Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Cover for Doc?

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many think that we need cover for the Doc and Chris Gunter has been told he can leave Reading, my guess it's down to the wage structure as he's still a very good player. Thoughts?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not Gunter for me as we can do better, but I agree we need cover for Doc (that's not Jonny) and if Nya isn't that player that currently leaves Burr (who could be getting better reviews, not to write him off of course, could come good but a ? at the moment) or Sanderson (who we know Nuno wants to step up and can play RCB as well, could be the one)

If we were to recruit then the right sided Vinagre would be ideal. Same age and potential and will still play 20 odd games as Vinagre will do too, otherwise one of the U23's will need to do the job when required and that's down to Burr or Sanderson

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

We're fine.

Traore against the lower sides/when we need to attack. Jonny and Vinagre LWB for the bigger teams if needed.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Jonny is our only cover for the right then when he's needed as cover he's playing every game and that in itself is a risk. We need to have another option (U23 or otherwise) where we can rest both wing backs for particular games and play Vinagre and another (Maybe Traore against poor sides)

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Many think that we need cover for the Doc and Chris Gunter has been told he can leave Reading, my guess it's down to the wage structure as he's still a very good player. Thoughts?
No thanks

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Think Sanderson will be the one to fight for that position throughout the season but with Jonny being able to switch with Vinagre coming in it leaves us ok there imo. Plus if by some miracle now Álvarez does choose us over Ajax he can fill that position too should it be needed. A RCB, number 10 and striker priority in my eyes.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would've liked a Justin James or Reece James in for Cover and potentially take over in a couple of years.

But we are putting money into the academy and need to trust players in it. If we end up with two wingbacks out injured for a lengthy peroid of time we'll have to trust the under 23's, play Bennett there or Adama depending on the opposition

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Sanderson will be the one to fight for that position throughout the season but with Jonny being able to switch with Vinagre coming in it leaves us ok there imo. Plus if by some miracle now Álvarez does choose us over Ajax he can fill that position too should it be needed. A RCB, number 10 and striker priority in my eyes.
Absolutely, excited about Sanderson's potential impact this season and any thoughts of buying a RWB should be 4th in line in terms of priority behind RCB, attacking midfield and a striker

madwolf

Reaction score
I would enquire about Diogo Dalot’s availability now that they have signed Wan Bissaka. I think he would be adequate cover but also potential to improve. Not sure Man U would be prepared to sell but certainly worth asking...... oh and he’s Portuguese :)

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ugh no thanks he's garbage. Dalot or Danilo if City sign Cancelo

D

Deleted member 4124

Oh dang, how long has Kevin Thelwell been a member on MolineuxMix?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If against a tough European side away on the Thursday night we can play say, Vinagre and Doherty and then on Sunday, 3 days later, at home to Man United we bring in Jonny and Dalot fresh and ready to go then that takes us from OK/fine to 'strength in depth' in a lung busting position

D

Deleted member 5635

If against a tough European side away on the Thursday night we can play say, Vinagre and Doherty and then on Sunday, 3 days later, at home to Man United we bring in Jonny and Dalot fresh and ready to go then that takes us from OK/fine to 'strength in depth' in a lung busting position
I’d love us to sign Grimaldo from Benfica, he’s basically a left footed Jonny. Mind you he’s apparently wanted by some of Europe’s top clubs. We would have serious strength in depth for our wingback positions if that were to happen.

mr_j_007

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have said elsewhere we desperately need another wing back. Preferably someone to directly challenge Doherty. I would argue you either bring in a first choice left footed wing back or someone to directly challenge Doherty. 3 players for those 2 positions is simply not enough, the amount of physical exertion they get through is extensive and probably the most of any position in our current shape.

Why I prefer to not swap Jonny over is that it cause an additionally change in the team, the understanding between wing back and centre half is vital, that is exactly where city picked us apart at there place last season. If you only need to make one change but have to make two owing to the squad make up it’s not ideal.

If Nuno feels Sanderson is really a direct option to challenge Doherty I trust his judgement, personally I have not seen anything of him so I can’t offer a view but we need 4 first team players for those 2 positions.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Doherty with one working leg is better than Gunter.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God pre-season is excruciating.

Chris Gunter. 30 in three weeks and 25 Premier League appearances in a 15 year career.

Sign him up.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
You've had a nightmare there! Nowhere near good enough.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I have said elsewhere we desperately need another wing back. Preferably someone to directly challenge Doherty. I would argue you either bring in a first choice left footed wing back or someone to directly challenge Doherty. 3 players for those 2 positions is simply not enough, the amount of physical exertion they get through is extensive and probably the most of any position in our current shape.

Why I prefer to not swap Jonny over is that it cause an additionally change in the team, the understanding between wing back and centre half is vital, that is exactly where city picked us apart at there place last season. If you only need to make one change but have to make two owing to the squad make up it’s not ideal.

If Nuno feels Sanderson is really a direct option to challenge Doherty I trust his judgement, personally I have not seen anything of him so I can’t offer a view but we need 4 first team players for those 2 positions.

We most probably won't be looking for cover as it expands the squad which would be against what we appear to be caring to do.

Sanderson - who has actually been playing in defence - is as much a cover for Doc as Gilo was potentially so for Jonny/Vini. It could all eventually happen but may be so realistically via Shrewsbury, in time.

Jonny and Traore will be our go-to switch as and when needed.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact I'm welsh tipping a Welshman is irrelevant. We are a club in the europa cup and trying to break into the top 6 and people on here are saying Sanderson is cover! He plays primarily as a centreback and is miles off first team standard yet a guy who is capped 95 times isn't good enough to be a 2nd choice rightback in the squad? A reality check is needed at times on this forum..
I'm not saying Gunter is as good as Doc, what I'm saying is what have we got if Doc gets suspended or injured? And if people think Sanderson, Burr or Bennett are better options to step in then we beg to differ in a big way. Over and out

D

Deleted member 3751

The fact I'm welsh tipping a Welshman is irrelevant. We are a club in the europa cup and trying to break into the top 6 and people on here are saying Sanderson is cover! He plays primarily as a centreback and is miles off first team standard yet a guy who is capped 95 times isn't good enough to be a 2nd choice rightback in the squad? A reality check is needed at times on this forum..
I'm not saying Gunter is as good as Doc, what I'm saying is what have we got if Doc gets suspended or injured? And if people think Sanderson, Burr or Bennett are better options to step in then we beg to differ in a big way. Over and out
So say we signed Gunter and Doherty got injured, what's a better wing back line up?

RWB Gunter
LWB Jonny

Or

RWB Jonny
LWB Vinagre

There is no need to sign a senior player to be 'direct' cover/competition for Doherty. And if Doherty is injured or loses form, we can still field two very good wing backs, still keep our balance and at the same time give one of the hottest prospects in Europe game time

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny and Vinagre but we haven't seen RV in a run of games yet and how he'd do. So are you happy going into this season with 3 senior fullbacks with an extra competition? If so fair enough, if not then we need another RB as cover and Gunter would be very good in our formation.

mr_j_007

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I really am a big fan of Ruben V and his run in the team last season coincided with the team struggling before we switched to 352, but in that run of games he didn’t quite have the impact I expected.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine if you was one of the academy players and we signed Gunter as cover for Doc. You'd be gutted wouldn't you?

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny and Vinagre but we haven't seen RV in a run of games yet and how he'd do. So are you happy going into this season with 3 senior fullbacks with an extra competition? If so fair enough, if not then we need another RB as cover and Gunter would be very good in our formation.

Very happy considering we did the same last season. No point signing players who aren’t better or at the very least as good as what we already have, that’s just wasting money

Back
Top Bottom