Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Squad

W

we8wba

Sterling, Lallana, Livermore called up, all okay but hardly world beaters at current. rather they called up proven players in the premier league for an important qualfier

added to the news that they didnt included nathan dyer as they believed he was welsh kind tops it off

A

andyc225

Lallana will be as good as Le Tissier - someone who should've got more than 8 caps.

W

we8wba

all well being good enough in future, play them in friendlies intergrate them

if lampard gets injuryed tomorrow after 2mins is he going to be good enough influence game in our favour vs strongest side in our group?

W

WasStefan

Sterling is in this squad for only one reason... To get a 5 minute cap so he can't play for Jamaica.

W

wolvo_boi

He was getting close to being called up by Jamaica, so yes I'd say it is primarily.

Not because he has played well and earnt it?

Brendan Rodgers asked Stuart Pearce not to select him for the U21's so not to expose him too much too soon but when the talent is there like Rooney there comes a time when if he is good enough he is old enough . . . this is the case with Sterling.

He will be a big part of Englands future and if he carries on performing well he will be a big part of Englands present.

W

WasStefan

Not because he has played well and earnt it?

Brendan Rodgers asked Stuart Pearce not to select him for the U21's so not to expose him too much too soon but when the talent is there like Rooney there comes a time when if he is good enough he is old enough . . . this is the case with Sterling.

He will be a big part of Englands future and if he carries on performing well he will be a big part of Englands present.

So you're telling me that if you were Roy Hodgson and you hear that it's likely Jamaica will call one of the brightest teenage talents for the past 10 years up shorty (baring in mind his mom wants him to play for them and also he himself has gone on record saying he would play for Jamaica) after hes played for all England youth teams before hand - that you wouldn't call him up an get him capped?

Yes he has performed very well but only played a few games. I reckon he will get a 5 minute cap and then we won't see him in the England squad for another few months.

I'd happilly be proven wrong though, as you said if you're good enough you're old enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dewsburywolf

So you're telling me that if you were Roy Hodgson and you hear that it's likely Jamaica will call one of the brightest teenage talents for the past 10 years up shorty (baring in mind his mom wants him to play for them and also he himself has gone on record saying he would play for Jamaica) after hes played for all England youth teams before hand - that you wouldn't call him up an get him capped?

Yes he has performed very well but only played a few games. I reckon he will get a 5 minute cap and then we won't see him in the England squad for another few months.

I'd happilly be proven wrong though, as you said if you're good enough you're old enough.

That being the case can't Sterling himself decline the call up?

W

WasStefan

That being the case can't Sterling himself decline the call up?

If he wanted to, but he hasn't. He was born in Jamaica though and obviously his family will be a huge influence on him. Maybe he realises the best thing for his career would be to play for England, more likely to get to world cups etc.

Get him capped!

The_Ned

Reaction score
If he wanted to, but he hasn't. He was born in Jamaica though and obviously his family will be a huge influence on him. Maybe he realises the best thing for his career would be to play for England, more likely to get to world cups etc.

Get him capped!

This! We don't want another Gareth Bale.

Lallana isn't a bad player. I did wonder why Jarvis wasn't called up though, especially now he plays for a more fashionable club.

W

wolvo_boi

This! We don't want another Gareth Bale.

Lallana isn't a bad player. I did wonder why Jarvis wasn't called up though, especially now he plays for a more fashionable club.

Especially as they won the World Cup

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit of both I think with Sterling. He's long been considered precocious and a huge hope for the future, the Jamaica call-up talk has probably been the catalyst. I rate him highly.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sterling, Lallana, Livermore called up, all okay but hardly world beaters at current. rather they called up proven players in the premier league for an important qualfier

What proven world beaters do we have in the PL ? None ?

R

robwolf

Sterling is in this squad for only one reason... To get a 5 minute cap so he can't play for Jamaica.

I said the exact same thing when i saw the news yesterday. You can see the kid has talent, but theres no way without jamaica sniffing around he would have been called up yet!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said the exact same thing when i saw the news yesterday. You can see the kid has talent, but theres no way without jamaica sniffing around he would have been called up yet!

It was only 18 months ago they said the same about Welbeck, when Ghana complained we only picked him to stop them doing so.
He's since played and scored in the Euro finals, yet has only played about 60 matches with loads as a sub.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jenkinson at Arsenal in the same boat (Finnish mother).

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lallana is good enough out the three of them Livermore i dont get he isnt that good

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lallana will be as good as Le Tissier - someone who should've got more than 8 caps.

Bold statement! Yeh Le Tiss should/could have had more caps, but he was another of a long list of superb players who didn't perform brilliantly on the International stage (granted he only had 8 caps). I remember reading something about him being criticised for his work rate and that his style 'didn't fit in' with International level football. It's amazing how many terrific players England have had that didn't have much success for England. Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler to name a few. It's a shame they were around in the same era as Shearer and Sheringham really. I think Lallana's a very different player to Le Tiss, a lot more lively for one!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Robbie Fowler was absolutely superb in his early years at Liverpool and the best natural finisher I have seen. He was hugely unlucky with injuries and that his best years coincided with Shearer in his prime.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the Liverpool love-fest continues... If Liverpool had an XI of English players, it would be the England team.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So is Jarvo injured then or not?

Believe so - think he got injured in training for West Ham as he missed their last fixture. Hopefully he gets a few call-ups as I'm assuming a percentage of the £3m+ add-ons are related to international caps - something he has every chance of gaining under Hodgson (though it is unfortunate that A. Johnson is now playing regularly and will potentially keep him out of the frame).

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bold statement! Yeh Le Tiss should/could have had more caps, but he was another of a long list of superb players who didn't perform brilliantly on the International stage (granted he only had 8 caps). I remember reading something about him being criticised for his work rate and that his style 'didn't fit in' with International level football. It's amazing how many terrific players England have had that didn't have much success for England. Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler to name a few. It's a shame they were around in the same era as Shearer and Sheringham really. I think Lallana's a very different player to Le Tiss, a lot more lively for one!

As much as he is disliked by Wolves fans Kevin Phillips is another who has always surprised me - 8 caps for England and not a single goal despite being one of the better natural finishers I have seen. Afterall he is still scoring 15+ goals for Blackpool at the ripe age of 39!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Robbie Fowler was absolutely superb in his early years at Liverpool and the best natural finisher I have seen. He was hugely unlucky with injuries and that his best years coincided with Shearer in his prime.

Completely. Dare I say it, some of Fletcher's one on one finishes have reminded me of Robbie Fowler. Not that I'm saying he's as good as what Fowler was, the guy was exceptional. Absolutely lethal finisher.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as he is disliked by Wolves fans Kevin Phillips is another who has always surprised me - 8 caps for England and not a single goal despite being one of the better natural finishers I have seen. Afterall he is still scoring 15+ goals for Blackpool at the ripe age of 39!

Totally agree with you.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed. How many of those 8 appearances were as a sub on for the last 10 minutes? We need a new standard. Goals per minutes on the pitch perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom