Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Hard to tell until the figures are broken down. They have spent a lot on their new stadium, and such capital spend is discounted from the PSR calculations. I see the BBC are reporting they made a 47m profit on player trading so the PSR figure may not be that bad.
Capital expenditure on the new stadium won’t be included in the losses as presumably it will be capitalised

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Everton really should be taking any points deduction on the chin. They’ve wilfully overspent for 6 years in a row now. They are openly disregarding the rules and should be dealt with using the harshest of penalties.
Agree.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they manage to keep avoiding relegation until they finally get a big takeover, they will have been very, very lucky indeed I’d have said? Even their own fans are starting to realise they could well be in serious trouble here. There is talk of them going out of business entirely if relegated, which given they haven’t won in 12 and are only 3 pts clear of relegation with another deduction on the way, looks absolutely possible? They’ve been run appallingly.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton really should be taking any points deduction on the chin. They’ve wilfully overspent for 6 years in a row now. They are openly disregarding the rules and should be dealt with using the harshest of penalties.
They’ll wait till next year now. Pin their hopes that both clubs stay up and the give Everton , Forest and Leicester a six point deduction in August
These authorities are too lily livered to give out proper punishments

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ll wait till next year now. Pin their hopes that both clubs stay up and the give Everton , Forest and Leicester a six point deduction in August
From what some are suggesting, Everton are in deep financial trouble if relegated. Administration being quite a serious possibility? Their losses over the past 5/6 years are absolutely insane, as is their wage bill. It made me wonder whether this upcoming points deduction might be less severe than some expect? Or like you say, deferred in some way? What a complete and utter mess. I’m no great fan of these financial rules, but the way some clubs have been ran, us included to a lesser extent, has been pretty comical?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 777 doesn’t get approved they will hit admin probably after the season. Points off will have to be following season again. Bit of a joke really.

I hope we roll over for Luton it would serve them and forest right to face some consequences
I was reading that their wage bill is 92% of turnover, which given they are utterly crap, are building a new ground and haemorrhaging money all over the place is bonkers. Not sure how their fans have convinced themselves there is some big grand conspiracy against them. I expect they will be treated relatively kindly and ultimately saved from themselves tbh? Pretty bleak reading.

‘The new figures surround a financial year that started with the spending of the summer of then manager Frank Lampard and current director of football Kevin Thelwell. The club committed to fees for players including Amadou Onana, Dwight McNeil, Idrissa Gueye, James Garner and Neal Maupay, though sold Anthony Gordon for around £40m in the following January. In the profit and sustainability hearing over Everton’s accounts for the years up to 2022, the Premier League expressed concern over the club’s spending during this summer and arguments over the matter will have been the subject of last week’s hearing.

The latest figures show Everton’s position worsening on the previous year, which may undermine any attempt to argue the club’s finances were following a long term positive trend, a position put forward by the club in its first hearing.‘

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was reading that their wage bill is 92% of turnover, which given they are utterly crap, are building a new ground and haemorrhaging money all over the place is bonkers. Not sure how their fans have convinced themselves there is some big grand conspiracy against them. I expect they will be treated relatively kindly and ultimately saved from themselves tbh?
They used the new stadium as a defence and appeal against the points deduction because it offers more money to the local economy Wtf has that got to do with football? Time to accept its corrupt to the core and they will want them to stay up. No matter what. Yet with Portsmouth they couldn’t wait to relegate them. Bias or what

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just been on the grand old team forum and the Everton fans are still blaming the Premier league.

Will the mayor and Everton fans finally admit that they should be punished for running at a loss of 255 million over three years?

JadeWolf

Reaction score
They used the new stadium as a defence and appeal against the points deduction because it offers more money to the local economy Wtf has that got to do with football? Time to accept its corrupt to the core and they will want them to stay up. No matter what. Yet with Portsmouth they couldn’t wait to relegate them. Bias or what
Clutching at straws I think. At the end of the day they’ve wasted hundreds of millions on bang average players, appointed some poor managers and paid ridiculous wages. Stadium or not it’s no way to run a football club.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just been on the grand old team forum and the Everton fans are still blaming the Premier league.

Will the mayor and Everton fans finally admit that they should be punished for running at a loss of 255 million over three years?
How can they blame the PL?? They broke the rules! Not by few mill either considerably over the threshold with no regard for the rules

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeah that bloody Premier League!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 168

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm not all over the details of this, but I was listening to someone at the weekend who said that they've basically run out of money. The only way they can afford to pay anyone is by using loans from 777. So confused what 777 are playing at, trying to keep them in the PL for their own long term ambitions, or else they are effectively putting themselves in prime position to take over from the administrator? Is there any chance of servicing that debt on a Championship income?

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how my memory tells me they were exactly the same with Portsmouth. Waited and waited til there was no alternative.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 777 doesn’t get approved they will hit admin probably after the season. Points off will have to be following season again. Bit of a joke really.

I hope we roll over for Luton it would serve them and forest right to face some consequences

I never want to see wolves lose a game……

But if losing to Luton and that then being the difference that sends everton down is a rare loss I will celebrate with a few beers!!!!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article yesterday that Chelsea are going to sell James and Gallagher so they don’t fall foul of PSR…I doubt those two will raise £680m between them.
They may struggle to get a decent for James as he’s a permacrock

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
The problem here is the Independent Comission. The PL are giving the points deductions but the IC are down grading them, PL wanted 8 points for Forest but IC gave them 4.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They can’t. The latest period they’ve failed is under the fast track regime agreed by PL clubs last summer. The punishment has to happen this season.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
IMG_6149.jpeg

So the maximum allowed loss over three years is £105m, they’ve lost £255m. So even if they stay up this season, to avoid more points deductions next season they’ll need to make a profit of about £100m this season. Ain’t happening.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but The Price of Football podcast hosted by Kevin Day & Kieran Maguire (the football finance expert) is worth a listen.

Maguire is pretty much the go to guy and is all over the Forest, Everton and Leicester problems.

From what I’ve learnt listening to this is Everton’s troubles are a lot deeper than any Everton fan would like to admit to.

The 777 takeover is hanging by a thread and in his opinion will get knocked back because they are not a safe pair of hands. To make matters worse for Everton, 777 have loaded the club with debt in the form of loans to help pay for this new stadium. If 777 do get knocked back, they will want their cash back they’ve already invested. There are also big questions as to where 777 have got this cash from.

Administration is a real possibility!

According to Maguire, Everton should find out this week if they’re getting another points deduction.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just scanning through this breakdown of their accounts, and they are an absolute basket case. As Maguire notes, there are a couple of statements at the end of the accounts which acknowledges there is a material uncertainty over their ability to continue trading.

What's going to happen to their revenue to make things okay there? Good heavens, that's bleak.

That's an old business going under. Sorry to Toffees fans, honestly. Don't like to see a club disappear...but that's what's going to happen methinks.

bully9

Reaction score
What's going to happen to their revenue to make things okay there? Good heavens, that's bleak.

That's an old business going under. Sorry to Toffees fans, honestly. Don't like to see a club disappear...but that's what's going to happen methinks. They will go bankrupt, change of owners start again with a clean sheet , isn’t that what Leicester did

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's an old business going under. Sorry to Toffees fans, honestly. Don't like to see a club disappear...but that's what's going to happen methinks.

Their hope appears to be to get a wealthy backer to finance their new stadium and then hope that stadium gives them a significant uplift in revenue.

If pay for their stadium using commercial loans, which they have failed to secure so far, then they will have to pay interest on the loans, which will absorb most of the additional revenue. The trouble with 777 is that they don’t have deep pockets, and instead rely on debt finance. So even if that takeover goes through, Everton look financially crippled for the foreseeable future.

If they go down, their revenue will drop around 100m a year, leaving them even further under water. If the 777 takeover is rejected, then relegation could easily trigger debtors calling in their debts and forcing them into administration and an immediate points deduction to start life in the Champ.

If they don’t secure a new buyer, such as if the PL rejects 777, then they will almost certainly enter administration sooner or later, even if they stay up. Their existing owner simply doesn’t have the funds himself to cover their operating losses and has been relying on cash injections from 777.

In short, it looks dire unless some wealthy buyer steps in, finishes their stadium, and wipes their debts clean. Not impossible, but nothing like that has surfaced to date.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but The Price of Football podcast hosted by Kevin Day & Kieran Maguire (the football finance expert) is worth a listen.

Maguire is pretty much the go to guy and is all over the Forest, Everton and Leicester problems.

From what I’ve learnt listening to this is Everton’s troubles are a lot deeper than any Everton fan would like to admit to.

The 777 takeover is hanging by a thread and in his opinion will get knocked back because they are not a safe pair of hands. To make matters worse for Everton, 777 have loaded the club with debt in the form of loans to help pay for this new stadium. If 777 do get knocked back, they will want their cash back they’ve already invested. There are also big questions as to where 777 have got this cash from.

Administration is a real possibility!

According to Maguire, Everton should find out this week if they’re getting another points deduction.

777 groups purchase cannot go through!!!!!

They have been late on payments to the British Basketball League on payments that are minuscule in comparison to what is needed to operate a football club!!!

If that isn’t a warning sign I don’t know what is

Back
Top Bottom