticism, pre-match by changing the line-up most of us would have preferred. Whether that worked, we'll never know as he was forced to change it after 15 mins. In any case, we won the match, so it doesn't really matter. Now a few days rest and we go again against Leeds, with hopefully more attacking intent. Three up top, with Neto if he's fit and Podence supporting Jimenez might leave us a little light in midfield, but a fit Neto is such a live-wire that it may not matter.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My game coverage was limited to Mikey Burrows and Sky's three minute highlights so not in a position to comment in detail! Sounded like (and judging by the posts on here) we had an iffy first half without Sa getting too much to do but controlled the second, maybe wasteful with a couple of openings late on.

Great cross from Neves and header from Coady for the goal and a good three points to take into Friday against Leeds

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just watched the highlights on MotD2 on iPlayer; I wasn’t at the match but listened to the commentary and followed the comments on here and I understood that we were not great in the first half (and probably and even first half after we improved for the last 20 mins of it) but completely bossed the second half. Strange. The MOTD highlights show Everton completely dominating the game really. Although, to be fair, Danny Murphy did pick out Neves as being exceptional in the comments afterwards, but the action show just did not match my perception of the match.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just watched the highlights on MotD2 on iPlayer; I wasn’t at the match but listened to the commentary and followed the comments on here and I understood that we were not great in the first half (and probably and even first half after we improved for the last 20 mins of it) but completely bossed the second half. Strange. The MOTD highlights show Everton completely dominating the game really. Although, to be fair, Danny Murphy did pick out Neves as being exceptional in the comments afterwards, but the action show just did not match my perception of the match.
Yeah those highlights were odd. We absolutely dominated the second half. The highlights shown were basically the only time(s) Everton had the ball

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought exactly the same when I watched it last night.
It seemed to suggest that Everton were equal to Wolves.
Never mind, in fact, **** ‘em, three points for us UTW

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tbf we dominated the ball but aside from the goal we didn't even create a chance outside of the Raul volley they showed. Everton had the better of the chances, although for some reason they showed the Richarlison header off the bar that was offside and presented it as a chance.

Not sure if VAR would have ruled it in had he scored or something, it did look tight

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Tbf we dominated the ball but aside from the goal we didn't even create a chance outside of the Raul volley they showed. Everton had the better of the chances, although for some reason they showed the Richarlison header off the bar that was offside and presented it as a chance.

Not sure if VAR would have ruled it in had he scored or something, it did look tight
Think we created quite a few more really good chances that didn't make it into the highlights for some reason. Just a few that spring to mind in the second half- Podence had a couple of chances, including one shot close to the near post, Neves had a really good opportunity just outside the box that he should have buried, right in the centre but hit it straight at the keeper, and Trincao had that shot which just whistled past the crossbar towards the end. For some reason Match of the Day focussed more on Everton's chances and made it look like they had the better of the second half. As you say, they also completely failed to mention that Richarlison's header was offside - the assistant had his flag up straight after it.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Think we created quite a few more really good chances that didn't make it into the highlights for some reason. Just a few that spring to mind in the second half- Podence had a couple of chances, including one shot close to the near post, Neves had a really good opportunity just outside the box that he should have buried, right in the centre but hit it straight at the keeper, and Trincao had that shot which just whistled past the crossbar towards the end. For some reason Match of the Day focussed more on Everton's chances and made it look like they had the better of the second half.
I think the Podence and Neves ones are barely half chances tbh, but Trincao I forgot about yeah he should have buried that. They did show the Podence and Trincao ones tbf, and showed the Neves one afterwards

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose MOTD are going to focus on the goal mouth action and although we dominated the ball we didn't really create too much second half. But it was a bit strange that they showed two efforts by Richarlison that were both flagged offside and the commentary didn't make much of that fact.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I think the Podence and Neves ones are barely half chances tbh, but Trincao I forgot about yeah he should have buried that. They did show the Podence and Trincao ones tbf, and showed the Neves one afterwards
I might be getting my highlights packages mixed up, having seen the club's official version, Sky Sports version and then MotD. I think on MotD they actually included Jonny's attempt that nearly went out for a throw in!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there. Second half was like we were playing a pre season friendly against lower league opposition. They could hardly get near us.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I might be getting my highlights packages mixed up, having seen the club's official version, Sky Sports version and then MotD. I think on MotD they actually included Jonny's attempt that nearly went out for a throw in!
Yeah, it wasn't a brilliant game tbf so they stretched it out. They also showed that Everton players shot from 35 yards that nearly landed in Anfield

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a poor first half but it may have been our game plan all along. Everton have a hostile crowd and their players were up for it. So containment was the first priority. In the second, we more or less controlled the game with some glorious training-like possession play. However, Everton still had one or two chances and had the Richarlison header gone in and not hit the post, it would have been game on with a different outcome. We live on fine margins.
Everyone is aware of our limitations in front of goal and a striker at the top of his game would have put this game to bed earlier. Raul has a presence and is still a handful but his touch and passing was very poor today. His shooting was wayward with none threatening their goalie. I love Raul and he is all Wolves, but his star is fading. It is very obvious and quite sad to see. Maybe, just maybe, he will refind his form and killer instint - and you will find no-one happier than me if that were to happen. But I think in reality a new senior striker is a top priority for next season. Doesnt mean Raul should leave as he still has a lot to offer but the emphasis should not be on him for goals.
The header that hit the post was offside,as were several "chances" they had
Why MOTD portrayed them as actual chances idk
I think the only one was when Sa saved from Richarlison early on
Thought the "highlights" clips were very Everton biased last night
Yes there was very little between the teams first half ,Everton probably edged it, but second half we dominated from start to finish and should have won by more
The MOTD guys are usually pro Wolves but i think they got that wrong last night

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The "let's big up Frank" agenda....

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a poor first half but it may have been our game plan all along. Everton have a hostile crowd and their players were up for it. So containment was the first priority. In the second, we more or less controlled the game with some glorious training-like possession play. However, Everton still had one or two chances and had the Richarlison header gone in and not hit the post, it would have been game on with a different outcome.
Actually not. That Richarlison effort was flagged offside anyway.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think there is any scenario where 8th qualifies for Europe.

7th will if the FA cup winner has already qualified by league position or winning the league cup.
There's one outside chance, 8th might get Europe...

There's a shortfall of teams in UEFA competition next season due to Russia's exclusion. So maybe???

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah those highlights were odd. We absolutely dominated the second half. The highlights shown were basically the only time(s) Everton had the ball
Following one of the reports an Everton fan said they had a good 15minute spell early on but went out of the picture with Wolves dominating most of the rest of the game including a very comfortable last 30minutes. Yet, one short clip on YouTube gives prominence to Everton attacks, mainly involving Richarlison and the goal from Wolves; you were left with the feeling Everton were unlucky.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Yes that was me.

Dendoncker offers pretty much nothing offensively and his ‘sensational positioning’ in a half where we dominated possession was probably not that decisive a factor.

It’s that classic binary position - somebody mentioned his part in the goal for basically a 7 yard pass. He’s average at best but a good squad option.

The reason many posters, myself included, talk about RS as whilst not some sort of panacea, it is what we are absolutely lacking from midfield - athleticism, ball carrying, pace, dynamism and goal threat.

If you can genuinely suggest that LD is a better option than RS, then that is a matter for you, but I think many would suggest otherwise. MGW could work but isn’t box to box/ 2-way - which is what we are missing and have been for a very long time.

Finally, to be clear, I don’t have a hard-on for Sanches. It was from something else.
Exactly the kind of squad member we need here now and in the future. Does what is asked of him and won’t kick up a stink when he’s not in the 11.

Like you said. Not that a decisive factor but I was envisioning MGW in those positions actually offering a spark and threatening for more goals to kill off games. Clearly a far more offensive threat and has also this season displayed the traits you listed that we are lacking from midfield

I did not suggest the Donck is a better option than Sanches. I’ve honestly never seen him play. But why stop at Sanches, let’s get that Ngolo Kante bloke in our squad too he goes alright. We are lacking goals up top. Vlahovic maybe?

Enough being a silly sally. I do understand we were linked with him but the carry-on up until now makes it all seem we are all Fanboys. If he ever does sign great, I look forward to him showing us what he can do in a Wolves shirt.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think there is any scenario where 8th qualifies for Europe.

7th will if the FA cup winner has already qualified by league position or winning the league cup.
There's one outside chance, 8th might get Europe...

There's a shortfall of teams in UEFA competition next season due to Russia's exclusion. So maybe???
Absolutely no chance they give England an 8th. Like none whatsoever
I dunno. There's more international interest in mid level English clubs than their counterparts in any other nation. Money talks.

There's 4 berths potentially up for grabs (it may not even happen). It would be better for international viewer numbers to include the alsorans from England, Italy, Spain, Germany and perhaps Turkey than any other nation.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yes that was me.

Sanches isn't remotely a goal threat, he has never scored more than 4 goals in a season

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the first half was what we were half dreading but the second half was a very good performance from a team that had it drilled into them at HT that the home team was rubbish and there for the taking if we get hold of the ball and dictate.

Great to see.

But having said that about the first half, I said to a mate before that given the current scenario for both teams, and Everton being absolutely desperate, we just need to ride out the first 20-30 mins with no goals and we'll take it from there.

I thought to myself recently that we seem to score a decent portion of goals after Dendoncker recovers a ball down the line, keeps the ball in play and then we move it around and score. Did it again yesterday. Did it for both our goals at Brentford.

Leicester game recently he kept a ball in play with a header we wouldn't have won otherwise, which Neves then scored from. Got an actual assist in that game too.

Had a part to play in Raul's opener at Spurs, then scored the second himself.

Good player to have in the squad. Yes he could be better but who couldn't. Not everybody can be as elegant as Ruben on the ball. Dendoncker is a crucial part of our squad.

Saiss was our major problem earlier this season, before that it was Semedo, now it's Dendoncker and in a couple of months it'll be somebody else...

Anyway, back to the game, very pleased. Neves was outstanding, Moutinho and Jonny were very, very good, everybody else played well too.

Two important results after a poor couple of weeks.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the first half was what we were half dreading but the second half was a very good performance from a team that had it drilled into them at HT that the home team was rubbish and there for the taking if we get hold of the ball and dictate.

Great to see.

I thought to myself recently that we seem to score a decent portion of goals after Dendoncker recovers a ball down the line, keeps the ball in play and then we score. Did it again yesterday. Did it for both our goals at Brentford.

Leicester game recently he kept a ball in play with a header we wouldn't have won otherwise. Got an actual assist in that game too.

Had a part to play in Raul's opener at Spurs, then scored the second himself.

Good player to have in the squad. Yes he could be better but who couldn't. Not everybody can be as elegant as Ruben on the ball. Dendoncker is a crucial part of our squad.

Saiss was our major problem earlier this season, before that it was Semedo, now it's Dendoncker and in a couple of months it'll be somebody else...

Anyway, back to the game, very pleased. Neves was outstanding, Moutinho and Jonny were very, very good, everybody else played well too.

Two important results after a poor couple of weeks.
I noticed that yesterday
I think he's been actively involved in the majority of the goals in the past 6/7 games he's played.

It may be happenstance but it also shows he's not as ****less as can be suggested !

I just wish he has more self belief. I made the observation yesterday that he's the anti-Podence. He'll never take the difficult option, always recycling possession and letting someone else carry the responsibility.

Obviously, there is a place for water carrier type players in football and that doesn't necessarily mean he's not important, but it does get somewhat frustrating to watch.

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
Absolutely no chance they give England an 8th. Like none whatsoever
It would only happen if an English side won the Champions league and didn't qualify for it any other way.

eg. It would take Chelsea to finish 8th and to win the Champions League for this to happen afaik.

Back
Top Bottom