Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Super League

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the positive side, the ruling is a clear shot across UEFA and FIFA bows that they cannot control European football with impunity.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bayern, Sevilla, Manure and Atleti all reject it.

Expect to see more clubs come out with rejection statements.
We all looking forward to Seeing Barca vs Partizan Belgrade and Levski Sofia!?

All I’m seeing on TV about this is that it’s being pushed by Real and Barca. Trying to make everyone suffer because they’ve spaffed billions between them and they still earn less in TV revenue than Bournemouth

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t see how on one hand FFP isn’t restraint of trade and on the other hand UEFA blocking a super league is a restraint of trade
My thought too. I do wonder if the likes of Barca will use it as leverage to stay in the uefa competitions.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do no teams from the gold league get relegated? Have Barcelona rigged it so they never drop out of the whole competition?
I understood it would be one league only, so obviously no promotion and no relegation, with the same teams playing each other season after season.

How exciting!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it will happen and ironically the Saudi Pro League is possibly great news for the European Super League. Some will no doubt now claim that the European Super League needs to happen to ensure the best players remain playing in Europe.
I still think they'll have Europa League type problems with the proposed third tier, as I'm assuming they'll be played on a less optimum midweek time to prevent clashing with tier one?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
another league on top of the fifa club world cup and champions league new format will literally mean players are flogged , squads wont be big enough and it will water down other competitions, basically reducing the quality.

Its stupid it really is, if klopp and guardiola are moaning about schedules now, imagine...
When Klopp, pep etc moan about fixture congestion and scheduling what they really mean is there are too many matches against the likes of Bournemouth and Luton, League cup and FA Cup and not enough against Real Madrid or tours to the far east or USA

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barca and Real Madrid Presidents rubbing their hands with glee on the Spanish news.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the positive side, the ruling is a clear shot across UEFA and FIFA bows that they cannot control European football with impunity.
Yup. Bosman obviously didn't penetrate. Perhaps this will. Football is not superior to legal structures.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May as well merge the Scottish & English leagues and wave goodbye to 10 top ten clubs in the premier league?!

They can’t have their cake and eat it

All this is getting around FFP. The gap would be even bigger for other clubs.

Game over if you ask me. Lose the other fans you’ve lost your product. Playing the same team every year 3/4 times would actually be like the SPL the novelty will soon wear off.

So Super league tax on player value increases by 1000% for those clubs if it’s allowed

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We all looking forward to Seeing Barca vs Partizan Belgrade and Levski Sofia!?

All I’m seeing on TV about this is that it’s being pushed by Real and Barca. Trying to make everyone suffer because they’ve spaffed billions between them and they still earn less in TV revenue than Bournemouth
Yep. I think it was Gary Neville said after the original Super league plans, how can the premier league clubs be conned into leave the richest league in the world to join the ESL. The big Euro teams can't keep up the same revenue as the premier league clubs. Creating their own league with the big premier league clubs means the revenue would be relatively even, and they wouldn't be left behind.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it is inevitable this type of League will happen, with the increase in American owners over the last few years and saudi buying everything they can id expect they'll look at something jointly,

Americans don't have the same loyalty to teams like we do, a "franchise" can be moved to citys the other side of the country and still attract new fans in the area, British clubs are rooted to the area they are formed and are the identity of the area.

a high percentage of Wolves fan base would've been born/grew up or have ancestral connections to the Midlands, Stafford, shropshire or near by areas but it cannot be said for the likes of United/Liverpool/Chelsea most of the fans they have are international/never go to any games.

I would love to know the Saudi viewing figures for there super league type competition, despite having the likes of Ronaldo, Benezema and other big name players the attendances are shocking I bet the viewing figures are aswell.

I don't think it will work but I expect something to happen with it in the future but maybe as a replacement for champions league.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Yep. I think it was Gary Neville said after the original Super league plans, how can the premier league clubs be conned into leave the richest league in the world to join the ESL. The big Euro teams can't keep up the same revenue as the premier league clubs. Creating their own league with the big premier league clubs means the revenue would be relatively even, and they wouldn't be left behind.

Gary Neville has a complete conflict of interest in this matter - given his involvement with Salford - a team looking to climb the leagues - and a lucrative contract with Sky Sports. It's in his interests for the status quo to remain.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its not to replace the prem but to replace champs league a separate entity alongside domestic

But as seen with about 10 clubs rejecting any idea there wont be any changes soon
I've not followed any of this ****. But when would this competition take place as our top sides programme is already maxed out - the league, Europe, 2x cups + City in that world thing at the moment? **** me, lets just play football 12 months of the year, 7 days a week and the top teams can have squads of about 40?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we create a rival conference super league competition?

With the other clubs that don’t participate in the new idea. It’s just another way to generate income isn’t it.

To be fair if you take 5 teams that finish below 5th in European leagues then 7-12 in the PL

60 clubs league style format. Games played every Wednesday 6pm. All tickets £20 sorry have I just spoke too much sense

Extra 120 games per season. Good way of blooding younger players

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not followed any of this ****. But when would this competition take place as our top sides programme is already maxed out - the league, Europe, 2x cups + City in that world thing at the moment? **** me, lets just play football 12 months of the year, 7 days a week and the top teams can have squads of about 40?
Its to be played in the midweek, ie like i said it would be instead of champs league/european games

Youd pull out of champs league (uefa europe etc) and play esl

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its to be played in the midweek, ie like i said it would be instead of champs league/european games

At least one good thing our about our current level of ambition is that this wouldn't effect us at all then..

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love how they bang on about sporting merit... but looking at it, if we won the league this season we'd end up in the equivalent of the Conference League? While Man Utd could finish 17th and stay in the equivalent of the Champions League?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love how they bang on about sporting merit... but looking at it, if we won the league this season we'd end up in the equivalent of the Conference League? While Man Utd could finish 17th and stay in the equivalent of the Champions League?
Yet we was the founders of European football!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Apologies Northampton but as I said in my earlier post I haven't followed this and tbh because it doesn't affect Wolves I don't really give a **** about it tbh. Just another competition for the rich clubs to get ****ing richer and stuff the rest.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing that baffles me is they mentioned low viewing figures/ interest in the opening rounds of the CL and only the big clubs/latter stages get decent viewing figures /interest.

Yet they have decided to have a 2nd and 3rd "league". Surely these two are just to pacify those wanting and promotion/relegation format. I am betting the viewing figures for anything but the Gold league will be non existent

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have Wolves made a public statement ruling themselves out ?
Chinese will always follow the money

We made it clear last time as a club we are against it and want to protect the integrity of the game

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Free to air is interesting, I guess as that's one of the selling points to get people to watch, and then once there's a decent viewebase it's subscription time.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please Santa, all I want for Christmas is Villa to leave and join the ESL. They have been ever so good boys since 1981.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let whoever wants to bugger off do so. I think it would long term improve the enjoyment. At the moment there is very little if you are not SKY SIX.
Yeah but you win anything domestically and the press will just say its because the top six weren't involved in the competition .
You win the league ......it'll be like winning the Championship.........no one is really bothered about it .
Time for Joe Public in this country to rise again like they did 2 years ago . Fair play to Chelsea and Man U fans et al for demonstrating against it .

I

roystonwolf

Reaction score
I'd actually love it if the PL clubs used this as an opportunity to kick FIFA up the backside (e.g. collectively threaten to join the league if VAR isn't dropped/significantly reformed). I can't see it happening though due to the reputational impact of being associated with the competition.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but you win anything domestically and the press will just say its because the top six weren't involved in the competition .
You win the league ......it'll be like winning the Championship.........no one is really bothered about it .
Time for Joe Public in this country to rise again like they did 2 years ago . Fair play to Chelsea and Man U fans et al for demonstrating against it .

I
I do wonder if it will proceed if ALL the Prem clubs said they will not take part? What's the point of a European football tournament if clubs from the best league are not represented?

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I do wonder if it will proceed if ALL the Prem clubs said they will not take part? What's the point of a European football tournament if clubs from the best league are not represented?
The Bundesliga teams have also turned their back on it, as have PSG. I suppose you could make a half decent league out of the rest if you wanted to, but I won’t be watching it. But I doubt they have me in mind anyway, it’ll be targeted towards a worldwide market and no doubt have matches taking place in New York, Shanghai or Riyadh.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Bundesliga teams have also turned their back on it, as have PSG. I suppose you could make a half decent league out of the rest if you wanted to, but I won’t be watching it. But I doubt they have me in mind anyway, it’ll be targeted towards a worldwide market and no doubt have matches taking place in New York, Shanghai or Riyadh.
Interesting who is funding it. If it's the Saudis how long before they want their top teams involved.

Back
Top Bottom