Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dave Jones Biography...

C

crasm98

I am currently reading the Dave Jones biography and it is a really good read.

Just reached the part when he got us promoted and he is taking about all the broken promises and how he was shafted.

He said that the week after we got promoted he was called into a meeting with Sir Jack and Jez Moxey and was asked these three questions...along with his responses:

1.) SJH - How much money will you need to keep us in the premier league

DJ - I will need about £20 million

2.) SJH - How much money will you need to get us mid table?

DJ - I will need about £30 million

3.) SJH - How much money will you need to win the title?

DJ - Lets not get carried away, lets concentrate on getting established. The £20 million will be enough for the first season.

DJ says he got a call a few days later from Jez to inform him that he was sorry but SJH would only give him a budget of £3 million.

He had drawn up a list of transfer targets which he says would of cost him about £16 million. This including an inform Trevor Sinclair and David James were some of the names. Instead he ended up with Steffern Iversen, Henri Camara and Silas - a total of £3.5 million.

DJ was angered by the lack of trust and broken promises and other managers in the Premier league were telling him to walk away because he had been given no chance before he even started.

DJ then ended by saying he was very let down and knew his days were numbered with SJH before the season had even started.

Fair play to DJ for staying and doing the best he could. Still have a lot of respect for him and would welcome him back anyday.

Such a great man.

P

PeteWolf

Disgusting the part Moxey and Ince played in his departure undermining him in public.

He had to go in the end, but those pair had their hands dirty. SJH and the keep quiet payments said it all.

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'But McCarthy had to do it on a shoestring... without him we would've be doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.'

Jones' teams had something a MM team will never have- style.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks crasm. Very interesting that. I hope MM writes truthfully about his time at Wolves one day that should be an even bigger eye opener.

P

Paul76

I'll always have time for Dave Jones. Unbelievable that he was only given 3 million. Is this book on kindle by the way?

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'But McCarthy had to do it on a shoestring... without him we would've be doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.'

Jones' teams had something a MM team will never have- style.

Agree with that, Jone's team was easier on the eye and I can honestly say I never went to a game and got bored and frustrated. Can't say that about Micks teams and those that travel away regularly will understand a little better.

F

FLEET WOLF

I am currently reading the Dave Jones biography and it is a really good read.

Just reached the part when he got us promoted and he is taking about all the broken promises and how he was shafted.

He said that the week after we got promoted he was called into a meeting with Sir Jack and Jez Moxey and was asked these three questions...along with his responses:

1.) SJH - How much money will you need to keep us in the premier league

DJ - I will need about £20 million

2.) SJH - How much money will you need to get us mid table?

DJ - I will need about £30 million

3.) SJH - How much money will you need to win the title?

DJ - Lets not get carried away, lets concentrate on getting established. The £20 million will be enough for the first season.

DJ says he got a call a few days later from Jez to inform him that he was sorry but SJH would only give him a budget of £3 million.

He had drawn up a list of transfer targets which he says would of cost him about £16 million. This including an inform Trevor Sinclair and David James were some of the names. Instead he ended up with Steffern Iversen, Henri Camara and Silas - a total of £3.5 million.

DJ was angered by the lack of trust and broken promises and other managers in the Premier league were telling him to walk away because he had been given no chance before he even started.

DJ then ended by saying he was very let down and knew his days were numbered with SJH before the season had even started.

Fair play to DJ for staying and doing the best he could. Still have a lot of respect for him and would welcome him back anyday.

Such a great man.

Very interesting that, thanks. As has been said on here, perhaps what MM may have to say about Wolves in a few years time could be even more revealing!

S

Sharples

Dave Jones wanted to spunk the money on some more ageing players!! :eek:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Micks had about £40 million more to spend since going up than dave jones

M

Monkey Man

It's a great book and the guy was a real gent, you can see he had real issues with SJH and Jez, he was hung out to dry.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read it myself over Xmas, a very good read.

He also explains what happened the year we blew it and Albion went passed us. A few of the players had booked a trip to Vegas and if we had of gone up the end of season party would have clashed with it, think it was Butler who knocked on his door one morning and told him, but it was too late by then the damage had been done.:mad:

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with that, Jone's team was easier on the eye and I can honestly say I never went to a game and got bored and frustrated. Can't say that about Micks teams and those that travel away regularly will understand a little better.

You never went to a Wolves game under DJ and was bored or frustrated?!? Give over.

Milwall away in the season we choked? Grimsby at home in that same season?

The first half of the season under DJ the year we got promoted, we had some terrible games. It only changed following that Newcastle F.A. cup game.

I can agree DJ's side probably had more flair but to suggest MM's team haven't been as exciting is a little stupid IMO.

MM's first year I was excited by the side he was building. Young, hungry, never say die. Ok the football may not have been as good as it was under say DJ but it was exciting to me.

Then MM's promotion season. The game against Forest still stands out to me. I haven't seen us play that sort of football in my lifetime watching the Wolves and for me it was on par with some of the football that DJ's team played in his first full season when we were on fire and running through teams before we collapsed.

I understand people are tired and frustrated with this side & MM, but don't sell the guy's previous achievements short just because of your feeling towards him now.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

$$$$$$...we didn't win a game away from home with Jones in the entire season.
Few unlucky results at liverpool and man city, but generally we were whipping boys.

S

Shergar

It was well known at the time in the golfing circles of Shropshire and South Staffs that DJ had been shafted by Moxey over the list that DJ presented and the ones that Moxey picked.

But don't let that stop some of the vitriol felt by some towards DJ.... Cue Monk..

S

Shergar

$$$$$$...we didn't win a game away from home with Jones in the entire season.
Few unlucky results at liverpool and man city, but generally we were whipping boys.

His team did get over the half way in the second half though.

And for all the turner, Taylor, mcgoo years we cried out for a Paul Ince type of midfielder and DJ found him.... in Paul Ince, backed up by Rae and Cameron - the best combative middle unit we have had since Bailey et al.

Leicester at home, possibly the most amazing game in my 42 years of going.

D

Deleted member 3751

He was hard done by after promotion but, why line up an England keeper on massive wages who was ten years the senior of the guy we had between the sticks at the time and arguably no better?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a Doctor Who quote:

'History can be rewritten'.

I really liked DJ though and was a little bit disappointed when he was sacked, although one can completely understand why we did it.

F

FLEET WOLF

It was well known at the time in the golfing circles of Shropshire and South Staffs that DJ had been shafted by Moxey over the list that DJ presented and the ones that Moxey picked.

But don't let that stop some of the vitriol felt by some towards DJ.... Cue Monk..

For all we know and indeed probably almost certainly the case, MM has similarly been shafted by Moxey, obeying Morgan's orders.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thanks Shergar. I've never denied he wasn't given the backing he should have got. I just don't buy into this 3 year and 5 year plan nonsense and feel he should have achieved much more considering the players he brought in.

At every pressure moment Jones ballsed up. He brough in Cooper who was a decent player but not a winger more a wide midfielder. As a replacement for the injured Kennedy the team became completely adjusted and the rest is history.

The year we did finally get promoted he persisted with that dreadful 4-3-3 for half the season with a team of ready made players, ones that didn't really need coaching on huge wages. Had the team finished one place below it would have been a total disgrace, instead the fact he had assembled a team that didn't need him telling them what to do showed through and quality showed.

When in the PL we were utterly dreadful. He played players out of position which every manager does at some point, but alienated the players which showed the lack of team spirit within the camp. He lambasted Okoronkwo, Miller and Naylor publically, which further upset the morale. He played Iversen while he was unfit then dropped him when his form improved, which was terrible management, and replaced him and one of our better players, Oakes, with Jones and Cort, who himself took time to get up and running. No wonder we went down with a whimper.

When we went down the football was the worst I've seen in over 25 years of watching Wolves. Seol and Olofinjana were appalling signings and the state he left the team in compared with when he arrived said it all. He brought Lescott back far too early which again showed lack of duty of care, and his man-management skills again shone through with public fallings out with Butler and Ince. He's like Harry Redknapp without a shred of charisma.

I actually don't 100% blame Hoddle for the debacle that followed- Jones left the squad disjointed, low and threadbear and the club low and at loggerheads. We played some great matches under Jones- but in spite of him, not because of him.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
....strange goings on

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mugwump I would assume that if Jez or SJH felt they have been libelled that they could sue. I would be surprised if legal advise is not sought before books of this nature are published.

P

PeteWolf

Mugwump I would assume that if Jez or SJH felt they have been libelled that they could sue. I would be surprised if legal advise is not sought before books of this nature are published.
They tried to, although not for slander, but breaking a confidentiality clause.

Obviously didn't want it getting out that they'd screwed him over.

M

Monkey Man

He also explains what happened the year we blew it and Albion went passed us. A few of the players had booked a trip to Vegas and if we had of gone up the end of season party would have clashed with it, think it was Butler who knocked on his door one morning and told him, but it was too late by then the damage had been done.:mad:

Yes, that bit certainly shows we'd taken our eyes off the prize and thought we were promoted. I will say though, as dark as that day was, the fact that DJ got us up next year was a miracle. We could have have been playing in the 3rd division and I wouldn't have been surprised after that collapse.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not this again! There was a period of good football under Dave Jones. But there were much longer periods and some terrible matches I can remember where we were a shambles. I and many others were delighted when he and his dour persona left the club. We only scraped into the Premiership and one good day of winning the play off final cannot obscure that. His policy of buying older players with no sell on value was disastrous and I do not accept that this was in any way forced on him by the board.

He finally left us in a terrible mess and Hoddle compounded that. He was unlucky with Murray's and Lescott's injuries in our Premiership season and if it is true that he was starved of funds by SJH that was not his fault and sheer idiocy by Hayward. He had some good qualities but many more poor ones. Like so many Wolves managers of the past you rarely had a sense of a consistent and intelligent pattern and organisation in our play.

Thank godness he is gone and the attempt to constantly re-write the history of his period in office is boring beyond belief. Anyone who lauds him as a great manager or even a good one knows very little about football imv. Or perhaps our past record before him was so poor that anything above the mediocre is seen as being brilliant.

M

Mugwump

Perhaps, but i think it would be a hard thing to prove or disprove from either parties point of view who was telling the truth. Unless there were taped recordings of the conversations all either party could do really is just refute the other ones claims.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's the wrong season, it was the 2000/01 season he said that about, and told that the players were responsible were shifted out over that summer.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the wrong season, it was the 2000/01 season he said that about, and told that the players were responsible were shifted out over that summer.

Oops, I blame the amount I drank over Xmas!!

C

crasm98

He was hard done by after promotion but, why line up an England keeper on massive wages who was ten years the senior of the guy we had between the sticks at the time and arguably no better?

Matt Murray was out for the whole season?

M

MonkeySpanner

DJ was one of my favorite managers at Wolves. He along with the fans got shafted that year we were promoted.

M

Monkey Man

DJ was one of my favorite managers at Wolves. He along with the fans got shafted that year we were promoted.

It's strange how we've had two chairman in a row do pretty much the same thing, SJH - 'we won't do it like Albion and struggle' and Morgan with his 'we won't go through this next year'

P

Paul76

I take Dave Jones back in a heart beat. In actual fact, If I was Steve Morgan, I'd sack the tactical magician, and appoint Dave Jones until the end of the season.

Bull Army

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jones will never be forgiven by some for the choke season, even against Cardiff 2003.

Back
Top Bottom