Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coady

PM Wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Seemed like that substitution was a symbol of the end is nigh for our great captain.

Unfortunately he is going to be a victim of the Bruno revolution - like Edwards and co before him, this needs to happen to fully realise the potential of this team.

This is not a Coady bashing thread, just to me, it looked like a poignant moment, he seemed to know it as well.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how going 4 at the back helps necessarily. We are getting plenty forward and having chances, who on the bench is magically going to score the goals if we have an extra attacking player? Our wingbacks will have to be much less attacking too.

I think we will start scoring and a back 5 will be fine.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
mmm... I did have similar thoughts myself. We will see.

geowolf

Reaction score
Obvious player to sub as a last-ditch effort. 343 is absolutely fine provided the wing-backs really push on which they didn't today imv.

superwolves

Reaction score
Went 4 at the back against spurs and saiss came off. How many centre backs do we want on the bench boly mosquera if we sign another. The system is working fine were playing well and creating plenty of chances

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nonsense. Just a last ditch tactical switch
If it was that simple why not take off Kilman or Saiss, rather than our captain? I thought it was a strange decision but perhaps, as usual on here, we're all reading too much into it?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's obvious that the two bids for centre backs are the writing on the wall for both Saiss and Coady. They've both been excellent servants to the club and I'm sure somebody will remind me that without Coady we won't have a shouty man on the pitch, but we have to move past playing a system to try and hide the deficiencies of two slow, Championship standard midfielders playing as centre backs.

Bruno Lage will play his system when he's confident he has the personnel to play it, and he knew from the early pre-season friendlies it wasn't going to be possible to start the season with a back four after a Spanish second division side tore us a new one. We'll have an extra man (Hwang/Silva) playing closer to Jimenez as the second striker, and Traore/Trincao/Podence/Neto will have an extra target to aim for in the box. We'll also have more numbers to sustain the high press that Lage wants.

Fingers crossed they can get Botman or Caleta-Car in before the deadline, it's by far the most important signing we can make at the moment and long overdue.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It's obvious that the two bids for centre backs are the writing on the wall for both Saiss and Coady. They've both been excellent servants to the club and I'm sure somebody will remind me that without Coady we won't have a shouty man on the pitch, but we have to move past playing a system to try and hide the deficiencies of two slow, Championship standard midfielders playing as centre backs.

Bruno Lage will play his system when he's confident he has the personnel to play it, and he knew from the early pre-season friendlies it wasn't going to be possible to start the season with a back four after a Spanish second division side tore us a new one. We'll have an extra man (Hwang/Silva) playing closer to Jimenez as the second striker, and Traore/Trincao/Podence/Neto will have an extra target to aim for in the box. We'll also have more numbers to sustain the high press that Lage wants.

Fingers crossed they can get Botman or Caleta-Car in before the deadline, it's by far the most important signing we can make at the moment and long overdue.
Think we might go 4-2-3-1. Trincao behind Raul when Pedro is back. Podence or MGW till then

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how going 4 at the back helps necessarily. We are getting plenty forward and having chances, who on the bench is magically going to score the goals if we have an extra attacking player? Our wingbacks will have to be much less attacking too.

Effectively what it means (in theory) is that if the play is going down the right hand side, Marcal drops and fills in and if the play goes down the left Semedo drops and fills in.

So you have the same amount of players in the final third as now and the same amount covering.

Currently.......
Final third: Raul, Traore, Trincao, Neves, Mout, Semedo, Marcal.

Holding... Coady, Kilman, Saiss

Would become......
Final third: Raul, Traore, Trincao, Neves, Mout, Semedo/(Marcal) , Podence.

Holding...Kilman, Saiss, Marcal/(Semedo)

So IMHO, The latter option puts an extra forward player in the danger area rather than a wingback
And
There is more pace holding to cover a transition.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we might go 4-2-3-1. Trincao behind Raul when Pedro is back. Podence or MGW till then

I think Hwang gives us options in terms of either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, but I do like the idea of Podence playing more centrally because he'd absolutely run the show there, always felt like he's wasted playing out wide.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

nothing obvious about it. Just because we're bidding on two players, does not mean we'll follow through and commit to signing more than one of them.

the defence has done little wrong. The team defending as a whole has been very effective.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't read that much into it at all. Adama was subbed at the same time, is that a sign he will now be sold?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

it means one extra man is the box or on the edge . Essential

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if Coads himself has self-doubts: knowing he has AGAIN made the England squad for Andorra and Hungary, is absolutely MEGA!

If anyone had said 3 years ago, that our captain would now become a regular for the national side - I am sure everyone would have been sheepish!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if Coads himself has self-doubts: knowing he has AGAIN made the England squad for Andorra and Hungary, is absolutely MEGA!

If anyone had said 3 years ago, that our captain would now become a regular for the national side - I am sure everyone would have been sheepish!
Regularly picked for the squad...not very regular for the side.....

Reactions: Ned

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it means one extra man is the box or on the edge . Essential

We had plenty forward in the first 3 matches. Made loads of chances and missed the lot. Trincao, Traore, Raul, Semedo, Marcal, Mouts and Neves were all way forward. Raul (fully fit)excluded, these are all players who need lots of chances to score. Line them all up on the edge of the box, they won't score because they can't. Just leaves us open.

For example, Liverpools first goal v Brentford, how many were forward? Hardly anyone. An inch perfect cross over the head of the tall defender and on to the head of Jota, that's what it took. Quality, not quantity. :D We have not really had those moments - other than Raul's magnificance the other day. The team has played great until it gets to that final ball. 4 at the back or 3 or 5 at the back, makes not a jot(a) of difference in those moments.

<EDIT> Didn't Kilman have a run into the opponents area *in open play*? What more "forward" do you want? He didn't score, though.

Last edited:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had plenty forward in the first 3 matches. Made loads of chances and missed the lot. Trincao, Traore, Raul, Semedo, Marcal, Mouts and Neves were all way forward. Raul (fully fit)excluded, these are all players who need lots of chances to score. Line them all up on the edge of the box, they won't score because they can't. Just leaves us open.

For example, Liverpools first goal v Brentford, how many were forward? Hardly anyone. An inch perfect cross over the head of the tall defender and on to the head of Jota, that's what it took. Quality, not quantity. :D We have not really had those moments - other than Raul's magnificance the other day. The team has played great until it gets to that final ball. 4 at the back or 3 or 5 at the back, makes not a jot(a) of difference in those moments.

Having a quality finisher like Jota helps too.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It was cool at the start and I'm happy for him but frankly i couldn't really care less for meaningless games

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a quality sweeper. When we defend deep or when we want someone to start attacks, I can't think of many better.

Obviously has his limitations but I find the speed at which he gets pelters baffling.

He's a thoroughly good sweeper and is in the England squad on merit. He's not your typical centre half and when he plays either side of the sweeper (or in a 4), he's nowhere near as effective.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't argue with that piece tbh.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady's own positioning here is good, he's dropped deeper to compensate for his lack of pace and cut off the possibility of Toney finding Mbuemo with a through ball.

Garbage. He let toney run about 50 yards with the ball. Kilman showed on Saturday how to get tight to a player and that was against saint maxim

Back
Top Bottom