Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coventry sack manager

A

andyc225

I was told in the summer that an erstwhile Wolves manager would be approached when Thorn gets the bullet.Watch this space.

Do I sense an opportunity to offload Dave Edwards and Hunty?

H

Hatch End

Big Mick is the man to return the mighty light blues to their rightful position.......in the third division!

Oh hang on, they're already in their rightful pposition!

P

PeteWolf

Aren't they broke? Can they afford all the money that Mick needs to waste on average players?

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't they broke? Can they afford all the money that Mick needs to waste on average players?
Pete, you really need to let go. Or maybe reveal that you have a secret longing for Mick?:D

H

Hatch End

Much as I doubt Mad Mick's abilities as a Greed League manager, I think that he would be able to get Cov back into the Second Division fairly quickly ( the real one, the one we're ín! ).

M

Mr Zuki

Is that average players like Jarvis, Kightly, Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Henry, Foley, Fletcher..........

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that average players like Jarvis, Kightly, Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Henry, Foley, Fletcher..........

Do you really want someone to go on from there? Left yourself wide open!!!!

P

PeteWolf

I bet Coventry fans are looking forward to such signings as Kevin Kyle, Carlos Edwards, Jemal Johnson, Darren Ward and Nigel Quashie amongst others who he'll sign and never play.

S

SimplyTheWolves

No it's not. I didn't really make a point but if I were to it would be that all managers make both good and bad signings. How many bad ones has Ferguson made for instance?

Good point Mr Zuki, but then again he can afford to.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm from Coventry, and a lot of my mates are Coventry City fans. One worked as a steward there for 6 years until the end of last season.

Coventry have sacked around 13 managers over the past 12 years - hardly any of them were actually that bad. The problem at the club isn't the managers - its the board.

Coventry City are doomed. They have massive debts, and still owe £600,000 in unpaid rent for the stadium and other unpaid bills. The fans don't even know who own them - all they know is that its a firm called "Sisu" - there is no individual that ever shows a face.

Ever since they left the Premiership, they've continually sold players, and replaced them with youngsters from the youth team that are nowhere near ready, 35 year old players that nobody else will sign, or League 2 players that nobody knows of. For the past year or so, they've had to operate with a transfer embargo - and there are no signs of that being lifted either.

The Coventry fans actually liked Andy Thorn - they thought he did an extremely good job last season of almost keeping Coventry up last year, despite having absolutely nothing to work with. At several points of the season, he just about had enough players to name a starting eleven with subs. Even today, they're disappointed that he's gone.

The reason why Coventry keep sacking their managers is because the board truly believe that they can still get back to the Premiership.

I would say that the chances of McCarthy, or any other manager that people know, would go to Coventry. The club wouldn't be able to afford their wages, the manager would have nothing to work with - plus any manager would surely look at their record of sacking managers and stay well away. At the moment, they've promoted Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley from first team coach and youth team coach, to co-managers - and things will probably remain that way due to their money situation.

I suspect it won't be too long before we see another Portsmouth situation with Coventry City.

I bet Coventry fans are looking forward to such signings as Kevin Kyle

He played for Coventry before - and was crap! Their fans couldn't wait to see the back of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mugwump

As inept as Mick proved in the top flight in the end, he is easily good enough for the levels below.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has been reported that Mick is looking for a premiership appointment.I dont thoink that is likely to happen. I take RJ's points about the financial situation otherwise it would have been a good challenge for Mick.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick's wearing a sky blue shirt on MOTD2 tonight,could be true!

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He coaches the Cov Academy kids. He still plays cricket (or was last season anyway) for Coventry & North Warwickshire too. Still extremely fit and active for his age.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By the way, why would Mick turn down Forest - a club in the Championship, with rumours of money behind them and plenty of ambition - for Coventry City - a club in League One, with no money and no ambition?

P

PeteWolf

By the way, why would Mick turn down Forest - a club in the Championship, with rumours of money behind them and plenty of ambition - for Coventry City - a club in League One, with no money and no ambition?

Forest fans have always demanded a passing style of football since Clough was there. He'd be on a hiding to nothing from the start.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it not supposed to be because of the owners making demands that Mick was not prepared to go along with.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think at Forest Mick sensed there would be a lot of boardroom interference. Didn't Forest try and sign 3 Kuwaiti internationals last week? Sure they weren't O'Driscoll signings.

I would imagine Mick has his sights set on something a tad higher than impoverished Coventry.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
On Skysports over the weekend, he said that he didn't attend the Forest interview because he had recently sold his house in the west midlands and didn't want to then head straight back to the east midlands. Also repeated that he thought he was good enough for a PL job.

Back
Top Bottom