Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Enrique on Adama

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know its been mentioned many times but I think Adama would be better utilised more central, recieve the ball in the centre of the pitch and just run at the defenders into the box, he either gets fouled for a free kick/ penalty or hopefully gets through on goal/ gets a shot off.
His first instinct now ( which has become increasingly easy to defend as he runs out of space) is to take it wide to the byline.
He may not want to play centrally but I just feel he can be so much more than what he currently gives us.
He’s had a lot of dangerous moments when running centrally.
The goals against Spurs and Citeh, the one he setup by battering through away to Spurs, the penalty against Sevilla...
It’s just difficult to get the ball to him there, as it’s such a congested area and he’s so static. Usually involved Jimenez holding it up and giving it to him short.
It’s also high risk, as a number of opposing players rush towards him, and are then well placed to break if he gives it away.
If he manages to turn away from those first couple of players, then it’s instant danger...in most other circumstances it’s dangerous to us.

It’s definitely interesting, but the best partner he could have to achieve that isn’t going to be back for a while. Jimenez playing close to Adama in a front 2 can work, as Raul has the work rate, intelligence and hold up play to do the work for both of them, like Citeh away last season.
You then have the Neto conundrum, where does he fit into that? Lad is playing far too well to leave out even if Raul were available.
The 3-4-1-2 we went to in the spectacular comeback against Southampton worked, could be interesting now we’re finally getting towards a pair of wing backs that could feasibly cover the whole wing each.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But it's a bit more complicated than that isn't it? It isn't just Adama who's using anaerobic energy. Neto is doing the same when he makes those lung bursting runs forward on the other wing. And he recovers to get back into position and go again a few minutes later. It's also to do with the aerobic base which each player will have developed pre-season and maintained. I'm sure our coaching staff have access to the best data with regard to Adama and will be doing the best they can to build his endurance. And fast and slow twitch muscle fibres aren't necessarily set in stone.
Neto isn’t carrying anywhere near the muscle mass Adama is.

Tufts back

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know its been mentioned many times but I think Adama would be better utilised more central, recieve the ball in the centre of the pitch and just run at the defenders into the box, he either gets fouled for a free kick/ penalty or hopefully gets through on goal/ gets a shot off.
His first instinct now ( which has become increasingly easy to defend as he runs out of space) is to take it wide to the byline.
He may not want to play centrally but I just feel he can be so much more than what he currently gives us.
Couldn’t have given my opinion any better

wolfsbeer

Reaction score
Adama is a strange one when considering energy and the rate he burns it at. His physique could actually be compared to an international 400m runner rather than 100m - Maurice Greene (176cm, 75kg) is probably the only recent 100m runner comparable to Adama (178cm, 72kg). Even then he was still a few kg heavier whilst still being shorter. van Niekerk (1.83cm, 70kg) is slightly taller and lighter than Adama. Michael Johnson (185cm, 79kg) was a bit heavier and taller than Adama, but still comparable. He just looks so much bigger than other professional footballers. Add his speed to that and people think he is a 100m runner. All opinion I guess - sure someone could argue the other way.

It’s academic really as Adama most likely gets most of his energy from phosphocreatine which is the anaerobic store of adenosine triphosphate – short duration high intensity exercise. Then he most likely dips into anaerobic glycolysis (glucose burning) – high intensity exercise that can take you up to 800m distance (could be argued that some 800m runners put 2 decent 400m sprints back to back). Both of these energy systems don’t require oxygen to release energy. Slowing down means he can stay in these energy groups longer. Plus you can train the first two groups to be a bit longer. He does move into the aerobic as we see him out of breath – but it won’t be as effective for him due to his size and explosive muscles. He can still use aerobic energy, we all can. He might use it more for better recovery though. Big blokes can still run distance - just not as well.

The argument I guess is – play him to his strength, not his weakness. Also keep a creatine drink on the sidelines to increase phosphocreatine levels.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama is a strange one when considering energy and the rate he burns it at. His physique could actually be compared to an international 400m runner rather than 100m - Maurice Greene (176cm, 75kg) is probably the only recent 100m runner comparable to Adama (178cm, 72kg). Even then he was still a few kg heavier whilst still being shorter. van Niekerk (1.83cm, 70kg) is slightly taller and lighter than Adama. Michael Johnson (185cm, 79kg) was a bit heavier and taller than Adama, but still comparable. He just looks so much bigger than other professional footballers. Add his speed to that and people think he is a 100m runner. All opinion I guess - sure someone could argue the other way.

It’s academic really as Adama most likely gets most of his energy from phosphocreatine which is the anaerobic store of adenosine triphosphate – short duration high intensity exercise. Then he most likely dips into anaerobic glycolysis (glucose burning) – high intensity exercise that can take you up to 800m distance (could be argued that some 800m runners put 2 decent 400m sprints back to back). Both of these energy systems don’t require oxygen to release energy. Slowing down means he can stay in these energy groups longer. Plus you can train the first two groups to be a bit longer. He does move into the aerobic as we see him out of breath – but it won’t be as effective for him due to his size and explosive muscles. He can still use aerobic energy, we all can. He might use it more for better recovery though. Big blokes can still run distance - just not as well.

The argument I guess is – play him to his strength, not his weakness. Also keep a creatine drink on the sidelines to increase phosphocreatine levels.
Thanks for what reads like a well informed post.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

At last someone who understands what several us have been saying for some time. However, a heavier person (14 stone plus ) would use more energy to run distance than a say 9 stone person.

You don't see any top African Caribbean marathon runners, and it is very rare to see an African sprinter.

Daley Thompson was a big lad and a tremendous athlete. World class in several of his ten events. However, his 1500 metre time was the standard of a top U15 girl.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At last someone who understands what several us have been saying for some time. However, a heavier person (14 stone plus ) would use more energy to run distance than a say 9 stone person.
You don't see any top African Caribbean marathon runners, and it is very rare to see an African sprinter.
Daley Thompson was a big lad and a tremendous athlete. World class in several of his ten events. However, his 1500 metre time was the standard of a top U15 girl.
@Abbobrom totally agree.. Adama is built more for speed than endurance running.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re sprinters l might have agreed had you said East African.

Back
Top Bottom