Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Derby County - in administration

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definition of a propa club?

Well I think for most fans it is a club that has good local support but not a glory-hunting club.

Think Derby, Forest, Wolves, Albion, Blues, Stoke, Pompey, Norwich, Southampton, Sunderland, Everton, both Sheffield clubs etc.
Definitely not those clubs with superstores out in the Far East and fans walking around with their shirts on around Asia, Central America, etc. screw those guys. :grimacing:

GigaWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard yesterday that they had agreed to a six point deduction. Is this part of the agreement?
Dont understand throwing petrol on a raging fire.... Its like a bank fining a customer for going overdrawn.. Just makes the situation worse and harder to recover from

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFP was supposed to stop clubs going into administration and limit the top teams..... Its not happening... The opposite is the reality..........
I don't think FFP was supposed to limit the top teams, more to prevent teams spending beyond their means.

FFP was introduced in 2010.

The previous 10 years to 2010 had lots more clubs going into administration than the subsequent 10. It could be argued that it's worked.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Derby fiddled their books.

Derby can get ****ed and go bust.
Their fans run the books in a first of it's kind accountancy co-operative do they?

Never much liked Derby, the place (I'm passing through it on the train soon on the way down - not rough enough to be interesting, not smart enough to be nice) or the club (identikit ground and daft fans) but I wouldn't wish going bust on even Blues or Liverpool!

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their fans run the books in a first of it's kind accountancy co-operative do they?

Of course they don’t, but like when Portsmouth won the FA Cup, the fans didn’t care when they were doing well whilst spending money they didn’t have.

Did they voice their concerns when they sold the stadium to themselves or were they laughing their tits off at this piece of creative accounting?

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to the fans forensic accounting isn't their job, and I'm sure when the stadium was sold a fair proportion of them were worried.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Got to be a better way to manage the football pyramid. owners seem to be risking clubs in search of the premier league gold, that widening gap from championship to premier league is highlighting the greed. The derby owner isn’t the only one, but how much will he suffer?
I blame Jimmy Hill, all this “short career“ crap has pushed wages for average players at average clubs far too high for them to maintain, we either need a wage cap or Points deductions for incurring debt.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe from a Derby supporting mate that Rooney is paid by the sponsors not the football club
Yeah I think that was part of the sponsorship deal, certainly in his initial playing contract, that there was an extra lump for him. Sort of like the ‘designated player’ provision in MLS where they can overpay massively for a couple of star names without breaching the salary cap.

It was just yet another way of trying to fiddle the books and FFP, because it’s not as though sponsorships aren’t one of the clubs’ main revenue streams upon which FFP is calculated.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember the old Derby County. The Baseball Ground. What a ****hole that was. After the second game of the season 90% mud with a tiny bit of grass in the corners. I did a lot of work for Ewart Chain and Leys Foundry that originally owned the ground. Called the Baseball Ground because Ol Man Leys had been to the States back in the late 1800 s and seen baseball played. Built the stadium for the game and nobody went. There were pictures in the old ground of baseball being played there. A right Victorian dismal pile.
Different venue now but for how long?

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Well you seem like a terrific human. Try to see it from a Derby fans point of view - using a thing that you may not exercise much - empathy. They have zero influence over the running of the club, it's the suits upstairs that cooked the books. The fans just continued to turn up and support.

We could easily be in the same boat in another life, and you're telling me you'd like us to get ****ed and go bust because of something Morgan or Fosun might have done once? Or even the Bhattis that nearly did kill us?

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Favourable Financial Protection is a more accurate meaning of ffp to me. It was, and is, to protect the status of a select few "elite" teams, with the lie of protecting clubs from themselves.

That several clubs have gotten in big financial trouble shows that ffp is ineffective in stopping clubs go bump, but is highly effective at helping to prevent overnight usurpers to the financial holy land of champions league football.

Have to feel for the fans of Derby as the situation they are in could easily happen to the majority of clubs if the wrong people gain control.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
...Try to see it from a Derby fans point of view - using a thing that you may not exercise much - empathy. They have zero influence over the running of the club, it's the suits upstairs that cooked the books. The fans just continued to turn up and support.

We could easily be in the same boat in another life, and you're telling me you'd like us to get ****ed and go bust because of something Morgan or Fosun might have done once? Or even the Bhattis that nearly did kill us?
Have to agree with this.
Its not 'Derby' fiddling the books because they are Derby. Its the people who in recent time have had control over the club
Wouldn't wish Derby out of business in the long term one bit.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to agree with this.
Its not 'Derby' fiddling the books because they are Derby. Its the people who in recent time have had control over the club
Wouldn't wish any club gone for good. Dropping down multiple levels for a relaunch? Well at least there is still a club and hope...

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to agree with this.
Problem of course is there has to be some meaningful punishment.
It's very unlikely Derby will dissappear ala Bury and I do hope they can sort themselves out with different owners.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember back in that first season under Fosun at Molineux and they had an extremely strong and expensively assembled side. Darren Bent, Tom Ince, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield all signed for big money and played that day, and they generally made us look pretty silly/rubbish for most of it (though we managed to put a bit of respectability on the scoreline at least by nicking a couple in the second half to make it 2-3). Quite possibly one of the worst first 45 mins I've ever seen from a Wolves side at Molineux. I remember thinking that day that we really had our work cut out and that they'd probably get promoted easily, but the gamble just never paid off for them.

In retrospect, they were quite reckless and paid a lot of money for a lot of mediocrity. Quite a contrast to see how things have panned out for both clubs since that day. The following season we absolutely rinsed them twice and haven't looked back.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll never understand the term "proper club"

Just seems to be a club who won a few trophies decades ago before sinking into mediocrity

No idea why this tugs on the heart strings of some and why it means we should feel any more sorry for their fans then any other team's
Sounds a lot like us tbh,and they won their trophies more recent than we did
I have no sympathy with them at all,they rolled the dice and failed,we were more fortunate as were others,fine lines some times

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well you seem like a terrific human. Try to see it from a Derby fans point of view - using a thing that you may not exercise much - empathy. They have zero influence over the running of the club, it's the suits upstairs that cooked the books. The fans just continued to turn up and support.

They were bouncing off the wall with anger werent they? Protesting and telling the owners to stop committing fraud? Nope, as long as things were going well, they didn't care, so **** em.

And yeah, If Fosun were committing fraud and it meant that the club when tits up then yup, I'd not bat an eyelid.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

OK, but is it fair that Man Utd can add another £100m to their debt without any comeback, yet smaller clubs just go to the wall?
I am no Derby fan but I feel for the local community. They deserve to have a football club.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** Derby. Proper club my ****. If it wasn't for Cloughie they would be **** all!

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And then they go and beat Stoke. Dont like Derby, but credit to their players.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading in the Athletic this lunchtime that the Wycombe Wanderers owner values the cost of relegation last season to be £10M. He also says that there could be another £10M of residual loss (not defined).

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading in the Athletic this lunchtime that the Wycombe Wanderers owner values the cost of relegation last season to be £10M. He also says that there could be another £10M of residual loss (not defined).

Wycombe Wanderers are now considering taking legal action against Derby County. I presume they will want the money they have lost because of being relegated.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been watching the NFL last two weeks and they have a salary cup.Each team allocated a certain amount of money to spend on the roster.I know it's different over their but I quite like the idea.Of course the big boys wouldn't like it but other sports doing the same F1 for example.
Seems a fairer way .It's only going one way at the moment and that's Top 4 than the rest.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK, but is it fair that Man Utd can add another £100m to their debt without any comeback, yet smaller clubs just go to the wall?
I am no Derby fan but I feel for the local community. They deserve to have a football club.
Right but they did it lawfully and didn't hide the fact of the matter.

SuziQ

Reaction score
I don't blame them one little bit.

I don't either, hope they manage to get something from it if they do choose to go that route. Really think the EFL should have punished Derby at the end of the season like they were supposed to.

Nige

Reaction score
As much as we want to be there .. The real fact is that The Premier League has killed English football. It always would and it has.
It even has different rules to the EFL (VAR) so the same game being played but with different rules.
Imagine 2 people playing chess in the PL and 2 more playing Chess in the EFL.. we are going to change things to make it more exciting for our TV money and **** the rest of you.

Back
Top Bottom