Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no chance of a points deduction. The powers that be would be too scared of legal action. They’ll get a fine and a warning
Big deal
Other clubs have had points deductions for various misdemeanours (not FFP) some of which were substantial. Time to do the same for FFP or just drop it altogether.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
£371.8m loss over 3 years according to the guardian when only £105m is allowed. How can the FA not act?
We have made such an explicit point of complying that we could sue (with others) if we go down, maybe even regardless. This prospect will hopefully make the league finally act to all but relegate its grand old team, God knows they have hung on long enough.
Just to save you reading the thread again, these are losses, not necessarily FFP losses, stadium costs don't count, also the key point is that they have claimed a write off £120m as covid related losses. The last one is the key thing, but the PL were supposed to be monitoring them closely, although the fact that they've charged them must therefore presumably mean they are all over the finances and feel there's a breach. It's only really the scale of the breach and the level of punishment that is unknown. A financial one will be much less likely to lead to any sort of legal claim by other clubs and will make it all go away I reckon, that's the cop out option.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drop FFP and drop the transfer window let’s make it more entertaining like the old days
Abolishing FFP in the year where we shed £150m of players to comply with FFP, and opening the financial flood gates just as our owners decide they have no money to invest, would definitely be the most Wolvesy thing for a while.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Abolishing FFP in the year where we shed £150m of players to comply with FFP, and opening the financial flood gates just as our owners decide they have no money to invest, would definitely be the most Wolvesy thing for a while.
It will never happen you would have too many teams throwing cash about. Get rid of FFP and just bring in spending caps 100m per season per club. Go above it you get deducted 3pts for every million over spent simple and effective rules year on year, none of this 3 year rule rubbish

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to save you reading the thread again, these are losses, not necessarily FFP losses, stadium costs don't count, also the key point is that they have claimed a write off £120m as covid related losses. The last one is the key thing, but the PL were supposed to be monitoring them closely, although the fact that they've charged them must therefore presumably mean they are all over the finances and feel there's a breach. It's only really the scale of the breach and the level of punishment that is unknown. A financial one will be much less likely to lead to any sort of legal claim by other clubs and will make it all go away I reckon, that's the cop out option.
Thanks for that info, you are right I hadn't read it all.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will never happen you would have too many teams throwing cash about. Get rid of FFP and just bring in spending caps 100m per season per club. Go above it you get deducted 3pts for every million over spent simple and effective rules year on year, none of this 3 year rule rubbish

Think there should still be some allowance for the first season for newly promoted teams to spend more than established clubs, so that they can compete. Would also increase the cap for those who qualify for Europe, both as an incentive and recognising that the extra competition puts a greater strain on the squad.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Looks like 777 Partners are going to acquire Everton. Not sure they are the best owners to have.
Sounds like proper frying pan and fire stuff. The directors may have their revenge on the fans who (allegedly) threatened them!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't dislike Everton but the way the PL has acted on this is embarrassing. I mean they were only forced to act when the other clubs took it to court.
Dragging it out for years hoping people forget and move on.
Whichever way they go with this they will be facing some kind of legal action. I'd imagine they're weighing up the most winnable battle and going for that option.

Let's face it, if what was in Shi's letter wasn't complete and utter bullocks then we have completely hamstrung ourselves on the fear that we will get a points deduction. I don't see how it is fair that clubs who blatantly ignore the rules get no actual meaningful punishment.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton fans aren't worried, they don't think any point deductions are coming. They believe the PL have to charge Man City before them. And apparently the PL have signed off on every transaction Everton have made over the last few seasons.. They had some independent consultant running everything by the PL to ok every purchase or sale Everton have made. There's a PL signature on every transaction.

This is only what an Everton fan relative tells me, no idea how true.
It is true they’ve been working closely with the PL to try and comply as best they can whilst the investigation is going on but it’s been reported a couple of times they’ve signed players in spite of the PL recommendation being a no.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like 777 Partners are going to acquire Everton. Not sure they are the best owners to have.
Not quite sure how they’ll pass the “strengthened” ownership tests.

As a company they’ve got a number of questionable claims against them to say the least and I’m not entirely sure their co founder would even get a visiting visa here!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You just know that somehow Everton will get away with it. It'll all just be endlessly postponed, kicked into the long grass, glossed over, looked the other way over, until enough time has passed...and it' s forgotten about with a light rap over the knuckles, a derisory fine, and a warning not to do it again, and the usual meaningless mantra about "lessons being learnt". A parable for about how this country is totally ****ed, and run by chancers and crooks. Just the football version of it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton will get away with it so will Man City big fines probably say 50/100m points taken off them would be nice but just can’t see it

PL did everything to keep Everton up played until they scored at Molineux total joke hate them

When villa stayed up it was the same PL VAR just stopped working oh yeah another sliding doors moment for them
VAR didn’t keep villa up, goal line technology did

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interested to see how this goes as wasn't it supposed to be October the outcome will be known ?

See other clubs like Chelsea splashing the cash even Villa so why are these clubs not affected but we are ? Yes they might have bigger stadiums and slightly different sponsorship and commercials . But really does it get huge revenue compared to us for what they spend compared to us ?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interested to see how this goes as wasn't it supposed to be October the outcome will be known ?

See other clubs like Chelsea splashing the cash even Villa so why are these clubs not affected but we are ? Yes they might have bigger stadiums and slightly different sponsorship and commercials . But really does it get huge revenue compared to us for what they spend compared to us ?
Over a rolling 3 year period both have sold enough to keep FFP happy for now, next summer both will have to do some book balancing like we have this year.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Over a rolling 3 year period both have sold enough to keep FFP happy for now, next summer both will have to do some book balancing like we have this year.
Arsenals transfer deficit over the last 5 years is over half a billion pounds, they must have really good sponsors.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Not quite sure how they’ll pass the “strengthened” ownership tests.

As a company they’ve got a number of questionable claims against them to say the least and I’m not entirely sure their co founder would even get a visiting visa here!
I know there's some pretty dodgy stuff, although not all the details. Is any of it worse than killing and sawing up a journalist?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenals transfer deficit over the last 5 years is over half a billion pounds, they must have really good sponsors.
It really doesn’t work like that. How FFP works is there to be seen, I’m not giving anyone a lesson on it.

My own personal view is that up to the Saudi league going insane that Everton were in a position to get the book thrown at them as a scapegoat for most clubs just ignoring it (in there case a blatant disregard for it) and would be used as a warning to other clubs to get their houses in order. However with Saudi going crazy the EPL won’t want to start losing the big stars to that league so they’ll bend over a little bit now.

Whilst we’re in the position we are, I still think FFP is the right way but much like game rules and VAR, they simply aren’t used properly.

FFP used properly should a) level the playing field and b) more importantly stop clubs jeopardising their future but as we all know the FA and EPL are both either a toothless tiger at best or corrupt/not fit for purpose at worse.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine that the club and PL hope it will be dragged out long enough so that hopefully by May Everton are 4 points clear of relegation whereupon they will be given a 3 point deduction as their punishment. Saves face for everyone.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine that the club and PL hope it will be dragged out long enough so that hopefully by May Everton are 4 points clear of relegation whereupon they will be given a 3 point deduction as their punishment. Saves face for everyone.
You wouldn't bet against that. I assume that "the club" in your first sentence is Everton. We doubtless want them to have a 10+ point penalty lol.....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really doesn’t work like that. How FFP works is there to be seen, I’m not giving anyone a lesson on it.

My own personal view is that up to the Saudi league going insane that Everton were in a position to get the book thrown at them as a scapegoat for most clubs just ignoring it (in there case a blatant disregard for it) and would be used as a warning to other clubs to get their houses in order. However with Saudi going crazy the EPL won’t want to start losing the big stars to that league so they’ll bend over a little bit now.

Whilst we’re in the position we are, I still think FFP is the right way but much like game rules and VAR, they simply aren’t used properly.

FFP used properly should a) level the playing field and b) more importantly stop clubs jeopardising their future but as we all know the FA and EPL are both either a toothless tiger at best or corrupt/not fit for purpose at worse.

FFP in theory helps to stop clubs from getting into too much debt, but it doesn’t level the playing field beyond stopping a rich owner from just throwing money at winning silverware. Since clubs do not start from a level playing field, it has the effect of preserving the status quo because those with larger revenues already, can spend more, and that in turn, gives them more chance of sustaining their advantage.

FFP needs to be accompanied by other measures if we want a more level playing field.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I thought the same as you on this.

But I think there is an alternative view.

The EPL can't go toe to toe in a financial battle with Saudi - they'll lose.

Uefa the same.

So they need to ensure that the financial constraints (aka FFP or profit and sustainability or whatever it's all called these days) are in place as much as ever in competitions that the Saudi's will want to gate crash, to fend off the Saudi financial clout.

So who knows - the Saudi involvement could work for Everton as you say, but perhaps it could work against them?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the same as you on this.

But I think there is an alternative view.

The EPL can't go toe to toe in a financial battle with Saudi - they'll lose.

Uefa the same.

So they need to ensure that the financial constraints (aka FFP or profit and sustainability or whatever it's all called these days) are in place as much as ever in competitions that the Saudi's will want to gate crash, to fend off the Saudi financial clout.

So who knows - the Saudi involvement could work for Everton as you say, but perhaps it could work against them?
The Saudi league has definitely muddied the water. The EPL is the premium “product” in football and that’s because on the whole the league has the best players. So far the Saudi league generally has attracted those at the end of their careers but should the EPL start imposing FFP properly and by that wages will have to fall then the better players will up sticks and dilute the league. It’s what happened in the early 90s in Italy and their leagues never really recovered.

Of course the biggest governing body in FIFA could and should do something about it but as we all know corruption runs to their very core and they’ve been in bed with the oil nations for a while now.

Personally I think our great game needs some kind of shake up, almost a reset because the sport element is vastly outweighed by the financial side it’s the proverbial tail wagging the dog. What the likes of Barcelona, United, Chelsea, City have done needs addressing but I wouldn’t trust FIFA to run a bath let alone the biggest world sport

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They owe the BBL a small chunk of change….. I know lads there and they aren’t happy about the late payment! Now they are even more frustrated as they were late on that but have the money to deal with Everton…..

This lot are already showing they have issues meeting financial obligations in the UK with a sporting organisation, so how has this deal progressed to this point???

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFP in theory helps to stop clubs from getting into too much debt, but it doesn’t level the playing field beyond stopping a rich owner from just throwing money at winning silverware. Since clubs do not start from a level playing field, it has the effect of preserving the status quo because those with larger revenues already, can spend more, and that in turn, gives them more chance of sustaining their advantage.

FFP needs to be accompanied by other measures if we want a more level playing field.
Spot on. Other than the odd 2 year challenge by a club it’s keeping the biggest clubs at the top of the table.

There needs to be some more leeway in terms of rich owners being able to spend proportionate certain amounts of their wealth - it’s their money after all.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. Other than the odd 2 year challenge by a club it’s keeping the biggest clubs at the top of the table.

There needs to be some more leeway in terms of rich owners being able to spend proportionate certain amounts of their wealth - it’s their money after all.
But doesn't that also stifle competition? It maybe gives a couple of the current top six and Newcastle an advantage over some of the others, but it doesn't do anything to allow for the rest of the league to compete. Under a regime like this you consign Wolves to be forever relegation candidates, because, fantasy aside, we are never going to be in a position to outspend the big clubs. We currently have a rigged market. A compete free market is an even worse prospect for football in the UK and certainly for clubs like Wolves.

Last edited:

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

FFP is precisely designed to keep things as they are and prevent another Man City. Newcastle may be able to skirt this via sponsors keen to gain favour with Saudi Arabia but for everyone else it's very hard to occasionally overcome the financial disadvantages and probably impossible to do consistently.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How would FFP level the playing field (if used properly)?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By stopping clubs overspending. It’s only part of the problem of course, the main problem is the distribution of the TV money. That needs revamping considerably. It makes no sense that the club that the higher you finish the more you get as in essence it just keeps the rich clubs earning more. It should be reversed in the winners get the most and filter it down to the bottom gets most. A bit like the draft system in US sports.

The major problem is that big decisions in the EPL are on a vote system and if the above scenario was brought to the table it would be voted out as it’d be like turkeys voting for Christmas

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I'm not proposing this as what should be done, but if you actually want a level playing field where smaller clubs have the chance to win the league, then the only FFP system that could work would be a total salary cap. That's totally against the whole model of the EPL though.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not proposing this as what should be done, but if you actually want a level playing field where smaller clubs have the chance to win the league, then the only FFP system that could work would be a total salary cap. That's totally against the whole model of the EPL though.
And now you have Saudi Arabia waiting in the wings just waiting for the first sniff of that. If the EPL tried it they would pretty soon lose all the top talent.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think our great game needs some kind of shake up, almost a reset because the sport element is vastly outweighed by the financial side it’s the proverbial tail wagging the dog. What the likes of Barcelona, United, Chelsea, City have done needs addressing but I wouldn’t trust FIFA to run a bath let alone the biggest world sport
I wasn’t all that bothered about the super league that was proposed. Quite happy for those teams to do it BUT they then left our league.

Imagine predicting the premier league winners with those 6 gone. Far more competitive and interesting

Back
Top Bottom