Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Early Leavers

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While its a relatively quiet period due to the period of mourning it could be an opportunity to discuss this.

Last week against Southampton I was in the North Bonk the guy next to me arrived probably about 6/7 minutes late, then he left 5 minutes before Half time, following the HT break it must have been another 6/7 minutes before he got back to his seat, then lo and behold he left a good 5 minutes before the end of regular time with the 4 minutes added time that made it 9/10 minutes he had missed, now if you total that up according to my reckoning he missed at least 31 minutes of the game, now I know we are not scoring loads of goals but to miss half an hour of a game, is it worth him bothering ?. I can understand people wanting to avoid queues to get a pint or 2 or a nibble at half time, but to miss that much of a game, that takes the biscuit.
I have on the odd occasion left 5/6 minutes early on midweek night games to pick the missus up from work when she is on shift but other than that I stay to the end.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While its a relatively quiet period due to the period of mourning it could be an opportunity to discuss this.

Last week against Southampton I was in the North Bonk the guy next to me arrived probably about 6/7 minutes late, then he left 5 minutes before Half time, following the HT break it must have been another 6/7 minutes before he got back to his seat, then lo and behold he left a good 5 minutes before the end of regular time with the 4 minutes added time that made it 9/10 minutes he had missed, now if you total that up according to my reckoning he missed at least 31 minutes of the game, now I know we are not scoring loads of goals but to miss half an hour of a game, is it worth him bothering ?. I can understand people wanting to avoid queues to get a pint or 2 or a nibble at half time, but to miss that much of a game, that takes the biscuit.
I have on the odd occasion left 5/6 minutes early on midweek night games to pick the missus up from work when she is on shift but other than that I stay to the end.
Sorry, dodgy curry the night before

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In all seriousness, it is frustrating and I hate it (especially as I try to book an end of row seat to stick my long legs out so everyone on the row needs to come past) but they’ve paid so it’s their choice

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
In the Steve Bull Upper I've heard that its due to the toilet queues... It might also be due to older fans having a weaker bladder....

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
In all seriousness, it is frustrating and I hate it (especially as I try to book an end of row seat to stick my long legs out so everyone on the row needs to come past) but they’ve paid so it’s their choice
As an aside, I've noticed when booking tickets in the North Bank, the outline of which seats are end of the row and next to the aisle on the website bear absolutely no relation to reality! Booked two tickets at the end of the row for the Newcastle game but my seat was actually in the middle of the row. It's happened a few times.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess people leave early to catch train or beat the traffic Iv done it 1/2 times over the years in fact missed the 2nd goal in the 2-2 with Everton because I had to get back to london it was pouring down got soaked but so happy we scored. The second game I think we played Newcastle it ended 1-1 Boly scored again needed to catch train so left on 90 mins I think we scored really deep into added time. I guess everyone has their reasons for doing it. So happens when Iv left we scored maybe il try it more often

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Agree can never get my head round paying all that money to miss any of the game,
I always remember the evening matches back in the day, having to catch the last train back to the smoke from the old Low-Level station,
the match used to end at 9.10pm and my train left around 9.15 so had to leave 10 mins early to walk there.
when i passed my driving test, my first thoughts were " I don't have to miss a minute,

Must admit tho v Glasgow Rangers in that friendly i had parked the motor behind the South Bank end, and looking at those Rangers animals, i decided to leave early to save the car ( with Wolves sticker in window) and me walking home lol.

Wolf-Pack

Reaction score
I never used to leave early, always in the ground for kick off and don’t go up at half time. But I do leave early due to personal circumstances at home and don’t want to be stuck in traffic.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I guess people leave early to catch train or beat the traffic Iv done it 1/2 times over the years in fact missed the 2nd goal in the 2-2 with Everton because I had to get back to london it was pouring down got soaked but so happy we scored. The second game I think we played Newcastle it ended 1-1 Boly scored again needed to catch train so left on 90 mins I think we scored really deep into added time. I guess everyone has their reasons for doing it. So happens when Iv left we scored maybe il try it more often
Back in the day when I worked near Coventry I'd sometimes have to leave slightly early to get to work if I was doing a Saturday evening. On the odd occasion I did, I'd never leave until injury time started. The only time I really missed anything was the 2-2 draw at home to Sheffield United. It was 2-0 when I left and 2-2 when I got to the car.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

i remember going down to see Col United v Walsall with some army mates stationed there .
Colchester were 2-0 up with 5 minutes left, so we left and went down the pub,
Ended 2-2 LOL

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If legacy fans aren't bothering to complete the 90 you can understand why Jeff ain't that fussed on them. And you have to ask yourself, unless there are pretty extreme circumstances such as health reasons, should someone missing that much of the game be allowed to call themselves a supporter, when actually they're merely a spectator?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
No problem with people leaving a few minutes early to get trains etc, especially a night game. I think we forget sometimes that a fair number of our fans travel to Molineux from right across the country.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We used to have a pair of brothers sat behind us .On a Saturday they used to go to the pub and whilst I don’t know how much they consumed but the one brother couldn’t handle it and invariably he fell asleep only to wake up at half time for a wee.It happened game after game and it was comical to see him propped up against his brother .If we scored he would jump up oblivious of what had happened ..It was quite funny really .

Last edited:

Timberrrr

Reaction score
Me and my elderly father moved from the south bank to the north bank 3 seasons ago due to my dad being unable to stand for too long.now he leaves 5 minutes before the end of each game to avoid the rush and the time it takes him to walk to the car.this is to the complete disgust to the 3 knobs who sit in front of us.apparently he's not a true supporter and doesn't get behind his team.i lost it with one of them recently only to be told to shut up.very brave when there's 3 of them
Imagine my delight when one of them walked out after st maximans late goal for Newcastle recently after moaning his way through the whole game.couldnt help but tap the other 2 on the shoulder and tell them their mate isn't a real supporter and doesn't get behind his team.
NOT A WORD

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No problem with people leaving a few minutes early to get trains etc, especially a night game. I think we forget sometimes that a fair number of our fans travel to Molineux from right across the country.
Trains are few and far between on night games, I dont do midweek games as It is just too much of a hassle

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i remember going down to see Col United v Walsall with some army mates stationed there .
Colchester were 2-0 up with 5 minutes left, so we left and went down the pub,
Ended 2-2 LOL
the famous one was the home match with Blues at Molineux, went 2.1 down in the last minute to the dodgiest penalty ever, yet won 3.2 with a classic Bull finish well into injury time...absolute bedlam, an old guy near me who hadn't spoken all season nearly fell off the top deck of the SB stand into the Blues fans he was giving them so much.
My two mates had left early to get back to the car parked by the Brewery, one of them has still not forgiven himself for being persuaded to leave. Since that day he has never left a game early and gets visibly angry when I mention it, which I try to do quite often. The equaliser went in when they were by the swimming baths, the winner when they were halfway down Bath Road, and it still makes me chuckle :D

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an aside, I've noticed when booking tickets in the North Bank, the outline of which seats are end of the row and next to the aisle on the website bear absolutely no relation to reality! Booked two tickets at the end of the row for the Newcastle game but my seat was actually in the middle of the row. It's happened a few times.
Yes, the seat plan shows the seats either side of the entrance but not from aisle to aisle. For example what appears to be the end seat of NU3 is actually next to the end seat of NU4 not an aisle.
Took me a while to realise it :D.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Yes, the seat plan shows the seats either side of the entrance but not from aisle to aisle. For example what appears to be the end seat of NU3 is actually next to the end seat of NU4 not an aisle.
Took me a while to realise it :D.
Ah, makes sense, thanks!

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, match day is match day,it's about the match and nothing else. I love football and I very much like a drink,but I don't mix the 2 on match day, I want to watch the whole match and have a coherent memory of it all, and that's how I've always felt about it.

Some people,every match,no matter what the KO time, they arrive 5-10 minutes in. It makes you wonder whether they ever arrive for work on time in the morning, if they can never make 3pm on a Saturday afternoon!

In 25 years in the North Bank I've only ever left a match early once,due to train times, so please, not all of us North Bankers are serial early leavers.

Dawnwolf

Reaction score

Last week against Southampton I was in the North Bank the guy next to me arrived probably about 6/7 minutes late, then he left 5 minutes before Half time, following the HT break it must have been another 6/7 minutes before he got back to his seat, then lo and behold he left a good 5 minutes before the end of regular time with the 4 minutes added time that made it 9/10 minutes he had missed, now if you total that up according to my reckoning he missed at least 31 minutes of the game, now I know we are not scoring loads of goals but to miss half an hour of a game, is it worth him bothering ?. I can understand people wanting to avoid queues to get a pint or 2 or a nibble at half time, but to miss that much of a game, that takes the biscuit.

Sometimes when the game is tight , end to end and u can see a goal coming in the last few mins i think , why are people leaving . So i sympathize with your point.

However, people buy a ticket for whatever reason they choose; beers in the pub, get out the house, social company, just love football but ultimately its their choice to leave whenever they want.

Its a hobby/enjoyment/release from the day to day and if person x has got what they want from the day then so be it.

Just a footnote, I left after the whistle last game, parked Foxs Lane, took me an hour to leave the car park. No stress i had nowhere to be this particular day. Needless to say i probably won't park their again. But others may do, and may have somewhere to be so that few mins b4 the whistle could take an hour off the journey.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only time I left a home game early was McCarthy's first return to Molineux under Solbakken. I stayed to give Mick an ovation with no intention of hanging around after the **** show on Boxing Day against Peterborough but after we started alright I thought nah I'll stick it out. Then Cresswell walks through our defence unchallenged and lashes it in after Ikeme has already made 5-6 decent saves and I just lost it and walked out. I was coming up from Corby for matches at the time so it wasn't even a bad journey, I just couldn't be ***** with it. Funny I'd had a few quid on us to go down early in the season and got pretty decent odds on it - financially every pitiful performance was increasing the likelihood of making a very nice return. Not only that, I was betting on us to lose by two clear goals most games - I was walking away from games up, collecting my winnings absolutely apoplectic. I had a new patio and still would have lamped Morgan if I'd got near him at the end of the Burnley game. Mad times!

Only other time I left early was Fulham away under Mick. I'd come to the game in a t-shirt and within about 15 minutes the weather changed and it was lashing it down, which was fine until we were 5 down at half time. Rest of the game was spent in Walkabout Fulham Broadway. No anger that time, I was too ****faced.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

****es me off no end when I have to keep getting up to let people pass. It's always the same faces

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its pretty simple really, the match day isn’t just about what’s happening on the pitch, if it was then everyone would just watch it on the TV at home.

Indeed, for the vast majority of my time attending Wolves games, the football part uses to be the only downside to the day.

Live and let let live.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
****es me off no end when I have to keep getting up to let people pass. It's always the same faces
There used to be a guy who sat in the middle of my row in the South Bank who arrived 10 mins late to every game. He'd be burping and farting beer fumes as he made everyone get up to pass and would even stop if anything happened on the pitch. There would then be repeat performances as he needed to go for mid-half slashes and pre-half time pint. I recall he would leave 10 minutes before the end of the game but then just stand on the steps blocking peoples view. Think even the stewards got fed up of him in the end and threw him out.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have done it once in memory when I had to get my train back up to Edinburgh. No choice but to miss a bit as the alternative methods of getting home cost a fortune or took overnight!

Circumstances can’t be helped sometimes

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A friend of mine (sadly no longer with us) was once so mad that he left Molineux at half time and went to the pub, saying he would see us after the game. On that particular day Wolves were 3 - 0 down at half time to Leicester City, and we all know what happened next... :)

Suffice to say he never left a game early again.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 blokes in the Steve Bull, get in 10 mins in, go out to get a pint at 35 mins, back up on 55th minute, leave 5 mins before FT. Noone cares cos we all stand up anyway, just it's funny how much of the game they actually watch!
Not too bothered what people do, just a bit embarrassing when we've won and the team are celebrating to a half full ground.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the game goes ahead next week, I will have to leave at HT to be in good time to attend a charity meeting later in the afternoon.
Sometimes these things are unavoidable, but on a normal occasion I try to be there to the very end, although having to catch a train and then a bus does leave me with one eye on the clock, especially if there's an extra 8 minutes of time due to players chucking themselves on the floor during open play.
That dash from Molineux to the railway station was easy once upon a time, these days I'm risking a coronary. :)

Back
Top Bottom