Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Euro 2012 Squad

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
To be named on 16th May. Other countries have announced larger squads which they will then trim. Can't help thinking this would be wiser for England as there are quite a few problems for Hodgson to sort out:

The Terry/Ferdinand situation
Strikers in the absence of Rooney
The alarmingly poor form of Gerrard/absence of Wilshire

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given his performance last night and his sending off vs Barca, Terry should be nowhere near the squad

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
Given his performance last night and his sending off vs Barca, Terry should be nowhere near the squad

Last night was amusingly bad!! But raises the question of who you replace him with.......

A

andyc225

Seriously, scrub out the England Squad Sheet heading at the top of the page and put in "list of players who are over the hill and whose best days are long since behind them".

Leave Terry at home. Bring in Shawcross or someone like that. Shawcross is a thug but at least he doesn't chase shadows like Terry was doing last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I looked at the Germany prelimary squad and minus the front players it is downright scary. I think they have 10-11 players I'd take ahead of any England player.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on the last 2 games I have a feeling Carroll should go. Along with Rooney bent and wellbeck as the strikers.

Then left to argue bout the likes of strudige young the ox Johnson Walcott for the wide berths.

T

Tettenhall Wolf

I wish Roy would leave osme of the old guard at home.

He probably wont though as he doesn't have that much time with the squad to prepare and still has another week of being the Baggies manager first.

I think I'd measure his progress by the WC qualification and tournament.

The media won't, I'm sure!

W

wolvo_boi

Ferdinand and Lescott for me and i say that as not a huge admirer of Ferdinand, Micah Richards right back also.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
Ferdinand and Lescott for me and i say that as not a huge admirer of Ferdinand, Micah Richards right back also.

Decent shout, think Lescott has improve quite a lot this season, looked particularly good vs United. Hard to choose between Walker and Richards

F

FLEET WOLF

Based on the last 2 games I have a feeling Carroll should go. Along with Rooney bent and wellbeck as the strikers.

Then left to argue bout the likes of strudige young the ox Johnson Walcott for the wide berths.

I have to say that I have been increasingly impressed with Carroll in recent weeks. He is bang in form and if you are going to take a target man type player, it is either him or Crouch. Probably I would take Carroll ahead of Crouch now (if we are going to take that sort of player), because to some countries he will be less of a known quantity.

The loss of Wilshere is a great shame. The midfield will now be the same old, same old. As for Terry, he shouldn't go and probably Rio shouldn't either and they certainly both can't go for obvious reasons. If we are to take one of them, it should probably be Ferdinand.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score

I'd choose Carroll too, certainly in preference to Crouch. Bent - NO, not convinced by Welbeck, feel Sturridge has gone backwards. Is Walcott gonna be fit? A Young has barely played during 2nd half of the season.

F

FLEET WOLF

Kyle Walker every day of the week at right back.

I have been advocating Richards for a while, but I think this season Walker has been excellent for Spurs, so he would be first choice for me. Walcott may even be fit for Arsenal's last game, so he should be fit. Roy Hodgson, looking afresh at things, may even consider Jarvis, who knows?

W

wolvo_boi

I would take Grant Holt

As for the right back it is a touch choice between Walker and Richards but i would go for Richards . . . wouldnt be dissapointed at all if Walker was to play right and Richards through the middle.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
i'd leave terry and ferdinand at home.

A

andyc225

I'd be disappointed if Roy took Downing, especially considering the fact that there are better options who actually score goals out there. Hint hint.

D

Dorset DeWolf

............................Hart............................
Walker...........................................Cole
..............Cahill................Terry....................

...........................Parker.........................
...............Gerrard............Scholes................

Lennon............................................Young

......................Carroll..............................

If we line up like this for the first game I will be happy

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been advocating Richards for a while, but I think this season Walker has been excellent for Spurs, so he would be first choice for me. Walcott may even be fit for Arsenal's last game, so he should be fit. Roy Hodgson, looking afresh at things, may even consider Jarvis, who knows?

It's not that I don't rate Richards its just that both his club and national managers have been critical of his ill-discipline when it comes to stayin in position and it's something he fails to learn from or is it a case of being to stubborn to listen to advice? Walker has worked hard and has obviously listened to all the advice given to him by his current and past managers as they all speak very highly of his attitude.

I this Hodgsons squad will lack any real surprises as he hasn't had any time with the younger players so will stick with the experience which will be a disaster IMO

B

Bankswolf II

Cole Lescott Cahill Richards

Subs
Baines Jones Smalling Walker

If I see Terry, Ferdinand and Gerrard anywhere near this team then I will weep

There are better players out their than the old guard, in terms of England 11 of the years gone by the only ones I would definetly pick are Hart and Cole

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hart's a shoe in along with Cole. The rest I think you could make cases for a few. I'd like Roy to do what Germany did a few years ago and bring a new look side with a view to future tournaments. The quicker the "Golden Shower" leave the international set up the better.

I'd definitely have Lescott at the back purely as he's been the most consistent English CB this season. Cahill/Richards/Smalling or Jones alongside. Kyle Walker RB for me.

Midfield three of Parker, Scholes (if poss) and Gerrard or Lampard (never both!).

Lennon on the right, Young on the left and Rooney up front.

Let's look to the future for a change.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Roy should do everything he can to persuade Scholes to come out of international retirement. If he did, I would go with:

Joe Hart
Kyle Walker, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole
Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes
Theo Walcott, Steven Gerrard, Ashley Young
Danny Welbeck

With Rooney coming in for Gerrard after two games. I'd leave Terry at home and the remaining twelve squad members would be:

Ben Foster, Robert Green, Micah Richards, Phil Jones, Leighton Baines, Scott Parker, James Milner, Daniel Sturridge, Adam Johnson, Jermaine Defoe, Andy Carroll, Wayne Rooney

Standby: Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Tom Cleverley

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
i'd leave terry and ferdinand at home.

and take who? Cahill at the minute isn't fit, if he makes the CL final that will reveal a lot IMO, Jones has been moved around far too much at United, Smalling looked good early season but has faded.

B

Bostin

Hart

Walker - Ferdinand - Lescott - Cole

Walcott - Parker - Gerrard - Johnson

Lampard

Carroll​

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carroll in the squad for me, IIRC there was a sniff from Wolves a few years back and of course for some on here he wasn`t good enough.

I`d take him in a shot.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roy Hodgson HAS to kick out all the 'must be' players which are past their sell-by date, e.g. Rio Ferdinand, Emile Heskey, John Terry, Ashley Cole - if we are to have any chance of winning a strongly competed for Euro Champs.

My England team would be this:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: Joe Hart
RB: Kyle Walker
RCB: Joleon Lescott
LCB: Gary Cahill
LB: Leighton Baines
CDM: Scott Parker
CDM: Gareth Barry
RAM: Adam Johnson
CAM: Frank Lampard
LAM: Ashley Young
ST: Danny Welbeck (After 2 games, Wayne Rooney)

Hart

Walker - Cahill - Lescott - Baines

Parker - Barry

Johnson - Lampard - Young

Welbeck

F

FLEET WOLF

Gerrard is nailed on to be in the team-I think he has been ordinary with Liverpool. but with players like Wilshere out, there is not much left in central midfield-I would probably take Scholes if he would go-he could always come off after an hour to be replaced by Milner, Barry type players. I would add that in an ideal world, I probably wouldn't take Gerrard.

F

FLEET WOLF

Roy Hodgson HAS to kick out all the 'must be' players which are past their sell-by date, e.g. Rio Ferdinand, Emile Heskey, John Terry, Ashley Cole - if we are to have any chance of winning a strongly competed for Euro Champs.

My England team would be this:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: Joe Hart
RB: Kyle Walker
RCB: Joleon Lescott
LCB: Gary Cahill
LB: Leighton Baines
CDM: Scott Parker
CDM: Gareth Barry
RAM: Frank Lampard
LAM: Ashley Young
ST: Danny Welbeck (After 2 games, Wayne Rooney)

I'm no fan of Cole, but he is still a very good left back. Baines, I like in the PL, but have not been convinced at England level. I wouldn't take Lampard but I think Hodgson will.

V Wolf

Reaction score
As far as defence goes it might be the time to take a leap of faith and leave Terry & Ferdinand both out and blood the next generation of defenders. In the next few years Baines, Jagielka, Lescott and Cahill between them are going to have to step up anyway to fill the gaps left by Cole, Terry and Ferdinand. Let Johnson, Richards and Walker fight it out for the RB spot. Realistically, if we can't use this tournament's lowered expectations to throw caution to the wind and test out a new generation of players we never will!!

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Cole, but he is still a very good left back. Baines, I like in the PL, but have not been convinced at England level.

Too true, while he might be a $$$$$$ of the highest calibre he along with Rooney is world class.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as defence goes it might be the time to take a leap of faith and leave Terry & Ferdinand both out and blood the next generation of defenders. In the next few years Baines, Jagielka, Lescott and Cahill between them are going to have to step up anyway to fill the gaps left by Cole, Terry and Ferdinand. Let Johnson, Richards and Walker fight it out for the RB spot. Realistically, if we can't use this tournament's lowered expectations to throw caution to the wind and test out a new generation of players we never will!!

Very good point, it should be viewed as a chance for the on the verge players to shine through and show they can deal with such high pressure matches. Let's remember the World Cup is only two years away and the likes of Ferdinand & Terry will be getting on to mid 30's...

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score

Richards would be a good shout for RB as he can also do a decent job at centre should the need arise.

W

wolvo_boi

Richards would be a good shout for RB as he can also do a decent job at centre should the need arise.

I wouldnt mind seeing him in the middle at all, especially alongside Lescott where they work together every day

A

andyc225

I'm no fan of Cole, but he is still a very good left back. Baines, I like in the PL, but have not been convinced at England level. I wouldn't take Lampard but I think Hodgson will.

This. Leighton Baines is a mid table Premiership player at best and has only really gotten a look in at international level because of the lack of English full backs playing in the Prem. It's a bit like Rob Green and Scott Carson - both total showers of $$$$e but both have caps, simply because there isn't anyone better than they are to cover Hart.

V Wolf

Reaction score
A good shout, if he can return to the kind of form he showed when he first broke on to the scene Richards could be a very useful player due to his versatility, just hope he doesn't end up like Carragher and suffer for not making a specific position his own. The LB slot does worry me though as I can still only think of Baines as a serious contender to take Cashley's place.

W

wolvo_boi

A good shout, if he can return to the kind of form he showed when he first broke on to the scene Richards could be a very useful player due to his versatility, just hope he doesn't end up like Carragher and suffer for not making a specific position his own. The LB slot does worry me though as I can still only think of Baines as a serious contender to take Cashley's place.

Keiran Gibbs once he has a season or 2 injury free.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there due to the lack of a skilful central attacking midfielder in the England squad now that Wilshere is gone. How about Leon Britton? You're probably thinking definitely not but what most of the best national teams like Germany & Spain have is a small, skillful footballer with fantastic passing abilities like Iniesta, Xavi, Ozil etc. Still not tempted?

This is from his wiki:

On 17 January 2012, it was revealed Britton had the highest pass completion rate in world football to that point in the 2011/12 season (93.3% accuracy); better than Spain's Xavi (93.0%).

He wouldn't be a risk either, highly experienced little player who's played in all four divisons with Swansea and has flourished in the premier league. In my opinion, atleast deserves a place in the XI of one of the friendlies in the pocket behind the striker role spraying passes left, right and centre.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I have to say that I have been increasingly impressed with Carroll in recent weeks. He is bang in form and if you are going to take a target man type player, it is either him or Crouch. Probably I would take Carroll ahead of Crouch now (if we are going to take that sort of player), because to some countries he will be less of a known quantity.

The loss of Wilshere is a great shame. The midfield will now be the same old, same old. As for Terry, he shouldn't go and probably Rio shouldn't either and they certainly both can't go for obvious reasons. If we are to take one of them, it should probably be Ferdinand.

I actually think that based on Roy's time at Fulham, there is a good chance of Zamora going as the targetman...

Back
Top Bottom