Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dean Smith Sacked: I'm inconsolable.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Wolves have never had a manager poached by another club and would be interested to know if Villa have. I suspect the majority of Villa managers fail rather than going on the greater things. Gerrard undoubtedly has his heart set on returning to Anfield so a move to Villa would be very risky. Realistically Villa can probably achieve 7th and are more likely to be slightly lower so even if Gerrard did a solid job it wouldn’t look great on his cv. He’d be much better off staying at Rangers and building on the work he has already done there.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gerrard is a difficult one to judge, it’s easy to say it’s a tin pot league (it is) and it’s a two horse race (it is) but Celtic were absolutely miles away from rangers when he was appointed both in squad quality and finances. He’s not had a massive spend and he’s closed the gap and won a title when it looked like Celtic could have won it for the next 5 years. That for me can’t be ignored.

Of course he’ll have a different pressure in the premier league and no one knows how he would cope with losing games and the pressure that comes with it.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tinpot league though.

I’d have taken him - as appointments in a per season tend to work a lot better than mid season.

Needs to win some games early on otherwise it could be a disaster for him
Tinpot league is a bit of a meme, surely? Plus results in Europe have been good aswell, the pressure of having to win each week probably just as equal to having a job in the Premiership.

Think so far he's shown to have some actual managerial chops about him which has been a pleasant surprise.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It feels like it would be a better move for Gerrard than it would for Villa. The chance to compete against Klopp, Guardiola, Conte, etc. must be very appealing. I think the jury is out on whether Gerrard is significantly better than Dean Smith. Gerrard did well to win the league last season but looking in from the outside it seemed Celtic imploded. This season could be a bigger test for Gerrard as Celtic seem to have found their feet again.

It would make the Premier League more interesting though and another big name could be in the dugout.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steven Gerrard's Villa. I'd hate to be referred to as anybody's Wolves.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Gerrard goes to Villa Park, and I am not sure he will, what would he do if Klopp left Liverpool? I would imagine the Anfield job is the one he wants more than anything else, so Villa might not have him there for very long.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Gerrard goes to Villa Park, and I am not sure he will, what would he do if Klopp left Liverpool? I would imagine the Anfield job is the one he wants more than anything else, so Villa might not have him there for very long.
He would have to do well at Villa before Liverpool wanted him though, and I am sure that Gerrard will know this so will want lots of money to spend at Villa, unfortunately.

wolvesandbooze

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Gerrard is a success at Villa, he will go on to become Liverpool's manager. If he isn't, Vila will suffer. Either way, they will suffer at some point.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Wolves have never had a manager poached by another club and would be interested to know if Villa have.
Taylor got the England job after taking Villa to runners-up in the league, but I think that's it.

Clipboard

Reaction score
Can anybody remember the last time we poached a manager who was in a job? There is probably a really obvious one recently but the only one I can think of is Mark McGhee!!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would have to do well at Villa before Liverpool wanted him though, and I am sure that Gerrard will know this so will want lots of money to spend at Villa, unfortunately.

But it shouldn't be looked at like that. Klopp may stay for another ten years at Liverpool, is Gerrard supposed to not risk an improved job and just wait for a possible chance?

Villa is a good job and if Gerrard did well it would boost his reputation considerably. No reason at all why Villa can't become the next Leicester or West Ham.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can anybody remember the last time we poached a manager who was in a job? There is probably a really obvious one recently but the only one I can think of is Mark McGhee!!
Clownders.... Really wish Donny had refused us permission...

Clipboard

Reaction score
Blimey that's right - unbelievable appointment - Cheers. Must have been cheap tho!! Other than the cost of relegation and paying off the bomb squad.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People seem to be working under the assumption that Liverpool would want him, even in the medium term future.
FSG aren’t sentimental chancers like the Yanited heirarchy, they hired Klopp because he was the best data driven fit for what they wanted, as in high energy, consistently overachieving to squad size and spend.
Unless Gerrard consistently proved that at Villa, they wouldn’t be after him.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gerrard seems to question his Rangers teams commitment when it doesn't go to plan.
Soon as he does that with the big egos at Villa it will go tits up

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gabby recons Villa have a top 6 squad :oops:

Almost in touch with reality. At least they've reigned it in from the "just slightly misfiring top 4 squad" they had as recently as a month ago. At this rate, maybe they'll accept a mid-table position by about 2050? They could get relegated and half the Villa fans would still predict them in the battle for the Champions League!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People seem to be working under the assumption that Liverpool would want him, even in the medium term future.
FSG aren’t sentimental chancers like the Yanited heirarchy, they hired Klopp because he was the best data driven fit for what they wanted, as in high energy, consistently overachieving to squad size and spend.
I can fully buy-in to the Glazers as chancers. Sentimental though? Like hell. They gave Gollum the job temporarily to appease the fans and he initially over-performed just long enough to get the gig permanently.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you know he’s Catholic? Or just assuming? Just asking Patricio is Portuguese and Buddhist
Actually, joking apart, l seem to recall reading somewhere that he's Muslim.

Edited to add:

Not what l saw before but says the same thing...

Last edited:

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can fully buy-in to the Glazers as chancers. Sentimental though? Like hell. They gave Gollum the job temporarily to appease the fans and he initially over-performed just long enough to get the gig permanently.
Sorry, you’re quite right, ‘chancers abusing sentiment’ is far more accurate, and more what I meant but didn’t bother to express properly.
I was also thinking how easily swayed Woodward is/was by anything shiny that gets quick and easy fan appeal to deflect from Glazers bleeding the club.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, you’re quite right, ‘chancers abusing sentiment’ is far more accurate, and more what I meant but didn’t bother to express properly.
I was also thinking how easily swayed Woodward is/was by anything shiny that gets quick and easy fan appeal to deflect from Glazers bleeding the club.
We are definitely on the same page.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, they'd be absolutely mad to do that. But you never know, their fans are sentimental even by football fan standards, so they may all but demand him.

If Ange Postecoglu wins the league this year with Celtic (even if they go unbeaten), I wonder if he'd be being talked up for every PL job going, and as a future Liverpool manager?

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I know Gerrad has done a good job at Rangers but anyone else think that this could be hilarious if he starts poorly ?. I could seriously see him 5 games in with 1 point on the board or something . Then then Villa would be in the **** and also Stevie G career would be like Lampards . Where he was loved at Derby but out of his depth at Chelsea.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently, according to one podcast I heard, the Glazers actually are obsessed with the history and sentiment of United. They feel they can use it to get them back to the top of the game and of course in turn generate money.
It’s one of the reasons they are stuck in this weird time warp and not progressing, constantly trying to recreate 1999, banging on about the “United DNA” and attacking football, with Sir Alex still having influence, Ole managing, Phelen as assistant, Carrick coaching, Fletcher as technical director, as well as at points having Butt and Giggs involved as well.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gabby recons Villa have a top 6 squad :oops:
reality-dreams-reality-dreams-father-dougal.gif

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently, according to one podcast I heard, the Glazers actually are obsessed with the history and sentiment of United. They feel they can use it to get them back to the top of the game and of course in turn generate money.
It’s one of the reasons they are stuck in this weird time warp and not progressing, constantly trying to recreate 1999, banging on about the “United DNA” and attacking football, with Sir Alex still having influence, Ole managing, Phelen as assistant, Carrick coaching, Fletcher as technical director, as well as at points having Butt and Giggs involved as well.
Interesting, TY.

Back
Top Bottom