Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Could Leicester blow it? Aka the Championship run in

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True that. I worked with a Leicester fan who said that who the Fox's local rivals were depended very much on where you lived. In Leicester itself, it was Derby/Notts but if you were closer to Warwickshire, perhaps in Nuneaton for example, then often Cov were hated the most.

As for Albion, we gifted them promotion 20 years ago, you think the buggers would be grateful!
Your first para sounds about right... See some Wolves fans views about Stoke....

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when football was about points you won on the pitch not those you lost on an accountant's spreadsheet
I agree with that to a point. However I don’t think there’s much wrong with trying to stop clubs from putting themselves in financial peril.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Free transfers are rarely "free". If the players are in demand they want a signing on fee and/or higher wages, a longer contract etc. See Doc's three year deal for example....
No but the signing on fee is rarely as much as a transfer fee...

£18m for Cutrone
£10m for Hoever
£30m for Guedes

The list is much longer, even some of our better players were bought for inflated fees.

You can't tell me there's no value with free agents, even when they don't work out any fee received should go some way to mitigating the initial outlay.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

£18m for Cutrone
£10m for Hoever
£30m for Guedes

The list is much longer, even some of our better players were bought for inflated fees.

You can't tell me there's no value with free agents, even when they don't work out any fee received should go some way to mitigating the initial outlay.
I certainly wouldn't rule out judicious use of the option.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

£18m for Cutrone
£10m for Hoever
£30m for Guedes

I think it’s something to explore more for sure the only issues in my mind is the really good players who would improve us would be after astronomical wages due to being on a free and then (granted this is left field) but I’m struggling to think of any real success stories of free signings. On the whole they tend to just drift out of the game like their hunger has gone.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Crazy really, could be heading for 100 points, and still looks like any two from 3. What's the record for most points without automatic promotion?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s something to explore more for sure the only issues in my mind is the really good players who would improve us would be after astronomical wages due to being on a free and then (granted this is left field) but I’m struggling to think of any real success stories of free signings. On the whole they tend to just drift out of the game like their hunger has gone.
Sol Campbell was a total flop obviously, Zlatan too.

I know they're extreme examples so how about Gary McAllister, James Milner (twice) and Jay Jay Okocha?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy really, could be heading for 100 points, and still looks like any two from 3. What's the record for most points without automatic promotion?

From what I can find it was Sunderland in the 97/98 season with 90 points, 1.96 points per game (ppg) - they lost in the play-offs too. No team has ever averaged over 2.0 ppg over a season and not got automatic promotion. Currently all of the top 4 in the Championship are averaging 2.0 ppg or more.

Brighton also missed out on automatic promotion on goal difference in 15/16 with a tally of 89 points - they also lost in the play-offs.

Looks like both the PL and Champ are heading for an entertaining end of season.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know they're extreme examples so how about Gary McAllister, James Milner (twice) and Jay Jay Okocha?
Trouble is barring Milner the rest have been well over a decade ago. Not saying you’re wrong just the success rate of free transfers is very low.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or be put towards a number signing on fee for a free transfer...

I know it's not real but when playing FIFA or Football Manager I'd always look at what free transfers were available before dropping multi millions in strengthening the squad...

It's an avenue that's barely been explored in the Fosun era, which is stupid in my opinion.
costs.PNG
Yeah baby

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Just read on the BBC sports page they could be docked points next season for financial irregularities

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Ruddy and Ryan Bennett were free transfers I think? Both good signings

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Ruddy and Ryan Bennett were free transfers I think? Both good signings
They were, however I would add it’s easier to attract championship players in the championship than where we are now. We were a big fish in a small pond. Now if we look at a free transfer that genuinely improves us they’ll have more attractive offers from bigger clubs than us.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sunderland got 90 and lost in playoffs.

Portsmouth got to 88 in mid 90s and also lost in playoff semi final

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Zlatan a total flop? Where? When?

If you mean Utd, he scored over a goal every 2 games in a shambles of a team.

Back
Top Bottom