Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dave Jones Premiership side vs McCarthys Premiership side

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Myself and a mate were having a conversation at the match at half time on Sunday about our squads during the Premiership, and despite us only being in the Premiership for a year under Dave Jones compared to McCarthys three, we actually felt that Dave Jones team was better than the current team player-for-player.

Which would you choose as your preferred squad - Dave Jones squad or one of McCarthys of the last three years?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well...until this season, McCarthy's was a better side i reckon. They were better organised, younger, and we managed to get one bloke in the England team, with a sprinkling of other internationals.

In that season under Jones, we were so far off the pace at the start it was horrendous.....5.1 away, then home 5.0 and 4.0 thumpings by Chelsea and Charlton(?).
We conceded 3 or more goals twelve times...but had a few stirring victories.
I thought some matches we didn't have a clue and Jones didn't either...but others we performed with inspiration (mainly due to Rae).
Rae kept us going in the first half of the season before fading away, then Camara gave us hope at the end...but i thought we were about 5 players short of an average side and the defence was if anything, worse than what we have now.
Plus when we were relegated nobody was worse a brass button because they were too old or unfit, and the only resellable player went on strike !

If i was starting again now...the current team is better suited to where we are today, but it needs work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought for one glorious afternoon in April (cannot remember the match though) that even if we went down, Cort and Camara were gonna dick the Championship.

The best laid plans...

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cameron and Rae would $$$$ all over our current CM. That's where games are won and lost unless you want to play hit and hope HOOF. Despite individuals being better in certain other slots, the DJ team would win out 7 times out of 10 over the present, not least because they were a team, the single components of which understood their roles and how to pass and cover for each other.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought for one glorious afternoon in April (cannot remember the match though) that even if we went down, Cort and Camara were gonna dick the Championship.

The best laid plans...

Man City away.....3-3.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
--------Hennessey---------

Irwin---Berra----Craddock----God Knows

-Kightly---Rae----Ince--------Jarvis

---Norman Stanley---Camara-----

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The best laid plans...

Middlesbrough at Home? 2-0

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we talking about the Rae in the first half of the season or Rae in the second? Cameron was disappointing in the PL. That team was disjointed and way out of its depth which was down to the manager because man for man it was probably better and certainly more experienced if admittedly on the slide.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cameron was disappointing in the PL.

Agreed, but he wasn't so bad as to have been eclipsed by any of our current players.

Old Trafford, second (?) game of that season, If only The Rat had sunk that chance in front of a gaping open goal...

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we talking about the Rae in the first half of the season or Rae in the second? Cameron was disappointing in the PL. That team was disjointed and way out of its depth which was down to the manager because man for man it was probably better and certainly more experienced if admittedly on the slide.

Agree...Cameron was way out of his depth, games passed him by and his control just wasn't up to scratch. He scored the odd goal, but that kind of football was different to anything he'd played up in Scotland or at Wolves.
Brought it home to me about players being suited to certain leagues, because in the Championship Cameron was more effective than Rae who was dropped for many games.

Everyone remembers the Rae mental goal at Reading that got us into the play off final....but not many remember that he was a sub and many of us (me included) wondered just why we were bringing him on at such a crucial time .....:D

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Hennessey
Irwin, Craddock, Berra, Ward
Kightly, Henry, Rae, Jarvis
Fletcher, Doyle

More from McCarthy's side for me...

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
433/451 Oakes , irwin craddock , Berra , ward , Ince , Cameron , Rae , kightly , Jarvis , Camara

T

Tettenhall Wolf

Hennessey
Irwin, Craddock, Berra, Ward
Kightly, Henry, Rae, Jarvis
Fletcher, Doyle

More from McCarthy's side for me...

I think I'm with you there Tring.

Of course Dave Jones did have 2 other players in his squad who sadly did not really feature that season in Lescott and Murray - they would have got in any Wolves side in the last 30 years.

E

Essex Wolf

Both were poor but at least McCarthy's side managed, just, to stay in the PL for more than one season.

W

we8wba

-----------oakes/hennessey-----------

irwin-----craddock(03)---johnson-----naylor

kightly----rae-----ince-------jarvis

----------camara-----fletcher

oakes/hennessey similar standards
irwin wins hands down
craddock of 03 was quality
johnson should still be there, regardless off field antics and odd shocking game he still our best current cb
naylor picks himself
kightly picks himself
rae and ince add more bit than current cm's
jarvis picks himself
fletcher top prem scorer of alltime so picks himself
camara as much as hit n miss added a constant threat with his pure pace which we've lacked the past 3 years

so 6 v 4 to the old guard to me

and flip a coin for keeper

Back
Top Bottom