Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Crucial Free kicks - why Moutinho?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea, proper winds me up.

Side of the box, like Bournemouth, Moutinho is perfect.
More central ones, I struggle to think of anyone in world football more capable than Neves.

It’s fine margins in the Premier League. We are mad to not let Neves be all over ones like the one yesterday.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ultimately, I think this -as well as the difference in minutes played over Christmas- is down to trust. Nuno simply trusts Moutinho more than Neves. I think there are certain people in the squad -Moutinho, Coady, Patricio, Jimenez- that Nuno trusts completely when the chips are down. That's why Cutrone doesn't get on. When we're chasing a game with ten minutes to go, Nuno wants Jimenez in the box, he wants Moutinho in the middle and taking set pieces, he wants Coady at the back, and he wants Patricio between the sticks.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously something has changed. I doubt it’s because Nuno thinks Mouthino is better.The only reason I can think of is an injury or a preventative injury one.
Ruben might have a very small injury that takes time to heal, not unlike Raul’s wrist.

Or just bad luck with DNA. Take for example my family,....my dad, (although not a sports guy), wasn’t overweight ,2 brothers and I have knee issues, arthritis. Again no weight issues. We are the sports side of the family whilst other siblings who were not active have no problems.

So perhaps Ruben has noticed some pain or swelling. At a young age, building up the muscles around the knee can make a huge difference. At least he’s in the hands of top flight professionals.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That annoyed me on Saturday, almost as much as the foul bloody throw at the end (unforgivable after the same at Brighton too :mad:)

There’s not a lot you can criticise him for, but his corners as well really aren’t the best. You saw the difference versus Besiktas when Perry
came on and was whipping them in.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That annoyed me on Saturday, almost as much as the foul bloody throw at the end (unforgivable after the same at Brighton too :mad:)

There’s not a lot you can criticise him for, but his corners as well really aren’t the best. You saw the difference versus Besiktas when Perry
came on and was whipping them in.

I only saw it on TV as it happened but looked like a bad decision to me, yes it was a foul throw, but it was caused by the Watford player jumping in front was nowhere near 2m away so we should have been given a free kick (I think).

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only saw it on TV as it happened but looked like a bad decision to me, yes it was a foul throw, but it was caused by the Watford player jumping in front was nowhere near 2m away so we should have been given a free kick (I think).
Possibly. I was thinking at the time that I’d have launched it at his face, but it’s like complaining about getting done for speeding. You can’t get away with saying the bloke behind me was up my ****.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Possibly. I was thinking at the time that I’d have launched it at his face, but it’s like complaining about getting done for speeding. You can’t get away with saying the bloke behind me was up my ****.

I'll have to call on @Jonzy54 again! but to me the first offence is standing too close to the thrower so it's a free kick to us (or maybe a retake?).

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it a coincidence he seems to have took over all free kicks, since signing a shiny new contract?

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever has decided that Joao takes the freekicks within shooting range, needs to think again, it should be Ruben every time..

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hasn't Neves had an issue with the premier league ball?
These things aren't adhoc or on a wim, it gets analysed and double checked constantly in training and though matches.
If Mountinho has been given the job its because he puts the ball in the net more times than anyone else available in the team from that position.
When Neves starts scoring more in training he'll be given the job again.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho takes average corners and never looks like scoring from a free kick. Against watford that was neves territory. It was very frustrating

D

Deleted member 4124

Hasn't Neves had an issue with the premier league ball?
These things aren't adhoc or on a wim, it gets analysed and double checked constantly in training and though matches.
If Mountinho has been given the job its because he puts the ball in the net more times than anyone else available in the team from that position.
When Neves starts scoring more in training he'll be given the job again.
Neves has scored two free kicks in the Prem from very similar positions to the one we had vs Watford. Moutinho has scored one and it was from a side angle. The rest of his free kicks have been absolutely terrible.
Moutinho is a maestro, but he has absolutely no power in his shots, passes or crosses, and that’s not exactly ideal for set pieces.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said the same to my son the other day. Neves for central free kicks in range of the goal, and Moutinho for corners and crosses.

S

Shifnal Wolf

Any free kick in or around the box should be taken by Neves IMO.

Surprised to see him “taken” off them of late.

on another note, the short corners we are taking but not getting a cross in (ball eventually going back to Coady sometimes) seem to be a waste of an opportunity. I get mixing them up, but surely we should have a better plan for the short corners.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Neves will be on free kicks tomorrow even if both are on the pitch. He loves that FA Cup ball.

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This may be controversial, but I don't think Neves has been great with Free Kicks since we have been in the Premier League. I know he has scored a couple, but I think our strike rate from FK's is probably low (I am sure someone can correct me). I get excited every time Neves takes one, but I am generally disappointed! Moutinho hasn't been much better but am surprised at the huge disappointment in Neves not taking them - I think he put it down to the ball once.

I remember Doherty scoring a fabulous FK against Stoke in the cup recently and I bet the likes of Saiss, Dendoncker (who can also hit them), and Traore (although you could imagine that being smashed against the wall) would also be worthy of a go.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also felt somewhat frustrated after Moutinho's free kick at Watford. I think they have both missed a couple of reasonable chances this season. Overall Moutinho's shots on goal come over as a bit tame and lacking pace. While Neves has the pace but often fires it over the bar or wide. If I had to choose - I would bet on Neves putting more past a keeper than Jao and prefer to see Neves having a pop.

North Bank

Reaction score
Neves should be taking any free kick with 25-30 yards. Outside of that and you're looking to get it in the box then I'd say Moutinho or even Coady.
Corner wise, I have never been a fan of a short corner... until Moutinho started doing one-two's and whipping it in. But we do that too often now. Maybe worth trying the wing backs to whip a cross in straight from the corner?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Neves is carrying an injury of some sort and that’s why he isn’t taking them. Knee, back or something. Didn’t Beckham have back issues due to his set piece technique?
No medical basis or inside knowledge for that mind, I’m just talking out of my ****.

Back
Top Bottom