Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Eldest son to New Zealand!

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
my eldest boy leaves tomorrow. Has anyone else had the fruit of their loins go so far away with a fair chance they'll end up emigrating to the other side of the world? How do you cope? AND his flight takes him over Syria to Doha, sharing air space with Russian war planes!

E

Edgmond Wolf

New Zealand is supposed to be superb

My son went on a one year break when he finished university he loved all the places he visit too including Korea, Borneo, loads of islands

Just wish him well.....he is a man

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
my eldest boy leaves tomorrow. Has anyone else had the fruit of their loins go so far away with a fair chance they'll end up emigrating to the other side of the world? How do you cope? AND his flight takes him over Syria to Doha, sharing air space with Russian war planes!

My dad did, he loved it.

M

merseawolf

We emigrated to NZ in 1973 when i was 4. Lived in a place called Nelson was back home in 6 months Mum and Dad hated it!

D

Dundee Wolf

New Zealand is a lovely place. Had the pleasure of travelling around it and have mates that have emigrated there for a variety of reasons. I don't know how old your son is, if he has children etc. I found it too quiet for me personally but it's a wonderful part of the world. Kids seem to stay kids there longer than they would here. There's a great quality of life and as daft as it sounds it made me think "I bet this is what Britain used to feel like 30 or 40 years ago". All the best to him.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We emigrated to NZ in 1973 when i was 4. Lived in a place called Nelson was back home in 6 months Mum and Dad hated it!

How can you hate neslon?! its a veritable paradise :D And no I am not being sarcastic.

When coming to NZ just remember that the South Island is where its at, the North Island is a dump full of poseurs :D

I think the SI should declare independence

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's going to Auckland, initially to a hostel. Taking some recording equipment with him, as he's a musician. He's got about 3 bolt holes lined up in case things go wrong, including my old mate in Wellington. I've heard good things about North Island!

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's going to Auckland, initially to a hostel. Taking some recording equipment with him, as he's a musician. He's got about 3 bolt holes lined up in case things go wrong, including my old mate in Wellington. I've heard good things about North Island!

North Island is a dump, especially dawkland. Its what London is to England

South Island is where it is at :D Just One million people spread around a large island full of lakes, rivers, forests and snowy peaked mountains perfect.

The North Island needs to drift away from the South Island,the further the better!

1495047373282.jpg

Last edited:

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's more scenic in a Nordic way but there are rainforests in North Island and the archipelago between the 2 islands really starred on U.K. TV recently.

D

Deleted member 3518

Would love to do an England cricket tour to NZ, just need to find the money.:(

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My elder son is currently in Aus and about to take up a training post in Alice Springs! OP you have my sympathies!! Now NZ sounds a fab place to visit - AS though maybe not so much!!!

D

Deleted member 4382

I imagine NZ to be just like the Goyt Vally... plus one!;)

Hope everything pans out perfect for him.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's just landed in Doha, so we are waiting to find out if he can phone or text us. If he stays more than 6 months we'll visit if we have the money by then.

J

Jungleee

Off to NZ soon for 3 weeks...if your son has hostel tips etc that would be much appreciated Pengwern!

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Hope he has a great time out there. Its somewhere I would love to visit one day.
Must be hard knowing he's so far away though

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My sister is touring NZ as we speak, 3 weeks NI then 3 weeks in the South, she loving it :)

Yes so she keeps telling me :eek:

NZ and Aus both expensive as a tourist @Rhoswolf :(

Yip NZ is super expensive and especially if you want to do touristy things. I am really embarrassed at the prices some of the rip off merchants charge here for stuff on the tourist routes :( There are plenty of good, generous people here but the business folk are real vultures

He is getting closer every hour :D

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he has a great time out there. Its somewhere I would love to visit one day.

It doesn't feel that far when you're there, modern technology and consumerism makes it very familiar. Sky TV, BBC, the same football with the same commentators, cans of John Smith's bitter, paxo stuffing, vimto, pickled onion monster munch in supermarkets.
There's a great immigration museum in Melbourne charting the history of British and Irish immigrants, with mock-ups of boat cabins and 6 month voyages.
The stories are amazing, kids being born and weaned, people dying and being buried at sea, lack of water, scurvy and malnutrition.
Then the progression onto flights in the 1950's and 60's, even flying to Australia taking 3 weeks with about 13 stopovers in various countries.

Today you can do it in 25 hours with one stop, in a few weeks you can fly from Heathrow to Perth non-stop in about 18 hours, in the next few years they're hoping to extend direct flights from Heathrow to the East Coast where most people live. New Zealand's only a hop over the ditch, or they could go the other way round the world over the USA.
On Dec 23rd Pietersen played a Big Bash match at the MCG, he was in England for Xmas Day with his family and back on the pitch in Australia by the end of the same week. It's a much smaller place now, and very easy to visit.

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our daughter, eldest child 34, has been in Australia for 5 years now. Met and married a Tasmanian whilst on secondment as a Barrister and is now settled in Perth. I probably know how you feel Pengwern and I found it tough especially as we shared and have a lot of common interests, notably Wolves, cricket and music. Yesterday she was at the Optus stadium cheering on the Poms sat next to her green and yellow clad husband. I'm glad to say she's still fanatical Wolves.

C

Chch Wolf

I lived in NZ for 9 years - if you think it's expensive as a tourist, try it on Kiwi wages!! (Am I right Ricki??) You soon learn to prioritise your spending to maintain a quality of life..

I agree with Ricki too - visit Auckland and Wellington, (include the Coromandel & Bay of Plenty), but spend as much time as possible on the South Island.

Living in NZ wasn't all a bed of roses for us (especially losing our house in an earthquake and getting royally stiffed by the insurance ) but I would go back tomorrow.

By the way, I made a healthy second income as a musician (well, a drummer) and have lots of contacts in the NZ music scene if he needs any pointers.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in NZ for 9 years - if you think it's expensive as a tourist, try it on Kiwi wages!! (Am I right Ricki??) You soon learn to prioritise your spending to maintain a quality of life..

I agree with Ricki too - visit Auckland and Wellington, (include the Coromandel & Bay of Plenty), but spend as much time as possible on the South Island.

Living in NZ wasn't all a bed of roses for us (especially losing our house in an earthquake and getting royally stiffed by the insurance ) but I would go back tomorrow.

By the way, I made a healthy second income as a musician (well, a drummer) and have lots of contacts in the NZ music scene if he needs any pointers.

NZ, like the UK, has a major imbalance between the haves (a small but filthy rich minority) and the have-nots. The top 10% are living the dream but those on low wages are really struggling just to keep a roof over their heads. Homelessness, once never seen in NZ is now very common, sadly.

After I have paid my rent I live on about 100 pounds a week for food, bills, etc etc. I don't blame anyone for my lack of dosh though, its just the way my life went for various reasons.

Oh did you have a house in Christchurch that got EQ damage?

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad just phoned us. Said how expensive it is, including $20 for a pack of cigarettes. It's the hottest summer there yet, too, apparently, 25 degrees at 10 am!!

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad just phoned us. Said how expensive it is, including $20 for a pack of cigarettes. It's the hottest summer there yet, too, apparently, 25 degrees at 10 am!!

The government have been increasing the tax on fags by about 10% every year or so.Their rational is the more expensive fags are the more likely people will give up...

Is this going on in the UK too?

yep been scorchingly hot lately

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went up the mountains the other weekend for a climbing trip and a friend made a video.

Gives you a good idea of what the South Island is like

C

Chch Wolf

NZ, like the UK, has a major imbalance between the haves (a small but filthy rich minority) and the have-nots. The top 10% are living the dream but those on low wages are really struggling just to keep a roof over their heads. Homelessness, once never seen in NZ is now very common, sadly.

After I have paid my rent I live on about 100 pounds a week for food, bills, etc etc. I don't blame anyone for my lack of dosh though, its just the way my life went for various reasons.

Oh did you have a house in Christchurch that got EQ damage?

When we first moved to Christchurch (from Picton) shortly after the September 2010 quake, we lived in Avonside - which obviously only lasted until 22nd Feb 2011..... we lived in the broken shell for another 3 months while it shook itself to pieces before we managed to move out to a rental in Lincoln.

EQC eventually paid out for the red zoned land, but as the insurance company deemed the structure technically repairable, they wouldn't pay out the full amount - we ended up about £80k down. Add to that the ridiculous cost of rent in that booming market and it was really really tough.

That said - we loved our time there, Kiwis generally but Cantabrians particularly, are the most resilient, hard working, tough-as-old boots, warm hearted, generous souled people I have ever met, I miss the sense of community I felt in NZ, I miss the 'can do' / 'have a crack' attitude, and the feeling that the people I worked with were a band of brothers both in and outside of work.

The only thing I missed during my time in NZ was........ The Wolves. I missed going to the Molineux, I missed the rivalry and banter, but I took my role as a 'NZ ambassador for the Wolves' very seriously!

Tomcat

Groupie
Reaction score
My eldest son went to NZ 2 years ago. Only intended to do a few months backpacking but loves it there & has no plans to come back to UK. We went to visit him last March - its a fantastic place & don't blame him for wanting to stay. He's in Queenstown. Spends his spare time mountain biking or snowboarding. He gets to see the Wolves when we're live on tv but its the middle of the night for him. I recently sent him his Wolves tops so he can spread the word.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in Australia for 2 years and had the benefit of visiting NZ for 3 weeks and absolutely loved it. Beautiful country, expensive tho! Absolutely great people.

As for Australia, absolutely hated it. Was the worse 2 years of my adult life. Ive had the luck with my job that ive lived all over Europe the last 20 years (mainly eastern europe) and jumped at the chance to go to Aus. Big mistake, people are vile and hostile. Zero nightlife, not a great deal to see and do. If it wasnt for the fact I had to be there for the full 2 years id have been gone in 3 months. Once contract finished I went to Poland, now thats a great country!

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in Australia for 2 years and had the benefit of visiting NZ for 3 weeks and absolutely loved it. Beautiful country, expensive tho! Absolutely great people.

As for Australia, absolutely hated it. Was the worse 2 years of my adult life. Ive had the luck with my job that ive lived all over Europe the last 20 years (mainly eastern europe) and jumped at the chance to go to Aus. Big mistake, people are vile and hostile. Zero nightlife, not a great deal to see and do. If it wasnt for the fact I had to be there for the full 2 years id have been gone in 3 months. Once contract finished I went to Poland, now thats a great country!

Good see someone knows the truth about Australians :D

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have relatives in Australia, one who works in the diplomatic service, I visited the place in 2002 and I wouldn't want to live there.
Not all Aussies are vile though I met 4 that were ok.

Back
Top Bottom