Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Euro 2012 thread

W

WasStefan

Now that the England squad has been announced, everyone excited? At least we will have some football to watch in the off-season. :embarassed:

Squad:
Goalkeepers; Joe Hart (Manchester City), Rob Green (West Ham United), John Ruddy (Norwich City)

Defenders; Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders; Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards; Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

On standby; Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Fixtures:
European Championship
Monday, 11/06/2012
Kick off 17:00 BST at Donbass Arena, Donetsk, Ukraine
VS
France vs England

European Championship
Monday, 11/06/2012
Kick off 17:00 BST at Donbass Arena, Donetsk, Ukraine
VS
Sweden vs England

European Championship
Friday, 15/06/2012
Kick off 19:45 BST at Olympic Stadium, Kiev, Ukraine
VS
England vs Ukraine

European Championship
Tuesday, 19/06/2012
Kick off 19:45 BST at Donbass Arena, Donetsk, Ukraine

My prediction; lose to France but squeeze through to the last 8, where we will lose.

Mods- please sticky thread? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jamesjh89

Not excited one bit, apart from the ox theres been no exciting picks and it looks the same boring team as it always is. Roll on august.

W

WasStefan

Not excited one bit, apart from the ox theres been no exciting picks and it looks the same boring team as it always is. Roll on august.

Agree. His hand has been forced RE younger players to a certain extent, Wilshere, Walker injured, Cleverley injured most of the season, Sturridge just gone out of form etc. His biggest mistakes were not including Richards, choosing the racist over Ferdinand, and not trying to get Scholes out of retirement for a one off tournament.

Still, at least we have some competitive football to watch instead of pretending we like F1 for the whole summer :D

W

wanderer24

Its olympic year, Hodgson is manager, Terry is still playing and none of the players give a $$$$ about wearing the shirt anymore. So am I excited? Not really.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. His hand has been forced RE younger players to a certain extent, Wilshere, Walker injured, Cleverley injured most of the season, Sturridge just gone out of form etc. His biggest mistakes were not including Richards, choosing the racist over Ferdinand, and not trying to get Scholes out of retirement for a one off tournament.

Still, at least we have some competitive football to watch instead of pretending we like F1 for the whole summer :D

There's always cricket. Starting today...England v windies at lords.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Scholes said no as did Carrick

F

FLEET WOLF

There's always cricket. Starting today...England v windies at lords.

Agreed, I am more interested in that and even more so, the forthcoming series against South Africa.

B

Bankswolf II

Can't say I am all too excited I do think that this is the first year that there's no expectation to do much other than get through the qualifiers so least all the patriotic rubbish can be saved for the olympics

Germany to win it for me

B

Batman

I lost my passion the day that and England football team failed to show an ounce of interest in the German game at the last World Cup.

I no longer give a monkeys what they do or bother to watch them half the time. I reckon it would take something pretty special to get me interested in this bunch again.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Have to admit that with the exceptions of Ferdinand, Johnson and Sturridge for Terry, Barry and Downing, the squad is pretty similar to the one that I would have chosen (especially with the unavailability of Scholes, Walker and Carrick).

Getting quite excited about the Summer now, especially in terms of Wolves potential signings. Hopefully Jimmy Anderson can skittle a few West Indian batsmen out today.

S

SimplyTheWolves

I'm slightly excited but not enough to lose any sleep over. No doubt that will change as it gets nearer, and when it starts and we put in another drab predictable performance the excitement will no doubt disappear again. Then again things may be different this year, well I say that to my self every time, but doesn't everybody.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same players. How Downing and Henderson make the cut is beyond me.

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be in Ukraine. Very interested to see how it pans out, both footballing-wise and in tournament organisation terms.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't say I am all too excited I do think that this is the first year that there's no expectation to do much other than get through the qualifiers so least all the patriotic rubbish can be saved for the olympics

Germany to win it for me

Get through the qualifiers? Mmmm Lose to France in the opener, grab our customary draw against Sweden and then we have to win against the co-hosts playing in Donetsk to proceed with GD playing a deciding role. NOT a foregone conclusion by any means.

A

andyc225

With that awful squad, I'm more interested in how our Irish lads get on.

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take care over there.

Donetsk is a joke

I've not heard great things. I imagine it will be the polar opposite of SA - where there was always something to do/see aside from the football (a good job for England fans).

I'm hoping that just being out there with a good bunch of people will make-up for Donetsk's lack of charm.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not heard great things. I imagine it will be the polar opposite of SA - where there was always something to do/see aside from the football (a good job for England fans).

I'm hoping that just being out there with a good bunch of people will make-up for Donetsk's lack of charm.

Aside from SKY's report, Donetsk has been made ridiculously big in order to qualify as a host city hasn't it? Hotel rooms 100 miles way etc?? Have you sorted something?

Poland in contrast is a great country.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from SKY's report, Donetsk has been made ridiculously big in order to qualify as a host city hasn't it? Hotel rooms 100 miles way etc?? Have you sorted something?

Are any Poles left in Poland ?

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm slightly excited but not enough to lose any sleep over. No doubt that will change as it gets nearer, and when it starts and we put in another drab predictable performance the excitement will no doubt disappear again. Then again things may be different this year, well I say that to my self every time, but doesn't everybody.

I'm exactly the same.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The one thing that struck me in the last World Cup was how laboured and pedestrian we seemed in comparison to some of the other sides in the tournament (very much like Wolves with the exception of Jarvis come to think of it). Pace is such an important thing at any level of football so if we can get the likes of Walcott, Young and Welbeck in the side, we may surprise a few teams.

I was reading this morning that Hodgson is considering whether to start with Oxlade-Chamberlain so we could well begin the Euros with a side of:

Hart
Johnson, Terry, Cahill, Cole
Parker, Gerrard
Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young
Welbeck

With Rooney still to come in, that would be quite an exciting (and pacy) frontline.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are any Poles left in Poland ?

:shakeshead:

The one thing that struck me in the last World Cup was how laboured and pedestrian we seemed in comparison to some of the other sides in the tournament (very much like Wolves with the exception of Jarvis come to think of it). Pace is such an important thing at any level of football so if we can get the likes of Walcott, Young and Welbeck in the side, we may surprise a few teams.

I was reading this morning that Hodgson is considering whether to start with Oxlade-Chamberlain so we could well begin the Euros with a side of:

Hart
Johnson, Terry, Cahill, Cole
Parker, Gerrard
Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young
Welbeck

With Rooney still to come in, that would be quite an exciting (and pacy) frontline.

I'd keep the Ox for the bench, especially V the French. I could see Milner being brought in to that team to track Ribery.

Yes, the really attractive females.

Stunnging. Headturners.

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, we're in a hostel. To be 100% honest, like SA, it was all much easier than has been portrayed by the press.

I do suppose we have the flexibility of not needing a decent hotel room but being happy with a shared dorm.

We've done well in Kiev. Managed to get a shared house between 8 of us, works out much cheaper than a hotel, and looks a really nice place. (Definitely legit, don't worry!)

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I can't wait. I'm glad there's an Englishman in charge and I'm looking forward to the whole competition. Fed up with the inevitable $$$$ about his selections. You cannot please everybody, it is absolute $$$$$$ being an England fan, Capello's gone, he didn't give a flying $$$$, now we've got en Englishman in, and there's still people finding stuff to moan about! Out of the 23 people he has picked, there's about 3 decisions that I completely disagree with....was I expecting Roy Hodgson to pick the exact same 23 as I would have? Nah. James in the second post say's there aren't enough exciting selections apart from Ox... If he had selected NO experienced players (i.e Terry, Gerrard) people would still complain, saying he's chosen an inexperienced squad. He's got quite a good balance in my opinion. Downing, no Richards, and no Johnson are the key mistakes in my view, but I'm not going to sit here moaning about not looking forward to it, he knows a damn site more about football than every single person on here.

Pick yourself a starting XI from the squad he's chosen, one that you personally think is the best selection, are you telling me that we'd have gone a lot further in the competition had you selected the 23 yourself? Add or omit the handful of players to Roy's 23 that you disagree with, is there REALLY that much of a difference?

And for god sake, why does everyone slate John Terry so much? He's hardly Joey $$$$ing Barton is he? I don't give a $$$$ who he's slept with, I care about his attitude on the pitch, and it is unquestionable. Don't bring the racism rubbish up, innocent until proven guilty and in my opinion, I believe he hasn't done anything in the slightest. He puts his face on the line for England (literally in the past has used his face to block the ball) and is an experienced centre back whose had a good season, forget the couple of nightmares he's had, Ferdinand's had nightmares throughout his whole career. Ferdinand wouldn't be able to consecutively play all of those games, and even if he had just been taken as a squad player, people would still moan that there's too many older players! Lose lose situation.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, we're in a hostel. To be 100% honest, like SA, it was all much easier than has been portrayed by the press.

I do suppose we have the flexibility of not needing a decent hotel room but being happy with a shared dorm.

We've done well in Kiev. Managed to get a shared house between 8 of us, works out much cheaper than a hotel, and looks a really nice place. (Definitely legit, don't worry!)

Good stuff mate glad you're sorted. Hope you get a chance to get to Poland if youve not already been!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is our defence (i.e John Terry) the reason behind our failures in the last few competitions, or is it the poor coaching and lack or midfield creativity and off the ball movement and urgency? Which one?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is our defence (i.e John Terry) the reason behind our failures in the last few competitions, or is it the poor coaching and lack or midfield creativity and off the ball movement and urgency? Which one?

Don't underestimate the negative impact someone like Terry has

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could be right NWW, but do we know for 100% certainty that he has a negative impact? He certainly doesn't as a leader for the Chelsea squad.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's accused of racially abusing a respected players brother

He's ****ged another teammates missus

How would you feel toward him?

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Accused being the key word.

With regards to Bridge, it's bad and I don't condone it, but like I said I wouldn't care about his private life when we're on the training ground or the pitch. He's there on merit of how good a centre back he is. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be the blokes best mate, I just don't understand that peoples hatred for him makes them not want him in the England side!

Look at how many rogue / nasty / controversial characters there have been in sides like Italy, Germany, Argentina, and they urinate on us in the International stage, or have done in terms of their success, we're too bloody nice!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You asked about a negative impact. I said he could have one. Nothing about him as a player.

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lost my passion the day that and England football team failed to show an ounce of interest in the German game at the last World Cup.

I no longer give a monkeys what they do or bother to watch them half the time. I reckon it would take something pretty special to get me interested in this bunch again.

+1 my feelings exactly! Roll on August!

F

FLEET WOLF

+1 my feelings exactly! Roll on August!

I know what you mean-if our performances are like the one against Germany in the World Cup, then I am afraid my interest will wane even more than it has to date! We are constantly let down by the overpriced clowns, most of whom think they are better than they really are-bit like being a Wolves fan I suppose!

bimble

Reaction score
With that awful squad, I'm more interested in how our Irish lads get on.

Instead of throwing a random comment in that the squad is aweful why not try to be a little more constructive.Why not give us all the benefit of your nous and name your 23 man squad which I venture to suggest would not be radically different to the one named.
I've already said on another thread that the problem for any England manager is the abundance of mediocre talent available.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Instead of throwing a random comment in that the squad is aweful why not try to be a little more constructive.Why not give us all the benefit of your nous and name your 23 man squad which I venture to suggest would not be radically different to the one named.
I've already said on another thread that the problem for any England manager is the abundance of mediocre talent available.

Ahmen. Absolutely spot on. Everyone whose criticised the selection (more than just two or so selections) put up the 23 you'd take.

W

WasStefan

No real football left from now on in. (apart from league play offs), all attention turns to Euro 2012 which kicks off in 3 weeks time?

One bad thing about this is- no football for a few weeks! :(

Back
Top Bottom