Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coady

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs usually build a team around a stellar signing.

We seemed to have built our style around a stellar talker.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Conor and Nuno caught lightning In a bottle. Much like Mick did with Doyle.

I think we've rinsed Coady for what he had.

I've felt for about 18 months that we need to cash in whilst his stock is high and whilst people who don't see him in detail, week-in-week-out are prepared to waste money on him.

I think his powers are vastly overestimated and are largely superficial

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've been a long time defender of him AS a defender. For instance, I have no issues with him playing in the back four. For 3/4's of the season he was one of our best players. But in the run-in his levels really dropped off, and the things he gets praised for -by me too- such as leadership and organisation seemed to vanish.

It could just be a bad run of form. It happens. And he could still be our captain next season. He's earned the status of a legend here either way. But I'm also far more open to the idea of moving him on than I was earlier in the season. Maybe it's time. For him, too. A new challenge for him, and a new defender needed for us. We'll see.

Great bloke, great captain. Poor run of performances. Lets see what the summer brings.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does a bad run of form mean we should sell players now? Coady had probably his best form for us in the first half of the season. The whole team has massively dipped in form, including Coady, but why does that mean we should give up on him and sell him?!

We have Coady, Kilman, Boly, Saiss and Toti as centre backs. As we play 3 of them we probably already needed another one. Saiss is leaving so that makes it two new centre backs required, big question marks over Boly too, so three?! And we should sell Coady too?

I swear people just wanna sell everyone and start again.

Have a bit of faith. He’s a club legend who was having his best season up until February.

Last edited:

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No denying the passion, charisma and his love of the club….. unfortunately sentiment aside we need to upgrade cb as a priority along with cm

T

TheConcourse

We’ve got to be really careful here.

Boly, Saiss, Moutinho, Neves, Coady, Jimenez - you can’t lose all of your senior players in one window. It’ll be absolute carnage.

I’ve made my feelings pretty clear on Coady. As a Premier League defender who has to defend he’s not the guy.

As someone who could give us the option to play a back three, particularly in the tougher games, or when fixtures pile up, he’ll be pretty useful.

He’s also pivotal to integrate new players into the squad.

I’d keep him around the squad, but I’ll be really disappointed if he’s starting games next season as our go-to CB in a back 4.

Less concerned if whoever comes in sticks with a 5 and we make two really good signings alongside him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve got to be really careful here.

Boly, Saiss, Moutinho, Neves, Coady, Jimenez - you can’t lose all of your senior players in one window. It’ll be absolute carnage.

I’ve made my feelings pretty clear on Coady. As a Premier League defender who has to defend he’s not the guy.

As someone who could give us the option to play a back three, particularly in the tougher games, or when fixtures pile up, he’ll be pretty useful.

He’s also pivotal to integrate new players into the squad.

I’d keep him around the squad, but I’ll be really disappointed if he’s starting games next season as our go-to CB in a back 4.

Less concerned if whoever comes in sticks with a 5 and we make two really good signings alongside him.

Moutinho is a massive one for me if Neves goes.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I too would happily see Coady go if it led to a more positive style of football.
Do we have another leader in the squad ? If not, up to Bruno or his replacement to find one.
It might do Coady good too. He must be aware of the risk of our situation if we get the summer transfer window wrong.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Our poor run of form defensively seems to have coincided with a drop off in Coadys own level compounded by Kilmans loss of form and injury.
Coady is still a very good player and one of the best leaders we have ever had.

T

TheConcourse

Moutinho is a massive one for me if Neves goes.
Totally agree. I’d keep Moutinho. No reason why he couldn’t play at the base of the midfield. Desperately needs someone more athletic next to him though, and for all of the sadness surrounding Neves, I’m kind of excited to see how the midfield evolves now.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been a long time defender of him AS a defender. For instance, I have no issues with him playing in the back four. For 3/4's of the season he was one of our best players. But in the run-in his levels really dropped off, and the things he gets praised for -by me too- such as leadership and organisation seemed to vanish.

It could just be a bad run of form. It happens. And he could still be our captain next season. He's earned the status of a legend here either way. But I'm also far more open to the idea of moving him on than I was earlier in the season. Maybe it's time. For him, too. A new challenge for him, and a new defender needed for us. We'll see.

Great bloke, great captain. Poor run of performances. Lets see what the summer brings.
that's exactly my take too. Excellent player and brings a lot to the team. Poor form.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's never been quick but the last few weeks it's like he's been towing a caravan, whether that's due him being more exposed by the changes either side of him or carrying a knock, it's cost us time repeatedly in the run in and has to be resolved by next season if he's to remain in our defence.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been great for us but I would sell him this summer.

Yes it will be a risk and it always is a risk when a club captain leaves a club but it sort of reminds me to a smaller extent when Karl Henry was here and you could tell something needed to change.

New leaders always emerge at clubs and yes Coady has been a great captain and servant to the club but sometimes a move can be the best for all parties.

I am of the opinion that ruthless decisions need to be made this summer in the players we sell. Not just Coady but other players like Raul, Jonny, Boly I could see being sold.

Then up to Shi and Sellars to get the incomings right and that is their job so they must not fail.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you watch him defend against Pukki, who is very clever in his movement but by no means rapid, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that we've sacrificed all our attacking players over the years to ensure he doesn't get caught out as part of this defensive system.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our poor run of form defensively seems to have coincided with a drop off in Coadys own level compounded by Kilmans loss of form and injury.
Coady is still a very good player and one of the best leaders we have ever had.
Our poor run of form defensively coincided with Boly coming into the starting 11 and Saiss coming back after AFCON.

Boly looks nowhere near the excellent defender he was a couple of seasons ago and Saiss has lacked the consistency he had.

Both will probably leave this summer and will need to be replaced and upgraded. Thank you for the memories Willy and Romain.

Coady is up there with our best ever captains, Mike Bailey and Billy Wright imo and deserves a lot of credit. A great leader but I wish he was a bit quicker. He’s been exposed for speed a lot recently due to Boly and Saiss poor form. Get a couple of experienced new central defenders alongside him and have Kilman and Gomes providing the competition. Easy ay it!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great leader but increasingly seems to get caught flat footed when the opposition move the ball quickly and when the opposition have a target man type of centre forward (Mitrovic being a case in point whenever he's faced him for Fulham). Personally, would like to see him replaced with a quicker centre half, as pace is something we lack through the spine of the team.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like we won't have any leaders left at the club the way it is going

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Boly, Moutinho, Saiss, and Jimenez are all shot though, they need replacing and they're a big drain on resources.

Realistically we should have been succession planning on all of these players three, four, years ago, and we wouldn't be in this situation now.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Looks like we won't have any leaders left at the club the way it is going
Agree, and that would be a disaster. You cannot change all of your leaders at once. We'd become a rudderless ship and there's only one way to go after that.
The blame for the situation we have now (player wise) has to be squarely on the board for not succession planning. Now we are at the point where we are talking about replacing a whole team!
Granted Crystal Palace did similar this season and have managed to ride the storm, but are our board savvy enough to do the same?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly, Moutinho, Saiss, and Jimenez are all shot though, they need replacing and they're a big drain on resources.

Realistically we should have been succession planning on all of these players three, four, years ago, and we wouldn't be in this situation now.
I noticed on Sunday that Mouts dwelt on the ball longer.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could've been worked out, he's also been prone to dropping off because the lack of pace, players seem to be pulling off him and finding space around him way too easy.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mentioned on another thread, on the end of season lap, Coady was not his usual smiley, fist pumping, positive self....looked very 'down in the mouth' to me.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's never been quick but the last few weeks it's like he's been towing a caravan, whether that's due him being more exposed by the changes either side of him or carrying a knock, it's cost us time repeatedly in the run in and has to be resolved by next season if he's to remain in our defence.
I do seem to remember that a couple of months ago he was carrying an injury which Lage admitted they were having to manage. Wonder if he has not got over it yet and can only run at 70-80%?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves, Coady, Ruddy are all leaders.
And when they leave, new ones should arise.

Though, I think with Coady, it is more whether he would accept a bit-part role. Love him, but I can't see him being the solid back 4 CB that it seems the league is dictating we move towards, Kilman needs a big, solid and well versed partner (think Jonny Evans for Leicester), whether we can find one is another matter.

T

TheConcourse

I’m with you.

It’s been hard for Wolves to create a culture like family whilst simultaneously selling players, not recycling under performers quickly enough whilst still operating within their core values.

The biggest red flag for me is the comment from Sellars about not bankrupting the club to climb a couple of places, when in reality you need to keep refreshing the squad to keep things from going stale.

Spending those millions is as much a maintenance thing as it is a progression thing. Now we’re here. 4-7 senior players leaving/bang out of form and we’re the best part of a £100m+ squad build to maintain parity.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest red flag for me is the comment from Sellars about not bankrupting the club to climb a couple of places, when in reality you need to keep refreshing the squad to keep things from going stale.

100%, and to highlight the absurdity: if we'd reinforced in January, in all likelihood we would've qualified for Europe. The additional revenue would've paid for the January window and we'd be a much more attractive proposition for new recruits (and could even tempt some of our better players to stay).

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mentioned on another thread, on the end of season lap, Coady was not his usual smiley, fist pumping, positive self....looked very 'down in the mouth' to me.
If we had won the game i think he would have been more bubbly
You cant really go running around fist pumping after a string of poor performing results and the team being booed several times can you?
If he had done so we would have posters saying why is the club captain so happy after that dross? lol

Reaction score
And when they leave, new ones should arise.

Though, I think with Coady, it is more whether he would accept a bit-part role. Love him, but I can't see him being the solid back 4 CB that it seems the league is dictating we move towards, Kilman needs a big, solid and well versed partner (think Jonny Evans for Leicester), whether we can find one is another matter.
Coady is a really tricky one to call in the circumstances we now find ourselves. I'd love him to stay a bit longer just for that sense of continuity and 'keeping the ship steady' if nothing else.

But another part of equation might be the World Cup, he will want to remain in the England set up for the tournament I presume. Being in a bit-part role for club makes his squad place quite difficult for Southgate to justify?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we had won the game i think he would have been more bubbly
You cant really go running around fist pumping after a string of poor performing results and the team being booed several times can you?
If he had done so we would have posters saying why is the club captain so happy after that dross? lol
Maybe, but for me that lap is about thanking the fans for their support over the whole season.....he just seemed a bit not himself......maybe it's just me laying my mood on him, putting 2 + 2 and coming up with -5

Back
Top Bottom