Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Does Anyone Remember These Games?

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club won the league in 1958.

The following season 1959, it was won again, as well as competing in the European Champions Cup, which was lost in round one to ;

Shalke '04, at home 2-2 and away 1-2.

1960 saw the club winning the FA Cup, finishing second in the league and playing three ties in the European Champions Cup,

Prel. Voerwaerts away 1-2 home 2-0

Round 1 Red Star Belgrade away 1-1 home 3-0

Round 2 Barcelona away 0-4 home 2-5

The last result was a real shocker losing 2-9 on aggregrate.

How many on here were at any of those European Games? What memories are there of them? Especially the Barcelona game.

Following the success of the FA Cup win in '60 the club reached the SF of the European Cup Winners Cup in 1961, an infamous game IIRC against Rangers, losing 0-2 in Glasgow and drawing 1-1 at Molineux.

The QF had been against F.K Austria, losing away 0-2 and winning the home tie 5-0.

Anyone at any of those? I vaguely remember some consternation in Town with the home tie against Rangers, but was only a young boy and the memory is sketchy.

Also, looking at those three seasons it still seems inconceivable that the club should be relegated just four years later- after so much had been achieved.

I have said before the club has been mismanaged in one form or another for decades. Further evidence to back up my beliefs dating back fifty years?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
If you do the Barca museum they have the video of the game at Molineux on their interactive video screen

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just before my time BNW but I take your point on the management of the club. We pioneered Europe, we won the league and the cup but have yo yoed dramatically ever since. With our then position, status, fan base we should have been up there with Utd and Liverpool rather than Southend and Peterboro. We certainly should have been on a par with Everton and Villa, who, I think, have never dropped out of the top flight?

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just before my time BNW but I take your point on the management of the club. We pioneered Europe, we won the league and the cup but have yo yoed dramatically ever since. With our then position, status, fan base we should have been up there with Utd and Liverpool rather than Southend and Peterboro. We certainly should have been on a par with Everton and Villa, who, I think, have never dropped out of the top flight?

Villa were in the second division in the early 60s and had been in division 2 prior to that. I know that for a fact because Nigel Sims, ex Wolves goalkeeper was a friend of mine playing for them and used to bring me programmes from all the Villa away games. Everton have also been in the second division on more than one occasion. As far as I can recall the only team never to have been relegated from the top division since gaining promotion after World War 2 are Arsenal although even they spent time in the second division prior to that.
Went to a couple of the European matches mentioned, losing to Schalke on aggregate was a huge disappointment at that time, we should have beaten them.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal never gained promotion. They bought their way in and Villa were in the Second Division in the early 70s.

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was at the Red Star and Barcelona games as a youngster. I remember really enjoying the first but for obvious reasons not the second. I was too young to appreciate Barca's skills as they slaughtered us, just depressed that we were getting tonked. Wulfhere's clips make grim watching - except great to see a packed Mol from those days again.

H

howlin wolf

Never managed to get to any of the mentioned games. You have however summed up the reason why I first began to follow and support the Wolves. They were THE TEAM.

L

lthursfield

Prel. Voerwaerts home 2-0

Main memory of this game was when a Wolves player got injured the "trainer" raced on in tracksuit bottoms with a wet sponge enclosed in a football bladder. When a Voerwaerts player got injured three suited blokes came on carrying medical bags to the amusement of Wolves' fans.

A long time ago but strange what sticks in the memory viewed from the "kid's pen" in the old wooden North bank.

T

thaibri2

I was at al of the games, can remember in the newspapers before the Barca game one Real Madrid player saying we would beat them 5=0 at Mol, due to the fact that we had beaten them at Mol and drew in Madrid, how wrong can you get.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw all of the home legs of these games. The Barca game was the one that woke British clubs up to the fact that fitness wasn't everything. Barca had two half backs called Gensana and Suarez who we couldn't get near -- they absolutely slaughtered us.

The Rangers game I remember very well. The town was completely invaded, with drunken Rangers fans nicking stiff right left and centre. In particular the old C&A store which was in the original bit of the Manders Centre was targeted. I watched that game from the South Bank, aged 12. Loads of $$$$ed Glaswegians trying to attract the attention of the Rangers players -- weird. Felt really threatened and in danger from the tartan hordes -- couldn't get out fast enough at the end.

E

Edgmond Wolf

The club won the league in 1958.

The following season 1959, it was won again, as well as competing in the European Champions Cup, which was lost in round one to ;

Shalke '04, at home 2-2 and away 1-2.

1960 saw the club winning the FA Cup, finishing second in the league and playing three ties in the European Champions Cup,

Prel. Voerwaerts away 1-2 home 2-0

Round 1 Red Star Belgrade away 1-1 home 3-0

Round 2 Barcelona away 0-4 home 2-5

The last result was a real shocker losing 2-9 on aggregrate.

How many on here were at any of those European Games? What memories are there of them? Especially the Barcelona game.

Following the success of the FA Cup win in '60 the club reached the SF of the European Cup Winners Cup in 1961, an infamous game IIRC against Rangers, losing 0-2 in Glasgow and drawing 1-1 at Molineux.

The QF had been against F.K Austria, losing away 0-2 and winning the home tie 5-0.

Anyone at any of those? I vaguely remember some consternation in Town with the home tie against Rangers, but was only a young boy and the memory is sketchy.

Also, looking at those three seasons it still seems inconceivable that the club should be relegated just four years later- after so much had been achieved.

I have said before the club has been mismanaged in one form or another for decades. Further evidence to back up my beliefs dating back fifty years?

Those were the days my friend

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Villa were in the second division in the early 60s and had been in division 2 prior to that. I know that for a fact because Nigel Sims, ex Wolves goalkeeper was a friend of mine playing for them and used to bring me programmes from all the Villa away games. Everton have also been in the second division on more than one occasion. As far as I can recall the only team never to have been relegated from the top division since gaining promotion after World War 2 are Arsenal although even they spent time in the second division prior to that.
Went to a couple of the European matches mentioned, losing to Schalke on aggregate was a huge disappointment at that time, we should have beaten them.

Villa dropped down to Division Three for one season in the early 70's

B

Black Suit

Anybody want the programmes for the European Cup matches? Send me a private message. They've got to go.

T

thaibri2

Anybody want the programmes for the European Cup matches? Send me a private message. They've got to go.

I would if I knew how to send you a private message, wouldlook good in the bar along with my Wolves Real Madrid framed programme

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
Seasons in the Top-Flight from 1888-89 to end of 2011-12.
A total of 114 seasons.

109 Everton
101 Aston Villa
97 Liverpool
95 Arsenal
87 Manchester United
83 Manchester City
81 Newcastle United
81 Sunderland
77 Tottenham Hotspur
77 Chelsea
74 West Bromwich Albion
73 Bolton Wanderers
66 Sheffield Wednesday
72 Blackburn Rovers
65 Derby County
63 Wolverhampton Wanderers
60 Sheffield United
60 Middlesbrough
56 Nottingham Forest
57 Birmingham City
56 Stoke City
52 Burnley
54 West Ham United
50 Leeds United
46 Preston North End
46 Leicester City
34 Coventry City
34 Southampton
33 Portsmouth
30 Notts County
30 Huddersfield Town
28 Blackpool
26 Ipswich Town
26 Charlton Athletic
22 Bury
21 Queens Park Rangers
21 Norwich City
23 Fulham
16 Luton Town
15 Cardiff City
14 Wimbledon
13 Crystal Palace
12 Oldham Athletic
12 Grimsby Town
12 Bradford City
9 Bristol City
8 Watford
5 Brentford
5 Accrington
4 Brighton & Hove Albion
3 Oxford United
3 Bradford Park Avenue
7 Wigan Athletic
2 Darwen
2 Reading
2 Hull City
3 Swansea City
2 Millwall
1 Swindon Town
1 Northampton
1 Leyton Orient
1 Glossop North End
1 Carlisle United
1 Barnsley

J

jayeff17

Went to the Barca game couldn't believe how good they were we scored they just strolled down the pitch and scored again us Wolves fans were shell shocked I remember their fans wearing sombrero hats and banging big drums outside the Posada.
The Rangers match I was working at HM Hobson on the stafford road had to get the bus from by high level station saw Rangers fans getting off the trains drunk at 7:30 in the morning walking into town turning cars over, not so happy days

:willy::willy::willy:

Back
Top Bottom