Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Enrique on Adama

T

TheConcourse

Jose Enrique has been quoted in an interview to suggest that Adama is carrying too much weight to play for a top side.

The outcome? He can’t do enough work for the team to get up and down the pitch.

Interesting debate this one.. I’ve felt for a while that Adama is one of the most dangerous players in world football when it clicks, but he causes such a huge imbalance to the team.

I’ve always put it down him not having a “footballing brain”, but you don’t reach this level without footballing intelligence.

Is the real problem that his explosive style means he has to pick and choose his moments in game with the rest of the time recovering? Lots of assumption from me. Interested to hear views.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His explosive style (and build) absolutely means he can't do the up and down of a conventional winger. When he's on it though he's unstoppable, we've seen players foul him and bounce off him (Spurs away last season springs to mind, Tanganga?). I'd keep him the way he is

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Is Jose Enrique an expert on this, or just another ex-player giving an opinion? Adama has been very out of form this season (like a number of our players) but there are reasons (like a number of our players). I still don’t really think we have found a system or way of playing that gets the best out of him. But again, he’s such a unique player I don’t necessarily think that’s an easy task.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting point. There is certainly something in Traore's make-up that doesn't allow him to constantly move around the football field. One dynamic run and he seems knackered for a few minutes, he then can go again. However if it is as obvious as his weight/muscle-mass, I'm surprised that it's someone like Enrique that has become aware of it before, our own fitness coaches.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His build doesn’t have anything to do with not making runs into space, taking on 4 players on the edge of our box or waiting till the whole defence has got back and reset when left 1 on 1. That lack of awareness on the pitch is what prevents him playing for a top side.

SellyWolf

Reaction score
When I watch us and Traore is playing well, I do become increasingly frustrated with one of the rules of the game which I just think isn’t right.

For me, a professional foul where there is absolutely no attempt to play the ball at all (you know the ones - the completely blatant ones) should be a straight red card. It’s essentially cheating. Very frustrating when 3-4 attacks per game are stopped when Traore is well clear of a man potentially putting us in a 3 Vs 2 counter attack and a pull back or trip metres away from the ball are allowed to happen with only a yellow for punishment.
Until this rule changes - Traore in good form is still able to be stopped in his tracks by 3 or 4 players a game who have no interest in playing the ball. It’s a shame.

T

TheConcourse

When I watch us and Traore is playing well, I do become increasingly frustrated with one of the rules of the game which I just think isn’t right.

For me, a professional foul where there is absolutely no attempt to play the ball at all (you know the ones - the completely blatant ones) should be a straight red card. It’s essentially cheating. Very frustrating when 3-4 attacks per game are stopped when Traore is well clear of a man potentially putting us in a 3 Vs 2 counter attack and a pull back or trip metres away from the ball are allowed to happen with only a yellow for punishment.
Until this rule changes - Traore in good form is still able to be stopped in his tracks by 3 or 4 players a game who have no interest in playing the ball. It’s a shame.
This really winds me up too. Pushing the absolute limits of a yellow card and usually a pretty dangerous tackle.
One v Leicester was actually quite aggressive. Could have been nasty.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have always used but never thought about or understood the phrase ‘breathing through his ****’ until watching Adama. He bends over hands on thighs gasping for air... breathing through his ****. For sure, there are posters on here that give Adama’s lack of effort or anticipation and general unawareness a free pass because he is conserving his energy.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw a chart recently that plotted the total movement of all premier league forwards in a game (on here maybe). Traore stood out ... with the least total movement. I guess that backs up this argument.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Once again people giving opinions when they don't understand physiology. The energy system that Adama uses (Anaerobic) only lasts for around ten seconds.

This has been debated before on previous threads. I used the analogy that Lynford Christy would never race a Marathon, and Paula Ratcliffe would never win an Internaional 100m.

As Moxley Wolf states , it's all to do with fast and slow twitch muscle fibres.

Genetics!!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once again people giving opinions when they don't understand physiology. The energy system that Adama uses (Anaerobic) only lasts for around ten seconds.

This has been debated before on previous threads. I used the analogy that Lynford Christy would never race a Marathon, and Paula Ratcliffe would never win an Internaional 100m.

Genetics!!
Another one of those threads we could cut and paste on mate!

T

TheConcourse

Genetics!!

Another one of those threads we could cut and paste on mate!

*Makes note to search for keyword ‘anerobic’ before posting about Traore again.*

Thanks for the heads up.

T

TheConcourse

To be fair mate it does lead you to believe it’s the Spain manager rather than someone who’s opinion means **** all.
You’ve connected some dots, totally forgot Luis Enrique managed the national team - thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 11157

Whaaaat ???

This is no Mickey Quinn.

I would always give him a free role. A completely unique and perhaps unmanageable footballer. I expect one day to see him on rollerskates in a production of cats.

Richboxy

Groupie
Reaction score
You’ve connected some dots, totally forgot Luis Enrique managed the national team - thanks!
This is exactly it. If it’s his National team manager saying speaking on Adama, it’s of interest to Wolves fans and the reason many would view the thread.

Don’t thank many, if anyone, really cares what Jose Enrique (who?) thinks.... maybe I’m wrong.

I’m sure it was an innocent mistake

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can he be carrying too much weight? He’s built like a rugby league player and those lads can shift. As someone else has said earlier it’s not that he’s knackered after a sprint and burst down the line it’s the fact he has to wait for the reset. He’s never gonna have the brains of Christiano Ronaldo but he’s just a battering ram that players cannot play against without bringing him down and fouling and if his name was grealish or Maddison he would be winning 20+ fouls against him.

T

TheConcourse

This is exactly it. If it’s his National team manager saying speaking on Adama, it’s of interest to Wolves fans and the reason many would view the thread.

Don’t thank many, if anyone, really cares what Jose Enrique (who?) thinks.... maybe I’m wrong.

I’m sure it was an innocent mistake
Definitely was, and I’m sorry for the sarcastic response.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can he be carrying too much weight? He’s built like a rugby league player and those lads can shift. As someone else has said earlier it’s not that he’s knackered after a sprint and burst down the line it’s the fact he has to wait for the reset. He’s never gonna have the brains of Christiano Ronaldo but he’s just a battering ram that players cannot play against without bringing him down and fouling and if his name was grealish or Maddison he would be winning 20+ fouls against him.
Really ****s me off when he doesn't get a foul that you just know Greasey would have got.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm as frustrated as the next man when Traore slows play down, stops and then has 2 players to take on. When Traore plays, the opposition (have to?) double up on him freeing up space elsewhere - which is why when he gets a decent cross in its dangerous, and Jimenez made the most of it. It concerns me more that even with this space we don't score anymore.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't agree with Enrique. Adama can be a bit lazy and infuriating in turns. He is not enough of a team man at times. But half the problem is I think we have used him very unintelligently at times. Too often you see him given the ball and our players just sit there waiting for him to produce some magic almost as bystanders. He needs players around him when he goes on one of his bursts with many more one/ twos and should attack on an inside channel more often than just doing the usual kick it ahead on the wing and catch me if you can leading to over hasty crosses at times that noone can reach.Assuming there is anyone in the box to pass to of course.

Good passes for him to run on to and really use his pace to charge through defences are few and far between. Also he tends to stop when he gets the ball losing momentum for the team, before perhaps trying to trick his way past an opponent or two. His shooting is pretty poor also apart from the odd worldie. He is an enigma, but I think if our tactics were more intelligent and forward- thinking he would greatly benefit.

D

Deleted member 11332

Don't agree with Enrique. Adama can be a bit lazy and infuriating in turns. He is not enough of a team man at times. But half the problem is I think we have used him very unintelligently at times. Too often you see him given the ball and our players just sit there waiting for him to produce some magic almost as bystanders. He needs players around him when he goes on one of his bursts and should attack on an inside channel more often than just doing the usual kick it ahead on the wing and catch me if you can leading to over hasty crosses at times that noone can reach.

Good passes for him to run on to and really use his pace to charge through defences are few and far between. Also he tends to stop when he gets the ball losing momentum for the team, before perhaps trying to trick his way past an opponent. His shooting is pretty poor also apart from the odd worldie. He is an enigma but I think if our tactics were more intelligent and forward- thinking he would greatly benefit.

This is a great idea but I can count on one hand the amount of times he's passed it someone then made a run off the pass. Usually when he does pass it he stands there waiting for it back. When he's running at speed he never passes.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Genetics!!
But it's a bit more complicated than that isn't it? It isn't just Adama who's using anaerobic energy. Neto is doing the same when he makes those lung bursting runs forward on the other wing. And he recovers to get back into position and go again a few minutes later. It's also to do with the aerobic base which each player will have developed pre-season and maintained. I'm sure our coaching staff have access to the best data with regard to Adama and will be doing the best they can to build his endurance. And fast and slow twitch muscle fibres aren't necessarily set in stone.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His explosive style (and build) absolutely means he can't do the up and down of a conventional winger. When he's on it though he's unstoppable, we've seen players foul him and bounce off him (Spurs away last season springs to mind, Tanganga?). I'd keep him the way he is

I know its been mentioned many times but I think Adama would be better utilised more central, recieve the ball in the centre of the pitch and just run at the defenders into the box, he either gets fouled for a free kick/ penalty or hopefully gets through on goal/ gets a shot off.
His first instinct now ( which has become increasingly easy to defend as he runs out of space) is to take it wide to the byline.
He may not want to play centrally but I just feel he can be so much more than what he currently gives us.

Back
Top Bottom