Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Updated rankings as of this morning

Link
Does this more or less mean that 8th = conference league?

"He's Gary, Gary, taking us to Europe, that's the way we like it......"

*Still think we'll finish below Chelsea and 1 of Brighton, Newcastle or West Ham.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While it may benefit us and i will certainly love it if wolves get any european football and will forgo this moan but.... looking with a complete neutral head, 8 teams is a bit ridiculous. nearly half the clubs in your top league play in europe lol
With an expanded CL and a new UEFA competition, the teams have to come from somewhere...

A reward for the best performing associations seems fair and has to be better than the opposite, which would mean extra teams from the likes of San Marino and Lichtenstein.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does this more or less mean that 8th = conference league?

"He's Gary, Gary, taking us to Europe, that's the way we like it......"

*Still think we'll finish below Chelsea and 1 of Brighton, Newcastle or West Ham.
The PL is definitely in the conversation with regards an extra CL place...

As it stands though, Italy and Germany have the points in the board...

If Bayern Munich beat Arsenal and with stiff competition from Leverkusen for Liverpool in the EL it's not a formality.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With an expanded CL and a new UEFA competition, the teams have to come from somewhere...

A reward for the best performing associations seems fair and has to be better than the opposite, which would mean extra teams from the likes of San Marino and Lichtenstein.
Agree that you want to keep standards but dont think it would hurt with more equal distribution. Heard today that if english teams win the european competitions (which they are favourites in all of them) then there is the chance 11 teams qualify for Europe. That is quite frankly ridiculous considering some nations are lucky to get one.
I think the conference league is a good thing but the idea was to get more unusual teams into europe not 10 from the same league lol

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree that you want to keep standards but dont think it would hurt with more equal distribution. Heard today that if english teams win the european competitions (which they are favourites in all of them) then there is the chance 11 teams qualify for Europe. That is quite frankly ridiculous considering some nations are lucky to get one.
I think the conference league is a good thing but the idea was to get more unusual teams into europe not 10 from the same league lol
I tend to agree. It would be nice to see more sides from around the smaller European leagues but against that we saw what Liverpool did to Sparta Prague the other night. I seem to remember Sparta Prague were quite a big side back in day?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is fair enough, potentially 11 is crazy. But 7-8th place in the premier league is harder to get than 3rd-4th in many other European leagues.
The 5th spot, which has to be earned, seems a fair reflection of that.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The extra CL places don't affect the Conference, there will be one team from England no matter.

For eleven teams to qualify we'd need the 5th CL place and all European trophy winners to finish outside the top 8.

The same scenario applies to the Italian, German and Spanish leagues. It's not the massive favour you're implying it is.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Which is fair enough, potentially 11 is crazy. But 7-8th place in the premier league is harder to get than 3rd-4th in many other European leagues.
The 5th spot, which has to be earned, seems a fair reflection of that.
I guess the point is are these leagues ever going to improve by concentrating the wealth further? The reason a lot of leagues in europe are monopolies is due to one club finishing first every year and getting the european money that others do not and the gap widens. More and more you see the same teams winning with the gap widening further. The europa league and conference league was created to forgo this gap but richer countries have hoovered up the spots.
Also hard to argue with the quality of the comp. Look at the europa league QF. Last year - liverpool 5th, milan 4th, roma 6th, benfica winners, marseille 3rd.
It needed less not more. its already bloated. 5 in a 'champions' league feels excessive. next season the europe comps are gonna be a joke.

PS. If wolves qualify this is all moot, i retract, and long live UEFA!! happy to be hypocritical in this opinion

Back
Top Bottom