Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
GON and his team have done wonders. The backup from Fosun (for whatever reasons) has been very poor.
He hasn't yet been given one first team player and we have very few options after the first 11. Selling players in January and not replacing them was very tough.
Loaning Sasa, a guy who wasn't fit and broke down as soon as he was used in earnest because his body is what it is....

And Fabio Silva, who isn't a Premier League striker at the moment and may never be.

And cancelling Jonny's contract because he wasn't a Premier League player anymore and had been disruptive.

Agree the team are short, but they would be anyway. The problem is so much of the team's budget has been allocated to players who can't play for the team for one reason or another (Guedes, Silva, Sasa).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loaning Sasa, a guy who wasn't fit and broke down as soon as he was used in earnest because his body is what it is....

And Fabio Silva, who isn't a Premier League striker at the moment and may never be.

And cancelling Jonny's contract because he wasn't a Premier League player anymore and had been disruptive.

Agree the team are short, but they would be anyway. The problem is so much of the team's budget has been allocated to players who can't play for the team for one reason or another (Guedes, Silva, Sasa).
Sorry to go a bit OT but what is the situation with Podence? Is he loaned out too and with an option or obligation to buy or will he come back in the summer?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry to go a bit OT but what is the situation with Podence? Is he loaned out too and with an option or obligation to buy or will he come back in the summer?

Sounds like a dry loan and then hopefully sell him this summer. 10 goals and 14 g+a so far this season isn't shabby...hopefully the club can get something for him.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think all three could have been useful right now. Whatever cover they could provide is better cover than none. If its just one or two games they play so that Hwang isn't forced to play when he is carrying an injury that will do.
I would rather Fabio played upfront than bellegarde.
I look at Hwang and Neto towards the end against Sheffield united and I worry about how either are going to last the fixtures over the next couple of months.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think all three could have been useful right now. Whatever cover they could provide is better cover than none. If its just one or two games they play so that Hwang isn't forced to play when he is carrying an injury that will do.
I would rather Fabio played upfront than bellegarde.
I look at Hwang and Neto towards the end against Sheffield united and I worry about how either are going to last the fixtures over the next couple of months.
I will take Fraser over Fabio at the moment, and it's not even particularly close. Fabio's inability to control his emotions enough to follow instructions makes him unplayable.

Sasa couldn't move before he got injured again. Was never fully fit. Watching him for Frankfurt was painful.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sounds like a dry loan and then hopefully sell him this summer. 10 goals and 14 g+a so far this season isn't shabby...hopefully the club can get something for him.
Thanks for the reply. He might be the only loaned player we'll get our money back on!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will take Fraser over Fabio at the moment, and it's not even particularly close. Fabio's inability to control his emotions enough to follow instructions makes him unplayable.

Sasa couldn't move before he got injured again. Was never fully fit. Watching him for Frankfurt was painful.
It I was bringing him on for 35 minutes I'd take him over Fabio over the moment, but I don't fancy it being good for him playing 90 minutes every week. We aren't that many injuries away from doing that or playing bellegarde up front.

SEAwolves

Reaction score

Apparently he's been looking much better ever since Mendilibar came in after Carvalhal was sacked, so even if they don't take up the option to buy we might be able to get even more for him.

SEAwolves

Reaction score
What tonight's cup matches/draw mean for Europe:

Much more likely that a top 6 club wins the cup (58% → 66%) and that a top 7 club wins it (65% → 72%), which in turn makes it more likely that 8th in the league suffices for Europe (53% → 59%) and makes it even more certain that 7th assures either UECL/UEL (92% → 94%).

Accounting for all permutations of league finishes/FA Cup on the line/how English clubs perform in European competitions, it's a 26% chance for Europe overall (~0.5% Champions League, 15% Europa League, 11% Conference League).

We've got the second toughest run-in of any of the teams chasing Europe right now - should we beat Cov in the quarterfinals, we'll play Palace, Arsenal, and Liverpool all within the span of the final 8 days of the season, so unless we break away from the chasing pack in the league it might come down to the final couple games.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a team game
GON and Fosun have worked wonders between them
In all my posts on here over the last 8 years I have given Fosun full credit when it was due. They have done wonders for this club.
But I cant give them credit for GON's (and the teams) success. Fosun have shrunk the squad since he arrived. And GON asked for additions. Making his job tougher. IMO

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all my posts on here over the last 8 years I have given Fosun full credit when it was due. They have done wonders for this club.
But I cant give them credit for GON's (and the teams) success. Fosun have shrunk the squad since he arrived. And GON asked for additions. Making his job tougher. IMO
This season was always going to be one of transition, where we've had to walk the FFP tightrope.

Fosun were in charge the whole time, so yeah they have to shoulder the blame...

I do feel though, that the situation we've found ourselves in is largely down to the personnel employed to run the show - Lage and Sellers, which is ultimately the fault of Shi, who represents Fosun.

Lage and Sellers oversaw some dreadful recruitment which then had to be fixed by Hobbs and Lopetegui. Due to some big spending, GON has been hamstrung in the transfer market compared to previous coaches...

It remains to be seen what the recruitment strategy is moving forward, but hopefully some backing will be forthcoming in the summer.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m giving Fosun credit for the players they have brought in to get us in the position we are now and at the same time keeping us clear of FFP sanctions
I’ll repeat myself, it’s a team effort everyone gets credit for where we are now

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best chance of Europe is through fa cup. But genuinely the ffp of getting Europe will hurt us either way

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season was always going to be one of transition, where we've had to walk the FFP tightrope.

I do feel though, that the situation we've found ourselves in is largely down to the personnel employed to run the show - Lage and Sellers, which is ultimately the fault of Shi, who represents Fosun.

Lage and Sellers oversaw some dreadful recruitment which then had to be fixed by Hobbs and Lopetegui. Due to some big spending, GON has been hamstrung in the transfer market compared to previous coaches...

It remains to be seen what the recruitment strategy is moving forward, but hopefully some backing will be forthcoming in the summer.
100% agree with that.
I just wish they would have bought GON a few sensibly priced and much needed attacking replacements to show support to him as manager . We will probably need them in the league .
But after last night we may get a day at Wembley and a good chance of an FA cup place in Europe without exhausting the first 11 in the league.

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gary was given the impression and task of get 17th without spending anything

We will be in a situation to support next year - he was told by shi that there will be finances, i know this is a fact

Hes reiterated this recently when talking about neto stating the financial issue is now sorted

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m giving Fosun credit for the players they have brought in to get us in the position we are now and at the same time keeping us clear of FFP sanctions
I’ll repeat myself, it’s a team effort everyone gets credit for where we are now
Well we dont differ there. My post did say I had given them credit for the past 8 years.

Reaction score
What do the bookies have us favourites to do, finishing 7th or winning the cup? I’d imagine it’s the league position based on current standings and those remaining in the cup

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 of our last 5 games are against Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool. Villa away is also a very tough game, they're as good as the top three at home.

If we want top 8, we realistically need somewhere between 55-60 points. A minimum of 5 wins from our last 10. Realistically, every game we are favoured in, we need to win.

Bournemouth (H), Burnley (A), West Ham (H), Forest (A), Luton (H), Palace (H).

We've given ourselves a chance, and nobody expected this at the start of the season so let's just enjoy the ride and see what happens!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top 10 would be a magnificent effort. No need to over think it, let’s just enjoy the ride.

The cup on the other hand…just one professional performance and one slice of luck from a final.

Throw in a win away at the ****.
Whichever way you look at it, this seasons been absolutely superb so far.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next year's expanded champions league draw will be made by computer as it would take over four hours to do it in the traditional way.

Milijas

Reaction score
A cup win would be the only way.. anyone thinking we can qualify for Europe through the league is living in cuckoo land! Don't mean to be pessimistic but cmon..
We are ravaged by injuries unfortunately across our front line.
Anything 12th above would be a a legitimate improvement and under the financial gains we have made is remarkable but if you honestly think our small and battered squad can get a European spot then you are delusional. If wolves finish top 7 I'll buy every ****ing one of you a pint and eat a hat (well maybe not eat the hat)!

meeee67

Reaction score
A cup win would be the only way.. anyone thinking we can qualify for Europe through the league is living in cuckoo land! Don't mean to be pessimistic but cmon..
Anything 12th above would be a a legitimate improvement and under the financial gains we have made is remarkable but if you honestly think our small and battered squad can get a European spot then you are delusional. If wolves finish top 7 I'll buy every ****ing one of you a pint and eat a hat (well maybe not eat the hat
Are you Walsall in disguise? :)...Well not quite Walsall but people will know what I mean I think...

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anything 12th above would be a a legitimate improvement and under the financial gains we have made is remarkable but if you honestly think our small and battered squad can get a European spot then you are delusional. If wolves finish top 7 I'll buy every ****ing one of you a pint and eat a hat (well maybe not eat the hat)!
Agreed but

Brighton on a real bad run of form with number of injures
West Ham again dont seem to be getting results got Europe to think about.
Newcastle have a lot of injures
Chelsea not sure which team will turn up

We seem to be getting results with players missing. However with only 2 league games between now and 6th April West Ham at home I would hope to have Hwang and maybe Neto back for this.

Just noticed we are playing three claret teams on the bounce,

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
12/1 to win the FA Cup.
10/1 to finish in the top 7 (can't see odds for 8th)

OK, the squad is struggling up front, but that's going to hurt either way.

A top half finish and a semi-final is realistically an incredible outcome for this season, but we're at least as likely to get maybe 18 points from the last 10 games and qualify for Europe as we are to beat Coventry, Leicester and Man U to win the FA Cup (which seems the easiest realistic route!)

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
I'd like to believe we can do it, but I won't forget where we were at the start of the season. To finish in the top half would be fantastic.

Madmalc

Reaction score
We're doing better than expected this year, but I have a nagging feeling European Football next season would be a step to far with the squad depth we have, or can afford to have, next season.
If we get European Football next season the knock on effect would likely be more of a struggle in the league next year and at worst another relegation battle the following year.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's conference league

Bentley
Doc
Santi
Kilman
Hugo
Doyle
Bellegarde
Booby
Noah
Fraser
Gonzalez

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
We're doing better than expected this year, but I have a nagging feeling European Football next season would be a step to far with the squad depth we have, or can afford to have, next season.
If we get European Football next season the knock on effect would likely be more of a struggle in the league next year and at worst another relegation battle the following year.
I'd love Europe, any supporter would, but I agree- it'd be a step too far at the moment, I think. If it comes at the expense of our solid position in the league, I'd be more than happy to wait until we have more depth.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe we have a chance of European qualification through the league
We are 2points off seventh spot!!!
Anyone who doesn’t think we have a chance is living in cuckoo land and is truly delusional

Last edited:

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
I believe we have a chance of European qualification through the league
We are 2points off seventh spot!!!
Anyone who doesn’t think we have a chance is living in cuckoo land and truly delusional
Have to agree. I won't be in tears if we don't get it, but anybody who is saying we have no chance at all can't have looked at the table in a while!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to agree. I won't be in tears if we don't get it, but anybody who is saying we have no chance at all can't have looked at the table in a while!
And let’s not forget the table isn’t a true reflection of this season, we should have possibly 9 more points, this group of players have performed on par with most of the top teams.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
And let’s not forget the table isn’t a true reflection of this season, we should have possibly 9 more points, this group of players have performed on par with most of the top teams.
Without the wave of injury problems we'd most likely be doing even better, too.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This narrative always makes me smile. Yes, we had several dubious VAR calls and some apologies as a result.

However.

If any one of those calls had gone the other way then nothing that took place after that point would have been the same. Absolutely everything would have changed. You can’t just say we should have had 9 (or 7) points without acknowledging the fact that nothing remains the same if a decision is changed.

If we had been given a penalty v Man U then the ball would have gone on the spot for the kick and every player would have been in a different position so nothing that did actually occur would have occurred.

Its fallacy to keep repeating “we were denied 9 points” without understanding that the alternative reality would be completely different to what the actual reality is.

<and breathe>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom