Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Conor Ronan

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What has gone wrong with his development? He seemed so well spoken of when he featured briefly for the first team. He featured a bit on loan but is not playing for the under-23s or training with the first team squad, it seems.

D

Deleted member 4594

Mentioned on another thread that I still think he could be a class player. Excellent against Southampton and Man City last season.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is (was!?) a fantastic player. For me the equal of MGW but it looks like Nuno just does not fancy him. A real shame if he does not make it with us.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think he will ever be good enough, all the best in his future endeavours.

D

Deleted member 3573J

He is (was!?) a fantastic player. For me the equal of MGW but it looks like Nuno just does not fancy him. A real shame if he does not make it with us.

Never in the same class as Gibbs-White, who's technically as gifted as anyone at the club. Ronan is a bit like Graham, he looked alright in a dreadful team the season before last but more than likely not going to be good enough for us. He could barely get in Portsmouth's team so I don't have much hope for him.

L

luckyjim

He once had a good game against a poor Wigan side that sat back and were happy to give him the ball.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

On what basis? MGW doesn't look out of place in our squad and CR couldn't get a regular start for Portsmouth. I think your remembering the early promise not the current reality. He may come good but I'm confident MGW will be playing at a higher level for the next decade or more.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think Ronan could be pretty good but in our current set up, I'm not sure of his best position?

Be interesting to know the club's thoughts on him.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Just the standard Wolves youth player.

Hyped up incredibly. The new *insert name of brilliant player in his position*

Plays a few games, is the best player on the pitch if he does okay, is a decent player if he plays bad.

Then, it's not as clear cut.

If they carry on, people eventually realise their limitations and they eventually become a scapegoat and find their level in the lower leagues.

Mark Little, Mark Davies, David Davis, Dominic Iorfa, Zeli Ismail and many, many more like this.

To be fair it's not just us. Did anyone see the Arsenal game? That Guendouzi was awful. At fault for the Sterling goal, lost the ball several times and a schoolboy error meant that Aguero had a one v one that he somehow managed to miss when he should've squared it.

Basically, it's impossible to judge younger players objectively. They're never judged fairly and are massively over-hyped, whether they're good, bad or incredible.

Ronan falls into that category, he's not played enough and nobody can judge him properly.

However, if 18 y/o MGW is ahead of him then he isn't going to have a career here I don't think.

Wish him all the best.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the fact he hardly pulled up any trees at Portsmouth suggests he’s not quite the player we hoped he would turn into.

Seems a humble chap, I’m sure he’ll make a decent career in football. But I doubt that will be Wolves in the near future.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He once had a good game against a poor Wigan side that sat back and were happy to give him the ball.

and in fairness that was only for the last 20 minutes when he switched to the middle.

Seemed like a great lad but hasn't pushed on as so many thought he would. It's always so hard to tell who will step up.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW is on a different planet to Ronan!!!

Got to agree. Ronan is neat and tidy, can easily play at league one and probably eventually carve out a decent career in the championship.

Gibbs-White is already capable of influencing games at a higher level and didn't look remotely out of place in a premier league game.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Good player but probably doesn’t quite fit our system, think he’d be a really good number 10 in a 4231 like we used to play.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ronan is about League two standard, and if he does make progress it would only be to league One at best.. he needs to be gone for his own good.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
I'd heard a lot about him before I first saw him play but tbh the first few times I saw him I thought the game kind of passed him by, even in his cameo v Liverpool a couple of years ago.

Then came Southampton last season and it's no exaggeration to say he was the difference between the sides - he replaced a clearly unfit Marshall at halftime and we were so much better as a result in the second half. I thought maybe there is something there worth persevering with.

Unfortunately that seems to have been the exception not the rule. Firstly I don't see where he fits into the side the way we play, but his main problem is he is neither physically strong nor particularly quick.

In the modern game you can get away with one but not both unless you have a big enough personality on the pitch to be able to demand the ball and/or dictate the game and Ronan (like most) doesn't seem to have this either.

He is the sort of player that could have been a star 30 years ago but there simply isn't room for players of his ilk in today's top sides.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just dont think Ronan fits our system. He isnt a bad player, but i think he is done here.

E

Eddie's Eagle

My Portsmouth supporting friend said he was too good for most of their players, always one pass / move in front.

Funny ol' game. I hope he carves a good career for himself wherever he ends up.

B

Benson

Ronan was seen as more talented than Gibbs-White a couple of years ago, but as often with young players some continue to develop, some dont. Guess Ronan has not been able to manage the harder physical demands since Nuno arrived. Dont think it is an attitude thing. More likely his body just dont want to grow to adult size, no matter how hard he trains.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
What has gone wrong with his development? He seemed so well spoken of when he featured briefly for the first team. He featured a bit on loan but is not playing for the under-23s or training with the first team squad, it seems.
Connor played for a Wolves Academy XI in Rhyl last night.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very tidy little player bit doesn’t possess the ‘wow’ factor to allow for his inclusion and certainly not at this level!

He’ll have a decent career don’t get me wrong but won’t be with us at all

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't sell either. He has something that would fit Nuno's style I'm convinced he Is worth persevering with in my opinion.

W

we8wba

Thing was he was good against mancity who allowed him pass ball sideways and keep tidy but wasn’t like he ran the show

We get far too hyped on our youngsters being good enough ronan, giles, bright in Cup or friendlies

They haven’t really produced consistently when it counts

Doesn’t mean none will make it, they need loans they need consistent minutes and they need to perform! Ronan loan to Pompey was perfect platform and it never worked out

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i'd say Ronan looked equally as bright as MGW when he was in the team, if not even more dangerous, people have very short memories.

However he's much older than MGW and doesn't have anywhere near the physical capabilities, despite having a really smart footballing brain and great technique. For me his loan spell at Portsmouth was really disappointing and i have been proved wrong. Don't know how anyone has seen MGW play better for the first team though, Ronan has changed games, whilst MGW has a lot of enenrgy he hasn't produced anything yet, although i'm sure he will.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's more the performances at the tail end of 2016/7 than Man City.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I havent seen enough of him to form an opinion but maybe its just that the club as a whole has simply moved on too fast for him at his own level of development. He seems a very genuine and level- headed lad and I can only wish him success for the future wherever that may turn out to be if perhaps not likely now at Wolves.

C

crd

Its a well known fact that "mixed race" or whatever the current politically correct term is these days players mature at a slightly accelerated to others note the rate at which say Bright or Dom look more physically mature than others but then it seems to level out around the age of 21. Note the England youth teams as an example but as the saying goes a good big un will also get in ahead of a good little un .. will be interesting to see how MGW and Samuels mature/level out as they age

D

Deleted member 4594

Its a well known fact that "mixed race" or whatever the current politically correct term is these days players mature at a slightly accelerated to others note the rate at which say Bright or Dom look more physically mature than others but then it seems to level out around the age of 21. Note the England youth teams as an example but as the saying goes a good big un will also get in ahead of a good little un .. will be interesting to see how MGW and Samuels mature/level out as they age
I don’t think Bright, Iorfa or Samuels are mixed race!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think people are writing this lad off far too quickly. Needs a good loan spell somewhere. I would not sell him.
Agreed. He needs playing time and then we wil find out what he is made of. I thought when Nuno came in Ronan would thrive as his passing ability and football brain seemed to be so good. So I'm surprised Nuno hasn't given him more of a chance.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

First time I've heard this theory, people of mixed race mature earlier. Sounds like bs. If you're good enough then you'll get a look in like MGW has. Obvs he must be doing something that Ronan isn't, it's as simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom