Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England V France

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
News coming out of Ukraine that Oxlade Chamberlain will start ahead of Downing.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
ITV were claiming Downing in their Eng report last night..............which judging from the rest of their coverage probably means you're right :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
England team to play France:

Hart;
Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole;
Milner, Gerrard, Parker; Oxlade-Chamberlain;
Young;
Welbeck

Or I suppose they could set up like this,

--------Hart
Johnson Terry Lescott Cole
--Milner Gerrard Parker
Chamberlain-------Young
--------Wellbeck

I think I prefer the 2nd formation.

According to Sky and BBC news at one.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would just like to place on record right now that I show absolutely no interest in international football and the whole hype for England. I think it is what it is, a over-hyped load of tripe that people just use as a release for when the football season has finished. The passion for it is so false, I have almost began to hate it.

Later on for me will be an excuse to drink several bevvies and come full time laugh at everyone in the boozer who have used the previous few hours to get all hyped up over $$$$ all. International football - load of $$$$$$$$. Rant over.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
I would just like to place on record right now that I show absolutely no interest in international football and the whole hype for England. I think it is what it is, a over-hyped load of tripe that people just use as a release for when the football season has finished. The passion for it is so false, I have almost began to hate it.

Later on for me will be an excuse to drink several bevvies and come full time laugh at everyone in the boozer who have used the previous few hours to get all hyped up over $$$$ all. International football - load of $$$$$$$$. Rant over.

Having a bad day?

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if Walsall Wolf will feel the same should England be going into extra time v Germany in the semi-finals. Hopefully, we'll find out.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if Walsall Wolf will feel the same should England be going into extra time v Germany in the semi-finals. Hopefully, we'll find out.

But realistically, is that really going to happen? Even in the foreseeable future? That is about the same kind of question as would a non supporting Wolverhampton resident be interested in the F.A Cup final penalty shoot out between Manchester Utd, of course they would, but both chances of these scenarios are outside at best.

Since 96 (the last tournament where everyone was genuinely passionate about) each 2 years the interest has got less and less to the point of tedious. Its boring now.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You seem to be saying you'll only be interested if and when England look like they can win it?

I remember Italia 90, a tournament that started with 2 bore draws but then went on to produce one of the best England supporting experiences ever. during the last decade, England were an over hyped disgrace and I was of the same opinion as you, but now Hodgson has taken over, I think the national side will get alot of respect back.

R

Redditch Wolves

It's about supporting your country through thick and thin.

M

Mr Wolf

For me it's impossible not to get passionate over any sport involving England/Britain.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You seem to be saying you'll only be interested if and when England look like they can win it?

I remember Italia 90, a tournament that started with 2 bore draws but then went on to produce one of the best England supporting experiences ever. during the last decade, England were an over hyped disgrace and I was of the same opinion as you, but now Hodgson has taken over, I think the national side will get alot of respect back.

Not at all, as that suggests I am a bit of a bandwagon jumper and a supporter of England but just an unloyal one. There is supporting and showing an interest, if England got to the scenario you describe would I show an interest? Of course I would, it is natural.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's impossible not to get passionate over any sport involving England/Britain.

In that case maybe it suggests I don't really have any passion/love for Sport as a general - I just love Wolverhampton Wanderers.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all, as that suggests I am a bit of a bandwagon jumper and a supporter of England but just an unloyal one. There is supporting and showing an interest, if England got to the scenario you describe would I show an interest? Of course I would, it is natural.

But you said this 10 minutes ago,

I would just like to place on record right now that I show absolutely no interest in international football and the whole hype for England.

That suggests you're a bit of a bandwagon jumper, doesn't it?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you said this 10 minutes ago,

That suggests you're a bit of a bandwagon jumper, doesn't it?

No. I understand how my two posts reading them as you have quoted may be contradictory but I still don't agree. If England went out within three games this month I would not bat an eyelid, the same way I wouldn't should they win it. If they get to the Semi/Final would I watch? Yes, but that is also in the same way as I would probably watch the Britain's got Talent final or the grand national. But in those examples of how I wouldn't cry if my favourite act lost in BGT or bet stupid amounts on the national I also wouldn't be painting my face and wearing nothing but an England flag for the final of the tournament.

Any clearer?

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've quite enjoyed the games I have watched so far.

I thought Ireland/Croatia was a bit tedious. Mainly becuase Ireland looked like the international version of WWFC last season.:D

Germany look the usual efficient, clinical machine.
Holland promising much but failing to deliver again perhaps.

I would like to think Hodgson can make England, 'England', again but I just dont think we have the players now.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank God Oxlade Chamberlain is playing and not the dreadful Downing.

D

Danwolf

Downing should be nowhere near the squad let alone the 1st eleven.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Downing should be nowhere near the squad let alone the 1st eleven.

Agreed. Put it this way would he have got in the squad if he played for a lower club than Liverpool last season?
I think not.
He was dreadful last season. He didn't even get an assist for Liverpool. One of the most uninspiring wingers I have ever seen.

B

Bankswolf II

I'd have played him on the right ahead of Milner. All out attack!

Would inject a lot of pace next to young and oxlade we have Gerrard and Parker if hes fit to be the defensive midfield partnership so why not have a pacy attack add Wellbeck to that and at least we have a chance

Adding in Downing and Milner is basically just an excuse to go negative

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be supporting England this evening, don't expect Wales to reach a major championship in my lifetime!
I really hope they don't play Oxlade down the left, so basically out of position. For an 18 year old that couldn't get a start in the Arsenal team it will be too much to ask of him to play an international match against France out of position. I don't see any reason why England should pick any player in not their favoured position as they have loads of talented players to choose from.
It looks like they are going with the work rate and defensive qualities of Milner on 1 side so let him play on the left and A O-C down the right flank.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward and trying to be positive but I just know know England will play pass ball along the back 4, with absoluely no penetration, then a long aimless kick up field that goes to no one in particular. How are we/who is going to score? This is all so very predictable - a mind numbingly dull 1-0 defeat I'm afraid.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be supporting England this evening, don't expect Wales to reach a major championship in my lifetime!
I really hope they don't play Oxlade down the left, so basically out of position. For an 18 year old that couldn't get a start in the Arsenal team it will be too much to ask of him to play an international match against France out of position. I don't see any reason why England should pick any player in not their favoured position as they have loads of talented players to choose from.
It looks like they are going with the work rate and defensive qualities of Milner on 1 side so let him play on the left and A O-C down the right flank.

Trouble is they dont seem to have loads of talented players to play on the left in this squad if Downing is there! How the hell Adam Johnson didn't go I will never know. He could do with leaving Man City and getting regular first team football elsewhere but he is still miles better than Downing. Imagine if we could have played Chamberlain on the right and Johnson on the left tonight!

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I will be supporting England too. I hope the Krakow (where I live) air will do them good. Come on England!

This is a bit pessimistic as you have some very talented players. Bale and Ramsey would walk into most of the teams taking part in the current Euro. There are some other good players, our Wayne or Allen from Swansea for example. They are still young and I expect Wales to be in there, when they extend the Euro to 24 teams at the very least.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. I understand how my two posts reading them as you have quoted may be contradictory but I still don't agree. If England went out within three games this month I would not bat an eyelid, the same way I wouldn't should they win it. If they get to the Semi/Final would I watch? Yes, but that is also in the same way as I would probably watch the Britain's got Talent final or the grand national. But in those examples of how I wouldn't cry if my favourite act lost in BGT or bet stupid amounts on the national I also wouldn't be painting my face and wearing nothing but an England flag for the final of the tournament.

Any clearer?

Why don't you bugger off out of our thread for discussing the game for a start? We don't care whether you have an interest or not. If you don't then don't post on the thread about the game. It really isn't very difficult!

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is they dont seem to have loads of talented players to play on the left in this squad if Downing is there! How the hell Adam Johnson didn't go I will never know. He could do with leaving Man City and getting regular first team football elsewhere but he is still miles better than Downing. Imagine if we could have played Chamberlain on the right and Johnson on the left tonight!

Johnson hasn't played that much football and he offers no workrate or defensive cover which we will need against the more talented teams such as France tonight.

Interesting fact about Downing, he was the second highest chance creator in the prem last season (even if none of them were converted). Second fact, I can't remember if that fact was all prem players or just English ones but it is a good one nonetheless. He isn't a very exciting player though.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why play Milner on the wing- he offers nothing.

He doesn't offer nothing. He clearly offers defensive cover, tactical discipline, workrate and he can cross the ball and occasionally beat a man. When you are facing Ribery on the French left flank, the winger needs to put in a defensive performance to restrict his impact if possible.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't offer nothing. He clearly offers defensive cover, tactical discipline, workrate and he can cross the ball and occasionally beat a man. When you are facing Ribery on the French left flank, the winger needs to put in a defensive performance to restrict his impact if possible.

I would rather let France worry about us rather than us playing boring rubbish! This has been the trouble with the England team for the past few years. Too much worrying about opposing teams and not enough flair or skill in the side. Walcott is a hard working player and could easily back up the full back if required as he does for Arsenal. He will also offer far more in an attacking sense than Milner who in reality is more of a central midfielder now than a winger.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion we will make the semis at least, it might not be pretty but who gives a toss?

I wouldn't have bothered watching if 'Arry 'ad got 'ver job, innit, but I was chuffed when Mr Frend ov ver Meeeja was left out in the cold and they actually appointed someone with international experience who knows what he's doing.

All this old $$$$$$$$ about Riobloodyferdinand being left out is only sour grapes on the part of most of the media because their mate 'Arry didn't get the job.
And Hodgson is far more intelligent than nearly all the reporters I've ever met* put together, which probably scares them witless - so like most bullies, they are straight on the attack in a group.

Having said that, I won't be heartbroken if we get dumped out in the group stages - it's hardly like Wolves being relegated.

*Unfortunately, I've met loads :-(

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I trust Hodgson's judgement. Based on the current shallowness of the squad we have to go defensive while hitting people on the break with pace and skill. Oxlade is obviously very young and inexperienced but offers the unexpected and a bit of flair. Couple that with Young and Welbeck's mobility/pace and perhaps they can do a little bit of damage up front in the absence of Rooney. Otherwise two defensive midfielders to cover the back four and help control midfield. Fling Walcott on in the last half hour to stretch the French defence. But the main thing is a resolute, mean, defence to frustrate France's flair players. When Rooney gets back consider a slightly more attacking formation.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why play Milner on the wing- he offers nothing.

I could be wrong but I don't think he'll be playing as an out and out winger. I reckon he'll be more central with Young and OXlade interchanging out wide.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would rather let France worry about us rather than us playing boring rubbish! This has been the trouble with the England team for the past few years. Too much worrying about opposing teams and not enough flair or skill in the side. Walcott is a hard working player and could easily back up the full back if required as he does for Arsenal. He will also offer far more in an attacking sense than Milner who in reality is more of a central midfielder now than a winger.

That isn't how you win tournaments though. If we had good enough players then fine but Walcott really is mediocre at this level. I can assure you that we couldn't field any lineup even without any of the injuries or suspensions that would have the French worried. Our best bet is to keep it tight and counter through Young, Welbeck and Ox-C or via a set piece. Today is not the day to open up because France would tear us apart. Your last point is interesting because that is part of why he is in the team. He can go compact and mix it in the centre of the park when needed with Young dropping wide, another thing he offers.

P

Paul76

I'm really looking forward to this game. I've got high hopes for England under the management of Woy.

This tournament might be a little to early for Woy and some of the younger players, but as England fans we need to simply enjoy it and get behind the lads.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of this matters all of you have overlooked the fact that the game is on ITV, we never win in major tournaments when those bloody idiots are doing the coverage.* They'll probably miss the goal after accidentally going to an advert for Tampons or something anyway.

*There may be evidence to the contrary; however I refuse to allow the use of it against my argument.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of this matters all of you have overlooked the fact that the game is on ITV, we never win in major tournaments when those bloody idiots are doing the coverage.* They'll probably miss the goal after accidentally going to an advert for Tampons or something anyway.

*There may be evidence to the contrary; however I refuse to allow the use of it against my argument.

I know what you mean. I really dont like the ITV coverage. For starters Chiles presents the programme and I really dont like the main commentator who seems to think he is a comedian and then you've got ole big nose Townsend as co commentator on England games. Why?
Stick to Ireland Townsend!

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion we will make the semis at least, it might not be pretty but who gives a toss?

I wouldn't have bothered watching if 'Arry 'ad got 'ver job, innit, but I was chuffed when Mr Frend ov ver Meeeja was left out in the cold and they actually appointed someone with international experience who knows what he's doing.

All this old $$$$$$$$ about Riobloodyferdinand being left out is only sour grapes on the part of most of the media because their mate 'Arry didn't get the job.
And Hodgson is far more intelligent than nearly all the reporters I've ever met* put together, which probably scares them witless - so like most bullies, they are straight on the attack in a group.

Having said that, I won't be heartbroken if we get dumped out in the group stages - it's hardly like Wolves being relegated.

*Unfortunately, I've met loads :-(

Nice post that skipper, makes a lot of sense to me.

UTW and Come on The England!

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh shoot, I'd forgotten it was on ITV, their coverage really is cak - please ignore my last post, I'm getting an early start on painting the bathroom, just in case Wolves drop the ludicrous DD charges ;-)

J

Jpwwfc

Why don't you bugger off out of our thread for discussing the game for a start? We don't care whether you have an interest or not. If you don't then don't post on the thread about the game. It really isn't very difficult!

Very well said

Back
Top Bottom