Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ebanks-Blake...

Tired&Emotional

Groupie
Reaction score
is better than Kevin Doyle.

I know many of you will disagree with me but over the last 3 games can you tell me what Doyle offers that Ebanks-Blake doesn't?

On current form he is holding the ball up just as well but also drives forward with the ball at feet, provides goals for the team (Hunt, vs Birmingham and Ward, tonight) and, when he gets a chance, scores.

For me Doyle has a hell of a fight to get back into the team.

W

wolvo_boi

The question mark for me is can we cope playing 4-4-2 week in week out as with the support, that front 2 of Ward and SEB is our best front line. I said after Blues we looked good, i said after Wigan i had no problem with them 2 up top and before tonight kicked off i said the same.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had that little bit extra tonight which makes him look like he can really do it at this level

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The penny does seem to have dropped. He is an absolute handful now wheras before he was falling over. Making goals as well. Totally superb.

O

Oldgoldwulf

Can Doyle displace Ward...??

That's the real question.......

;o)

B

Bostin

With Doyle in the team, we tend to hoof it more. No coincidence that now SEB is up top, we play it on the deck alot more. Admittedly it comes off Wardy's bonce alot, but playing with those two up top gives us another dimension.

Superb.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
We have won more games when Doyles not been in the team!!

At least Wardy gets in the box - unlike Doyle who seems to play most of his football on the wing!!

Who'd have thought it our best forward line Steven Ward and SEB

Last edited by a moderator:

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hold my hands up to Sylvan for what I said about him last season - that he is not Premier class because he failed to come off his marker. He has certainly learned how to do that this season against some of the best centre backs in the League. He has outfought two hard-nosed centre backs in red tonight, come out of their tackles with the ball at his feet and threaded a beautiful ball through for Ward to score from. I've not yet seen Doyle look up to see another Wolves player in space or making a run.

F

FetishWolf

Desire is the key ingredient. Did SEB have enough last season and does Doyle have enough now?

A

Ale

He is definatly looking the part in the prem now as far as doyle is concerned unfortunatly i dont think his performances have been anywhere near as good this season and i would not be suprised (i dont want him to go anywhere) to see him move in january

B

Bostin

I hold my hands up to Sylvan for what I said about him last season - that he is not Premier class because he failed to come off his marker. He has certainly learned how to do that this season against some of the best centre backs in the League. He has outfought two hard-nosed centre backs in red tonight, come out of their tackles with the ball at his feet and threaded a beautiful ball through for Ward to score from. I've not yet seen Doyle look up to see another Wolves player in space or making a run.

To be fair to Doyle, when he was starting for us he would have only had Jarvis in an advanced position.

Now we play with Ward just off the main striker, and both Jarvis and Hunt alongside him regularly. Hunt in particular ALWAYS seems to be in the box when the ball is on the opposite flank, which is fantastic to see.

D

Dorset DeWolf

Seb is back to being our main man and rightly so! Doyle is now 3rd choice

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to KD, I see a hell of a lot of his skills now displayed by SEB - I'm sure SEB has learnt a great deal from KD and only now is he putting it into practice. He has come on massively in recent weeks.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it tonite, sell Doyle for 8 million in the window if we can put that money into improving the side in other positions. Doyle, fletch and ward will do the job up front and we can invest in defenders and midfields.

B

Bostin

For god's sake, get a grip some of you! A couple of good performances from SEB and suddenly we don't need Doyle?

What happens if he gets injured?

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't be so quick to slag Doyle off, he is a class act, he kept us up last year to a large extent on his own. I said last year SEB would be back as did a few others, and Doyle is no different.

B

Brandons gramps

Bloody marvellous! He's hitting great form just in time to get nicked in the Jan window !! :eek:

B

Brandons gramps

I've said it tonite, sell Doyle for 8 million in the window if we can put that money into improving the side in other positions. Doyle, fletch and ward will do the job up front and we can invest in defenders and midfields.

To be honest - I can't see any team letting us carry on playing Doyle after they've bought him for £8mill.......

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For god's sake, get a grip some of you! A couple of good performances from SEB and suddenly we don't need Doyle?

Exactly pal. Some people are so short sighted its unbelievable!!

W

wolvo_boi

Fletcher can dissapear into the night for me. The 3 we have now are all ahead of him imo.

Could do with a little poacher type player like Earnshaw was, maybe a little gem from league 1 or 2 that Mick seems to be able to spot.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree that SEB looks like he has learned loads from Doyle's hold up play. But hey, let's keep them both!

But, as John Barnes said tonight amidst his Liverpool obsession, "Ebanks Blake dominated the two Liverpool centre backs tonight, and that shouldn't happen"

Guess what. It did!

May never go to bed :D

wolf of sedgley

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus christ:rolleyes:

Can everyone on here please starting engaging their brain for more than one nanosecond before they type please!

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus christ:rolleyes:

Can everyone on here please starting engaging their brain for more than one nanosecond before they type please!

Agreed - Have most of the posters here forgotten what Doyle managed to do match after match without having the benefit of a vastly improving central defence and two good wingers??

Doyle is a far better striker than SEB in virtually every area. Sure SEB has improved and yes Kevin Doyle is not quite as sharp as he was last season but FCS people now we have 2 good wingers again lets see what Doyle can do not having to run himself into the ground match after match....

IMO we need Doyle, SEB and a more frequently used Fletcher [he is a versatile player after all] we could also do with a quality 4th striker [no - not Marcus bloody Bent].

Four good strikers is about the norm for any Prem club....

S

singwolf_1

End to end stuff - even on a molmix thread!

Folly to say we can sell Doyle after everything he did last season. His goals kept us up. SEB went through last season what Doyle is going through this season - loss of sharpness and no touch of the green.

We had the same discussion late last seaons/early this season when everyone decided that Jones was the new messiah and the Milijas was dispensible.

Players get injured, players lose form, players need a rest. We need to strengthen the team not weaken it. Now is not the time to sell.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
The best thing about this thread is that we have a couple of VERY good centre forwards in Doyle and SEB and choosing between them is a high class problem.

Don't forget there have been times in the past where we've not been quite so blessed with talent...

p.s. I still think Fletcher will come good and make this thread even more interesting too :D

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Doyle we gained 9 points in 15 games.
Without Doyle 9 points in 4 games.
I really like Doyle, but we play too far off him. When he plays, we lump big balls to him and the is no one within 30 yards of him so he has to hold the ball up. With SEB we seem to attack in numbers. If we could find a way of playing both of them we will easily stay up.

M

Mark MacKay

Is Doyle actually injured? Maybe not! Wouldnt want him to move on but we now have another striker on our books - step forward Stephen Ward !

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen some $$$$ on here but this little gem should surely get an award;

''Fletcher can dissapear into the night for me. The 3 we have now are all ahead of him imo.

Could do with a little poacher type player like Earnshaw....''

ffs!!!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle is class and no way should we sell him. Some people here have completely lost it! Unbelievable stupidity even by MolMix standards.

SEB has done well in a few matches, long may it continue. But we want competition for places up front and now he is a real challenger to Fletcher and Doyle which is great. If Ward can now establish himself as a FORWARD also then we have some excellent choices up front and that should save Mick and the club a lot of money.

People complain about players' lack of loyalty to their clubs and then you get supporters who disown their best players five minutes after they have almost singlehandedly kept the team afloat.

R

reanswolf

Can't believe some of the fickle comments on here. Doyle is a great player who gives 100% for us.

I would absolutely devastated to see KD go, he has so much to offer to the club and the way some on here are disrespecting his previous and potential input is quite frankly appalling & scary.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think that anyone is disrespecting KD, but the question is IF we could improve other areas of the team by selling KD and making us a better team, is it the right thing to do?
If we could buy a good defender and left back with that money then that would improve the team and we'd still have Seb, Fletcher, Wardinho, Vokes, Keigh,hoff on the books..

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

stick to rugby mate.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think that anyone is disrespecting KD, but the question is IF we could improve other areas of the team by selling KD and making us a better team, is it the right thing to do?

we dont need to sell him for the money though do we. we have funds already. just stop tlking $$$$ immediately.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's needs to be said that Doyle has placed almost exclusively as a lone striker and has had to do what SEB has done recently on his lonesome with no support.

There's very little between them imho and I want them both to stay at Wolves.

H

haden-wolf

I think the crux of this is SEB is a better player than many on here believed he was.
IMHO he is also our most 'valuable' not to say he would cost the most rather I believe HE would be the one we'd need most should the worst happen.

No slating Doyle, but I think he has suffered of late, trying to win games on his own. (though I could see why) and I think Fletcher is a better finisher than Doyle, however Doyle is much admired by many other managers and for good reason

J

jbarnettuk1984

SEB was an absolute hero last night. I couldn't believe how many 50/50 balls he won and kept hold of up against their two defenders. Stephen Ward has a great footballing brain (yes, I $$$$ing said it!) and the two of them work off eachother perfectly. Wardy and game by game SEB seem to have energizer batteries in them because THEY DON'T STOP RUNNING. The thing is, they're now adding that bit of extra flair to their game too - we didn't see it at Wigan because we couldn't get them involved. This wasn't down to their game - but more because we lumped long ball after long ball. Last night, we played it through midfield - this is something we HAVE TO DO more often.

Anyway, just because I'm full of praise to SEB and Wardy - it doesn't mean I think we should sell Fletcher and Doyle. With those two added to the mix we really should have enough about us to stay in this league. We're talking £13 million worth of striker who can't get in the team because of the form of others - it's a great headache for Mick to have and it's up to Doyler and Fletcher to prove they deserve to be in the team from the off.

If we can add a couple of quality additions in defence/midfield in January - I can see us climbing the table with ease.

Back
Top Bottom