Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dean Smith Sacked: I'm inconsolable.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard a Celtic fan the other night talking about Postecoglu. Saying that if he could come in with no experience in Europe, rebuild that Celtic side and then take the title away from Rangers in his first season when they were miles off it last, it really wouldn't paint Gerrard in a good light and would put a massive dent in his hopes, so jumping from Rangers could actually be good for him in that sense, protect his image rather than risk it being tarnished

Postecoglu may be one to watch though...
Interesting points. Rangers fans are not impressed with how quickly Gerrard has jumped ship, apparently not even a call to the club captain before his Instagram message according to fans. So if Celtic do wrestle back their dominance it might make Villa fans squirm if their team isn’t doing so well at the end of the season.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this appointment will go one of two ways. Very well or very badly. I don't think there will be a middle ground.
Completely agree. Klopp or Ince
He could be the next Pep. I doubt it....but it's certainly possible. His managerial career has been an unqualified success so far...I just think he's a bit of a dope.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems many a Villa fan are not too keen on Gerrard. They think they should have someone much higher up the managerial chain!

SPL is a two horse race every season. Often it becomes a one horse race. Postecoglou has never managed a European league side in any division. Apart from a stint in Japan where his team won the league he has spent his time in Aussie football including being their national coach at the World Cup. Yet he’s already got Celtic up with Rangers. Gerrard will find it a lot tougher as a manager in the PL.
Pfft. Really? Entitled and out of touch *********.

tbf to Villa, any appointment is a gamble. You can make a very low risk appointment and it can still go tits up...

Villa are a club who are the natural progression of a manager like Gerrard. He's done well at Rangers and he may well do well at Villa.

Let's not kid ourselves about the size of Aston Villa, if things click they could easily do a West Ham (I know they've not done much yet) or an Everton or a Newcastle (post John Hall).

Gerrard could be Vile's Nuno, hopefully the Spurs version. He could easily be a Brendan Rodgers (of Leicester - but hopefully Reading)

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday Rangers said they had not been approached by Aston Villa to get permission to talk to Gerrard. This has all happened very quickly, did Gerrard just walk out. Or did Rangers allow him to leave?

Villa have paid £4.5 million to Rangers in compensation apparently Frank so it must have been amicable.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never ever warmed to Gerrard. Don't really know why but I have never taken to him. He is stuffed now. I dislike him completely :)

He’d have been great in our midfield though Burton!

Know what you mean though. He’s always got a miserable look on his face and never seems to smile.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never ever warmed to Gerrard. Don't really know why but I have never taken to him. He is stuffed now. I dislike him completely :)
Me neither Burton. Perhaps it was because he was so average for England yet so consistently world class for Liverpool.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gerrard is a **** how he never got sent off for his 2 footed tackle on Doherty (IIRC) at Anfield I will never Know to make matters worse him and the ref laughed it off.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just how many decades is it since a manager's reputation was ENHANCED by being Villa manager? Gerrard will have his work cut out to leave Villa Park at the end of his time there without his reputation having been tarnished in some way.
He has more excuses if it goes wrong at Villa though!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went against the grain in the summer to say I thought he will go on to be a top manager so would be hypocritical of me to slate him now just cos he’s gone to Villa. Personally I think some people we underestimating him and that it’s a good appointment however I will happily, happily be proved wrong.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they offered 50m I’d take it
You might.... Whether Jeff et al would... Well we will only find that out if and when such an offer is made.

Personally l would only do so, with a sell-on as well if possible, if Adama made it clear that he will not be signing a new contract whatever offer he gets.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What interests me is the spin that’s put on things. Take away his playing career and his name. When we appointed Bruno much was said in the press (and indeed on here) about his lack of experience. Yet he has a longer coaching career and won the title in a much more difficult league than Scotland, yet Gerrard is already a media darling and villa will fly up the league.

Truth is he’s as likely (if not more likely) to fail at villa than he is to succeed

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The media love Gerrard and Lampard and thats why they get so much attention and are lorded up by the predictable pundits. It was the same to an extent with Bruce at Newcastle.

If Gerrard fails at Vile then there wont be quite the criticism from his mates in the media that say Nuno got at Spurs which shows the complete hypocrisy.

Lampard when Chelsea binned him he wasnt getting that much criticism in the press because they love him. Media now almost begging Norwich to appoint him or Rangers to give him the job.

All part of the establishment.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What interests me is the spin that’s put on things. Take away his playing career and his name. When we appointed Bruno much was said in the press (and indeed on here) about his lack of experience. Yet he has a longer coaching career and won the title in a much more difficult league than Scotland, yet Gerrard is already a media darling and villa will fly up the league.

Truth is he’s as likely (if not more likely) to fail at villa than he is to succeed
Agree with this

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A diver and a whinger - perfect fit for Villa

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems many a Villa fan are not too keen on Gerrard. They think they should have someone much higher up the managerial chain!

SPL is a two horse race every season. Often it becomes a one horse race. Postecoglou has never managed a European league side in any division. Apart from a stint in Japan where his team won the league he has spent his time in Aussie football including being their national coach at the World Cup. Yet he’s already got Celtic up with Rangers. Gerrard will find it a lot tougher as a manager in the PL.

Ange had a stint coaching in the Greek league at the start of his career.
He also transformed Brisbane Roar and then Melbourne Victory into by far the best and most entertaining teams in the league winning multiple championships, coaching the Aussie youth team, then taking the national team to the World cup and winning the Asian championship...... then of course winning the league in Japan.
His CV as a manager makes Gerard appear a novice in camparison.
Postecoglou does like to take his time and totally rebuild his teams..... his one big weakness though is he's very thin skinned and doesnt respond well to criticism.
I'd have him at Wolves any day.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't follow Scottish football but Rangers winning up there surely is no big deal? Does managing Rangers make Gerrard a manager ready to move straight to the Prem? At least Lampard had a go with Derby first. I'm putting this move on a par with Nuno going to Spurs. I think Villa will certainly finish in the bottom 5, likely bottom 3. If he keeps them up he'll get another year, if they go down I reckon he'll be sacked.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't follow Scottish football but Rangers winning up there surely is no big deal? Does managing Rangers make Gerrard a manager ready to move straight to the Prem? At least Lampard had a go with Derby first. I'm putting this move on a par with Nuno going to Spurs. I think Villa will certainly finish in the bottom 5, likely bottom 3. If he keeps them up he'll get another year, if they go down I reckon he'll be sacked.
I would love it...I would just LOVE IT if you are right!

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Media darling Gerrard won 1 of the 9 domestic trophies he was able to win during his time up here, despite spending over £30m in the process.

That makes him the 4th most successful manager on trophies won, during his time in Scotland. By contrast, Callum Davidson won 2 trophies last season with a budget of 2 packets of pickled onion monster munch and a can of irn bru.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Celtic had a particularly bad year but what Gerrard did there was remarkable.
As I said above I have no interest in Scottish football so perhaps I am speaking out of turn but can you list the winners of the Scottish Prem, say for the last 30 years? Is there any other winner than Rangers or Celtic? Not sure why you say what Gerrard did there was 'remarkable' and even if it was, is that enough to get him straight into a Prem job?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good appointment. It will be interesting to see if he can turn their obvious potential into some actual results

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made me laugh earlier when I read that Dwight Yorke had apparently applied for the Vile job and shocked that no one had got back to him. I mean come on mate!

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made me laugh earlier when I read that Dwight Yorke had apparently applied for the Vile job and shocked that no one had got back to him. I mean come on mate!

It happens every time the job becomes available. He applies, doesn’t get an interview then moans former black players don’t get a chance to become managers

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It happens every time the job becomes available. He applies, doesn’t get an interview then moans former black players don’t get a chance to become managers

He strikes me as being totally deluded and a bit of a clown.

Back
Top Bottom