Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Curious contracts Mr Moxey

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolf316 you are quite right, Jez will have a pay cut this season.

Three examples of teams on the whole who do not have the same pay structure as us (i.e. pay cut on relegation), Portsmouth, Leeds & Birmingham City. Anyone fancy being in their financial situation?

Anyhow, Players don't move for money (tongue in cheek) its all about playing in the Premier League!

How do you know Jez is having a pay cut? Dare I say it, ARE YOU STEVE MORGAN IN DISGUISE?!?!?!

T

teedw

if they hadn't played so $$$$e then we wouldn't have been relegated and they wouldn't have had their wages cut.

performance related pay has been round in a fair few walks of life for a long time, its just in football you get paid more therefore the cut is more

hard $$$$ing cheese overpaid $$$$ers

D

dazmanwolf

They get to top up their pay with win bonuses now. Been a while since they got any money from that.

P

paddy

how thick......

players not good enough to keep us up should get a pay cut

portsmouth, rangers, leicester, southampton, charlton, etc

clubs run on borrowed monies paying way too much for shtie players get what they derserve

good clubs will survive ,

premier greed league who needs it.

prefer to see wolves survive , win more than they lose and see players getting paid for winning, a wage which reflects their performances

jez deserves our thanks for holding firm on this

i do not want to see my club ruined by greedy no good self centred players

knuckledraggers would prefer ...?

B

beefy395

how thick......

players not good enough to keep us up should get a pay cut

portsmouth, rangers, leicester, southampton, charlton, etc

clubs run on borrowed monies paying way too much for shtie players get what they derserve

good clubs will survive ,

premier greed league who needs it.

prefer to see wolves survive , win more than they lose and see players getting paid for winning, a wage which reflects their performances

jez deserves our thanks for holding firm on this

i do not want to see my club ruined by greedy no good self centred players

knuckledraggers would prefer ...?

Amen brother I remember the dark days in the 80s no team no stadium I'd rather us play a year in championship and not go up and rebuild than get screwed financially the best players always leave its a fact of life we ain't man utd or Chelsea etc even arsenal sell there best players to balance the books I'd rather a club than no club at all like Pompey or rangers

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It`s not about the money they tell us! They only want to play at the top, they tell us!

If a clause of 50% or 1% (haha) didn`t exist they would still want to be off. which possibly makes this thread irrelevant, unless it`s an excuse for a poke at Mr Moxey, then fair play:rolleyes:

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm surprised it is a standard clause. I understood it was the reason that David Jones failed to sign a new contract with the club. If my memory is correct he moved to Wigan, whose position in the Premiership has been as precarious as our own. Of course they may not have cut wages as severely on/when relegated. On balance I think it makes good business sense and I suspect the decision comes from the top and that Moxey is simply doing what he is told.

S

spud3948

How do you know Jez is having a pay cut? Dare I say it, ARE YOU STEVE MORGAN IN DISGUISE?!?!?!

It has been well documented, and Jez confirmed as much himself in the past. Not sure of the percentage but he will not earn as much in Championship as the Premier League.

I think it is a sound business model, players will always come and go, unfortunately loyalty is long gone in football. I don't think we will ever see another Steve Bull scenario again.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The only cut Moxey's taking is a cut of lamb at the finest restaurants going after Fletcher/Jarvis have been sold ensuring his pension fund increases.

T

teedw

The only cut Moxey's taking is a cut of lamb at the finest restaurants going after Fletcher/Jarvis have been sold ensuring his pension fund increases.

Your world must be a very dark and strange place if you think saving the club money is a bad thing

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There is no money to reinvest, that's the point. It is protecting the club's future.
ah thats ok then

Little of it gets invested but it's there just incase. Firstly it is the "academy" being upgraded, then the training ground and now it is not being reinvested due to protecting the clubs future. Are the catering facilities not due to be improved as Fletchers fee could improve the quality of the cuisine by all accounts....anything but where it should be going which is the first team.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Black Suit

After the debacle last season, he should, even if the timing of the sacking was Steve's, he should have advised against, for the good of the company and his Gaffer's investment.

If he didn't, wow, bye.

K

kaohsiungwolf

ah thats ok then

Little of it gets invested but it's there just incase. Firstly it is the "academy" being upgraded, then the training ground and now it is not being reinvested due to protecting the clubs future. Are the catering facilities not due to be improved as Fletchers fee could improve the quality of the cuisine by all accounts....anything but where it should be going which is the first team.

Perhaps a more fitting username would have been parochialwolf? misanthropewolf?

The " "academy" "as you put it, has just been awarded a Cat 1 status, Premier League status, which should see it becoming a world class facility baring in mind the Prem is the best league in the world. Evidently in your David Icke / Joe Wickes esque world of conspiracy and syphoning of money by the Scouse illuminate the two don't equate.

If I didn't know most of your posts were feeble tabloid esque hooks aimed at garnering the support of some of the sheep on this board for your own amusement then it would actually matter.

D

Deleted member 3545

Very surprised that this is standard.

I fully understand the need to reduce wages upon relegation, and understand that that should be written into a contract.

What surprises me is that it is as much as 50%, because that is bound to lead to unhappiness and dissent, whether its deserved or morally fair.

The other season when Newcastle got relegated they didnt have the paycut clause in their player contracts.
I was listening to talksport as i do most days at work and they were dicussing this and had a football agent on ( cant remember who) who was saying that it was the norm for clubs to have the relegation paycut clause in contracts and stated that even Man Utd have got this clause in their players contracts.

now and then they do have some interesting topics on talksport lol

I guess also when a player signs a contract he knows in advance that this clause is there.

R

reanswolf

The other season when Newcastle got relegated they didnt have the paycut clause in their player contracts.
I was listening to talksport as i do most days at work and they were dicussing this and had a football agent on ( cant remember who) who was saying that it was the norm for clubs to have the relegation paycut clause in contracts and stated that even Man Utd have got this clause in their players contracts.

now and then they do have some interesting topics on talksport lol

I guess also when a player signs a contract he knows in advance that this clause is there.

Again, I fully understand and "expect" players to have it written into their contracts that wages will be cut with relegation.

What I am surprised is that 50% is the norm, as you stated Hebburn. I would like to see any evidence of that.

R

reanswolf

Infact, I am reliably informed that it is normal for clubs to reduce wages upon relegation from Prem by between 33-50%. As usual, IF true - Wolves take the most extreme line, but remember we were low wage paying anyway.

Once again, the Moxeyites will say this is good, prudent housekeeping, but it also puts any manager at a distinct disadvantage in trying to keep, or bring in new players. Especially if key rivals pay higher wages and havent cut there's by the full 50%. I would expect Wolves to reduce there's by 33% as we were not exactly breaking the bank anyway.

Financial strategy is essential in team success, fans just do not seem to grasp this.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm surprised it is a standard clause. I understood it was the reason that David Jones failed to sign a new contract with the club. If my memory is correct he moved to Wigan, whose position in the Premiership has been as precarious as our own. Of course they may not have cut wages as severely on/when relegated. On balance I think it makes good business sense and I suspect the decision comes from the top and that Moxey is simply doing what he is told.

That's what was reported yep.

I'd guess it is standard now having seen what's gone on recently.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Infact, I am reliably informed that it is normal for clubs to reduce wages upon relegation from Prem by between 33-50%. As usual, IF true - Wolves take the most extreme line, but remember we were low wage paying anyway.

Once again, the Moxeyites will say this is good, prudent housekeeping, but it also puts any manager at a distinct disadvantage in trying to keep, or bring in new players. Especially if key rivals pay higher wages and havent cut there's by the full 50%. I would expect Wolves to reduce there's by 33% as we were not exactly breaking the bank anyway.

Financial strategy is essential in team success, fans just do not seem to grasp this.

So if Fletcher was on £30k that's the difference between £15k and £20k the cynic in me says he'd still go

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cut looks poor business sense if you assume it leads to SF &MJ wanting to leave.
Of course no pay cut looks like suicide if you look at the 20 or so other players left but whose interested in that eh?

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Perhaps a more fitting username would have been parochialwolf? misanthropewolf?

The " "academy" "as you put it, has just been awarded a Cat 1 status, Premier League status, which should see it becoming a world class facility baring in mind the Prem is the best league in the world. Evidently in your David Icke / Joe Wickes esque world of conspiracy and syphoning of money by the Scouse illuminate the two don't equate.

If I didn't know most of your posts were feeble tabloid esque hooks aimed at garnering the support of some of the sheep on this board for your own amusement then it would actually matter.

All I see here is hot air. Things "should become" and "building for the future" ...what about building for the here and now for a change

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the debacle last season, he should, even if the timing of the sacking was Steve's, he should have advised against, for the good of the company and his Gaffer's investment.

If he didn't, wow, bye.
The talk at the time was that Morgan had wanted to sack Mick before but was talked out of it by Moxey. Morgan sacking Mick at that time must have been a knee jerk reaction.
Not to have considered beforehand suitable appointments was almost criminal.

R

reanswolf

Now i accept fletcher would go anyway but there is a significant difference in five grand a week if you ask me. Remember that New wage level is what the manager has to work with to get New players in as well. Wages are far more important than some realise. A lot of players he want Will go elsewhere because of this

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Again I must say that there is absolutely no reason why the club cannot renegociate with the players they want.
Are we such bad payers? I would guess that some are compared to other clubs on our level some are and some definitely not. This will give us a chance to be able to get rid of some players who may have not wanted to go if they were still on their prem wages.
Mind you is Moxey looking at the bigger picture. He may be saving wages now but if he had spent maybe another 10 or 20 million last season he may not be losing the 40 million plus because of relegation.

M

Mugwump

I have it on fairly good authority that even though the players do have a wage reduction if we get promotion back to the premier league At the first attempt then they get the difference back as a bonus.

R

reanswolf

Again I must say that there is absolutely no reason why the club cannot renegociate with the players they want.
Are we such bad payers? I would guess that some are compared to other clubs on our level some are and some definitely not. This will give us a chance to be able to get rid of some players who may have not wanted to go if they were still on their prem wages.
Mind you is Moxey looking at the bigger picture. He may be saving wages now but if he had spent maybe another 10 or 20 million last season he may not be losing the 40 million plus because of relegation.

Well I may be wrong, BUT yes the figures show us to spend the lowest amount of overall turnover on wages - just 49% amongst all the other lower half premiership teams who spent 60-85% on wages. As our total turnover was amongst the lower end, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise we must be one of the lowest premiership wage-payers.

But I accept that I am basing my views on these stated facts.

K

kaohsiungwolf

All I see here is hot air. Things "should become" and "building for the future" ...what about building for the here and now for a change

What like being consistently in the top half of spenders in our time in the Premier League (Morgan claimed top quartile in the national press in January though I'm not so sure, although he should know). I don't understand how you don't get this? I've even given you the figures. We spent far more than most other teams.

There needs to be balance - as far as I can see the facilities improvement are very necessary and more beneficial than wantonly spending money on players.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

There's that old chestnut about not building your house on sand, if that's any help. Solid foundations are the way to go, though I can understand why its difficult to remain realistic about it when the house on top of the solid foundations looks like $$$$.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
don't understand how you don't get this? I've even given you the figures. We spent far more than most other teams.

wrong figures I hasten to add... care to put the figures up on wages which shows us as bottom 3 payers? You can manipulate statistics however you want but bottom line Morgan should have invested in January... you know it and so do I. He should also have added more than one outfield player that finished a season seconds from relegation. Whatever happens now is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There's that old chestnut about not building your house on sand, if that's any help. Solid foundations are the way to go, though I can understand why its difficult to remain realistic about it when the house on top of the solid foundations looks like $$$$.

Morgans been at wolves for years.. how many years does it take to progress from foundations. Will the lack of investment 10 years down the road still be due to building the foundations or will the academy facilities be due "redevelopment" again. The foundations to me constitute making sure our squad is good enough to stay in the premiership

K

kaohsiungwolf

wrong figures I hasten to add... care to put the figures up on wages which shows us as bottom 3 payers? You can manipulate statistics however you want but bottom line Morgan should have invested in January... you know it and so do I. He should also have added more than one outfield player that finished a season seconds from relegation. Whatever happens now is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Wrong figures? You keep saying this, yet you have no proof whatsoever that they are false - can you also tell me what figures in particular are incorrect?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/may/24/football-premier-league-club-accounts

So Blackburn and Bolton spent 86% and 82% of their revenue on salaries - did it make any difference?

West Brom pay less than us yet they're still there.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The foundations to me constitute making sure our squad is good enough to stay in the premiership

That's a fair enough point and in our present situation hard to argue with. Some time ago I remember someone posting that there is never really a good time to invest in the club infrastructure as whatever the situation the squad could always be improved. There is truth in this, as there is in the idea that investment in the infrastructure is vital for the long term growth of the club.
In hindsight, relegation's a bugger, isn't it?

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
So Blackburn and Bolton spent 86% and 82% of their revenue on salaries - did it make any difference?

Yes they both have spent the last 10 years as previously "established" premiership clubs whilst we have been predominantly in the championship.

One poor season for each club doesn't reflect anything other than poor management. As practically every club spends more on wages than us in the prem somebody had to come down with us so citing these as examples means little.

I accept Norwich/swansea have had amazing seasons but there is a direct correlation between where clubs finish at what the wage bill is at the club...transfer fees mean comparitively little.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One poor season for each club doesn't reflect anything other than poor management. As practically every club spends more on wages than us in the prem somebody had to come down with us so citing these as examples means little.

Thing is though, in Bolton's case, one poor footballing season carries with it the weight of ten years of fiscal mismanagement. No getting out of that one no matter how hard you wriggle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...reach-relegation-crisis-point-100m-debts.html

Realisticwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
R

reanswolf

I wager too that Bolton & Blackburn get up before us. If our players are taking a 50% cut from "already" relatively low premiership wages, we will struggle to attract quality compared to these teams.

What annoys me is that Moxey talked about paying higher wages, about not doing an Albion, and he even emphasised that there was a direct correlation between wages paid and performance. I simply do not understand how they got it so wrong. Some people will not see any criticism of him, because he is a tough negotiator.

Back
Top Bottom