Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Do we play too much of a high line?

L

liquidatorwolf

I've noticed that when the opposition are in possession, the two defensive midfielders push as far up as they can, fullbacks play that arch line, which usually leads to Stears or Berra being left in a one on one battle with the defender.

These were our championship tactics and I think Mick brought Rodge in to start playing a flat line which did not work so well under his system. Against the top teams where the forwards are a lot more physical, agile and athletic, maybe we can't hang onto these tactics.

Thoughts?

Hope this doesn't undermine the performance and well done TC

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think far more of a defensive problem is that we simply do not pick up the men outside the box, neither do we put a challenge in, instead letting them drive on and take a shot.

It's a huge weakness in our game and hopefully one TC can sort out.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that when we played higher up the pitch in the second half we were better today. It meant they had to shoot from a long way out.

The problem is that you can't tell from watching on tv as easily as if you are there how the defence is shaping up.

I think that our problems have been down to the fact that the back 4 hasn't been rigid enough. There have been unequal distances between the 4 defenders in the past which has meant we have been easily exploited at the back. Hopefully TC will work on sorting this out.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
We need to sort it, it is pretty evident that teams have sussed our weakness and are trying to exploit it.

Why not get George Graham in to sort the defence?.....

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our recurring problem is dwelling on the ball in our own half and giving away possession, which often leads to a goal. Henry and JOH do this most often, it seems to me, and Milijas has too, but not to the same extent. That often leads our defenders to hoof it because they don't trust the central midfielders to avoid this error. Our central midfielders need to find space better, sometimes by just standing still, and our defenders need to be better at judging when there is enough space for a short pass to one of them.

Spurs often elongate the game by their defenders dropping back, in order to create the space to find the Croat or other central midfielder. When that's done, that's the time to pus the line up.

A

Apocalypse Now

Our midfield dont follow runners which puts a great strain on the back four. Ohara is particularly guilty.

Much prefer to see defenders defend than rely on the eyesight of a Lino.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our recurring problem is dwelling on the ball in our own half and giving away possession, which often leads to a goal. Henry and JOH do this most often, it seems to me, and Milijas has too, but not to the same extent. That often leads our defenders to hoof it because they don't trust the central midfielders to avoid this error. Our central midfielders need to find space better, sometimes by just standing still, and our defenders need to be better at judging when there is enough space for a short pass to one of them.

Spurs often elongate the game by their defenders dropping back, in order to create the space to find the Croat or other central midfielder. When that's done, that's the time to pus the line up.

I have always thought that its our back four that tit around with it until eventually they are pressed and either hoof it or pass it to Hen to hoof

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SourCream&OnionUtd

Well, there was no reason not to play a high line today, and it likewise aided our possession. Both Ba and Cisse were dropping deep to build because Cabaye and Tiote just couldn't get into the game. People can say what they like about KH and Big Dave, but they outplayed those two in the middle today. And J'OH, despite still lacking fitness, was very sharp and swung the balance in our favor in terms of possession. Guthrie coming on made it even worse for them, did he find a teammate? Finally, Stears and Berra are both quicker than Johnson so it affords you the chance to push out a bit. Now if you've got to worry about someone like a Sturridge or an Agbonlahor, then yes, a bit more caution is warranted. But today? Terry got it right.

Back
Top Bottom