Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Davy Jones RIP

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Lead singer of The Monkees has died aged 66.I have posted here because of his close association with Waggy and the club when we played in America in the 60's-RIP.

F

FLEET WOLF

There was a Sunday paper article at the time which suggested Waggy was going to join the Monkees!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
There was a Sunday paper article at the time which suggested Waggy was going to join the Monkees!

In Waggy's book he details what happened When we played in LA Davy introduced the band to the players and some hung around on the set for a few days.Waggy always played up to the story of joining the band.I suppose he was just a Daydream Believer at heart.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grew up with them on tv in the 60's R.I.P. Davy.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first band I ever saw, it was at Empire Pool Wembley. Oh Happy Days!

I was fascinated by the colour spotlights, that was all that was available at the time. It had to stand on it`s music, Tork playing the timpani for `why don`t you cut your hair`, Can still remember it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won't speak ill of the dead, but...the Monkees? Come on, guys. First non-reality TV manufactured boy band. Nesmith alone went on to better things; & Dolenz was the lead vocalist.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you seen the names of the session musicians used.

The Beatles were manufactured.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you seen the names of the session musicians used.

The Beatles were manufactured.
All "pop" groups have always used session men in the studio-studio time costs money, & record companies aren't keen on financing the learning curves of amateurs.

The Beatles were certainly portrayed & marketed in a certain way by Epstein, but they wrote their own songs & weren't manufactured in the sense that the Monkees were advertised & auditioned for, using teen appeal former child actors to fulfill specific roles.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A manufactured band which became a band, IMO.
And yet one that left no discernible musical legacy, apart from a couple of Boyce-Hart & Neil Diamond songs & one half-decent film ("Head").

There aren't going to be any Monkees albums in anyone's top 100, apart from maybe a Greatest Hits compilation. I've never really been a Beatles fan, but would concede that most top album lists are going to include at least Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul & the White Album.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last train to clarksville - what a cracking tune that is!

RIP Davy

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet one that left no discernible musical legacy, apart from a couple of Boyce-Hart & Neil Diamond songs & one half-decent film ("Head").

There aren't going to be any Monkees albums in anyone's top 100, apart from maybe a Greatest Hits compilation. I've never really been a Beatles fan, but would concede that most top album lists are going to include at least Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul & the White Album.

Two very different bands anyway. One was a product of the times the other went on to make some brilliant music.

B

Battleship

Won't speak ill of the dead, but...the Monkees? Come on, guys.
I am very pleased to have their greatest hits CD in my collection - it has some outstanding tracks on it. Daydream Believer is a classic - and anyone who says otherwise obviously disagrees. There are also some excellent tracks that I hadn't personally heard before I bought it (e.g. Stepping Stone). Many years ago, I went to a friend's birthday, at which there were loads of people, and he didn't have any decent music - so I got the Monkees greatest hits from my car, and it did the trick! They were also one of the first bands to use a Moog synthesiser - giving them an extra historical importance.

Speaking of tributes to well known artists - I'm surprised that the passing of Whitney Houston wasn't noted here. She very briefly (one sentence), spoke to me personally about her life of vice. here's how it happened:

In 1991, she performed at the NIA in Birmingham, and I was 7 rows from the stage. Bobby Brown was in the crowd, and she called him onto the stage to introduce him as her fiancée - to widespread applause.

Between songs, she was talking to the audience and telling us how she had become a reformed character through Jesus. Talking about the previous period prior to the new, clean life, she said something like, "Drugs, three in a bed, you name it, I've done it all." I laughed - and then it happened: she looked me right in the eye and said, "You can laugh - but it's all true!".

Back
Top Bottom