Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dazzling Dave and THAT Bournemouth fan.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you come on here Dave and after what has transpired at Molineux this season I for one would love you now (or before we play them on 16 March) to re-interview that Bournemouth fan who was so disparaging about GON before the season began. I admit to knowing little about GON in August and pretty much believed every negative thing he said about GON which in hindsight was a ridiculous thing for me to do. I based all my prejudices about GON pretty much solely on what he said to you. Shameful. I'm sure like many on here I feel so bad thinking back to my posts at that time and if I could personally apologise to GON I would do so. I know Bournemouth are also having a good season but I would love to hear that guy's comments on GON now and his views on the job he is doing here. Dave, please make it happen.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bournemouth are quite happy with the changes they made it’s working out for both clubs.
Yeah they won't be regretting it I don't think

Pretty sure that Bournemouth fan said they started off quite attacking under O'Neil but regressed. They were in dire trouble for most of the season and we've seen enough for ourselves how a lack of results can lead to attritional football. If we hadn't picked up the results against the likes of Man City and then the late (though fully deserved) turnaround against Spurs, who's to say we wouldn't have been seeing the same attritional football here scrambling for points without the cushion we have over the drop zone? Credit to O'Neil for not taking his foot off the gas in that regard but we have to remember situations from club to club are different, it's not really comparing the same thing

Kompany got mentioned the other day, now O'Neil is (rightly) getting plaudits for playing attractive football while Kompany is getting criticism for not adapting with the players he has. Give Kompany our players and give O'Neil theirs, you could easily find the rhetoric around each manager swap over

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the fact that Bournemouth were so ugly last season, is exactly why people didn’t want him here.

He did what he had to with a bunch of luggers.. this season we can see what he is really about. Malleable.

We’re both better off and I wouldn’t want to be smug as things can turn quickly.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the fact that Bournemouth were so ugly last season, is exactly why people didn’t want him here.

He did what he had to with a bunch of luggers.. this season we can see what he is really about. Malleable.

We’re both better off and I wouldn’t want to be smug as things can turn quickly.
great adjective

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Some times a manager is just a great fit for a club. Bit like Nuno was for us and Wolves were for him.

Gary at this moment in time seems to be a great fit for Wolves and exactly what we needed under the circumstances. Long may it continue.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely. Did a great job in keeping them up and didn’t deserve the sack but his football was atrocious. You wouldn’t believe he’s the same manager after watching what he’s done for us.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. Did a great job in keeping them up and didn’t deserve the sack but his football was atrocious. You wouldn’t believe he’s the same manager after watching what he’s done for us.
You work with the tools you have. Give Michaelangelo a bunch of crayons and he’s not producing the Cistene Chapel

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you come on here Dave and after what has transpired at Molineux this season I for one would love you now (or before we play them on 16 March) to re-interview that Bournemouth fan who was so disparaging about GON before the season began. I admit to knowing little about GON in August and pretty much believed every negative thing he said about GON which in hindsight was a ridiculous thing for me to do. I based all my prejudices about GON pretty much solely on what he said to you. Shameful. I'm sure like many on here I feel so bad thinking back to my posts at that time and if I could personally apologise to GON I would do so. I know Bournemouth are also having a good season but I would love to hear that guy's comments on GON now and his views on the job he is doing here. Dave, please make it happen.
Respectfully,
Ok…..a Bournemouth fan was wrong……happens all the time with fans from all clubs…..nothing new.
Rather than Dave approach the Bournemouth fan,( after all , what will that achieve?), perhaps we should not judge players and coaches too fast.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thing is, was the Bournemouth fan wrong? They spent a lot last January and were still a very poor watch by all accounts. O'Neil did what needed doing to keep them up, but it obviously wasn't pretty. He's done a great job for us. I don't think anyone needs to apologise for thinking he wasn't really qualified to take the Wolves job, let's face it he only got the job at Bournemouth because he was already there. The fact that he has done so well is credit to him and Hobbs for seeing something in him, I don't think those of us looking from the outside have much to castigate ourselves over.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is, was the Bournemouth fan wrong? They spent a lot last January and were still a very poor watch by all accounts. O'Neil did what needed doing to keep them up, but it obviously wasn't pretty. He's done a great job for us. I don't think anyone needs to apologise for thinking he wasn't really qualified to take the Wolves job, let's face it he only got the job at Bournemouth because he was already there. The fact that he has done so well is credit to him and Hobbs for seeing something in him, I don't think those of us looking from the outside have much to castigate ourselves over.
I think the Bournemouth fan was right until we played Man City we had no identity 6&7s at the back. We was looking very poor in some games.

Time goes on to we’ve improved a lot

Now we are a very very good counter attacking team which is still the foundations nuno built us on. I guess we are a club suited to a back 3 it will get us over the line every season.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some times a manager is just a great fit for a club. Bit like Nuno was for us and Wolves were for him.

Gary at this moment in time seems to be a great fit for Wolves and exactly what we needed under the circumstances. Long may it continue.
Agreed, weird coincidence as well how both came about after a saga with Julen Lopetegui!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes. Bournemouth were not that poor of a watch...their defenders were just tragic. However, he got enough goals out of Solanke and Billing to make it work. People need to remember just how much stronger the league was last season.

That said, of course he has learned in the last year and I'm sure he is better now than he was for them.

Cherries fans won't be feeling chastened after their run of late....and, ya know, Iraola is doing a perfectly fine job there.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the Bournemouth fan was right until we played Man City we had no identity 6&7s at the back. We was looking very poor in some games.

Now we are a very very good counter attacking team which is still the foundations nuno built us on. I guess we are a club suited to a back 3 it will get us over the line every season.

We've improved because of O'Neil. The fact that we were poor to start with but are now better than any time in what, the last 5 years? Means the job he's done has been especially good.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score

How can a ‘club’ be suited to a certain style of play, that’s a nonsense statement. The style of play is dictated by the manager & players available. Be surprised if GON doesn’t want to progress to a back 4 over time but that will be dictated by transfers & players available not that the club is suited to a back 3.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can a ‘club’ be suited to a certain style of play, that’s a nonsense statement. The style of play is dictated by the manager & players available. Be surprised if GON doesn’t want to progress to a back 4 over time but that will be dictated by transfers & players available not that the club is suited to a back 3.
Only Julen Lopetegui managed to get us to survive by playing a back 4 and my word the football was horrendous. We was still a counter attacking team.

Back 4 requires quick defenders and a different type of midfield. We play so much better with a low block it’s hard to change what works so well.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think we’re more than that, yes we have scored some fantastic goals and won some games with brilliant counter attacking, but the Chelsea game for example was built on more than that we have some very technically able players and are a good side.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I think we’re more than that, yes we have scored some fantastic goals and won some games with brilliant counter attacking, but the Chelsea game for example was built on more than that we have some very technically able players and are a good side.
Chelsea and Spurs I'd say we were the better team first half, maybe less possession, but more threat. Both games we only really killed them on the counter attack once we were ahead, which is just how PL football is supposed to work for most clubs.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Respectfully,
Ok…..a Bournemouth fan was wrong……happens all the time with fans from all clubs…..nothing new.
Rather than Dave approach the Bournemouth fan,( after all , what will that achieve?), perhaps we should not judge players and coaches too fast.
It’s very easy to let out emotions take over rather than taking a step back and looking at things logically which is something I’ve certainly been guilty of.

Dazzling Dave

Reaction score
Thats a very good idea will do my best to make this happen :)

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that’s because we have much better players than he had at Bournemouth.

Probably Lloyd Kelly and Dominic Solanke are the only 2 who would get into out team imo. Alex Scott would be one for the future as well.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some clubs get known for their general style of play and fans have a preference to what they watch. It doesn’t mean that a new manager can’t change things but if they fall too far away from the clubs ‘DNA’ they don’t last long when things go wrong. For a long time we were known, based on the 50s, for playing fast, direct football with wingers. Spurs were known for being a short and precise passing side (based on Nicholson’s success) and West Ham similar. Most of its *******s and cliched but fans buy into it, it’s why Moyes gets grief at West Ham (and they’re **** at the moment) and Everton fans will not give Dyche a lot of leniency as they have a perception as to how they should play, which actually dates back to the Harvey, Ball and Kendall midfield of 1970.

Due to Nuno’s success with a 3, Lage’s using a 3 to grind out 1-0s and O’Neil’s current performances, moving to a 4 is a difficult task as we know as fans that a 3 can and does work and bring success. We will therefore be critical when things go wrong in a 4 and the easy solution is move to 3 at the back. To move to a 4 we need at least one dominant, and quick, centre half. I would argue we are not simply a counter attacking team but at our best we are a team that is very good at winning the ball back and attacking all over the pitch. We win the ball back in the oppositions half often and turn that into an attack. Essentially we’re very good at the transition. Under previous Managers our first thought would be to pass back and safe. Our challenge, and that of any team, is being able to defeat teams who park the bus 30 yards from their own goal. It would be easier if we didn’t gift goals like we did vs Brentford.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the players he had at Bournemouth, at least the team he took over from Parker, were, like most newly-promoted sides, a little one-dimensional. O'Neil's idealized more flexible approach probably needed more from those players than they were capable of giving, so he settled on focusing on their strengths, with survival-first football.

In January, they added some very good signings, but like us under Lopetegui, even with the WC break it is extremely difficult to start imposing your ideas on a group of players who don't yet know each other. When he tried to adjust the style after relegation was avoided, they lost a few and the football degraded, and unsurprisingly (as we've seen it ourselves) this convinced some of their supporters that he was also one-dimensional and wouldn't be able to develop a cohesive style of play.

IMO football learned nothing about the way an O'Neil team is capable of playing (likewise Lopetegui) from that period because their single objective was to stay up, and whilst many of us respected his achievements, unsurprisingly many of our fans questioned whether he would be able to manage the change here because he'd never demonstrated he was capable of that previously, not because of any failings more he hadn't been given the opportunity.

Now, I think he has a better group of players who are probably a little more reciprocal to the tactical nuances that make O'Neil stand out from other managers. More importantly, he's got into their heads and capitalised on quick wins by making the players see they are becoming better under him. He's also benefited from a settled group of analysts and most probably the organisational abilities of Shaun Derry. I also like that he's made the players more resilient - the psychology of developing this group shouldn't be overlooked because as soon as a few decisions went against us last season we tended to lose our heads.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also like that he's made the players more resilient - the psychology of developing this group shouldn't be overlooked because as soon as a few decisions went against us last season we tended to lose our heads.
I think this is a really good point. Last season, yes we had poor decisions, but the reactions to them weren't helpful. JL consistently lost his cool on the touchline, and this spread to the players - Neves as captain was particularly guilty of constantly being in the ears of referees. This really didn't do us any favours. O'Neil's approach, whilst not shying away from criticising officials, has generally been a lot more respectful, and he's clearly instilled the idea that we just need to get on with it when things aren't going our way.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
I think this is a really good point. Last season, yes we had poor decisions, but the reactions to them weren't helpful. JL consistently lost his cool on the touchline, and this spread to the players - Neves as captain was particularly guilty of constantly being in the ears of referees. This really didn't do us any favours. O'Neil's approach, whilst not shying away from criticising officials, has generally been a lot more respectful, and he's clearly instilled the idea that we just need to get on with it when things aren't going our way.
Yeah, my dislike for Julen is based on his hysterical tantrums on the sideline, when 50/50 decisions didn't go our way. It was frankly embarrassing at times...

With hindsight, as we seem to get much more decisions going our way now with Cool-Gary at the helm, maybe the coolness of him has a positive impact on the referees?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stropetegui didn't really bother me personally - it was a bit short-termist 'us against everyone' stuff that we probably needed and benefited from, although did that seep into this season with the refs and how they viewed Wolves as a club? Quite possibly.

O'Neil has also been pretty vocal about the refs decisions and VAR, particularly in interviews (albeit a little more respectfully as the season has gone on) but more importantly he's made the players realise their responsibilities to each other when they do have setbacks during games. It's no coincidence we've been able to chalk up so many results having come from behind.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd still like to see that Bournemouth fan be re-interviewed to see if his views on GON have changed in the light of what's happened this season so far.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd still like to see that Bournemouth fan be re-interviewed to see if his views on GON have changed in the light of what's happened this season so far.
You would need an interviewer that challenged his statements, not a softly softly too agreeable approach.
Dazzling was a bit like Sean Hannity interviewing Donald Trump, toss him a few soft balls and watch him hit them out of the park.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would need an interviewer that challenged his statements, not a softly softly too agreeable approach.
Dazzling was a bit like Sean Hannity interviewing Donald Trump, toss him a few soft balls and watch him hit them out of the park.
I'd love to interview him because he made a right chump out of me tbh and I think a few others on here as well.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You work with the tools you have. Give Michaelangelo a bunch of crayons and he’s not producing the Cistene Chapel
He did produce these with ink & chalk though.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yup.

Thanks to this thread I now know what Nunchucks are. I used to think being kicked in the nunchucks made your eyes water, but now I know better.
When you catch nunchucks to the nunchucks, you will wish you had nun.... chucks?

Back
Top Bottom